Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lesser known point and click games

zool

Arcane
Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy
Very nice game in a bladerunner/cyberpunk kind of setting.
Don't wanna be the thread's asshole but I seriously DON'T recommend this game. Not the entirety of it at least. I got it not so long ago cause I played its demo when I was much younger and I remember it being fucking awesome. Turns out the demo was the first little part of the game in which you're invading someone's apartment and it is indeed super nice and atmospheric, but it goes downhill from there faster than you could say fuck, the entire second half of the game is quite the piece of shit. Their budget clearly got cut midway through and everything seems incredibly unfinished. Some of the most hilariously bad CG and voice acting I've ever seen are in this game's second half. Like, CD-i Mario/Zelda levels of shit, but 3D.

Funny, I had the same experience than you with the demo. I only got the game years later and I must admit that I didn't finish it because I felt that the game took a turn for the worse once you entered the virtual reality or whatever it's called. But I would still recommend it if only for the first half of the game.

bddevil

Educated
I dont want to be a dick, but... actually never mind, Im on the codex, I do !

I dont see how in an adventure gamer forum one would consider blade runner/neverhood/toonstruck/ace ventura/starship titanic/orion burger 'lesser known'
especially blade runner/toonstruck (which had pretty sizeable budgets and expensive voice-acting) and neverhood (which was hyped up back in the day because of claymation usage)

Sizzle

Arcane
They are known to people who played them back in the day, but not to the greater (adventure) gaming public.

Besides, the thread is called "lesser known", not "obscure" - a big difference.

bddevil

Educated
They are known to people who played them back in the day, but not to the greater (adventure) gaming public.

Besides, the thread is called "lesser known", not "obscure" - a big difference.
fair enough

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember Touche getting a good review in finnish gaming magazine, I think it got something like 86 out of 100. Never played it myself though.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Anyone in here played the finnish point'n'click adventure Alien Incident? I remember it getting praised in finnish gaming magazine. Even finnish gamers seems to have forgotten it. It had small pressing finnish version, which is pretty rare nowadays.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone in here played the finnish point'n'click adventure Alien Incident? I remember it getting praised in finnish gaming magazine. Even finnish gamers seems to have forgotten it. It had small pressing finnish version, which is pretty rare nowadays.

I played it a couple years ago, and took screenshots. I remember liking it, and having to brute-force some cave maze, but not much else...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can never namedrop this enough:

Article_Paragraph_Thumb_1910115.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/game/master-of-dimensions

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Schizm 1 & 2 come to mind.

Imagine it like Myst's highly autistic little brother, that is also a mathematical genius.
Was pretty hard to get until they released it on GoG. The second one I still can't find anywhere.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can never namedrop this enough:

I remember seeing previews of Master of Dimensions (the picture with a fat green Alien I think), but never saw a review. Probably a problem with the distribution. Are there english subtitles? Youtube shows some longplay with hebrew language.

They've got Kathy Levin who voiced menu options. Most people remember her from Black Mesa Transit System during the intro, and that is why it strucked me that it's her. She also worked as a voice actress in Blood 2, Shogo, Larry 7, and all other Half Life games.

I also thought about the Fable, made by Simbiosis Software in 1996. I've never have had a chance to play it thought. I need to try it this year, the art is really nice. It reminds me of older titles such as Curse of Enchantia and Universe made by Core Design with young teenagers as protagonists.

gfs_42121_2_5_mid.jpg

gfs_42121_2_3_mid.jpg

Curse of Enchantia

10357-curse-of-enchantia-dos-screenshot-in-town-the-command-bar-is.gif

Universe

397387-universe-amiga-screenshot-alien-city.png

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Harvester.

Game is fucking disturbing. They really pushed the bar in that game. Some of the shit that happens in it really was fucking ridiculous. Very surprised a game like this even exists. Speaking of which, anyone know of an adventure game similar to this?

hqdefault.jpg

toucanplay

Novice
Lesser known means not commercially available.

In the same way that "Curious_Tongue" must mean "illiterate moron" given that quite a few games mentioned on the first page of this thread were also on GOG, that the terms "lesser known" and "not commercially available" are certainly correlated but there's no causal relationship between them, and that if that what was wanted here the thread should have been called "Point and Click Games Not Commercially Available" or something.

When MSNBC calling the royal wedding "the polar opposite of aristocracy" is not the dumbest thing I've seen today, that's saying something.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Harvester.

Game is fucking disturbing. They really pushed the bar in that game. Some of the shit that happens in it really was fucking ridiculous. Very surprised a game like this even exists. Speaking of which, anyone know of an adventure game similar to this?

hqdefault.jpg

Phantasmagoria 1 (second game is shit)

I have no mouth and I must scream

The Dark Seed games

Bad Mojo (Not an point and click adventure but worth a mention)

Movies: Parents (1989)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Harvester.

hqdefault.jpg

Phantasmagoria 1 (second game is shit)

I have no mouth and I must scream

The Dark Seed games

Bad Mojo (Not an point and click adventure but worth a mention)

Movies: Parents (1989)

Played both Phatasmagoria games. Liked them both.

I'm half-way through "I have no mouth and I must scream." Eh, it's alright. I didn't like the castle level.

Need to play the Dark Seed games.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Darkseed. Darkseed 1 was terrible. Darkseed 2 was good. Darkseed 2 definitely is more like Harvester, though. Would be the game I'd point to if someone asks for games similar to Harvester.

I really like FMV adventure games. My rankings for what I've played:

Harvester
Phantasmagoria: II
Phantasmagoria: I
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Darkseed: II
Darkseed: I

The zeppelin level for I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream was absolutely phenomenal. If the entire game was like that, it'd be my GoAT adventure game. The castle and the pyramid ruined the game, honestly. Both were fucking boring levels.

Last edited:
.Down Under Dan

I can almost guarantee that none of you heard of that one.
I got it running in windows 3.1 in dosbox.

You have to get through the crappy, horrible minigames in the intro to get to the point and click game play.
It's terrible in the fun to play because it's terrible sort of way.

Oh and for some stuff that's more Myst like:

.Biosys
.Bioscopia
.Chemicus
.Physicus
.Alida: The Enigmatic Giant

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom