Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

JoKa

Cipher
If you play around with the runes you notice that the middle rune doesn't 'fizzle' if used on its own. big clue right there.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah, should have looked there. I just assumed, since I've seen other games make their manuals accessible from within the Steam launcher (at worst a sticky link in the game's forum section) that the lack of such options for Steam meant that there was no manual.

Also, the LoG1 manual wasn't exactly thrilling reading.

EDIT: Read the manual, the pages that name each rune state that the center one is Balance...and that seems to be the only direct reference.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I dusted off saves to continue and I forgot one thing - where is the note that point you to use Serpent Staff from fugus cave to spit on pyramid door? My memory is that bad or I missed something?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ok... Ending question. Did anyone get it without looking up the answer?

It's explained in the manual and in the manual only.
Honestly, it was not very hard. I noticed it was a thing when experimenting trying to find new spells, but mainly
"The key is not the most complex spell, but the simplest"+ if you find the location it's engraved into the ground. The rune is also located on the spell board in the middle of all the elements, which is another big hint.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I dusted off saves to continue and I forgot one thing - where is the note that point you to use Serpent Staff from fugus cave to spit on pyramid door? My memory is that bad or I missed something?

AFAIK there isn't one. The only written clue is that the key was lost long ago and considered "beyond recovery".

The only real clue in-game are the golden serpent statues outside the pyramid, and the fact that the description for the serpent staff says that it looks like a golden serpent. The devs were hoping that someone would make the connection and be able to progress.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though the only idea was to play as a dissapointed tourist that spit on the closed doors after long trip or something... Overthinking, I know.
And it happened to me - got access to Castle Nex before visiting desert&pyramids.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

AFAIK there isn't one. The only written clue is that the key was lost long ago and considered "beyond recovery".

The only real clue in-game are the golden serpent statues outside the pyramid, and the fact that the description for the serpent staff says that it looks like a golden serpent. The devs were hoping that someone would make the connection and be able to progress.
One of the heads also says something like "The serpents can be reawoken" or something. It is tenuous, but I managed to figure it out, and I am bad at puzzle games.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If you play around with the runes you notice that the middle rune doesn't 'fizzle' if used on its own. big clue right there.
Yes, that there's a bug in the casting system.

Ok... Ending question. Did anyone get it without looking up the answer?
It's explained in the manual and in the manual only.
Honestly, it was not very hard. I noticed it was a thing when experimenting trying to find new spells, but mainly
"The key is not the most complex spell, but the simplest"+ if you find the location it's engraved into the ground. The rune is also located on the spell board in the middle of all the elements, which is another big hint.
Except it's not a spell. Spells do things. This "spell" doesn't do anything.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Didn't finished wl2 or d: os but this...
Finished it. Was better in lot of aspects. And boss was decent, not some shitty cube like before. Ah, I almost forgot to grab his key...

Thing that suprised me is the weight of the fanmade dungeons, now it's only dozen of kilobytes when LoG1 got some heavy stuff. Another improvement. I think about playing some of them and done with the game, just like LoG1 - vanilia, some custom dungs and get fed with it.
Any promising dungs? Or everyone abandoned ship after playthrouhgh?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.grimrock.net/2014/11/11/grimrock-2-update-2-1-17/

The second patch for Legend of Grimrock 2 is now out! The patch will update the game to version 2.1.17 and fixes several issues and also extends modding capabilities.

Steam version: the game should automatically update soon. If the game does not update in a few hours, restarting the Steam client should help.

Standalone version: if you are playing the standalone version, please download the patchthat updates the game installed on your computer.

GOG version: The patch also works with GOG installations but there is a slight kink. When a dialog appears saying that an existing installation can not be found and the patcher asks “Abort Installation?”, select No. You have to then navigate to the installation location of your GOG version of Legend of Grimrock 2.

We have sent the patched version to GOG and Humble Store and it will take some for them to process and make the new version available through their channels.

Here are the full release notes:

– tweaked a treasure instruction hint
– improved sewer pentomino puzzle reset logic
– fixed some cosmetic issues in levels
– mods: improved support for custom classes, races, skills and spells
– mods: added lots of new scripting functions and hooks
– bug fix: burnt out torch deal fire damage
– bug fix: ghost item appears on the ground when spawning an item into champion’s inventory
– bug fix: game can crash while digging in cemetery
– bug fix: saving the game while falling crashes
– bug fix: magma golem’s spit attack crashes after loading a save game
– bug fix: block puzzle in sleet island can get into unsolvable state
– bug fix: minor ceiling shaft visual glitch in Ruins of Desarune
– bug fix: fixed typos in item descriptions
– bug fix: an item on a magic bridge sometimes does not fall when the bridge disappears
– bug fix: healing crystals slowly drift from their initial position during the course of the adventure
– bug fix: dungeon editor crashes when ‘[‘ is typed into asset browser’s find box
– bug fix: dungeon exporting fails if dungeon contains script entities with external scripts
– bug fix: audio volume is not correct when changing current level immediately after waking up

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
15 hours in, and dont have the urge to play on. Its a great game, but i think it lost what made Grimrock fun for me. I liked the compact dungeon where you go deeper and deeper, with a clear sense of progression, the dream sequences, the puzzles which were not spread out and the feeling of isolation.

Im not digging the open world and size of the sequel. I dont like to leave whole sections unfinished and looking for a solution somewhere else, which requires me to backtrack all over the place.

Im sure people who like big open games are loving this, but i lost motivation to play any further. Maybe ill come back to it another day.

I played Grimrock 1 twice, and still see myself playing it again. Grimrock 2 is a bit too big.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished last night - I was a huge fan of the first game and loved the EoB games back in the day, but this one left me a little undecided. The combat was much improved and the variety of locations and enemies was welcome but I'm not sure if the more open-world model worked for it. In the first game every time you heard the satisfying clink of a door opening somewhere you knew you were progressing further on your quest and deeper into the dungeon, whereas here it might simply mean you've gone sideways.

Being time-poor, I have no qualms about looking up a hint if I got stuck on a puzzle for more than a few minutes, but I seemed to be doing it a lot more for this game than the first. A lot of the puzzles were extremely obtuse and there were some blunders like making certain items essential to progress but not making it clear enough that you should make sure you hang on to them and not drop them in a random location due to carrying capacity issues.

My overall assessment is a very good game that slightly overstays it's welcome and that I can't imagine anyone managing to complete without a lot of help.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yes i did finish it as well with a bit of help from a walkthrough. I think they should've made it more linear like the first game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, you're saying RPGs should be more linear?

possibly_retarded.png

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i loved the first Grimrock for the fact, that it seemed to necro oldschool Dungeon Crawlers.
you have to like the sidestep lessons in dancing with your monstrous partners and i am fine with it, but the riddles and puzzles...meh, pull lever here, put smtg on that plate ect....those were a bit too much for me and i fear thats what still makes me shy away from part 2 atm.
maybe once it gets on sale for some bucks i will buy it, but i foresee me face palming due to a retarded amount of solving (or not!) too many of em puzzles.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

NuCodex

:troll:
I'm saying it should be more like LoG1. Non linear + a ton of puzzles + solutions and clues all over the place + backtracking trying to see if you missed a clue somewhere = frustrating.

DemonKing

Arcane

I actually like linear games - when you have very limited time to play the ability to sit down for an hour and feel like you've managed to progress a bit is not to be underestimated!

As the previous poster stated, a more linear experience also probably suits the gameplay of Grimrock a little better (although I did appreciate the interrelated environment they created in LoG2).

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Whoever says that nonlinear is better than linear by default has no clue. Both styles have pros and cons. \\
And yes a game like LoG works better when its more linear.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Try an hit him hard as early as possible. The more you delay, the more waves he sends and the the tougher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom