Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
All those who say that LoG2 is better than LoG1 are surely trolling?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, now it is confirmed - you are trolling.

I dont think anyone really that thinks that much more atmospheric LoG1, much more packed and less cumbersome than LoG2 - can be considered better.

Just thinking about sewers in LoG2, mobs there and "puzzle" with small isles in water - how can you say that this is better than LoG1 levels? Which are each unique and well-designed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Maybe I'm biased because I played 2 before 1, but when playing LoG1 I kept having the 'meh, this is all sort of samey' impression all the way through. LoG2 is basically the same as 1 to me but considerably expanded and with a LOT more variety and content, which is a godsend of sorts because the sameyness of 1 started to get almost crippling by the end. I also definitely wouldn't consider it less atmospheric, it has plenty of really cool mysterious shit running through it. I also idk how you can say that somehow 1's levels are unique while 2's aren't.

Besides, it's not like LoG1 didn't have really annoying stupid places too. My "favourite" is probably that set of corridors with ever-respawning blue dinos. Fuck that place.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked ice lizards halls, was one of best combat sequence )

(One of best combat sequence in LoG2 is "secret boss" fight vs stone elementals.)

LoG1 is more tight, less puzzles and puzzles are better.

I really do not like puzzles like islands puzzle in sewers, "code" puzzle, "at night look at direction", "spell" puzzle, serpent staff to open door puzzle, i.e. most of LoG2 puzzles.

in LoG1 i dont remember any annoying puzzle, all were fun, different and made sence once you solved them.

Also, LoG2 is too huge and too many secrets etc. makes 2nd walkthough a pain, since you dont want to miss items and msot of them are in secrets/puzzles.

Tight LoG1 is much better for re-play, you look for secrets as you move along, you dont go out of way to find them, etc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't say the puzzles in 1 were better. The semi-riddle/logic ones of 2 were different but not necessarily worse. I admit I have no urge to replay it, though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I really do not like puzzles like islands puzzle in sewers, "code" puzzle, "at night look at direction", "spell" puzzle, serpent staff to open door puzzle, i.e. most of LoG2 puzzles.

Needing that specific mundane-looking item to unlock a secret.
Staring at a wall for 30 seconds to make a door open.
Teleporter mazes.

These are better puzzles...how exactly?

The only difference is that your brain needs to shift up a gear to be able to deal with LoG2's puzzles...most of them, anyway. You did a good job of recounting the game's worst puzzles, BTW.

Also, LoG2 is too huge and too many secrets etc. makes 2nd walkthough a pain, since you dont want to miss items and msot of them are in secrets/puzzles.

Tight LoG1 is much better for re-play, you look for secrets as you move along, you dont go out of way to find them, etc.

You're the kind of player that gives Ultima 7 a 4/10 rating because it's too big, aren't you?

Can your brain even comprehend anything more complex than a set of floors stacked on top of each other?

Also, due to LoG1's limited character creation system, there's no need for a replay of the main campaign if you get all the secrets. LoG2 at least gives room to try different character builds.

Face it, it's just a better game in general. LoG2's only problem at the moment is that it has a less active fanbase/community than LoG1 did.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Needing that specific mundane-looking item to unlock a secret.
Staring at a wall for 30 seconds to make a door open.
Teleporter mazes.

These are better puzzles...how exactly?

The only difference is that your brain needs to shift up a gear to be able to deal with LoG2's puzzles...most of them, anyway. You did a good job of recounting the game's worst puzzles, BTW.

You're the kind of player that gives Ultima 7 a 4/10 rating because it's too big, aren't you?

Can your brain even comprehend anything more complex than a set of floors stacked on top of each other?

Also, due to LoG1's limited character creation system, there's no need for a replay of the main campaign if you get all the secrets. LoG2 at least gives room to try different character builds.

Face it, it's just a better game in general. LoG2's only problem at the moment is that it has a less active fanbase/community than LoG1 did.

I didnt mention all bad puzzles in LoG2. There are too many of them that really sucks. Do you remember pressure plate in Mine, which is impossible to see because it is both distant and in darkness?

About LOG1, yes puzzles were much better. About staring at door, well its your choice. I just hit "sleep" and in few seconds it open. Time goes faster in sleep. And compare this to "stare at midnight looking in specific direction standing in specific place, and to find this place you must remember/look for because there is no hint untill later that this place is important".

LoG2 is not that big anyway, i think it took same time to finish it as LoG1.
Why you think that LoG2 is bigger? More puzzles, also they make people travel several zones to use an item to progress. You constantly have to backtrack. Walk-walk-walk just to try item to open door or entrance somewhere or to get some object which is needed somewhere far away.

Last edited:

imweasel

LoG 2 is superior to LoG 1, but I think some prefer LoG 1 because it is more linear and had better pacing. LoG2 is probably also a bit too big IMO, I often felt that the game was somewhat repetitive and it didn't have something like a deep story to balance everything out.

That said, I enjoyed them both quite a bit and am looking forward to LoG 3.

I think that LoG 2 was the superior game, much more clever and polished, but I didn't finish it, while I did finish MMX which was a bit fucked-up.
I've finished LoG 2 and MMX. I think both are great, but I liked MMX more.

RuySan

Augur
LoG1 puzzles were slightly better and more focused, but LoG2 is still the better game, and managed to be even more atmospheric.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
LoG 2 is superior to LoG 1, but I think some prefer LoG 1 because it is more linear and had better pacing. LoG2 is probably also a bit too big IMO, I often felt that the game was somewhat repetitive and it didn't have something like a deep story to balance everything out.

That said, I enjoyed them both quite a bit and am looking forward to LoG 3.
I've finished LoG 2 and MMX. I think both are great, but I liked MMX more.

1. Decent story would be great ofc but the industry standard for plot IQ has been always around 30, you can't really blame LoG2 for keeping to the norm.

2. I really, really hope there will be more Grimrocks but I suspect LoG2 didn't sell anywhere near as well as the first installment. Compared to LoG1 hardly anyone noticed it, sadly.

3. I loved MMX too, another game deserving of much more recognition than it got. Even Codex mostly shat on it, due to most Codexers prefering to fap to isometric RPGs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
log2 has a pretty cool story

or at least pretty cool backstory + envirostorytelling

but no matter how you call it, it's pretty cool anyway

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
LoG2 story?

I try to kill you with all mobs and traps as challenge, if you survive you kill me and take my spot.

And this comes only near end of game, before that - all story is "villain messages", with nothing interesting in them.

Seriously LoG2 story?

Compare to LoG1 storyline: unknown prison which protects humanity from something eternal and to escape this prison you need to go deeper, away from sun and surface.

Even after you finish LoG1 you still put together many clues and story just gets bigger and bigger. Who are cubes? Why this one was imprisoned but not destroyed? Why there is only 1 of them, but where are others? Who are goromorgs, do they help cube or are his enemies? What was purprose of complex at first place before it was turned to prison, temple?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Bunch of whiners here. Both games are excellent. Plus the main menu music in LoG is amazing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The main failing of LoG1 is that it's overly derivative of Dungeon Master, though I can't say that I find this to be a horrendous failing.

LoG2 has better character/party creation and more diverse environments, but the some of the puzzles are a bit irritating and it's less cohesive.

Both games are at the apex of what little incline has occurred the last few years.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
LoG2 somewhat reminded me of Myst, which is a good thing. Mostly the outside stuff, with the environments and what not. Had a nice nostalgic feel to it.

Renevent

Cipher
I thought LoG2 was better as well. Larger world, slightly better character customization/itemization, varied locations...it was basically LoG+ and was great. That beind said, there def is something about the first game's tight design and more focused approach. I do think the puzzles overall were better in LoG.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I thought LoG2 was better as well. Larger world, slightly better character customization/itemization, varied locations...it was basically LoG+ and was great. That beind said, there def is something about the first game's tight design and more focused approach. I do think the puzzles overall were better in LoG.

I agree. Overall LoG2 is better, though both are good.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
LoG was much better than LoG 2. The former was tighter and the latter got too boring too fast compared to its size.

I didn't finish either, though. Both of them are mediocre compared to DM, not to mention CSB.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I can see replaying LoG1, in fact i replayed it twice. It is tight, it is fast, it is focused.

I cant see replaying LoG2...you dont want to miss secrets, since you need this items. and there are too many secrets and too many puzzles.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
but the some of the puzzles are a bit irritating and it's less cohesive.

Thanks for admitting it. Compared to LoG1 puzzles in LoG2 are much worse.

AR E. UHU KO. AR E. UHU E. anyone?
Um... you aren't supposed to figure that one out until you get the scroll outlying the code. And when you do it's not particularly hard to figure out the directions. This ain't string theory or anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom