Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Disciples of Steel

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After having cleared out everything but the Fire Mountain dungeon I thought I'd play armchair general and recruit some armies. All the money I have accumulated so far was enough to buy 4 - four - elite units. That's 400 soldiers in all; 100 Heavy Cavalry, 200 Heavy Infantry and 100 Archers.
I think I'll spend the money on mushrooms instead and hunt down Variz instead of waiting for Armageddon.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Victory at last!
But what an anti-climactic final battle. One Time Stop followed by one Wrath of God was all it took. Guess I was lucky with initiative.

Completed the game on 11/5 1034. I guess that means November 5th, and that I still had 8 months left of the time limit.
I never rested once in the game, always used Transport as soon as I got it, never grinded (grinding is for women, cowards and eunuchs), fought all set pieces but always tried the Threat option on random encounters, did all the dungeons on the map, and stormed all the Rathadonian towns.
I didn't bother with the army stuff.

My best characters at the end of the game:

ObGINa2.png

XjdPPGw.png

42dkCea.png

K0GGOe8.png

J3FDn6e.png

bbSOG4W.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron

SkeleTony

Augur
I know this is a necro but I just wanted to point out to any who desire to play this game but cannot find a working copy there is a seller on ebay named "allvideo" (his real name is Chris... something or other) who sells this game (and hundreds of others) along with his own CDs that include his own install set-up for like $20 and it works flawlessly. Am playing right now and checking this thread on occasion.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damned, what a load of negative posts from me. :oops:
Despite its flaws Disciples of Steel is still one of the very best CRPGs I've played.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:
I am necroing this thread because I was wondering about the army stuff, as I am working on the kingdom/army part of my own game, Zodiac Legion, and DoS seems to be one of the closest in spirit (lead heroes in dungeons in order to run a kingdom):
How well do you think both parts are integrated in DoS, for those who focused on this part?
Is it worth playing this game to find out (time is in very short supply these days for me)?
Which games do you think does it better (I usually don't like it when the army and heroes parts are too different, like in Birthright)?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
:necro:
I am necroing this thread because I was wondering about the army stuff, as I am working on the kingdom/army part of my own game, Zodiac Legion, and DoS seems to be one of the closest in spirit (lead heroes in dungeons in order to run a kingdom):
How well do you think both parts are integrated in DoS, for those who focused on this part?
Is it worth playing this game to find out (time is in very short supply these days for me)?
Which games do you think do it better (I usually don't like it when the army and heroes parts are too different, like in Birthright)?

IIRC The CRPG Addict dabbled with the army stuff. You may want to check out his blog.
Experiencing the army stuff yourself would take quite a bit of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom