Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lego Worlds: The Minecraft clone that will finally put Minecraft out of its Java coded misery.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screenies from the screenshot thread-
F763D0AC2C63F2453FE1D7149155E31FAAEB1F2E

Quite a lot of biomes and creatures to mount.
BBD763390F0E12D1E14D5B57B4BC1CB077578DFC

Yes, you can ride a dragon.
AF49121FF12731690256F7AA2D82556573943E3E

DED0F7B3C9AAE8344E2ACF8C1E1E2A20AD4A55D7

Can climb mountains and trees pretty easily, already better hiking sim than Skyrim.
4DBBC6F4E1EFB18174E70AAD7491AAE1435CF607

Good number of vehicles in already.
B2F4E7470BE005F2901D0D976C8D35EE576FB1A4

C358FD6D17FBC4702AED7B5A79089603EA63BD80

Caim

Arcane
I've seen people complain about shitty performance and finicky controls: Is it really that bad?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
More importantly, how's the building? The landscaping stuff in the trailer seemed kind of meh. But if there's a decent block-by-block construction tool for making spaceships, I'm in.
MovieMoments2014-LEGOMovie.jpg

Caim

Arcane
From what I've seen it's in there: it's in the trailers.

So have fun I guess!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've seen people complain about shitty performance and finicky controls: Is it really that bad?
Yeah, get a few dips in fps every now and then. But you can ride a dragon and breathe fire at clouds!
More importantly, how's the building? The landscaping stuff in the trailer seemed kind of meh. But if there's a decent block-by-block construction tool for making spaceships, I'm in.
I've not even touched the building side, but I don't think vehicle building is in yet. Though there are plenty of vehicles to find just screwing around the world.
But fuck those, you can ride a goat.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For some reason, I hate the asthetics, compared to Minecraft. Minecraft looked blocky and clean, this one looks dirty and hard to read. I suppose you get used to it after a while.

Caim

Arcane
I've not even touched the building side, but I don't think vehicle building is in yet. Though there are plenty of vehicles to find just screwing around the world.
But fuck those, you can ride a goat.
Nope, no vehicle building yet.

Caim

Arcane
Initial loading times are atrocious, might be better after booting a second time.

My first island housed giant leafless trees with curled branches, hosting a population of wolfmen, skeletons and vampires. I killed one of the vampires and gained its power to turn into a bat. I flew east (I think) and found an island where I rode a motorcycle while running into groups of skeletons ganging up on lone zombies. I also ran into a treehouse with a treasure chest holding a neat sword. Flying east once again I ended up on a frozen island where a gang of roving huskies was mauling polar bears. On the south of this island there was some volcanic activity and beat a warlock to death to steal his ability to cast fireballs.

10/10 GOTY.

I don't get the edgy hate for Minecraft... It's a building game, it's fun for people that like to build shit. What's the problem?

Not hate so much as disappointment at wasted potential. Minecraft or a game like it can be so much more, a 3D sandbox game with complex world interaction, in-depth crafting, terraforming and building in the context of a meaningful world. For example, imagine a game similar to Minecraft that has different factions on the map (similar to an RTS game), with somewhat decent AI that build up their bases like the player and then either side with or attack the player. The AI is good enough to utilize weapons and technology to destroy player defenses or tunnel under. The world is also much more realistic than in MC, you have to eat and drink, resources are difficult to acquire and require complex industrial mechanisms and processes. Imagine building up a complex interconnected base with resource gathering mechanisms feeding production facilities which produce ever more sophisticated technology and weaponry for defense and offense, while at the same time dealing with enemies growing more powerful as well. Imagine the carnage as your base is being swiss cheesed by enemy artillery while you activate deeper level defenses and prepare to counter attack. Now this would be a great game.

Instead, MC went into some kind of potpourri kiddie direction with a 3rd grade level mix of magical monsters and simplistic mechanics while providing no "gaminess" at all due to lack of challenge and purpose. I don't expect this Lego game to address these issues either. Hopefully someone down the line will capitalize on this tremendous potential.

My main beef is that he stole an opensource game (infiniminer), made a paid, inferior version in java and reaped a small fortune because youtubers stumbled across his ripoff first.

If 2.5 billion dollars is a "small" fortune to you, we should become best friends.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Imagine the butthurt at Microsoft though if indeed all the hipsters switch to the "cute" lego world builder.

Dat 2 Billion for nothing.

Gerrard

Arcane
I want to buy this, but I'm afraid they will start selling you virtual Lego sets.

Caim

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom