Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eurogamer - MMX 10 review:
Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. - 7/10

Eurogamer - LoG2 review:
This is a place that invites exploration. Yet Almost Human has wisely resisted the lure of the sandbox. You're still restricted to the same old school grid pattern as before, the world built around the same reliable graph paper boxes that drove stylistic predecessors such as Eye of the Beholder. Often the game conspires to force you down narrow corridors, formed by trees or rocks as well as actual stone walls, but it also opens out when needed, into spacious clearings. It's an environment at once expansive and focussed. - 9/10

Not hatin', just sayin'.

You're aware that 'Eurogamer' is not a person right? Those reviews were written by 2 different people. Different people have different tastes in videogames. Shocking I know.
Ur so smart.

Greatness

Cipher
I'm not even sure what the point of dual wielding is, since when you attack with 1 weapon all your icons are grayed out ( at least I think so) so not sure what the point is.

When you are dual wielding your weapons have independent cooldowns. You need at least 3 points (daggers) or 5 points (any light weapon) to unlock this ability. Other than getting the ability to attack twice the only difference is you take a penalty (25% for rogues, 40% for everyone else) on both of your weapon's base damages.

Two-Handed weapons will always set both slots on cooldown. If you have max two-handed weapon skill then you can hold another item in the second slot, but it will still share cooldown. This is useful to allow you to equip a heavy weapon while also holding items which give passive bonuses, like shields or staves.

Renevent

Cipher
I'm not even sure what the point of dual wielding is, since when you attack with 1 weapon all your icons are grayed out ( at least I think so) so not sure what the point is.

When you are dual wielding your weapons have independent cooldowns. You need at least 3 points (daggers) or 5 points (any light weapon) to unlock this ability. Other than getting the ability to attack twice the only difference is you take a penalty (25% for rogues, 40% for everyone else) on both of your weapon's base damages.

Two-Handed weapons will always set both slots on cooldown. If you have max two-handed weapon skill then you can hold another item in the second slot, but it will still share cooldown. This is useful to allow you to equip a heavy weapon while also holding items which give passive bonuses, like shields or staves.

Cool, thnx!

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Eurogamer - MMX 10 review:
Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. - 7/10

Eurogamer - LoG2 review:
This is a place that invites exploration. Yet Almost Human has wisely resisted the lure of the sandbox. You're still restricted to the same old school grid pattern as before, the world built around the same reliable graph paper boxes that drove stylistic predecessors such as Eye of the Beholder. Often the game conspires to force you down narrow corridors, formed by trees or rocks as well as actual stone walls, but it also opens out when needed, into spacious clearings. It's an environment at once expansive and focussed. - 9/10

Not hatin', just sayin'.

I think LOGII is the better game. I agree with the score difference.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Wow, mages and fighters are so fucking nerfed in the new patch - with the willpower now influencing mana regen, they set the basic regen rate to a crawl so, unless you like to rest every five minutes or so, you are no longer a combatant. And it's not like you can really build up your willpower. Ugh.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hm, I guess it's good that the GOG version hasn't been patched yet. But that does give you more incentive not to dump stat anything and giving real trade offs when you're chargenning - that's a good thing.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, mages and fighters are so fucking nerfed in the new patch - with the willpower now influencing mana regen, they set the basic regen rate to a crawl so, unless you like to rest every five minutes or so, you are no longer a combatant. And it's not like you can really build up your willpower. Ugh.

You can, if you have a nice maxxed-out Alchemist in your group. Also, he can easily brew mana potions for your warriors. Put it in their alternate set and you're good to go

Pope Amole II

Developer
You can, if you have a nice maxxed-out Alchemist in your group. Also, he can easily brew mana potions for your warriors. Put it in their alternate set and you're good to go

An alchemist means about five extra crystal flower per game, totalling out at what, 25 in total, 25 willpower? Considering my Lizardman's 70% bonus regen energy is regenerating seemingly slower than it was at 30% bonus level in the previous patch, I don't think that's gonna help. And mana pots are hardly the solution - even with the alchemy, you'll have about 90 mana pots through the entire game. 1 high-tier pot is 6 shocks-3 lightning bolts-almost 2 meteor strikes. That's not a lot, considering how tanky the monsters on hard are and that some of those etherweeds you'll want for other purposes (frost bombs, for example).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is why I'm glad I decided to give it time for some bug/balancing fixes.

Pope Amole II

Developer
False alarm, lol - they've changed the descriptions but haven't really done anything to the stats in that department. It's just that I never actually tested the regen speed and thought it was faster - I guess you get engrossed in the game and time flows faster for you.

Multi-headed Cow

Not hatin', just sayin'.
If I completely ignore the words the numbers are about right. LoG2's absolutely fantastic, MMX is pretty decent/good. Certainly not to defend Eurogamer since they're awful, but those scores are accurate for me. Maybe even make MMX a 6 just because the constant status effects enemies apply to you is annoying as fuck considering how short buffs last and there are no glorious Xeen-like magic trinkets so your dumbass fighter can wake up the rest of the party with a flute. Actually neh, fuck it, 7. Wasteland 2 gets 5 or 6 good for what it is range.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm approaching the endgame now. I feel like I know a lot about the fifth shrine, just not where it is. I also have a lot of golden keys I don't know what to do with. Could really use a better ranged weapon since crossbow/shortbow at this point in the game feels ridiculous.

I really regret putting 5 points into firearms with my alchemist, it's a pretty bad skill compared to the rest I feel.

valcik

Arcane
I feel like I know a lot about the fifth shrine, just not where it is.
Slight hint:
One of the talking heads would tell you that the entrance is hidden in place where the elements are most balanced.. Just pay attention to the floor tiles while searching for it, there's a huge rune of balance engraved on it!

Renevent

Cipher
I'm approaching the endgame now. I feel like I know a lot about the fifth shrine, just not where it is. I also have a lot of golden keys I don't know what to do with. Could really use a better ranged weapon since crossbow/shortbow at this point in the game feels ridiculous.

I really regret putting 5 points into firearms with my alchemist, it's a pretty bad skill compared to the rest I feel.

In the cache cave (the one with a few different doors to unlock) the "Thief's cache" has a pretty nice bow. It does a nice amount of damage over the short bow and has a special attack that shoots two arrows at once. I regularly do 200+ dmg with it (100 or so per arrow). Not sure how that compares to the crossbow though since I haven't found it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I finished the game(the location of fifth shrine was really obvious once I stopped paying attention to the "listen to history of kilhaagan!"). The real final boss battle was pretty cool, although I did not mind the regular final boss either.

Posting my stats below so that my inability to find secrets can be preserved for posterity
BNluYae.jpg
are there any doors that can only be opened by the master key?

It was a good game. I was surprised by how nonlinear it could be at times. I was a bit disappointed in the lategame enemies as they were often rather vulnerable to waltzing, whereas earlygame most enemies had some good defense against that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only locks I've found are the ones in the area where you fight the Island Master, the ones the Trickster uses to unleash his traps. At least two of those open up new rooms, so be careful.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Another reason why I like to hold off despite them making a great first game. I don't read spoilers/meta gaming stuff but it's nice to know what skills are almost totally broken/out-of-whack so I can avoid them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Another reason why I like to hold off despite them making a great first game. I don't read spoilers/meta gaming stuff but it's nice to know what skills are almost totally broken/out-of-whack so I can avoid them.
The problem with it is that it basically does nothing. Each level does unlock new firearms due to stat requirements, but beyond that it just increases range by 1 (Which is largely pointless). And the guns don't have pumped up damage to compensate. Compare with just about every other offensive skill in the game, where each point increases damage 20%. All other weapons(that I remember) also scale with your stats, but firearms don't.

So yeah, don't get firearms if you want to play somewhat optimally.

I think my biggest criticism of the game is the magic. Some enemies(like locusts) seem invulnerable to anything but magic/bombs and one enemy can only be hurt by one weapon and one spell. But other than that, magic is not very useful. The spell lists are really barren too

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are only 2 spells that need high level skills(one need 4 the other 5) for just 2 different schools...All other schools stop getting new spells after 3rd level.
Funny part is there are good number of different and useful spells up to that point but then just meteor strike and lightning bolt... Which are not really that good spells.

made

Arcane
Any way to change difficulty mid-game? Growing pretty tired of circle-strafing crabs or getting 2-shot.

Greatness

Cipher
skills.jpg

Wonder why they ended up not going with their originally planned skill trees. The character system is definitely better than the original, but it's still quite simplistic. Especially regarding skills, pretty much you just max out your 3 chosen skills and forget about the rest.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
About 5 hours into this. Pretty engaging. They did a really good job with the day/night cycles I found. Areas are transformed when dusk comes.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I use firearms as a backup weapon for my alchemist (who is also my mage). They come in handy after spamming six fireballs or whatever and I'm out of mana. Just got the Dragon's Breath revolver. Is a pretty cool guy, eh kills elementals and doesn't afraid of anything.

Renevent

Cipher
I think my biggest criticism of the game is the magic. Some enemies(like locusts) seem invulnerable to anything but magic/bombs and one enemy can only be hurt by one weapon and one spell. But other than that, magic is not very useful. The spell lists are really barren too

Magic is super useful, IMO. My firemage does a big portion of the damage my party puts out, and was especially crucial in earlier levels when my melee front row wasn't that effective yet. Magic has some other nice utility spells, like "light" which makes carrying torches around (both hampering an active hand slot and the weight of carrying a few spare ones) a non-issue.

Beyond that there are some puzzles that can be solved if you have certain spells as well.

Overall, I'd say magic is one of the most useful specializations you can have in a party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom