Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ty for spell list... Looks like Earth magic is kinda weak.

Looks like 1 mage is enough, Fire-Air one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anybody figured out what to do after you put the 4 power gems onto the podium and get the Essence of Fire? I've looked around all the areas so far and haven't found any more power gems or elemental shrine places, so I'm wondering if maybe the Essence of Fire opens a door to a new area or something.

The Essence of Fire is for the Quadruple Lock needed to get into the castle. Look for the four Buddha-esque statues in the courtyard in the map east of where you find the Fire Temple.

And I have newfound respect for my Rogue - went up against some Ice Elementals, and realized that due to his innate resistances and wearing the Cold Necklace that he had 100% Cold Resistance. :smug:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
also 5 on its own seems to be doing something, though it doesn't register for a spell, so it might be for a puzzle

It is. I found a message stating that the key to finding the secret shrine (?) is not the most complex of spells, but the most balanced of spells.

Now all we need is to know where to cast it and when.

Also, I found a joke item, the Orb of Vilson. You only need to look at it to get the joke.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Heads up - I pulled a lever in the "House of Needles" and suddenly several maps have been re-seeded with new monsters, lightning rocs and some sort of swarm monster.

EDIT: The swarm monster is an Air Elemental. It has a slow attack, but it pushes you back a couple of squares. And the Dispel spell is the ONLY thing that affects it.

Last edited:
Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I love this game . Really it was love at first sight, despite all its flaws.
After Divinity Original Sin [which i stll trying to complete due to lack of time in real life] it is second greatest crpg game of this year [par1 of LoG is also great dungeon crawler - and due to great mods on Steam workshops or Nexus it is totally awesome] , not to mention really good Might &Magic X.
Almost human is very close to make times of M&M, Ishar and Eye of The Beholder come to life again ;) . What i dream of is a game like LoG 2 in huge open world, with lot of cities, woods, small villages, great mountains, castles, caves and all that other fantasy stuff [it don't have to be such graphically advanced like modded Skyrim or upcoming AAA "crpg" blockbusters like Witcher 3 (which will be covered hack n' slash again) or Dragon Age : Inquisition - deviant heroes simulator ;) ] .
This part of LoG is nice improvement and step forward from previous part [ decision about going into overworld is great! ]. Im very happy that 90's crpgs style is still alive and popular, and it is great that most of old, mature crpg gamers are still around!
Ps.
I bought Wasteland 2 too, it is good and solid game, but far from awesome climate of first two Fallouts [ yes, i know its other brand, history of game, etc.] . I can't precise what is wrong with W2 it has nice graphics [besides chars creating screen , blehhh!], nice mechanics and good plot, fine locations etc. but its nowhere near to a great game like Divinity:Original Sin still .

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Those Air Elementals? I'm pretty sure Earth-based spells can hurt them, as the game has been harping on about "everything having an opposite". This tells me that the party's primary spellcaster should start with learning the first level of all four schools of magic before specializing.

I've also found the Fire Elementals. They're easier to deal with as their attack is a kamikaze fireball, they fly into you and die, but not without doing lots of damage first. Dispel one-shots them though, but they're FAST.

I've also reached the Crystal Mines and found some cannonballs. Does that mean I can get a cannon?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Made some absolutely awful choices at character creation, probably gonna restart soon.
:thumbsup:

2014-10-16_00007.jpg

2014-10-16_00008.jpg

2014-10-16_00009.jpg

2014-10-16_00010.jpg

Jaesun the Minotaur Farmer is pretty funny - hits pretty good and gains a lot of exp from consuming food, so that he's already lvl3 at the beginning of the game whereas everyone else is still lvl1. I wonder if/how this keeps up later.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah it's bad idea to combine multiple types of damage, like magic or firearms, sadly. Just not enough damage and skill points. Unless maybe you play hardcore with no hp/mana regen and only can save at stones. But still not sure.
And Fire + Water magic, first water spell I found requiers 1 Earth 1 Water to cast.
Heavy weapons needs Accuracy skill to land hits reliably.

Keep Jaesun for lulz though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm having trouble with two puzzles in the Archives section.

# The "Scroll - Rock - Sword" door. The obvious solution doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?
# The codes for the Archive doors. Any hints? I get the feeling they're garbled Finnish, but otherwise I'm not getting it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Alchemist sucks imo, at least in the beginning.

It quickly gets good, it was the first skill I maxed out. The Alchemist class grows the ingredients in his inventory, meaning you never really run out. At level 4 the skill makes Greater Healing/Energy Potions, and at Level 5 that bomb recipe gives you 3 bombs for the price of 1. So as a class he quickly starts paying off.

I have a feeling I'll need all those bombs when I go up against the Ratling boss and his goons. He makes Kee'ng Rat look kinda scrawny.

LeJosh

Savant
I'm really enjoying this at the moment, playing on hard and I've gotten to the third zone.

My party is Minotaur Fighter, Insectoid Battlemage, Ratling Alchemist and Human Wizard. Only trouble I've had is from Ratling dual wielders, they hit hard and fast.

Regarding the AI, I'd say it is a definite improvement, especially with how it positions its self and the speed their attacks trigger.

Great job by Almost Human.

Multi-headed Cow

I bought Wasteland 2 too, it is good and solid game, but far from awesome climate of first two Fallouts [ yes, i know its other brand, history of game, etc.] . I can't precise what is wrong with W2 it has nice graphics [besides chars creating screen , blehhh!], nice mechanics and good plot, fine locations etc. but its nowhere near to a great game like Divinity:Original Sin still .
It is kinda funny how Wasteland 2 panned out. If it was released up against yer Mass Effects and yer Dragon Ages and yer Alpha Protocols it would have been great, but it's up against Expeditions Conquistador, MMX, Blackguards, Heroes of a Broken Land, Grimrock 1 and 2, DOS, Shadowrun Dragonfall, etc. I've only played a tiny of bit of Wasteland 2 'cause every time I load it up I feel like I'd have a better time playing something else, most of my WL2 played time is just idling for the 500 Steam trading cards they attached to it. Wasteland 2's "Well it's ok" ends up being one of the weakest RPGs in recent memory. Sad because I had such high hopes for it, but good because there are so many good recent games. Plus there's shit I haven't even tried yet like Lords of Xulima which potentially could be another thing better than WL2.

Regarding the AI, I'd say it is a definite improvement, especially with how it positions its self and the speed their attacks trigger.

Great job by Almost Human.
Yeah, this has been an improvement. There's still room for a little bit of waltzing if you're so inclined but it's not as big of a deal as it was in 1. Gut feeling is it's a bit harder than Grimrock 1, both due to smarter AI and generally more dangerous enemies. The wound system is kind of cool too, had to do some quick item juggling to move weapons to non-crippled hands during fights.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wound system really makes healing potions important, good use for alchemy at least. Some wounds are really limiting like losing your shield hand or losing energy regen from legs.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Another reroll for me. Hard is really hard without superbly optimized party. So this time it is:

Anub'arak - Insectoid Fighter - 5 points into Strength & Vitality - Heavy Weapons & Accuracy - Quick & Chitin Armor (special attacks of the weapons are much stronger than the common ones, so fighter should be pretty good at them; won't max out accuracy, btw, but instead will give him a couple of levels of Concentration, maybe even full 5 - fighter looks like a mana hungry class and a frontline warrior will totally benefit from the ability to self-shield himself)

Drone - Insectoid Battlemage - 5 points into Vitality & Willpower - Earth Magic & Water Magic - Chitin Armor & Strong Mind (once I'll enable that +10 protection bonus for staff or orb, he's gonna become pretty tanky and, well, he'll also learn Concentration eventually so he'll also self-shield himself).

Ninjara - Ratling Rogue (yeah, I know that Ninjara was vixen, but the fuck you can do - no such furries in this game) - 5 points into Dexterity & Vitality - Light Weapons & Accuracy - Mutation & Aggressive (2 points into accuracy so she gains reach, then rushing for the 3 light weapons so she can dual-wield, then 3 points into critical strike so she can backstab - long road ahead; and yeah, rogues are great damage dealers, but I don't believe in the frontline rogues as they can't tank shit)

Plissken - Lizardman Wizard - 5 points into Vitality & Willpower - Concentration & Fire Magic - Endure Elements & Fast Metabolism (same build like before - worked like a charm).

So, this time there's no alchemist (alchemy is awesome, but I'm not sure if those extra reagents are really that helpful) and no minotaurs (IMO, headhunter is misleading - you're gaining skulls very slowly and, well, Aggressive talent will do much better over the distance; and in other areas they're so-so - they're ok barbarians, but I'm not sure if barbarian is actually better than fighter, that's what I'm testing atm).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

# The "Scroll - Rock - Sword" door. The obvious solution doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?
# The codes for the Archive doors. Any hints? I get the feeling they're garbled Finnish, but otherwise I'm not getting it.

There is scroll somewhere in Sewers (or in area above).

Shadenuat

Arcane

Some spells require earth+water, like ice spikes.

What was the point of this comment?

a) Earth magic isn't really that weak and works fine in taking down living enemies, like ogres or wargs
b) When it doesn't work use water magic that requires earth magic to work

I run 2 battle mages, Air+Fire & Water+Earth

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Some spells require earth+water, like ice spikes.

What was the point of this comment?

a) Earth magic isn't really that weak and works fine in taking down living enemies, like ogres or wargs
b) When it doesn't work use water magic that requires earth magic to work

I run 2 battle mages, Air+Fire & Water+Earth

Another puzzling comment.
Ok whatever. sure.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I am stuck in Sewers atm, if you figure how to get to cipher scroll, tell please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom