Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

katyafrost

Novice
Being a game developer = your life is a vacation. I know, I know all those grueling meetings where you're sitting there wearing shorts and a 'I Fucked Your Mom' t-shirt while you sext your girlfriend.

I hope you're kidding. The core development teams for many, many game developers have their eyes stuck to their monitors 10 hours a day 6 days a week. The executive teams are the ones on perpetual vacation.

Played tons of Grimrock 1 and can't wait for the more fully fleshed out game in Grimrock 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Legend of Grimrock 2 - now with SKAVEN: http://www.grimrock.net/2014/08/13/ratlings/

Ratlings!

As a ratling you may seem weak and disease ridden on the surface, but you are actually one of the most adaptable and hardy creatures in the world. You are hoarder in nature and greatly enjoy fiddling with mechanical contraptions…

As some of you may know, we’re introducing a new playable race in Legend of Grimrock 2. There is no place in the Northern Realms without them scurrying around. They have spread all over the lands as they seem to wander around endlessly and seldom stay in one place for a long time. Those creepy rodents are sometimes hated and feared for their scruff looks and contagious diseases they bear. But hardly anyone denies the fact that they find their way around the realms and that they are known to be some of the most seasoned creatures there is.

When you pick a ratling in the game’s character generation section, you get to choose your looks from the portrait gallery, done by our friend Emile Denis. Read more about the creation of the new portraits in here. In game terms ratlings have Strength -4, Dexterity +2, Max Load +15kg and are immune to diseases. Ratlings also get a chance to pick a special racial Mutation trait which boosts one randomly chosen ability score by 1 at level up.

But ratlings are not only found in your party. Like mentioned above, ratlings are everywhere and I mean everywhere, even on the Isle of Nex. Ratlings often enlist to ship crews and pirate galleys to roam the seas of the realms and some of them have shipwrecked and get stranded on the Island. On the Isle of Nex they have nested in the western parts of the island, but they often wander about the island but carefully avoid “The Boss”. Whenever you smell gunpowder in the air, you’re sure to know there’s ratling pirates around.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Hopefully dexterity actually does something in this game making them worth having. Having a minotaur be the best thief was just... wrong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Concept art update: http://www.grimrock.net/2014/09/11/legend-of-grimrock-2-key-art-revealed/

Legend of Grimrock 2 Key Art Revealed

There is a saying that one shouldn’t judge book by its cover. But hey, let’s be honest, everyone checks the cover first
icon_wink.gif
. That means that whether it’s a book cover, a movie poster or game box art, the cover is really important piece of the first impression you get from a new product. Even though LoG2 probably won’t be published in physical form, it still needs “box art” that will be used everywhere from web page, digital marketplace and game reviews to desktop backgrounds. In game business box art is also sometimes called key art. That means that the one image should reflect pretty much the whole game, its mood, story, setting, characters and on top of it all it needs to look really good to stand out of thousands of other images. Not so easy huh? The key art was finished about a half a year ago, so it’s about time to let it see the day light.

We started planning the key art when we got the LoG2 setting finally settled down and felt certain that it was the direction we wanted to go. In our case the key art helped us to focus on the chosen theme and gave us a good vibe and direction to follow. As the game is very oldschool flavored, I wanted it to be reflected in the key art also. So I started thinking of the things and mood we wanted to portray. It took some iterations of sketching to get to the core of what we were after. I didn’t want to use any photo based techniques or 3d rendered assets. What I had in mind, was the book covers that got me interested in fantasy art and painting in the first place: Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson (r.i.p) and Brom. They are my all time greatest heroes and I wanted to give my humble tribute to their art, like Grimrock gives to games of that era. In perfect world I would’ve wanted to do the image in oil paints, but after reality check, the digital medium was the only logical choice. It has many benefits and one doesn’t have to wait for the pixels to dry. I tried to keep a painterly feel to the image and didn’t use “too perfect” tools that Photoshop offers.

I started sketching with the traditional book cover or poster aspect ration and then expanded the sketches I liked to horizontal format. Legend of Grimrock 2 will be on a couple of different digital stores that all have their own graphical styles. Some are leaned more towards horizontal images and some have more traditional vertical images. The different aspect ratios also gave some challenges to the composition of the image. I wanted to try to come up with an image that would work well with both horizontal and vertical images.

The painting took close to five full packed days to complete. It’s painted in Photoshop around 6500 pixels wide to help the brushes work better, but still maintain good enough computer performance. The image was a really fun little project to complete and we hope you guys also like it. We feel that it captures the feeling of LoG2 pretty well. I also recorded some painting stages to better illustrate how the image came together. Now go on and check out the big version of the final image.

Quick word about the current development status. We’re busy polishing the game based on the great feedback we are getting from the beta testers. I just completed the game the other day clocking about 22 hours of playtime with 48/74 of the current secrets, even though I knew the solutions to the puzzles of the first quarter of the game. So there should be plenty of exploring to finish the game 100%. In other news, Petri has been busting his ass off and he’s managed to optimize the game roughly 40% faster. So now the game doesn’t necessarily need super highend game rig to play. But I have to say that the minimum system requirements are going to go up a bit compared to LoG1. Stay tuned, next week is going to be exciting
icon_wink.gif

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My money is on a stationary target.

Yeah. You just have to whack a "wall" until it dies, while the environment shoots fireballs and lightning bolts and crushers and monsters at you.

I was willing to :d1p:LoG2 until I saw the jacked-up price from the prequel. Now I'm gonna wait until the reviews and such.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Does anyone know how they are able to make a game like this without crowdfunding? They couldn't have made that much money from LoG. Is it simply due to the business environment of their country?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They said that they covered dev cost in a few days after release, and the game sold over 600k copies as of January, 2013.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, generally when a game is insanely popular it sells a lot of copies. Anyway, most likely D1P. No surprise Unbeggable Beg is shying away... not like he buys games, anyway. Two years from now he'll be panhandling for it on the beg thread.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Legend of Grimrock 2 gets an October release date

A great gaol.

Legend of Grimrock 2 - the sequel to one of 2012's finest role-playing games, and an indie game to boot - will be released for PC on 15th October.

You can pre-order the game now and by doing so save a bit of money - Grimrock 2 $20.39 instead of $23.99.

The sequel takes Grimrock outside, into forests and by swamps, as well as into dark dungeons. It will be more ambitious in nearly every way: better looking, more diverse - more more more.

If Grimrock 1 tested the waters for a 3D grid-based dungeon crawler, a la Ultima Underworld, then Grimrock 2 should cannonball them.

Wrote Dan Whitehead in his 2012 Grimrock review: "Legend of Grimrock walks a very fine tightrope with outrageous confidence. With its ruthless adherence to 1990s design it shamelessly panders to nostalgia, but it never feels like it relies on that inherited fondness to get by. That's a trap too many retro-inspired indies fall into: letting the past do all the work to mask holes in the design.

"Grimrock doesn't do that. It reminds us that the old ways still have value, but its thoughtful construction and nuanced balance ensure that it can still stand on its own two feet in 2012 and justify its existence on its own terms."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-19-legend-of-grimrock-2-gets-an-october-release-date

:what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom