Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry - Larry's trip to the 21st century

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
LSL 6 is probably the best one in the series. A pretty huge world, a lot of interactions, pretty decent (I recall) puzzles, overall a very good game with some rather mild erotic undertones.

Does it have unfair dead ends? I like the style of the old sierra games but I hate the dead ends they built in everywhere. I don't wanna go game over in an adventure game and have to start all over because I missed to pick up an item in the first hour of the game which I need 10 hours later :?

Yes you die if you masturbate in the toilet.

Or show your penis to the gay towel guy.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Not really fair to put Dave's criticism of the game up without noting that he later apologized for using his leadership in the adventure game space to go after a small developer.

Sounds like the devs also took his criticism to heart and are going to work on making the game less "creepy."

Class act all around, and seems like a happening ending. Maybe Larry will get to enjoy that vegan restaurant in the background after all! And perhaps Dave can help them "punch up" their humor, as it were.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have any attachment to LSL (never played the games), so perhaps that colors my reaction. It always looked like inferior National Lampoon/Revenge of the Nerds-style humor, and even at its best, that brand of humor wasn't my favorite lowbrow stuff. (More a Leslie Nielsen/Rodney Dangerfield man myself.)

In terms of the particular controversy, I'd rather developers have freedom to make games without being attacked for deviating from their critics' creed (this goes in both directions politically). But here, it seems like things went all right -- Dave had a critical take on the game, his followers piled on, the developer acknowledged the criticism, and Dave laid off before a full-fledged Twitter mob was formed. As his followers noted in the tweets above, Dave has more than earned a right to have an opinion about adventure games, so I'm not sure what he did wrong. And his apology seemed like a sincere acknowledgment that a thought-leader and influencer like him should help promote smaller developers rather than chastising them.

Dexter

Arcane
Sounds like the devs also took his criticism to heart and are going to work on making the game less "creepy."

Now more SJW faggotry incoming... Thanks Dave!
Oh boy, this guy's Twatter account doesn't bode well at all (Anti-Trump ramblings, Muller fan-fiction, Jennifer Scheurle retweets, everyone's a Nazi, explications about "Sea Lioning"), I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that and recalled the troops:

Now my concerns are mutating from the expected lack of sarcasm, cynicism, black humour and failed jokes about civil servants, tax bills, official documents, huntsmen, the Schwarzwald, civic duties, public order, strictly abiding the law, registered associations, judicial errors, investment consulting and bad voiceover accents as is tradition for proper German humour.

Meanwhile on Al Lowe's Twatter or "The Infants Guide On How To Make A Proper Larry Game":

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, Dave's games tend to generate very positive first impressions, even on the Codex. I've always thought he was an example of how a developer could pursue very progressive themes (as in Shardlight and Technobabylon) while still having the Codex's love! I doubt people would be so fickle as to turn on him for a mere moment of Bowdlerism.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dave had a critical take on the game, [--] Dave has more than earned a right to have an opinion about adventure games

Critical take on a game he'd never played, based solely on how it looks in screenshots. Yes, the game looks "creepy" to him in screenshots. A god damn adventure game!

I'd consider his right to opinion officially revoked.

What kind of times do we live on? Nabokov had easier time getting Lolita published in the 1950s than he would have today.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I get the strong feeling this would have fared better if it was its own creation in the style of Larry Laffer, rather than have Larry tacked on like that.

al lowe's dad joke twitter feed never ceases to amaze me

You should meet him in person, he's always ready with a joke.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Now more SJW faggotry incoming... Thanks Dave!
Oh boy, this guy's Twatter account doesn't bode well at all (Anti-Trump ramblings, Muller fan-fiction, Jennifer Scheurle retweets, everyone's a Nazi, explications about "Sea Lioning"), I wouldn't be surprised if they saw that and recalled the troops:

It's a dubious combination.
How did this thing even came to be?
Going by that enthusiastic tweet "well, this is the game I've been working on" feels like they've just been thrown the license after it's been scraped off the bottom of some barrel.

There's like 0 chance of this actually being good or in tone with the other Larry games.
Furthermore, no Al Lowe -> not a Larry game -> no buy.

As for how Larry looks, he always had a slimy but likeable look. Sure, in the first 3 games his look is nothing special, you have to go by his look on the boxes. But this? He never looked like this.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
2 chicks in the middle are bangable. The one on the right too, with a bag over the head.

Fucking lol at "luckily progressive enough to fear the worst"

I must be progressive enough because I do expect the worst. Rules for what they can't do seems like a great recipe to make a Larry game.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
imagine a day when the developer of a game actually spent their time developing games instead of rushing to assuage every triggered wokester on twitter

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Funny though, how it works, isn't it?

Hey, new Larry game coming! Hmm, I wonder how many women are working on the project?

or

Hey, a new game in a series I never liked! I wonder if this one will also be like that or will they finally make it for me????

"Gamers" these days. :flamesaw:

Some people are so worried about the things they don't like it's quite amazing. I mean, how could they dare release a game like Larry today? That by itself would stop "progress" in its track!

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol at the Twitter shitstorm about this game. Apparently games about making other people have sex with you are only cool these days if they are Japanese (or at least look like they are).

That being said, two things about which I do not trust German taste are humour and sex, so I will remain skeptical about this. I did enjoy the two Larry games I did play (LSL 7 and the Larry 1 Reloaded), but Wet Dreams Don't Dry does not look promising so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom