Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Aleshar: World of Ice

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Let's Play Aleshar: World of Ice

aleshar_199.png

Having grown weary on the lack of RPG LP's (fuck your Oblivion) and not having sufficient challenge in wrapping up the 7.62 LP, I decided to start another one.

Aleshar: World of Ice an RPG that holds a special place in my heart. It's brutally hard-core, set up in a desolate realm of ice, doesn't have any of the faggotry of today's games and still maintains quite few innovative approaches in its design.

It's been years since I last played the game, so it'll be interesting to see how time has treated it. And today, thanks to DOSBOX, I don't actually need a separate machine to run old games.

Game background:

Aleshar was made by a small Finnish developer Hypothermia, and it remains their only title. The game was originally shareware, but was later released as freeware.

Hypothermia said:
We came up with the concept of Aleshar in December 1995. The original idea was to make a game called Cryosphere. Cryosphere was supposed to be a game in an icy, cold, post-holocaust world. The game started forming after Vesa created a scrolling fractal landscape. After about half a year of passive working, we were about to scrap the whole project. Too many if's and but's had driven us in to a dead end. Then one day, when Vesa and Ossi were trying to think of a way to make the concept work, they got an idea. The whole project was reshaped and rewritten. The cold, futuristic world of Cryosphere was turned into a distant island of Aleshar. A whole new world was created.

Story:

Hypothermia said:
You were born to a minor town mayor and his wife. Right from the beginning they knew you were somehow different from other kids. And they were right. You had the spark of Elemental Powers. Your grandfather once had the same spark. And like the vast majority of young who were like you and himself, he was to become a priest of the Cult of Wisdom - The only legal user of Power.

Your grandfather abhorred the priest life. He was given a choice. To be bereft of the Powers for ever, or to become a priest. He chose neither. With the support of some of his friends, he managed to escape the priests. But he was too dangerous an example. He was hunted down and executed publicly. The priests were farsighted enough to accuse him of several horrible crimes, to prevent uprising by Alesharians.

Most people still believe the Cult is the only answer to their everyday religious needs. But your father knew the truth. The Cult had many good men, true keepers of wisdom, but as every power does, even wisdom corrupts.

Cult leaders often became ambitious and greedy.

And some became cruel.

Knowing this, and remembering his thraumatic experience from childhood, the execution of his own father, he would never allow you to become a Priest. Neither would he allow you to meet the fate of your grandfather.

The Townspeople were loyal to your father, and so they arranged you to 'disappear'. In truth you were sent to an old man, elementalist himself by some claims. To avoid suspicion, he lived far distant from any larger settlement. He was forgotten by the cult.

Your father hoped you would be forgotten as well.

Links:

Original LP update, now with broken images (courtesy of Imageshack):

Chapter 0: Snowblind

Let's play the game! There are three different difficulty options, but quite funnily the game manual forgets to say what they actually do. I'm guessing 'fairy tale' is easy mode, 'chronicle' normal and 'legend' hard. So let's go with legend then!

aleshar001.png

I'm going to roll a hunter, since this is one of those games where you're can starve to death.

aleshar002.png

In true Codexian fashion, let's go for savant IQ!

aleshar003.png

Piss-poor social skills, measly strength and 120+ IQ - signs of true Codexian!

aleshar010.png

Then some more boring choices with skills. I went for bow and cutting, for reasons that will become obvious later on. Hunter template affects the skills quite bit, I put most emphasis in trading and lock picking as they are some of the more annoying skills to improve. And now we're done!

---

So the game starts with you returning from a visit to the nearby town. As you're about to enter your trainer's hut, you're interrupted by two fellows dressed in red robes.

intro001.jpg

intro002.jpg

intro003.jpg

intro004.jpg

Trainer tells me to run, but of course I say outside the window to see what happens inside...

intro005.jpg

intro006.jpg

And so it begins...

aleshar028.png

:idea: This is the 'outdoor mode', which we'll be seeing a lot more later. In this the time passes real time. It's used to move between locations and to hunt for food. For now, we'll just enter the town.

aleshar012.png

We promptly enter the building in front of us, discovering that it is an inn.

:idea: This is the 'adventure mode'. In contrast to the 'outdoor mode' it is actually turn-based. You move first and then everybody else moves. There is no action points, rather slower characters may act a fewer times than fast ones.

aleshar013.png

The innkeeper is the person we were sent for.

:idea: Talking works like in adventure games. You say a key word, like 'name' and the person you're talking to answers. Key words are highlighted with a different color.

aleshar016.png

Relating him with the news, he reveals that he is actually a resistance supporter and directs me to their leader in a town called 'Snowhold'.

aleshar025.png

I got a key for the door, but decide to rather practice my lock picking skills.

:idea: Lock picking is annoying, you basically try 'till it opens, bashing the keys (O,P). And keep in mind that locks are reset if you ascend/descend ladders/stairs...

aleshar026.png

I help myself to the items in his stash, most importantly the sextant. Without it travelling in the wilderness would be impossible.

aleshar024.png

Seeing that the door was open and the owner not home, I decide also liberate a gem from the neighboring building. I'll need the money.

aleshar020.png

I visit the blacksmith to sell the excess goods I have.

aleshar021.png

Even the cheapest bow available consumes most of my coin... Longbows are out of my league for now.

aleshar027.png

I don't feel very comfortable in the heavy armor and wielding the shortsword, but I have no choice. My strength and stamina has to improve if I am to survive.

aleshar029.png

I leave for Snowhold, stopping to hunt for rations on the way. Luck favors me, and I'm soon well stocked.

aleshar031.png

While hunting, something ambushes me in the middle of the night. A snow giant!

aleshar032.png

Those beasts are brutally strong and tough. I switch for my bow and pepper the beast with arrows while running away from it.

Thankfully the brute is slow, alone, and I'm not too encumbered. I shudder at the thought of being in the reach of that beast.

aleshar033.png

My arrows cannot penetrate it's thick hide and I'm getting tired... this does not bode well.

aleshar034.png

A lucky arrow strikes the beast in the eye, killing it instantly!

I gather my things and continue the journey. Let's hope that no further obstacl... oh no - another of those beasts!

aleshar035.png

It throws a javelin at me, but my mail saves me. A javelin in my leg would've meant sure death in the hands of the brute.

aleshar036.png

The fight continues well through the night, and by sunrise I finally manage to get an arrow through it's defences. Luck hasn't left me, for the blood on the field belongs to the dead giant.

:idea: Aleshar features dynamic time of the day changes. Nighttime means weakened visibility and in towns the townspeople go to sleep during nights. Useful for assasins and thieves, hindrance for adventurers looking to sell their loot.

I take the axe with me, intending to sell it in the nearest town. My journey towards Snowhold continues... hopefully without further obstacles in the way. Luck alone won't keep me alive for long.

Last edited:

ElectricOtter

Beautiful artwork, awesome game, and bitchin' atmosphere. Do continue.

Andhaira

Arcane
Good stuff. I never played this game and looks like I really missed out.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Very good game with excellent health system and combat. Damned dungeon under Dwarlow...

mondblut

Arcane
A rather nice game it was. I never survived that demon encounter after which the ex-shareware portion ends (except one time when it was still shareware, and it wouldn't let me save, for fuck's sake!).

ElectricOtter

Haba said:
ElectricOtter said:
Abandoned already :(

Nah, I just ran into some minor challenges (the game seems easier than I remember). Might have to restart the game unless I start dying painful deaths soon.
Oh, good. Do continue.

Data4

Arcane
Epic intro is epic.

See that, Bioware? FULL BLOODIED DECAPITATION, FUCKERS!!

*ahem*

Anwyay, do continue.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, long story short. I found the previous playthrough a little bit too easy, so I decided to re-roll on another difficulty. This time I picked worse stats.

So far the results were promising, the first fight left me dangerously wounded.

Story continues...

The last time we saw, I was heading for Snowhold in the hopes of receiving assistance from the elusive resistance.

With the help of my trusty sextant and the map, I finally found my way there through the snow and storm.

Finally making my way to the town, the burning ache on my leg reminds me of it's existence. I decide to look for the town healer first

The has a look at my wounds and declares that they will probably heal in time. And charges me 12 gold for the effort. So I am left no better.

Should my limbs be broken, the healer would set them. Unfortunately there is no magic healing available for the peasants (until you learn magic yourself, that is), so the only way to heal is to wait for the passage of time. And it takes a LONG time to recover...

Weighing my purse I decide it is time to have a look at the towns-folk's belongings. They are all at the inn at this time of the day anyway.

After liberating the townsfolk from their belongings, I continue in another classic RPG activity - talking to random strangers.

I am not the most sensitive type. Must be the poor social skills.

After a lot of inane banter, I finally find the man I was sent for.

He is not very talkative until I mention the key word.

PNXNql.jpg

As there are several hours before the appointed time, I decide to kill some time and have another look in the town.

YgnvCl.jpg

Now that'll come in handy. Unfortunately wearing too much armour also encumbers me so much that I no longer can outrun my foes... Seems risky, especially looking at my current physical condition.

RPo4el.jpg

I stumble in the local church. The sight of cultists in red reminds me of the fate of my mentor. Fortunately those folk are not aware of who I am.

Bt2U5l.jpg

Horrible, how could someone do something like that!

gbRf4l.jpg

As told by Hilltop, wait several hours until darkness descends and the townsfolk go to their beds. After that I head for the healer's house. After a few minutes of fumbling in the darkness, I spot the hidden pathway.

ACdnRl.jpg

The resistance members in the cellar are not much more talkative than before.

VzOyJl.jpg

It seems they don't fully trust me yet.

KberPl.jpg

So I am to slaughter innocent priests to gain their trust. Though the cultists are related to the ones who killed my mentor and are hunting me, they were not directly involved themselves.

After weighing my choices, I decide I have to end their lives. I've no other way to survive myself.

e8TeDl.jpg

I intended to kill them in their sleep, but unfortunately I am not nimble enough to sneak about without waking the priest up.

wcNgpl.jpg

Soon I am faced with the entire church.

uHmWXl.jpg

They hurl their magics at me, but for some reason I cannot be harmed by them.

LNrVDl.jpg

Without the advantage of their deadly magics, the priests are ill matched against an armed and armoured man.

4exXdl.jpg

Wiping the blood from my sword, I examine my wounds.

I return to the resistance meeting.

4PuRxl.jpg

They are much more welcoming now, but still unable to provide much assistance.

xlEQHl.jpg

I decide to set out in the cold of the night before the corpses are discovered.

After a few days of travelling, I manage to evade patches of goblins and snow giants, setting upon the lone hut of the seer.

mTyjNl.jpg

I missed several screens of text here due to DOSBox issues, sorry for that

The seer explains me of the origins of the magic on this world, and the way that the cult went astray.

He offers to awaken the magic inherit in my blood.

aKHa2l.jpg

CjrTol.jpg

With this I am once more thrust into the cold. The newly awakened power at my disposal, yet no-one to guide me in it's usage.

In the next chapter:

rLL16l.jpg

0WnQtl.jpg

Happy new year!

overtenemy

Augur
I'd like to point out that I played this game because of this LP, as well as 7.62 on account of that LP to boot. Both helped me realize the potential of the Dex to point out fun, obscure games that I'd have otherwise missed for sure and encouraged me to make an LP or two of my own. Very thanks, Haba.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Upgrading mage skills was a pain in this game... which is at it should be.

Johannes

Arcane
Can someone tell me if the enemy that takes up 4 squares is the final boss of this game? I remember making it up to that, but being unable to beat it since I was in too fucked up condition (due to broken limbs, which even when fixed lead to massive stat loss if I remember right) and not feeling up to fixing all that. Also I was not sure if I had the right Heronsword with me (not even sure if the one you take from the cave is any different than ones gotten from elsewhere, I thought yes, though it was impossible to distinguish from the ones some swordsman and wraiths had).

Oh and SCO, I remember raising combat skills was way harder than raising magic skills. Since even a single blow could potentially fuck you up, going in melee range was always risky, unless the enemy was so shitty it'd die in short order also. Magic though, just cast spells over and over (yeah and that shrine visiting stuff, don't remember how big of a deal that was in the end though), you don't even have to have an enemy to use it at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom