Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Ookla

Novice
So After reading some of the thread. Buy Grim Rock 2 or wait for like a 50% off sale?

I liked LOG 1. the combat and magic was meh, But the puzzles and exploration were good.
So according to the dex. Is the combat better and how is the puzzle and exploration?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=according&FORM=AWRE

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm an idiot.

I combed the game, map by map, trying to find the last secret.

Then I enter the pyramid, and I spot a corner of the map that's not filled out. I go and take a look...there was a whole section there I skipped out on because I didn't go down ONE pit.

Well, 5 minutes later I now have all 77 secrets. Apparentely I'm about 12 hours behind the first guy ever to find them all. I also managed to squeeze my Human Knight to Level 16, so yay.

That only leaves one thing for me...The "Relic" achievement.

Multi-headed Cow

.. one of them is even marked with a great big "DANGER!" sign.
Also, that's a subtle pointer to secret area actually, not a trap. I've found handy magic orb for my wizard after backtracking those insects through the teleporters, because they didn't spawn out of nowhere.
Yeah, that was a cool secret. Took me a while because I got target fixation on the first secret of it, then I finally figured out how to get the second. Thus far that one may have taken me the longest to solve, of the "You have the tools you need to do it already" kind. There are still some that I'm fairly sure I can't fuck with until later.
So After reading some of the thread. Buy Grim Rock 2 or wait for like a 50% off sale?

I liked LOG 1. the combat and magic was meh, But the puzzles and exploration were good.
So according to the dex. Is the combat better and how is the puzzle and exploration?
You haven't read the thread enough apparently. It's better than LoG1 in almost every way. Combat is the same basic idea though the enemies are by and large better and waltzing is less effective, magic is still mostly combat focused and meh (Very much like in 1), puzzles and exploration are even better in 2.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
If I were to point criticism at any part of Grimrock 2, it would be the story. It's just too vague to make any sense. It manages to build the basic premise that the island the party is stranded on is ruled by an Island Master and that he has plans for them, but what exactly are those plans? Why is he both helping them and putting them in harm's way? Is he testing them, and if so, why? It's never fully explained. Even after having completed the game, I'm not sure what the Island Master wanted.

Beyond that, LoG2 improves upon LoG1 in EVERY way. If you liked LoG1 you will love LoG2. If you didn't LoG1, then you have your answer right there.

Nyast

Cipher
The "Path of Eagles" one is actually quite easy to figure out once you realize that the path may not be visible. The path is identical to the raised path below it.

It's the "Disguised Path" that's pure trial and error, but I've seen a few of its ilk in usermade LoG1-dungeons, so always assume you'll have to take the MAXIMUM amount of twists and turns, especially AWAY from the other side.

Interestingly, there was no trial & error for me in that puzzle. The Disguised Path uses the same principle than the Eagle path. But what you have to look for is the texture of the ground ( the stone material looks different ). Yeah it's tricky, but after you've understood the Eagle path, it was kinda obvious.

Renevent

Cipher
Think I am about halfway through the game now...and damn...this is one of the best RPG's released in ages. The first game was great too, but aside from being a well made love letter to the 90's it was a bit simplistic. Almost Human turned everything up to 11...everything has been improved and expanded all with keeping the essence and atmosphere of the first game.

:thumbsup:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hımmm stuck on some secret, anyone knows how to get the "plate pants" (I presume it is) behind the iron gate when we first enter Ruins of Desarune. Tried everything, even meditated for another secret but still no luck :/

Edit: Goddamn... Just found the meteorite thanks to right and left eye :O

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hımmm stuck on some secret, anyone knows how to get the "plate pants" (I presume it is) behind the iron gate when we first enter Ruins of Desarune. Tried everything, even meditated for another secret but still no luck :/

:o I found left and right eye but no idea how they connect.

I wish I hadn't wasted my alchemists skill point on dumb stuff and just gone max alchemy -> max throwing. You get so many bombs, and they deal a lot of domage.

Monocause

Arcane
So how important is it to prance around in this one? The twitch element was what put me off giving the first one a try, it doesn't click for me in theory and i'm sure it wouldn't in practice either.

For the record, didn't like the Dungeon Master games either. Also cause of kiting.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So how important is it to prance around in this one? The twitch element was what put me off giving the first one a try, it doesn't click for me in theory and i'm sure it wouldn't in practice either.

For the record, didn't like the Dungeon Master games either. Also cause of kiting.
Kiting.
In DM.

Git gut, scrub.

Goddamnit, what did I miss now?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

The biggest change in LoG2 compared to...well, every dungeon crawler before it, is in the monster attack patterns. Almost every dungeon crawler before that had ONE melee attack that it would use at regular intervals and possibly a ranged attack that it would use if you stood still long enough. Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Stonekeep, etc. They're all like this.

LoG1 is a bit like this, but there are a few differences there. In LoG2 there are MASSIVE changes. Attacks will come at irregular intervals, they may execute a "flurry of slashes" attack that can quickly kill its target or even charge at you. Monsters will stand and wait instead of blindly walking into your line of fire, and they will use their ranged attack the MOMENT you walk into their line of fire. I learned that the best way to ensure victory was to let them take the initative and react to their movement/attacks. In almost every case where I would take the initiative I would be attacked.

And, naturally, avoid at all costs being boxed in. Some monsters can kill the entire party in seconds if that happens.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-21-legend-of-grimrock-2-review

It's the sort of game that demands complete submission - you either surrender and sink into its depths, or you'll glance off its somewhat cold and stony exterior and be left wondering what the fuss is about. Making that transition easier is a greater emphasis on presentation, with graphics that take full advantage of being freed from gloomy stone passageways and shambling monsters. Those still crop up, in several jaunts into underground caves and ruins, but now they're a chilling change of pace rather than a claustrophobic marathon. There are scenes here that are epic in comparison to what came before and, even through the rigid grid-based movement, Almost Human reveals them to the player in ways that will widen your eyes and lift your pulse. The allure of finding somewhere new never loses its shine.

We're so conditioned to expect sequels to cram in more features in an attempt to be noticeably different, but there's a quiet confidence to Grimrock 2 that is utterly beguiling. Bigger, bolder and utterly sure of itself and its intended audience, Almost Human may be looking to the past for inspiration, but it's created one of the best pure role-playing games of the year.

9 / 10

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That didn't take long. Someone dug through the LoG2 code and discovered how to get the "Relic" achivement.

There's a spot in the "Barren Desert" map, six squares south of a stone that speaks of six sides. Dig there three times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.grimrock.net/2014/10/22/grimrock-2-update-2-1-13/

Grimrock 2 Update 2.1.13

We have just released a patch that updates Legend of Grimrock 2 to version 2.1.13. The patch fixes multiple issues, including some crash bugs, so it’s recommended that everybody updates to the latest version.

Steam version: the game should automatically update soon. If the game does not update in a few hours, restarting the Steam client should help.

Standalone version: if you are playing the standalone version, please download the patchthat updates the game installed on your computer.

GOG version: The patch also works with GOG installations but there is a slight kink. When a dialog appears saying that an existing installation can not be found and the patcher asks “Abort Installation?”, select No. You have to then navigate to the installation location of your GOG version of Legend of Grimrock 2.

We have sent the patched version to GOG and Humble Store and it will take some for them to process and make the new version available through their channels.

The patch is fully compatible with old save games. Here are the full release notes:

– fixed typo in a potion description
– improved precision of dual wielding damage calculations
– zarchtons no longer drop harpoons (this was not intended behavior)
– added missing embalmer’s pants to the game
– fixed jeweled scepter’s 3D model to fit inside chests
– fixed errors and clarified attribute tooltips
– clarified battle mage description (a magical staff is needed to get the +10 bonus to resistance or protection)
– changed resistance bonuses: strength now affects resist fire, dexterity affects resist shock, vitality affects resist poison and willpower affects resist cold
– added hit sound to pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)
– optimized opening of automap
– fixed “odd behavior of certain rock piles” when throwing items at them
– renamed trait: Weapon Specialization -> Martial Training
– tweaked stun effect to be less subtle
– tweaked chest map icon so that an exclamation mark icon on top of a chest is more visible
– improved precision of boss fight progress bar
– nerfed poison cloud’s poison effect
– bug fix: items can’t be thrown from mouse cursor when standing in front of a open secret door
– bug fix: a spell that was cut from the game during development can be cast by fiddling with the rune panel
– bug fix: loading certain save games can sometimes crash with “could not resolve monster group member with id XXXXX” error
– bug fix: buckler’s evasion bonus does not work (does not apply to old save games)
– bug fix: knight’s shield bonus does not work
– bug fix: max epic items statistics is wrong (should be 17, not 16)
– bug fix: viper roots can spawn under water and die immediately
– bug fix: healing potion effect is played on the wrong portrait if party formation is changed
– bug fix: fireburst and similar spells can be cast inside pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)
– bug fix: automap is not updated when falling down a level
– bug fix: game crashes when alt-tabbing during loading screen
– bug fix: item auto pickup logic does not take elevations into account (causes problems at the Skyway puzzle)
– bug fix: some map graphics are not shown on the automap after loading a save game
– bug fix: loading certain save games can sometimes crash with “inflate failed – ran out of available bytes” error
– bug fix: moving monster leave behind invisible blockers (very rarely) when the party is asleep
– bug fix: sleep darts put monsters to sleep even if the attack misses
– bug fix: armor set is considered to be equipped when shield is in inactive quick slot
– bug fix: monsters can fall down from ledges when they are leap attacking and party is standing on ladders
– bug fix: thrown items collide with marble statues behind the party when throwing items at the Shipwreck Beach
– bug fix: venom edge icon has a black smudge
– bug fix: rope can be used to climb down to a pit which has a teleporter over it
– bug fix: spell casting panel and potion crafting panels stay open when champion’s hand is injured
– bug fix: if the healing crystal is on a platform, the healing crystal is not shown on the map
– bug fix: player can climb ladders while overloaded

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eurogamer - MMX 10 review:
Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. - 7/10

Eurogamer - LoG2 review:
This is a place that invites exploration. Yet Almost Human has wisely resisted the lure of the sandbox. You're still restricted to the same old school grid pattern as before, the world built around the same reliable graph paper boxes that drove stylistic predecessors such as Eye of the Beholder. Often the game conspires to force you down narrow corridors, formed by trees or rocks as well as actual stone walls, but it also opens out when needed, into spacious clearings. It's an environment at once expansive and focussed. - 9/10

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Renevent

Cipher
Anyone know how dual wielding/2hd weapons/etc work? Basically what is the difference of the following cases (in terms of damage/accuracy if any):

-1hd weapon, none in other hand
-1hd weapon, shield in other hand
-1hd weapon, 1hd weapon
-2hd weapon, none in other hand
-2hd weapon, shield in other hand (has heavy weapons 5)
-2hd weapon, 2hd weapon (has heavy weapons 5)
etc etc I guess.

Basically wasn't sure how dual wielding and stuff like that effects dmg and accuracy if at all. I'm not even sure what the point of dual wielding is, since when you attack with 1 weapon all your icons are grayed out ( at least I think so) so not sure what the point is.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. - 7/10

Eurogamer - LoG2 review:
This is a place that invites exploration. Yet Almost Human has wisely resisted the lure of the sandbox. You're still restricted to the same old school grid pattern as before, the world built around the same reliable graph paper boxes that drove stylistic predecessors such as Eye of the Beholder. Often the game conspires to force you down narrow corridors, formed by trees or rocks as well as actual stone walls, but it also opens out when needed, into spacious clearings. It's an environment at once expansive and focussed. - 9/10

Not hatin', just sayin'.
There is a LOT more fighting in MMX than in LoG2 and especially by the endgame it gets ridiculously retarded with its combat spam (made even more egregious by spawning previously unseen enemies all around you to flank you). In comparison LoG does not have that many combat encounter (although it does have some slight level scaled respawning) and often the monsters serve more like another part of a puzzle than just a combat fodder. For the record I enjoyed both games.

dr. one

Augur
Finished the game in 30 hours, found almost all secrets, had a lot of fun.
The additions of open world design, more diversified puzzles and improved combat resulted in a sequel that doesn´t feel stale and is overall quite notably better than its already good predecessor.
I also have to say that Almost Human seem to be really good at managing scope and ambitions of their projects. Making their first game a fairly conservative, but polished product was a smart approach as it made them a good name and apparently laid out enough groundwork for them to comfortably deliver a bigger and more varied sequel without any loss in the polish department. At the same time they had enough restraint to keep the second game from feeling bloated/filler-filled, at least in my opinion, which is something a lot of developers seem to struggle with nowadays.
Hopefully they´ll stay that way while making LoG3, if it´s on the table.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter

Eurogamer - LoG2 review:

Not hatin', just sayin'.

You're aware that 'Eurogamer' is not a person right? Those reviews were written by 2 different people. Different people have different tastes in videogames. Shocking I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom