Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Nyast

Cipher
Um... you aren't supposed to figure that one out until you get the scroll outlying the code. And when you do it's not particularly hard to figure out the directions. This ain't string theory or anything.

No but that's bad game design. Puzzles requiring hints that are on the other side of the map is a sure way to frustrate your players.

Overall I also preferred LoG1. What LoG2 gained in world variety and size, it lost in atmosphere. The story in LoG2 was simply non-existant ( in LoG1 it also was thin, but I must say I was expecting a progress in LoG2, not a regression ) and the game is less well-balanced in terms of puzzles vs exploration vs combat. Many puzzles are stupid or need too much time to solve, even when you suspect the solution. It wasn't a bad game though, I still had more enjoyment out of it than the AAA titles released every year.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can see replaying LoG1, in fact i replayed it twice. It is tight, it is fast, it is focused.

I cant see replaying LoG2...you dont want to miss secrets, since you need this items. and there are too many secrets and too many puzzles.

Meanwhile, I've been feeling like replaying LoG2 now with a bunch of farmers or someshit ever since this thread got rezzed, while I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to replay LoG1.

Truly, a great conundrum has been established itt.

No but that's bad game design. Puzzles requiring hints that are on the other side of the map is a sure way to frustrate your players.

popamole fag

Siobhan

Arbiter
The story in LoG2 was simply non-existant
And that's a shortcoming because...

What is it with people constantly pushing for story and dialogue in cRPGs? In the last 20 years the whole market has been overrun with RPGs that can't go 2 minutes without throwing some clicheed story hook or some clumsily written line of dialog at you. For once a team decides to toss out all unnecessary distractions and focus on what really matters --- the gameplay --- and of course some storyfag has to go ahead and complain about muh story.

Many puzzles are stupid or need too much time to solve
I see, if a puzzle takes you a long time to solve, it's the puzzle that's stupid. Except for the infamous graveyard puzzle, which requires some trial and error even with the hints, none of the puzzles are particularly hard to figure out once one has found the relevant hints. I can only imagine what you would have to say about RoA2's password puzzle in the temple of Phex, which 1) deliberately gives you the wrong number of characters, 2) has 0 hints in the entire dungeon, and 3) makes no sense without some knowledge of the game's lore.

Shadowgate, Uninvited, Blade Runner. Three adventure games that violate Nyast's rule of puzzle design. And since adventure games are all about puzzles, I guess that means they're shit games. :roll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Once again, I took a look at the LoG2 modding community to see if any decent mods had been released. I found someone had started a new thread and asked the very same question.

His exact wording:

Hey there! So im done with the original game, but i want more! Sadly there is no sign of Grimrock 3 so im wondering if there are any legit Custom Dungeons, and i mean really good ones - polished with good puzzles, ones that wont feel like authors didnt put much effort into them, and its important that they are finished. Additionally, im not a big fan of overcomplicated stories in a game like this, the way its done in original game is about perfect - subtle hints and little things but still hooking you up.

And the reply:

I don't think any one single mod will fit all of your criteria, and unless someone is secretly making a Mod that has not been announced yet, then there are no Mods coming in the future that would meet it either.

:negative:

There's an updated release for a decent-looking dungeon though, so I'll give that a try.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Um... you aren't supposed to figure that one out until you get the scroll outlying the code. And when you do it's not particularly hard to figure out the directions. This ain't string theory or anything.

Overall I also preferred LoG1. What LoG2 gained in world variety and size, it lost in atmosphere. The story in LoG2 was simply non-existant ( in LoG1 it also was thin, but I must say I was expecting a progress in LoG2, not a regression ) and the game is less well-balanced in terms of puzzles vs exploration vs combat. Many puzzles are stupid or need too much time to solve, even when you suspect the solution. It wasn't a bad game though, I still had more enjoyment out of it than the AAA titles released every year.

Not on the other side on the map. On different map in non-logical place.

Imagine you need open Vault door in N-W part of california (or whatever US state it was) in Fallout 1. And only option is to travel to S-E side of whole california where in trash can you will find key for this door.

You cant bypass this door unless you find this key.

You solve LOG1 puzzle with wits.

You solve LOG2 puzzles by finding "clue"/"mcguffin" hidden in random place in far away location.

V_K

Arcane
Yes, the only kind of reward that matters.

Edit: Ok, one of the two. The other kind would be finding an alternative way to progress further.

Ivan

Arcane
is this best played on normal hard (does hard change enemy placement or just buffs enemies?)

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I'm not sure if I played it on normal or hard, but by the end I definitely wished I'd gone with an easier (read: less tedious) setting. Keep in mind that this is a fairly long game, long enough to get absolutely sick of the combat.

Am I the only one that preferred the puzzles from the first game?

Ivan

Arcane
I prefer puzzles over the combat yes. you're right, i'll stick with normal then. thanks. I really enjoyed the first game's puzzles and atmosphere.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Normal is fine. Make sure to get an alchemist and crank up his alchemy to 5 for delicious bomb spam.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I played through Grimrock 2 on Hard, and it did get a bit tedious in the final third. Not really difficult at all, but the game felt longer than it should have been.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished. What a fantastic experience that was. A vast overworld to explore, satisfying loot to find, secrets upon secrets to uncover. A fantastic sequel to the first. I can't find much to moan about
Do any of you know of any mods made for it? Darth Roxor ? I'm itching for more Grimrock. I think I'll give the Master Quest of the first game a go. I'm new to the genre and and would love to hear what are some "must plays."
:4/5:

73904B41C716BF8A7D04E5EE8987194A4FB5DA11

7ADD8891EEFCE4516FC42F369F253A624C74B963

F57C126059280834E282AC3B4D4FFE974CB9E42C

You know the only thing that I'm dying to know is how to access a gate that's right by the entrance to the cemetery (before the main gate that leads you in). There's a gate just past a weapon display case locked by a gold key. Internet says an exit from a tomb leads you out but I never found it. hmm.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Do any of you know of any mods made for it? Darth Roxor ? I'm itching for more Grimrock. I think I'll give the Master Quest of the first game a go. I'm new to the genre and and would love to hear what are some "must plays.

If you've read this thread, you'll find my feeble efforts of finding a decent Grimrock 2 mod. Maybe some of them interest you.

As for Grimrock 1, The Master Quest is a given, as is The Mines of Malan Vael, The Master Key, Forbidden Halls and then possibly mods like The Chaos Key and Master Arakk's Treasure.

You know the only thing that I'm dying to know is how to access a gate that's right by the entrance to the cemetery (before the main gate that leads you in). There's a gate just past a weapon display case locked by a gold key. Internet says an exit from a tomb leads you out but I never found it. hmm.

That teleporter is the back-door exit for the tomb, it opens after you kill Orul and his mooks. It seems you walked the long way out of the tombs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Last news from the devs is that they're writing a new game engine...but whether that involves a Grimrock sequel is anyone's guess.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Grimrock 3 with turnbased combat would be nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom