Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Battle Brothers 0.9

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd like in, please:

Deuce Traveler or just Traveler for short
Preferred Background: any of Bowyer, Deserter, Gambler, Hunter, Historian, Poacher
Preferred Traits: Eagle Eyes, Sure Footing, Quick
Preferred Loadout: ranged weapons

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I want to sign up as a peasant named Baldrick. Or maybe AwesomeBaldrick, for people to make the connection more easily. Whichever would be funnier.

Pitchfork would be comfortable for a start.

Will uncomplainingly obey orders to throw himself into suicidal tasks.

I'm not familiar with the game, so pick whatever traits fit this description.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I'd wait for 1.0 instead of playing the beta build. Who knows what will happen to player saves.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
07.jpg

Drew

Savant
Previous Post

Time to level up our first promoted brother, Lhynn . His progression rolls are a bit underwhelming, but we'll make do.
5mzLN0W.png

Max Fatigue and Melee Skill are givens, and our need to survive for a while before real armor becomes economically feasable makes HP an attractive third choice. Had Melee defense been a +2 instead of +1, I might have chosen it.
46CL6QY.png

The very first perk selected is also a fairly easy choice. The first tier doesn't offer amazing options for bros who are to be a part of the shieldwall. Still, I'll run through them:

Fast Adaptation: Flat +8% chance to hit for every miss, resets on hit. Falls off hard since melee skill should be improveed wherever possible.
Crippling Strikes: 33% lower threshold to deal injuries. Not Lhynn's job but an ok perk. Slightly underwhelming since AI parties immediately heal to full after every battle, so dealing injuries without killing is next to useless.
Colossus: 25% increased hitpoints. Useful early on, falls off as armor levels rapidly increase.
Nine Lives: The first killing blow is ignored. Since you're still left with minimal hp and likely already battered, it would be better to take perks to help prevent this situation in the first place.
Bags and Belts: 2 extra bag slots. I'm sure someone uses this, but I can't figure out why.
Pathfinder: -1 AP cost per tile moved, fatigue cost of movement halved. Very good on units who need to move, not so much on a bro who will be the center of our shieldwall.
Adrenaline: Unlocks a skill that makes you go first next round. Not something I'm looking to build around.
Recover: Unlocks a skill that reduces accumulated fatigue by 50%.
Student: +20% XP gain, +1 perk at 11th level. No brainer for first level.

1waGaz1.png

With our stationery duties out of the way, it's time to go looking for a new job. With nothing being offered in Sundheim, we need to travel to the nearby towns in search of coin. We head to Harkensee, a nearby fishing village, where the locals interested in joining are too malnourished and dull to be of use to us. Still, Gothart the Councilor has put word out that he needs a mercenary company, so we shall seek him out.
IobXW1A.png

A task we are more than up for, even the meager pay won't deter us from fast work.
ojXryHe.png

The brigands with the stolen property have fled the town to North, and so we give chase.
iY0RdmS.png

We stumble upon the thieves themselves as dusk approaches, and a dilemma arises: Shall we pursue them, possibly engaging during the night, or wait until dawn? Our two ranged bros suffer horribly in the night, and it appears we will be outnumbered as well.

8km1tXU.png

Given that Jinn still needs to finish repairing his equipment, I err on the side of caution and wait for morn. As the dawn arrives, we move to engage the thieves.
YE7TQBS.png

The stage is set, it comes time to once again show that I am a competent leader, and for all of you to show that you are competent fighters.
W2RfeLb.png

The first round of combat proceeds essentially as expected. They charge, our ranged bros take a few potshots and cause minor damage, but now the melee is in full chaotic control of our lives.
DDNxNDe.png

When the third round is able to begiin, the odds have already swung into our favor massively.
QDy9e3j.png

Steve (RK47 ) and Jinn cut two of our adversaries down, Skittles and Lhynn have dealt massive damage to two others.

XrkOtyK.png

The fourth round begins, Skittles and Lhynn have slain two more, and the open wounds from Lhynn's cleaver cause another to bleed to death. Only two of the initial 7 thieves remain, one horrifically wounded and cut down by Steve's pitchfork.
ydv79JN.png

The final, lone thief is allowed to flee with his life, because...
SFJxVtP.png

We have what we really came for: the stolen coin collection for the Councilor.
SBCQtYN.png

The fight itself led to promotions for everyone else, but the loot left much to be desired, with nothing of value being acquired, only a weapon and small shield.

After the battle, I see an opportunity to address the bros, and explain my aims of not simple existing as a ragtag band of fighters, but eventually having our names known to all throughout the land and recorded in the history books as the finest there ever was.
uSLmfeD.png

The obvious next step would be to refill our roster. More hands makes the work easier on each individual. This is what I tell our bros, and with murmurs of agreement it is decided: we shall search for able recruits to increase our company's size.

Our return to Harkensee is quiet, the peasants unsure of why fighting men would be visiting their small, quiet, town. I seek out Gothart to inform him of our success.
M0V9k3I.png

With the new coin from the Harkensee administrator, it comes time to do some promotions.
Skittles is first, taking Student and points in Melee Skill, Defense, and Maximum Fatigue.
6vlad2f.png

Jinn also takes Student, and points in Melee Skill, Defense, and Initiative.
WtHK6QR.png

Steve will also take points in Melee Skill, Defense, and Fatigue, and Student.
F7KkdRn.png

Drew takes points in Ranged Skill, Defense, and resolve. And student, but seriously, isn't that a given?
KLEmKTv.png

The unclaimed bro takes points in Ranged skill, maximum fatigue, and initiative. And of course, student.
pQz8r0D.png

Andnjord

Arcane
Good work on those bandits, and I'm still amazed by the talent rolls of Jinn. Don't let him die too quickly!

Also, what do you mean by unclaimed bro? There literally half a dozen meat-bags waiting in the reserve :rpgcodex:

EDIT: I think Jinn would be a prime candidate for a dodgy nimble duelist if he survives long enough.

Drew

Savant
Also, what do you mean by unclaimed bro? There literally half a dozen meat-bags waiting in the reserve
No one interested in ranged besides Zombra and Ellef made me disinclined to force him on someone. Zombra wanted a cultist background, and I haven't even seen one yet, but if Ellef wanted to claim him that's his call. Or if someone else wants him, just let me know.

sshfZhY.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom