Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Betrayal At Krondor (COMPLETED)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dialogues play out Deus Ex style.

It's your actions and triggers that influence what you say.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Dialogues play out Deus Ex style.

It's your actions and triggers that influence what you say.

I thought it was something like that. You can skip triggers and omit parts of the story though, or do them in different order, right? Seeing as there's a freely navigateable map I presume there's some degree of non-linearity involved. Not that I mind a good linear story, just wondering if, should I be playing BaK, I would have an exact same story as you, or would it be different.

Oh, and are you omitting any sort of non-essential "random" encounters that have dialogue involved? Are they involved, or is it more of a "You encounter a Goblin band. Fight/Pay/Run?"? You were encountering some random-seeming fellows on the road in the first chapter, hence I'm wondering if the road in general is lively, or not quite as much.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Random encounters? Everything in this game is handplaced, actually.

As for the dialogues - yeah, a lot of the things in this game can be done in different orders and experienced differently.

You see, you collect the story. You go around and explore the world, and every small situation sheds some small part of the big picture. Some, you might miss, some you might pick up, and in any possible order. Sometimes, some parts of the big picture directly relate to each other and reveal a startling fact that can lead you down to a very useful and rewarding clue and quest.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I didn't quite mean "random encounters" to be Fallout-style random, more like randomly stumbling across something during exploration/travel. That's apparently the case as you pointed out, though, which's great. I missed this game when it was new, unfortunately, and it seems to be just the sort of a game I've been wanting to play for a while now, both well-written and without hand-holding.

Thanks for the LP, and do give us moar!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
We start out right here in Dimwood Forest.

krondor_000-10.jpg

krondor_001-10.jpg

krondor_002-10.jpg

krondor_003-10.jpg

krondor_004-10.jpg

krondor_005-10.jpg

krondor_006-10.jpg

krondor_007-9.jpg

krondor_008-9.jpg

krondor_009-9.jpg

krondor_010-9.jpg

krondor_011-9.jpg

So we decide to take the game's hint, and head east.
krondor_036-9.jpg
krondor_037-9.jpg

First encounter we see there is of a certain person who helped us at Highcastle.
krondor_012-9.jpg

krondor_013-9.jpg

krondor_014-9.jpg

krondor_015-9.jpg

krondor_016-9.jpg

krondor_017-9.jpg

krondor_018-9.jpg

krondor_019-9.jpg

krondor_020-9.jpg

krondor_021-9.jpg

krondor_022-9.jpg

krondor_023-9.jpg

krondor_024-9.jpg

krondor_025-9.jpg

krondor_026-9.jpg

krondor_027-9.jpg

krondor_028-9.jpg

krondor_029-9.jpg

krondor_030-9.jpg

krondor_031-9.jpg

krondor_032-8.jpg

krondor_033-9.jpg

krondor_034-9.jpg

krondor_035-9.jpg

We have four clues so far.

The rift machine is near a body of water.

An escaped rogue moredhel also came out of the rift machine.

Moreaulf is in the area.

Squire Philip, Owyn's friend from the beginning of the game, is fending off attacks by Moreaulf's troops.

Wandering around just this same area, we have another encounter.
krondor_059-9.jpg
krondor_060-8.jpg

krondor_038-9.jpg

krondor_039-9.jpg

krondor_040-9.jpg

krondor_041-9.jpg

krondor_042-8.jpg

krondor_043-8.jpg

krondor_044-8.jpg

krondor_045-8.jpg

krondor_046-8.jpg

krondor_047-9.jpg

krondor_048-9.jpg

krondor_049-9.jpg

krondor_050-9.jpg

krondor_051-9.jpg

krondor_052-9.jpg

krondor_053-9.jpg

krondor_054-9.jpg

krondor_055-9.jpg

krondor_056-9.jpg

krondor_057-9.jpg

krondor_058-9.jpg

So we find out that there is a device needed to disable the rift machine, before we even go there.

And on top of this, it is behind an illusion of a mountain. So this narrows it down to any place adjacent to a water body behind it a mountain. That makes our job quicker.

While doing one last sweep of the east, we find a note here:
krondor_062-8.jpg
krondor_063-8.jpg

krondor_061-8.jpg

A password to be used by companies of Moreaulf. It is convenient.

There are goblins on the bridge south.
krondor_064-9.jpg
krondor_065-8.jpg
krondor_066-8.jpg

krondor_067-8.jpg

krondor_068-9.jpg

krondor_069-9.jpg

krondor_070-9.jpg

Immediately, we run into Moreaulf, who is commanding forces here.

krondor_072-9.jpg

krondor_073-9.jpg

krondor_074-9.jpg

krondor_075-9.jpg

krondor_076-9.jpg

krondor_077-8.jpg

krondor_078-8.jpg

krondor_079-8.jpg

krondor_080-8.jpg

krondor_081-8.jpg

krondor_082-8.jpg

krondor_083-8.jpg

krondor_084-8.jpg

krondor_085-8.jpg

krondor_086-8.jpg

krondor_087-8.jpg

We go where Moreaulf told us and we find chests there.
krondor_088-8.jpg
krondor_089-8.jpg
krondor_090-8.jpg

krondor_091-8.jpg

krondor_092-8.jpg

No Waani. Just a note.
krondor_093-8.jpg

krondor_094-8.jpg

krondor_095-8.jpg

No problem. We go to Philip.

krondor_096-8.jpg

krondor_097-8.jpg

krondor_098-8.jpg

krondor_099-8.jpg

krondor_100-8.jpg

krondor_101-8.jpg

krondor_102-8.jpg

krondor_103-8.jpg

krondor_104-8.jpg

krondor_105-8.jpg

krondor_106-8.jpg

krondor_107-8.jpg

krondor_108-8.jpg

krondor_109-8.jpg

krondor_110-8.jpg

krondor_111-8.jpg

krondor_112-8.jpg

krondor_113-8.jpg

krondor_114-8.jpg

krondor_115-7.jpg

krondor_116-7.jpg

Here is what we need.
krondor_117-7.jpg

Now, at the illusionary mountain.
krondor_118-7.jpg
krondor_119-7.jpg

krondor_120-7.jpg

krondor_121-7.jpg

Here is the machine.
krondor_122-7.jpg

krondor_123-7.jpg

krondor_124-7.jpg

krondor_125-7.jpg

krondor_126-7.jpg

krondor_128-7.jpg

krondor_129-7.jpg

krondor_130-7.jpg

krondor_131-6.jpg

krondor_132-6.jpg

krondor_133-6.jpg

krondor_134-6.jpg

krondor_135-6.jpg

krondor_136-6.jpg

krondor_137-6.jpg

krondor_138-6.jpg

krondor_139-5.jpg

To be continued...

Erebus

Arcane
I had forgotten all about this chapter, except for the ending. I do remember I expected Patrus to turn up alive later in the game (Bene Gesserit quote : "Do not count a human dead until you see the body") and was surprised that he didn't.

Security measures do not seem to be the moredhels' strong point...

I remember finding the foreign world Owyn and Gorath have arrived to quite intriguing.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I too like the foreign world in the sense that it just shows a brief sign of what the after-effects of any world that fought with the Valheru are. The most chilling thing being that this is what the people of this world did to themselves just to prevent a Valheru rule.

This entire game shows a brief flirtation and just a small glimpse of the enormous cosmic horrors of a thing few understand, and something that is left to be, with the main characters left with only a hint of what they would have had to face.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately the silly costumes and bad direction ruin a bit the atmosphere. Thankfully the writing is excellent. What wouldn't I give for all those characters to be hand-drawn.

ShavenApe

Novice
Most awesome :D

I really wish someone had pointed this gem out to me when I was younger.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Unfortunately the silly costumes and bad direction ruin a bit the atmosphere. Thankfully the writing is excellent. What wouldn't I give for all those characters to be hand-drawn.
And thus came the hand-drawn Betrayal in Antara.

Which then also included VA, and bad VA at that.

Angthoron

Arcane
ghostdog said:

Ah yes, this is probably the main reason I didn't play it back then, well-spotted. Fortunately by the time of Torment I was less of a graphics whore.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Personally, I found the blocky graphics of the world initially daunting, because I thought, "I have to explore a giant map made entirely of all these crude shapes?"

What was most disturbing to me was that I was walking east and walking west and yet feeling like I have ended up in the exact same location, because it looked similar.

I have no idea how my mind became so accustomed to it. These graphics were dated even by the standards of 1993.

That said, the game earns its atmosphere, and does not impose it. There is a strange mysterious feeling to the forest at Elvandar precisely because it is so large and unmarked and obtrusive. There is a feeling of an adventure precisely because the size and scale of the game makes it feel like one. There is a feeling of helplessness in many situations because the game does make you helpless.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, during the course of this LP I've gotten quite used to the style of BaK. It seems like a mixed bag though, BaK dialogue interface looks better to me than BiA, there's just too much empty space there with BiA. The map that was briefly shown seemed a bit "easier" than BaK though.

Not sure about the "cartoony" characters, I might actually prefer BaK style despite the blockiness and other drawbacks.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
BIA looks good but I agree, that the screen looks a bit empty. How does it compare to BAK in the story and gameplay department ?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
BIA looks good but I agree, that the screen looks a bit empty. How does it compare to BAK in the story and gameplay department ?
I only know of Erebus and Lonely Vazdru who have played it to completion. I have not played it.

It's criticized for linearity.

Erebus

Arcane
ghostdog said:

The art in BiA is better than in BaK, but not exactly impressive either.

The technical elements of the game are very close to BaK (it's meant as a spiritual sequel, after all).

You're not quite as free to move around as in BaK. The world is quite large and, in my opinion, more original and interesting than Midkemia. There are a huge lot of minor encounters (usually when you visit houses) : they're usually of good quality and contribute a lot to the atmosphere of the game. The writing style is different from BaK's, but it works fine too.

The story's probably not as good as BaK's. The plot's about as complex but the structure could have been better and we don't always have the same feeling of intensity as in BaK.

The PCs are reasonably interesting (about as much as Owyn and his pals, anyway), but they fall under the (admittedly common) cliché of "unlikely adventurers chosen by chance". What I like about the PCs of BaK is that, except for Owyn, they couldn't have avoided being involved in the story : either because of the path they had chosen for themselves (Gorath) or because of their allegiance (James, Locklear...), they couldn't possibly have stayed away from all this.

While I like the ending of BiA, it doesn't quite solve everything.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I recall combat in bia being more of a chore for some reason. Maybe it had more complex training mechanics. I also remember a shit load of dialogs and minor quest, but, critically, none or almost none that stick in the mind like some BaK ones - i don't know/remember why.

I remember playing BaK in dos. Then i got a pirate cd with all the lucasarts/sierra/dynamix adventures + quest for glories + some rpg + ultimas + centurium + rome 92 ad + darklands.

I thought all games were like this and the future was going to be awesome.

Then the world turned out to be shit and the cd literal flaked away while being washed in water (not by me) for some reason, turning it into a transparent boomerang.

One of the sierra games i most admired there, besides Gabriel Knight, was Conquests of the Longbow. That guy who is constantly spamming his admiration for its intelligent multi-solutions is right. Sierra tried and lucasarts excelled - but mostly didn't try.

Erebus

Arcane
SCO said:
I recall combat in bia being more of a chore for some reason.

The combat system's basically the same as in BaK and I find it pretty good (it even has wounded or losing enemies running away !). You don't have truly memorable fights but most of them are reasonably entertaining. One annoying thing is that, in the four middle chapters, you only get to manage two PCs : that makes strategy limited and some fights unfairly difficult (I once had my two guys ambushed by six archers and died before I could take the slightest action).

The most serious problem with BiA is that the farther you get in the game, the buggier it becomes. In the last chapter, doing anything at all (especially access your inventory) stands a chance of crashing the game. It doesn't make it impossible to finish the game (I did), but it's certainly annoying. There's apparently a patch to fix this but it doesn't work with my version (because Sierra hates foreigners), so I can't tell how well it works.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I crashed in the end puzzle. (The whole end sequence and reveal smelled like shit pulled from you know where), so i never did end it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Problemrproblemproblem

In Chapter 8, Of Lands Afar, in the southeastern side of the map, which opens up later in the chapter, the game keeps freezing and stopping.

Is there, I don't know, a patch for this. I've played it three times before, and I have encountered minor glitches in that area, but now, I can simply not continue playing when I am in that area.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Pfft, all I need to do is stay there long enough to get the Strength Drain spell and the Valheru armour before it crashes again, and I can still continue.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ah, that should do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom