Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the Dark Eye

Modron

Arcane
Never played any of these, are they worth buying now?

Baring in mind I love Dragon Age:Origins too.
The River of Time and expansion are pretty solid and it's a shame Radon Labs didn't get a chance to make another, the first game like I said earlier starts off promising enough but the last handful of areas are mostly chores due to only a tiny handful of quests in otherwise large areas devoid of much else to do besides clear mobs. The River of Time and Phileasson's Secret are worth buying and if you enjoy them maybe the first game would be of interest bearing in mind that is not as good (but yeah if you can complete DA:O I don't see why you couldn't finish this game as well).

Fenris 2.0

Augur
and expansion are pretty solid

No, just no. The Expansion is one of the worst pieces of Software that was ever created. Especially the elemental Dungeon is a Crime. So we have a elemental themed Dungeon, let's fill it with tons of Skeletons and some Insects ! Let's do this with every elemental Node. Oh, and TDE has six Elements, great, let the Player wade to six areas full of the same Skeletons and Insects. And the Rest of the Expansion was only marginally better, it equals maybe the Neverwinter Nights 1 OC, but is thankfully shorter.

The Main Game River of Time is great though and the only Part of the Series that I can recommend. The first Part of the Series is nice Sightseeing with some very bad Quests.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 17: Jailbreak

Retrieving Rhulana and Forgrimm from his new house, Martin heads to the Temple of Hesinde.

HsY9oRi.jpg

In front of the Temple are now some familiar faces.

9kwpl4R.jpg

CvOvgI7.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Salina! I'm pleased to see you again. I hope you had a pleasant journey.

OL20JsE.jpg
As pleasant as anything can be in Hamlok's presence.

hBCX0qr.jpg
I have to try out my latest jokes on someone!

OL20JsE.jpg
I heard of the murder of your friend. My condolences, Martin Schulz.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you. Things have been very busy ever since I set foot in Ferdok.

OL20JsE.jpg
Yes, it has been similar for me. Did you hear about Dranor's arrest?

SUj2akk.jpg
Now that you mention it, yes I did! We parted ways at the city gates. He wanted to take a different route into the city, but got arrested for some past knavery.

hBCX0qr.jpg
Dranor this, Dranor that... I'm sick of hearing his name! He got what he deserved!

OL20JsE.jpg
I know the story only too well, he told me about it a thousand times. He is innocent! But the town guard won't believe that without proof. We have to help him, Martin Schulz. It wouldn't hurt him to spend some time thinking about his actions, but I can't let him rot in that dungeon!

hBCX0qr.jpg
Let him rot, eh? Hmm... that sounds like just the right thing for him!

OL20JsE.jpg
Hamlok!

SUj2akk.jpg
You're right, Salina, we should help Dranor! Do you have a plan?

OL20JsE.jpg
I managed to listen round a bit before the celebration preparations began. With a bit of sweet-talking, I managed to discover that there is a secret passage between the old cellar of the Ferdok brewery and the dungeon of the town guard...

SUj2akk.jpg
A secret passage? Between the brewery and the town guard?! That's nonsense!

OL20JsE.jpg
Well, yes. It was created a few centuries ago by Watch Captain Baron Stoutberg. Apparently he used the tunnel to smuggle large quantities of beer out of Ferdok. Heh! Until he was discovered and the entrance was bricked up.

SUj2akk.jpg
An epic tale indeed. But even if it's true, how will we get through if the entrance is bricked up?

OL20JsE.jpg
Patience, patience! You obviously haven't heard the rumors about the old brewery cellars. Apparently they have a plague of giant wolf rats. Those monsters keep burrowing through the walls to get at that tasty pale ale. They say the rats come through an underground cave system that permeates the ground beneath Ferdok. At least part of the secret passage should lead through those caves.

OL20JsE.jpg
So we could get to the secret passage through the rats' tunnels. But the place will be crawling with those monsters. As I am neither as brave nor as strong as you, I cannot venture in there myself. But you have already proven yourself more than equal to such a task.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hmm... so I need to get into the brewery and find an excuse to get into the old cellars.

OL20JsE.jpg
You could talk to the brewery caretaker and offer to deal with his rat problem. I'm sure he'll be interested in your proposal. They say they still haven't found anyone to deal with them.

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well, I’ll see what I can do.

Meanwhile Gladys takes the time to steal Hamlok’s brooch… which was actually on Salina.

pgBJYZJ.jpg

The brewery caretaker in the harbor is called… Moddlemush.

KE7DFl7.jpg

DT0O9As.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Hmm ... strange. You look exactly like my caretaker Muddlemosh!

UA30SE7.jpg
Muddlemosh?! He's my brother! Pleased to meet you, my name is Moddlemush! Not only are we in the same line of work, we are both founding members of the Guild of Caretakers! So how can I help you?

SUj2akk.jpg
I actually thought I might be able to help you. Is it true that the brewery cellar has been infested with a plague of rats recently?

UA30SE7.jpg
What?! Shhh! Not so loud... We don't want all of Ferdok to hear! How do you know that?! And, and ... and what do you want?

SUj2akk.jpg
Let's just say it's a... well-known secret. But don't worry. Like I said, I'm here to help. Simply grant me access to your cellars and I shall deal with this plague without any fuss.

UA30SE7.jpg
I... well, this is really very surprising! We've never been able to get anybody to deal with those awful rats. This is wonderful! But tell me. Do you really want to fight these rodents? They are really tough!

UA30SE7.jpg
However, access to the brewery is rarely granted and is strictly controlled... I can only take you directly to the old cellar vaults, if you really wish it. Let me point out once more. The rats down there are really dangerous! You'd be the first to even dare to enter the cellar...

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, let's go down right now!

UA30SE7.jpg
Good, good, good! As you wish!

Yet another Dwarf brother shows up and serves as guide.

peG6gRl.jpg

For now Martin will only deal with the Dranor issue; the rats are for later.

NDj9FSI.jpg

FU18eqj.jpg

leZ5dMh.jpg

Luckily it is not far to the secret prison entrance.

NJNvNyC.jpg

tMo6SNp.jpg

ngZHyGJ.jpg

There are some guards to sneak by but it’s actually not possible to get caught.

jr1yhtw.jpg

NfzsWFM.jpg

5pOReBR.jpg

Dranor is at the very end of the jail corridor.

srgZShe.jpg

liaWOtq.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Saving you?! What... what the hell do you look like?!

iiubZkI.jpg
Save? Me?! You cannot really believe that I, Dranor, am incapable of escaping from here myself! And the guards gave me this stinking shirt to wear.

SUj2akk.jpg
By yourself?! Take a look around. You are locked in a hole, deep beneath the earth, surrounded by massive walls of rock and thick steel bars!

iiubZkI.jpg
You see only what your untrained eyes allow you to see. To you, I am a prisoner in a desperate predicament. But I am actually a free man who can go where he will!

SUj2akk.jpg
Really?! And how exactly do you intend to do that? Even the lock to your cell door will be a problem.

iiubZkI.jpg
Oh my! How can you insult me like that! I am a master of my craft! Watch this!

Apparently Dranor hid a lockpick in his butthole.

JY5T9HF.jpg

iiubZkI.jpg
Quite simple. It's the principle of the thing...

SUj2akk.jpg
... the principle?! I... I'm afraid I still don't understand!

iiubZkI.jpg
I’m innocent!

SUj2akk.jpg
I see, 'innocent'. That word sounds so strange when you say it.

iiubZkI.jpg
You have to believe me! I told you at the city gates all about the case of mistaken identity! They accused me of stealing a rare Dwarven timekeeping device even though it was not me. Now I am wrongfully imprisoned in this dungeon!

SUj2akk.jpg
... and what about that "I'll just climb over the wall" business? Do you think that helped your case?

iiubZkI.jpg
Whether it did or not, I'm staying here until my innocence is proven. After all, I am a man of honor!

SUj2akk.jpg
Dranor! You can't be serious! Do you have any idea what I had to go through to get here?!

iiubZkI.jpg
I am serious! I won't set a foot outside that cell door! I have a hearing in one week. Then we'll be able to clear up this tragic misunderstanding and my double will sit in this cell while I stroll through the streets of Ferdok unmolested.

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you really sure you can take another week of these conditions? Think about it. I won't come down again to get you out...

iiubZkI.jpg
Ha! This is nothing! I can take the awful stink, the wet, mold-covered walls and the meals unfit for a dog. I will remain steadfast. I will...

iiubZkI.jpg
Martin Schulz, you're right! I ... I can't take another day in this pit! You've got to prove my innocence! Please find the merchant who accuses me of the deed.

iiubZkI.jpg
His name is 'Wulfric Harpel'. He has his own stall on the small square near the Temple of Peraine in the Ducal Citadel. Find him as quickly as possible and get to the bottom of this theft.

The merchant Dranor spoke of is not far from the Dwarf blacksmith.

90t9Olt.jpg

6JVULXw.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in your wares.

E3dzD9V.jpg
No?! How can that be? Believe me, I only offer goods of extremely high quality.

SUj2akk.jpg
As I said, I'm not interested in your wares. I'm here because of your statement to the town guard. The one about the theft of a valuable, Dwarven chronograph. You claimed that Dranor stole it?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Dranor? ... ah, you mean that rakish scoundrel of a thief! Of course it was him! First he flirted with my daughter to distract my attention and then he pilfered it from out of my pocket!

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you sure it was Dranor? He says he's not guilty and it's all a matter of mistaken identity!

E3dzD9V.jpg
Rubbish! A rogue like that would say anything to save his skin!

SUj2akk.jpg
Were there any witnesses to the theft?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Witnesses? Of course, there was... ermm...me, for example! My chronograph was stolen, wasn't it?!

SUj2akk.jpg
But someone who saw the theft?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Oh yes, of course! My pretty daughter Viola was here too! She was working here at the stall.

SUj2akk.jpg
What happened to the chronograph afterwards? Was it found?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Errm... the chronograph ... yes... what happened to it again? Let me think...

E3dzD9V.jpg
It... it must have been that scoundrel, I heard he was arrested recently. Finally, a little justice in this town!

SUj2akk.jpg
So you didn't notice the loss of the chronograph immediately?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Notice... oh, ummm... what happened again... I think... I think I only noticed a few moments later, when I wanted to check the time. I realized immediately what had happened!

SUj2akk.jpg
How can you be so sure that Dranor is guilty?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Dranor... ah, so... yes, sorry... where was I...

E3dzD9V.jpg
As I said, he was the only one nearby at the time. He was flirting with my daughter to annoy me and then picked the right moment to steal the chronograph!

Martin double checks Wulfric’s statements with his daughter.

jhdKsKz.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Could I ask you something about the theft of your father's chronograph?

6vVSVV1.jpg
Oh ... yes, I remember it very well ... Father made a big fuss about his missing chronograph ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Your father said you spoke to the thief before it happened.

6vVSVV1.jpg
Oh, yes ... he was very charming and good-looking ... with a nice soft voice... poetic words ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Your father told me you witnessed the theft.

6vVSVV1.jpg
Well. Not really ... I didn't really see it.

SUj2akk.jpg
The stolen chronograph was never found, was it?

6vVSVV1.jpg
Never found? I don't understand... A few weeks later, he gave the chronograph to a relative as a gift. They must have found it on the thief.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me about the events leading to the theft...

6vVSVV1.jpg
Well. I didn't really see anything ... I just saw my father getting upset about his stolen chronograph.

SUj2akk.jpg
Your father said there were no other people at this stall at the time of the theft. Is that true?

6vVSVV1.jpg
Well, I remember that day a bit differently than my father... it was a very busy day with lots of customers. We really had a lot to do.

SUj2akk.jpg
Erm... now I'm a bit confused. Your version and your father's version couldn't be more different!

6vVSVV1.jpg
How can that be? Father, what did you say happened?!

E3dzD9V.jpg
What... err... ? What do you mean, Viola? What did I say, about what?!

6vVSVV1.jpg
About the theft of your chronograph?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Oh, I see! Ah yes, just... what happened... ermm ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Dranor!

E3dzD9V.jpg
Exactly, Dranor flirted with you to distract me and then he stole my chronograph! I noticed a few minutes later... He absconded with my golden timekeeper, that's right! Now, it seems, he's behind bars ... but I still don't have my chronograph.

6vVSVV1.jpg
What are you talking about?! He wasn't called Dranor, he was called Randor! And you got the chronograph back a few weeks later. You gave it to Uncle Roland, remember?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Hmm ... of course ... I gave it later to my brother Roland ... but wasn't he called Dranor? Let me think...

6vVSVV1.jpg
Father, is it possible you left the chronograph at home and didn't even have it on you that day?

E3dzD9V.jpg
Well my dear, now you mention it... yes, I think that might be true... I... I... don't remember so well.

SUj2akk.jpg
But you didn't drop your charge against Dranor with the town guard when you found your chronograph again?!

E3dzD9V.jpg
Ermm... I must have... err... forgotten in all the chaos.

6vVSVV1.jpg
Father! An innocent man is behind bars because of you!

E3dzD9V.jpg
Yes... oh... no... I... wait! I'll write you a quick letter to clear it all up! There... done. Now for my seal. Please give this to the town guard. That should get your friend released!

SUj2akk.jpg
This is unbelievable! Give me that letter... you should be more careful the next time you accuse someone!

By the way Ferdok has an entire Dwarf Quarter of its own bordering the Ducal citadel… but there’s no way to get in there. The gate remains locked the entire game.

oWaSZLX.jpg

AYYvMp1.jpg

So Martin can now have Dranor released… not sure the idiot is worth all this trouble.

rwVs2Wy.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I am here because of Dranor. He has been wrongfully arrested. I have a letter here from the merchant, Wulfric Harpel, explaining the misunderstanding!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Dranor, innocent?! Hm. Let me see... hmm, aha... right ... I see. ... Excuse me? ... What?!

xLsNY0x.jpg
How could that pompous fop of a merchant do something like this?! Unbelievable! Accuse someone just because they have a similar name! All because the fine gentleman misplaced his 'timekeeper'!

xLsNY0x.jpg
I remember all too well how furious he was when he cried to me about his 'precious Dwarven chronograph'. He even threatened to take the matter to the Count if I didn't do something! Imagine that?! That arrogant fool. He'd better not come to me with tales like that again! I...

SUj2akk.jpg
Err... sorry for the interruption. But... what about Dranor? Can he go now?

xLsNY0x.jpg
What? Oh, sorry. I... things like this just make me so angry. Thrown into jail because of someone else's stupidity! Terrible! Reuben? Release Dranor and bring him here!

jT0xOMl.jpg

rDZl9Ng.jpg

xLsNY0x.jpg
Dranor, thanks to Martin Schulz, you are now a free man. Your innocence in the matter has been demonstrated. You are free to go! Please forgive the mistake. It won't happen again.

SUj2akk.jpg
Well, it wasn't entirely my doing. This thing probably wouldn't have been cleared up if it weren't for Salina.

iiubZkI.jpg
Salina? She's in Ferdok?! And she's been working to free me? That... that's wonderful!

xLsNY0x.jpg
Of course, yes, you also owe her your gratitude for clearing the matter up. Please accept my apologies again for this misunderstanding. And please, don't try to climb the city walls again!

iiubZkI.jpg
Fine. I never blamed you for this. That merchant is the one I blame. As far as climbing the city walls, I vow to mend my ways. But excuse me. Martin Schulz, we should go!

Dranor will now very likely spend the rest of the game at Ardo’s residence.

SUj2akk.jpg
Wait for me at my Ferdok residence. It's directly opposite Praios Square, opposite the temple.

iiubZkI.jpg
A residence?! By Phex! You already have a residence on Praios Square?! Unbelievable!

SUj2akk.jpg
Well, the circumstances in which I obtained it are not exactly pleasant. Count Growin gave it to me for my help in solving the murders. It belonged to my friend and mentor, Ardo of Boarstock. He was also a victim of those murders.

iiubZkI.jpg
Oh dear, I always put my foot in it. Phex forgive me. Well, in that case... you will find me there. Thank you again for your help. I won't forget it.

Returning to Salina, she’s no longer around for some reason.

syt5qtR.jpg

Wk0xWKj.jpg

hBCX0qr.jpg
I hope that good-for-nothing Dranor is still stewing in his cell.

SUj2akk.jpg
I wouldn't count on it, if I were you! But I'm here for another reason. Can you tell me where Salina is?

hBCX0qr.jpg
She's traveling and has to take care of a few things before the celebrations begin.

SUj2akk.jpg
Ah... and something else. Please tell Salina that Dranor is a free man once again.

hBCX0qr.jpg
What?! By all the cursed…

hBCX0qr.jpg
… er… but sure…

With that matter cleared up, Martin can now focus on the next part of the main quest: the Temple of Hesinde.

c9n7ntQ.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 18: Amoeba

Martin can enter the Temple of Hesinde due to Rakorium.

ZL74W1g.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm here at Rakorium's behest. He wrote to tell me that Deont Dorion himself requires my help.

yapQWc6.jpg
Oh. You must be Martin Schulz. Yes, we have a rather unusual problem. Please go in! Deont Dorion awaits you. He will be able to tell you more. I'll open the door for you.

Inside, Martin speaks to the head priest, Dorion.

jAz25zG.jpg

3i98azL.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, Martin Schulz is my name. Master Rakorium wrote to me and asked me to help you.

oTZHW8l.jpg
Hesinde be praised that you are here. As you may already know, this temple had to be completely rebuilt. What you do not know, however, is that the old vaults beneath the building are largely intact. They hold old writings and books with secrets that go beyond our wildest imaginings.

SUj2akk.jpg
It is certainly a blessing for you that all these treasures were protected under earth and rock. But what exactly can I help you with?

oTZHW8l.jpg
You will soon understand. But first I must tell you an ancient secret. According to the ancient writings and legends, the catacombs under our feet conceal an ancient relic of the Hesinde order that has been passed down from generation to generation of Dragon Quest votaries. It is used to call forth auguries from the Oracle when the time of the Dragon Quest begins again.

oTZHW8l.jpg
When we first started rebuilding the temple, we also sent the first expeditions to the deeper vaults until they were attacked by strange, gigantic amoebas. Although we were prepared for danger on our expeditions, their sheer numbers surprised us. However, we discovered that the relic was broken into three fragments that were then dispersed throughout the catacombs. Rakorium was certain that you were the one who could purge the vault of this plague and recover the Voice of the Oracle.

SUj2akk.jpg
I would be happy to help you, Deont Dorion. It would be a great misfortune if the feast of the Temple of Hesinde and the Holy Dragon Quest could not take place. Ferdok has truly suffered enough.

oTZHW8l.jpg
Wonderful! The entrances to the lower vaults are locked, however. Novice Avanti currently has the key. He is in the lower level, searching for some of the ancient writings we were able to preserve from the monsters. Get the key from him and search the infested section of the catacombs for the Voice of the Oracle.

Gladys can pickpocket two books from Dorion that provide some background information.

2rxDajn.jpg

bjV0sP8.jpg

6NqEQb0.jpg

GHBFwGL.jpg

9rKYDce.jpg

7bfgocP.jpg

The other old priest can provide a lot of detailed information as well.

et95rOQ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Venerable Master Ardat, I would like to ask you a few questions.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Hesinde's wisdom from my lips. I am happy to answer.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about you and Dorion.

sKGJqVU.jpg
For many years I was entrusted with guarding the secrets of the Dragon Quest and the voice of divine messenger. But in recent years my main task has been the reconstruction of the Temple of Hesinde and the recovery of lost but unforgotten knowledge, deep in the once secret catacombs beneath the temple ruins.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Dorion was a young Draconite novice when he told me of his first visions of the divine messenger. From that point onwards, I prepared to take my place as the Guardian of the Oracle. And I succeeded, as you can now see. Now my modest task is to share my wisdom with my brothers and sisters of the order, to ensure that it is not lost.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me the tale of the Dragon Quest and the Oracle.

sKGJqVU.jpg
The story of the Dragon Quest goes back to the time when Ferdok was little more than a tiny settlement. According to the legend, a messenger from the divine powers bestowed upon a local child of Ingerimm the shield that is known today as 'The Shield of the Fendral'. But the messenger also spoke to the recipient of the shield in words he could neither comprehend nor interpret. Although the divine messenger departed, the legend remains.

sKGJqVU.jpg
As time went on, a few people began to hear the voice of the divine messenger in their souls. It spoke of great dangers and an ancient dragonlike threat that lurks and waits in the shadows. A band of fellow believers soon formed within the Church of Hesinde. They swore to uphold the message and protect the world from the sinister menace that we have been warned of.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Since then, the holy fellowship of the Dragon Quest strives to follow the inspiration of divine messenger. The Dragon Quest is proclaimed every 78 years to find the one champion who will thwart the forces of darkness.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me of the destruction of the temple and its reconstruction.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Many years ago, the old temple was burned to the ground. To this day, nobody knows what caused the fire.

sKGJqVU.jpg
The destruction of the temple remains a mystery, as nobody survived the fire. It was a day of great sorrow in which many of our order perished. Many of them had sworn to guard the secrets of the Dragon Quest.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Not only did our beloved brothers and sisters perish, an immense amount of knowledge was lost with them forever. That included the centerpiece of all knowledge of the Dragon Quest. The Holy Book of the Serpent.

oTZHW8l.jpg
Forgive me for interrupting, Venerable Ardat. But are you not forgetting that some of this knowledge may be revealed by our excavations?

sKGJqVU.jpg
I was just coming to that. As Brother Dorion just rightly pointed out, the excavations carried out during the temple reconstruction work have just uncovered the old catacombs that lay beneath the old building.

sKGJqVU.jpg
It seems that despite their dreadful predicament, some of our order had the presence of mind to save as much of the ancient knowledge as possible in the safer sections of the catacombs. Unfortunately, the recovered texts contain no clue as to the cause of the catastrophic fire.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me of the legends of the Adamantine Heart.

sKGJqVU.jpg
"Legends" may be right! There are countless myths, sagas and events from ancient times that are said to have created it.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Alchemists, magicians and philosophers speak of the mythical Adamantine Heart. An incomparable crystal that bestows great power and wisdom on its discoverer. Whatever the legend's origins, it is powerful enough to have stayed in the thoughts and teachings of many great minds: To some the Adamantine Heart is a gift from the Gods, to others it represents temptation, the quest for knowledge or a source of immeasurable wealth.

sKGJqVU.jpg
For the disciples of the Oracle of the Dragon Quest, the 'Adamantine Heart' is the key to diverting the dark menace that we believe slumbers in the shadows around us. But this does not mean that we close our eyes to other interpretations. It may well have more than one aspect.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Because, however - and this is my opinion - nobody has yet been able to get to the bottom of the legend, it would also be extremely unlikely that the artifact has only one use. Remember this during your search.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me about your Goddess Hesinde and her ways.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Hesinde is one of the Twelvegods, as well as the goddess of magic, knowledge and the arts. She is worshipped most in the more civilized regions of Aventuria. The sixth month of the Aventurian year is dedicated to her.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Her worship is particularly strong in the area of 'Fairfield'. Her holy beast is the serpent. She is often represented as a bare-breasted woman in the robes of a wise woman, holding a serpent up to the heavens. Hesinde is pleased by everything involving the gathering and dissemination of knowledge, as well as the creation of new and beautiful things.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Her yellow and green-robed votaries travel to far-off lands to carry out research and record the knowledge they collect. The library of the Temple of Hesinde in Kuslik is filled with thousands of books, parchments and scrolls. It is the biggest such collection in all Aventuria. The temple is also a repository for many artifacts - some of them magical.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Hesinde is one of the oldest gods of Aventuria. Even the Achaz honored Hesinde under the name of 'H'Szint', although they worship her more as the embodiment of transformation and change. Nandus, Mada and Xeledon are children of Hesinde, while her most important Alveraniar is the High Dragon Naclador. Servants of Hesinde include the Holy Dragon Order, also known as the Draconites, the Sisterhood of Mada and various smaller cults and groups.

SUj2akk.jpg
Many thanks for enriching my knowledge.

In the lower part of the Temple Martin goes to fetch the key. It is in the possession of one apprentice Avenatti.

TX2FtVO.jpg

HFCe6Ax.jpg

kTtThNI.jpg

T7qnJqN.jpg
Oh yes, that's right. I'm sorry. I'm a little ... umm... busy. I'm supposed to find a document down here for Master Dorion, but I can't find it. You know, we were in such a rush to save the texts from the amoebas in the lower vaults that everything here is total chaos now *sigh*... If only they'd asked me, everything would be in much better order.

SUj2akk.jpg
Errmmm… I need the key.

T7qnJqN.jpg
Oh yes! The key, that's right! But things will change starting tomorrow! We're going to sort out all these scrolls and books. How else will we ever find something?

SUj2akk.jpg
The key?

T7qnJqN.jpg
... my goodness! Here it is, take it! But be careful. It's crawling with gigantic vermin down there.

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes... that's why I'm here. Thank you for the key. You should go back up. Reverend Dorion is waiting for you.

T7qnJqN.jpg
Yes, I just need to find that document quickly...

It is time to go whacking amoebae in the closed off area.

ri2aH40.jpg

Amoebae are very annoying enemies. They regenerate very fast, can cause a status effect when their attack hits but most annoying of all it the “rotting stink” they cause when close to them.

lt9Plim.jpg

VTu6Iim.jpg

Rotting stink causes -3 penalty to charisma, a big no-no for any mage. It can only be removed by using soap.

zxNRGbY.jpg

It is best to attack the amoebae one by one and hit them hard. Fire works well to negate their regeneration.

BUCgO5Q.jpg

There are at least twenty amoebae in the lower parts of the Temple in total.

mTbRh8J.jpg

Martin’s task is to gather three parts of a dragon statue.

iJ8sD1f.jpg

wXiOxc5.jpg

The three parts together form a statue of Umbracor – in the lore, Umbracor is one of the three Ancient Dragons, guardians of the balance.

Of course, the third part of the statue isn’t where it’s supposed to be.

7caCJNk.jpg

The search leads to the deepest part of the Temple, where at least there are no amoebae.

hjhSg45.jpg

There are small emerald spiders in this cave area, but these enemies aren’t very dangerous.

DR7VtjB.jpg

B4fKzAm.jpg

However, where there are small spiders there is usually a big momma spider.

dDOZT3g.jpg

The big spiders have powerful poison that can knock out even Rhulana and Forgrimm. Clarum Purum (which not only clears poison but also grants poison immunity) is rather important.

SxCu9uf.jpg

B5od9DE.jpg

AIbX2AP.jpg

The final piece of the statue is behind the big spider. Apparently one of them assassin faggets stole it.

U30QHOv.jpg

n6wahEL.jpg

There’s a document on the corpse of the assassin.

XpwlCdZ.jpg

EccOzp6.jpg

Now, who might “W” be?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 19: Chosen One

Legging it back all the way to Dorion, Martin hands over the statue parts.

vqkK0sg.jpg

hYLjp33.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
It would be an honor to attend the ceremony!

The reassembled statue speaketh.

Hbt4nVq.jpg

WeSRIxt.jpg

ql17gSt.jpg

mi4QRiA.jpg

JV5WbU5.jpg

This “Oracle” voice is not female, but male and “dragon-y”.

m7b8nvL.jpg

e7CHClY.jpg

y4KS2sb.jpg

QXOn4Cb.jpg

Na70H2o.jpg

3jkA7Ku.jpg

oNNTgdx.jpg

Three guesses as to whom turns out to be the “Chosen One”…

1iExX84.jpg

2o53kXV.jpg

EdnK7PX.jpg

Dc40yiA.jpg

iYFXz98.jpg

xTAzfft.jpg

fDLXXvK.jpg

A new location has now appeared on the world map: Moorbridge.

SUj2akk.jpg
Deont Dorion, I have a question about the words of the Oracle. Are you able to interpret the riddle?

oTZHW8l.jpg
The oracle spoke of a confused mind with knowledge of dragon lore. Do you think that could mean Master Rakorium? If I'm not mistaken, he set off for Moorbridge some time ago.

SUj2akk.jpg
Why did the Oracle seek me out?

oTZHW8l.jpg
Nobody can truly answer that question. The intricate paths of Hesinde seldom reveal their secrets, even if you follow them all the way to their apparent end. Even I can only guess at why this destiny has been chosen for you. Concentrate your thoughts on the path that lies ahead and remember those who have gone before you.

Martin has his work cut out for him. Upon leaving the Temple, he even gets a sidequest shoved unto him.

sIM3YLI.jpg

19xE4Sk.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, that is right. You are well informed... What is your wish?

bXyVQP1.jpg
A precious jewelry case has been stolen by a no-good thief! She stole it from me, Ibrom Soapstone, in my own tavern! But Phex has not left me completely in the dark. I heard that this thief was seen playing boltan in the guest house in Moorbridge. Her name is Thalya.

SUj2akk.jpg
Really? And what does this have to do with me?

bXyVQP1.jpg
Well, you are on your way there. So I thought... how can I put it... couldn't you help me get back my jewelry case?

SUj2akk.jpg
What’s in it for me?

bXyVQP1.jpg
Well, I could give you a couple of farthings for your trouble.

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well, I will deal with your problem!

bXyVQP1.jpg
My thanks! You can find me in the 'Serene Sow'. I must go now and pay a quick visit to an old friend. Good luck, Martin Schulz.

AVk01E6.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 20: Drain the swamp

Martin departs for Moorbridge; along the way is another random encounter.

NXYCeND.jpg

MXiHjFK.jpg

xjrWXnD.jpg

First encounter is just a pack of boars.

lPfM3Ed.jpg

90jwoK6.jpg

WK2qanf.jpg

However further down the road is an ogre. Same tactics apply as in River of Time.

nxHDnPl.jpg

bPjDLGp.jpg

Z6AN3d5.jpg

Traveling onward to Moorbridge, it turns out an extremely dreary location.

bTJvRAP.jpg

A cutscene starts upon arrival.

lxL6ktD.jpg

It’s apparently Bredo Bento from Avestrue.

xJ1BF4L.jpg

lg8MOB2.jpg

ozp5yee.jpg

BPYloTy.jpg
Me? An undead monster?!

BPYloTy.jpg
You can't be serious about confusing me with one of those undead! Please, have some pity and come to your senses!

UJibQen.jpg
Silence! Every child knows that the undead always roam away from the paths! And I, Burgess Sheffler, caught this creature of darkness as it was weaving through the marshes toward our village!

UJibQen.jpg
Hear ye, citizens of Moorbridge. I will now carry out the sentence and deliver this undead creature from its blasphemous existence!

Martin comes to the rescue in the nick of time.

qiLpQr9.jpg

khJr83n.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You want to execute this man only because he got lost in the moor? Did I understand you correctly?

UJibQen.jpg
How dare you interfere?! I'm the Bailiff of Moorbridge! I decide what is lawful and unlawful here, not any nobody who happens to come this way!

There’s a persuasion check here, this is up to Gladys.

LC6W11o.jpg

akq7TTZ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Many thanks for your change of heart, esteemed bailiff. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced.

UJibQen.jpg
People of Moorbridge! The execution of the sentence has been cancelledfor now. So go back to the inn. Just nobody should get the bright idea of running around out here in view of how dangerous it is now!

CxMeR63.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You don't have to thank me, my good fellow. Thank Phex that he had me get here just at that very moment.

BPYloTy.jpg
Oh, I'll certainly do that, too. However, it is actually because of Boron's concerns that I ended up in this godforsaken place. I wanted to bring a few goods to Morlinde the Deont.

SUj2akk.jpg
A Boron Deont? I don't understand. Why didn't she intervene when your life was being threatened? After all, you came here for her sake.

BPYloTy.jpg
That's just the problem. The Deont seems to have disappeared. I didn't see her up at the temple, only a strange fellow who immediately called that bailiff.

SUj2akk.jpg
The village's Boron Deont has vanished, and instead of looking for her executions of lost travellers are planned?!

BPYloTy.jpg
Do you understand now, why I was so frightened? Something about this whole thing is very fishy. You should absolutely look for the Deont. I'm sure that she needs help, wherever she may be.

SUj2akk.jpg
To be honest, I'm already looking for someone: I was told that Rakorium the magician is likely here in Moorbridge.

BPYloTy.jpg
Then you shouldn't waste any more time and start searching the area for him and Morlinde right away. I hate to think what kind of dangers they are being exposed to out there.

SUj2akk.jpg
You're right, I'l get started with the search right away.

BPYloTy.jpg
Do that. In the meantime I'll hide back there by the abandoned house on stilts at the edge of the village. I'm certainly not eager to meet the bailiff and his men alone again. Meet me there if you have any news or questions.

Bento comes up with a key that will undoubtedly prove useful.

gSsqgbe.jpg

There are some wolf rats hanging around the place; exterminating them is actually part of a small sidequest.

NO40oM6.jpg

Inside the tavern is a conspicuous unnamed rogue; this is obv. Thalya Soapstone talked about.

lVXOFWC.jpg

cjV6BZ8.jpg

SsKqh8X.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The way things look, you are not that at all, by a long sight. My name is Martin Schulz. May I ask why you are here and what your name is?

TZAZVjo.jpg
You may. At least *cough* in regard to my name. Bellisa Greenmont.

SUj2akk.jpg
Pleased to meet you. You weren't outside at the gathering.

TZAZVjo.jpg
One can *cough* scarcely hold it against me, that I preferred not to witness that superstitious ceremony. I might *cough* have very well been *cough* the next victim, because coughing is seen as the first sign of becoming undead. The irony of *cough* fate, that the bailiff became the victim of his own *cough cough* bloodthirstiness.

SUj2akk.jpg
If you don't want to tell me what circumstance brings you here, then may I at least know the reasons for your reticence?

TZAZVjo.jpg
Well, I ... Oh, what the heck. Let's save the chit-chat and put our cards *cough cough* on the table. Soapstone from Ferdok sent you, isn't that true? *cough*

SUj2akk.jpg
I ... well, if you put it that way. The description does fit you closely, in fact. If you had not confessed first, I would surely have brought it up, Thalya!

TZAZVjo.jpg
Thalya di Ravendoza, if you please! To get straight to the point *cough*: I didn't want to clean Soapstone out, at least not to that extent. I myself am the victim of appalling circumstances that forced me to that act of desperation. I'll make you a business proposition *cough*, even much more than that: I'm asking for your help.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm somewhat surprised. To be honest, I was sure that you were going to deny the theft. But above all I ask myself why you specifically chose Moorbridge as your hiding place.

TZAZVjo.jpg
I'll explain it all to you. It's quite a long story, however.

SUj2akk.jpg
Even though I don't have much time, I would like to hear your story. Just tell me the most important points very briefly.

TZAZVjo.jpg
Very *cough* well. Very briefly: The necklace that I'm wearing is cursed. Recently I learned how the curse can be removed. To this end, I must go into one of the crypts that *cough* are scattered across the moor. And because it is too *cough* dangerous for me to go into the moor alone, I need your help. Should you help me, you'll get *cough cough* Soapstone's belongings back once the curse has been banished.

TZAZVjo.jpg
That's why I need you to escort me, so that I can take the necklace back to the place it belongs. But as long as this plague of undead is running riot, I'm not setting one foot outside, with or without an escort. Please return to me as soon as you have news that the undead attacks are diminishing. So that we can be on our way post haste.

SUj2akk.jpg
When the undead pestilence has been eradicated, would you lead me to the crypt in question and take responsibility for your misdeeds?

TZAZVjo.jpg
Yes, I promise. You can count on me in this case. I stand by my word.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'll come back to that. But first I'm going to deal with the undead in the moor. Until soon, Thalya!

The local tavern keeper gives a lot of information.

mSqWXox.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Pretty quiet reception here.

K262IYy.jpg
Yes, it isn't easy for strangers who take on the bailiff right away. But that shouldn't be your concern. You handled the situation correctly from my point of view.

K262IYy.jpg
What can I do for you?

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm always looking to give help. Are there any problems in the area you could use a hand with?

K262IYy.jpg
You could look for Morlinde and escort her back to the village, safe and sound. Moorbridge is lost with or without a bailiff, but Morlinde's absence can make the difference between life and death for all of us.

K262IYy.jpg
It just occurred to me that you could also take care of a small thing for me. Some wolf rats are constantly getting into my storeroom. I would reward you well if you could eliminate the beasts, which are roaming around near my inn. These creatures are more brazen than a horde of leprechauns! They aren't even scared off when Ulfred works at the anvil, instead they nearly jump into his lap.

SUj2akk.jpg
About those wolf rats. I've already gotten rid of all the wolf rats around the inn. Old habit of mine.

K262IYy.jpg
Wonderful, then please take these 4 silver thalers as a reward.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you very much! 4 silver thalers for those few wolf rats? You are definitely no Scrooge.

K262IYy.jpg
Well, I don't charge just good prices when it comes to taking money in.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm looking for an old magician. His name is Rakorium. Was he here at the inn, or do you know where he could have ended up?

K262IYy.jpg
He was here for a day and then continued on his way. Just as I was about to clean up his room, I found an old book that he probably had left here by accident. Just a good hour ago, one of his novices came here quite scared, got the book and hurried off again. I think he came from the moor, as dirty as he was.

SUj2akk.jpg
What is this plague of undead about?

K262IYy.jpg
Well, growing numbers of undead have been coming out of the moor for a few moons and attacking the dwellings of the peat cutters living at the village outskirts. A few of the survivors managed to save themselves by moving into the village center. Others have barricaded themselves in their moor huts.

SUj2akk.jpg
Strangers seem to be a thorn in your bailiff's side. Why is he so full of anger?

K262IYy.jpg
It seems to me that our bailiff has gotten a second wind since our Morlinde disappeared. I used to be able to talk some sense into him now and then, with Morlinde's support. But now ... without her here to counteract him, he just frightens me.

SUj2akk.jpg
What can you tell me about Moorbridge?

K262IYy.jpg
There isn't much to tell, to be honest. Originally it was a woodcutters' settlement, whose residents eventually ensured the gradual disappearance of the trees in the area. This place is also said to have been one of the numerous battlegrounds of the Magic Wars. But I don't know very much about that. However, what is clear is that many believe that a lot of dark and strange things in the moor resulted from those wars.

Leaving the village, there’s a small island off the road infested with skeletons.

K2jrzB9.jpg

gVn9Kg7.jpg

wgV7TuY.jpg

There’ll be a lot of skeleton killing.

A bit further past the island is a fight with undead Rufus and his undead mule. Martin met living Rufus back in Avestrue.

8M5GkV6.jpg

CiVz05O.jpg

The mule can apparently inflict very dangerous poison and 2 wounds with a bite. This is not too easy.

In any case, Rufus drops a quest item.

ixdU8TU.jpg

Strangely enough not far away is a giant crab… also not too easy at this point.

EHYBkPB.jpg

YQiAoxs.jpg

bt4dSGD.jpg

For now, Martin will look around some crypts.

Fe1xkNo.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's only this three companions, or are there other available? Also can Bento die if you fail to convince the bailiff?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 21: Necromancer

The crypt on the right can be entered with Bredo’s key. All other crypts in the area are locked for now.

j1PkiRe.jpg

Inside are just some idiots.

2d192Py.jpg

kB2kBtp.jpg

There are some persuasion checks here but it’s just as easy to kill them.

Since Gladys has 13 Fast Talk failure is rare.

2y9qRxZ.jpg

noWQ3OA.jpg

zrRswvE.jpg
What do you mean this hideaway is pathetic? It's bad enough that I have to rob graves to put food on the table! Now you want to make a brigand out of me! You know how I hate hiding!

zrRswvE.jpg
Greetings! It's nice to meet someone out in the swamps that isn't either dead, or undead and looking for something to eat.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm looking for Moorbridge's Boron Deont. Do you know where she could be?

zrRswvE.jpg
Seen? How come? Er ... no, we haven't. But you shouldn't worry about her. I'm sure she'll turn up soon.

SUj2akk.jpg
[Human Nature] My presence here seems to disturb you. Or why else did you hesitate?

zrRswvE.jpg
What... how now? Oh, it was a stupid idea anyway. I didn't want any of this from the beginning.

SfsUdK1.jpg
Shut your trap, Flint!

zrRswvE.jpg
No, I am doing the talking now! We've gone too far, Treestone! If we don't confide in someone, this despicable fellow will finish us off, or condemn us to join the ghastly ranks of the undead.

SUj2akk.jpg
Bring about a ghastly fate as undead? What are you talking about?!

zrRswvE.jpg
There's a necromancer here in the moor, who - like you - caught us red-handed and wanted to turn us into his minions right away. We resisted with all our might, but were quickly overwhelmed. However, I was able to convince him ...

SfsUdK1.jpg
Persuade? You were groveling like a wee babe! Oh, and while we're lifting lids on a few dirty coffins, I might as well tell you how things really were: my friend was busy begging and groveling for his life, while I had all but made my peace for this world...

SUj2akk.jpg
And what happened after that?

SfsUdK1.jpg
That sinister magician was just about to snuff us out, when - suddenly - he stopped dead in his tracks, as if an inner voice had called him back. To talk about a change of heart would be an exaggeration, but all at once he was almost pleasant.

SfsUdK1.jpg
He demanded that we eliminate the village's Boron Deont. Only then would he spare us. Even more than that, he even reassured us that the undead would never bother us again.

SfsUdK1.jpg
So we agreed. We were able to lure Morlinde into one of the crypts that we had a key to. So the door was shut, and the Deont was gone. We gave the key to the necromancer. Maybe he spared us, but he didn't seem to be completely satisfied. I suppose he wanted to see the woman dead.

zrRswvE.jpg
But he kept his word and let us live to see another day. And after that, we could even explore the graves that were previously impossible to enter because of all the undead down below.

SUj2akk.jpg
In exactly which crypt did you imprison Morlinde?

zrRswvE.jpg
Nothing will have happened to the Deont. She hasn't been locked up very long. The crypt is near the village entrance. I'll mark the exact location on your map.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do that. I'll go to make sure nothing is amiss. In case something has happened to her, at least I know now who should be held to account.

There’s a light further in the marsh; it’s Rakorium kicking ass.

D1UlT9b.jpg

ALVHzSt.jpg

IriAnCi.jpg

caViLng.jpg

225luHO.jpg

Some zombies need to be squashed before talking to Rakorium.

fKmUIRE.jpg

H8s2YyA.jpg

a93yTfa.jpg

7AiHrOd.jpg
Master Rakorium, it was Rufus you sent away, not me. And that person there isn't Rufus, but the person for whom we wrote the certificate of good character in Avestrue. Do you remember?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Remember? Oh that's my specialty! Now I know ... oh, it's not Rufus ... it's ... We met him in Avestrue ... We issued him a letter of recommendation ... um ... But then where is Rufus?

SUj2akk.jpg
I have to tell you about a sad discovery: Your novice Rufus was attacked by undead and had already become one of them by the time I came across him and his mule. I was only just barely able to evade him.

7AiHrOd.jpg
Oh, no, poor, loyal Rufus! How dreadful ... oh, why did it have to happen?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Damn it! I never should have ... He was all alone ... Practically irreplaceable ... And yet another soul falls victim to this foul intrigue ...These monstrosities ... You're only safe if you're behind a magic shield these days. Still, I will have to finish the ritual ... But ... oh, I can't concentrate! Please, be so kind as to remove these ... er ... troublemakers.

SUj2akk.jpg
What are you brewing here that is so important that you are willing to risk your life ... and that of your novices?

IcRVYwP.jpg
It's rock vitriol, potent stuff ... but that is just the step to ... oh, yes, I think I'd better give it another stir ... Let yourself be surprised, I don't want to reveal too much, heh heh.

SUj2akk.jpg
What could have lured these corpses and undead out from their graves?

IcRVYwP.jpg
A justified question, indeed, oy oy ... possibly someone did not take care, uh ... upon entering one of the old ruins and set off an ... hoo, old dark curse ... Oh, since the undead are coming from a northwesterly direction, I am discounting a connection to my uh ... research entirely.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you know what the story is with these ruins? Is there something special about them or are there old tales?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Oh yes, old ruins from the time of the Magic Wars, um yes. Once a place of ... uh, and especially great Potentia and occult mysteries ... yes, where do I begin? Excuse me, my thoughts ... are always revolving around the rock vitriol, it must not fail. I'll tell you of legends and myths ... yes, another time would be better.

SUj2akk.jpg
My thirst for knowledge has been allayed for the moment. Now I'll be off to continue my search for the source of the undead pestilence.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Fugare! And, oh: These creatures ... they are all staggering towards us from a northwesterly direction. Are there breeding grounds there? Maybe a hatchery of sorts? But be careful ... the architects of this vile plan are most surely there, too ... in that direction, I mean.

7AiHrOd.jpg
Yes, let's put an end to this terrible plague and help my master finish his ritual! Rufus' death should not have been for nothing ... Oh, no, look! The next group of undead creatures is already approaching!

More zombies show up to squash; it’s clear the pesky necromancer needs to be snuffed out before anything else.

M7jiEC3.jpg

sdFEdnd.jpg

Some of the graves in the area contain some useful loot.

sbxOH1Y.jpg

The necromancer’s lair is in the northernmost part of the marsh. There are some skulls that spawn endless undead and need to be destroyed.

KmTyw8y.jpg

Swuzmgk.jpg

xFESmzx.jpg

nmqhL2P.jpg

wEfitg8.jpg

8NlQ9uc.jpg

The necromancer has a small undead army but they will be finished as soon as he’s dead.

GCoyAFE.jpg

Tw8FOHc.jpg

In the end the necromancer was a mere petty mage with petty loot.

8kYYU3w.jpg

There’s more bronze loot to be found but it’s too heavy and ugly to wear.

8oAc8EW.jpg

Returning to Rakorium, the dotard sets Martin to another task.

g5gpMCJ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I defeated a practitioner of black magic in battle in a nearby ruin. He was the one who summoned all these undead from the crypts and graves.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Undead from crypts and graves? That's horrible! I, uh ... am doing research here just now ... a disturbance such as that would be unwelcome, indeed ... Wonderful, wonderful.

7AiHrOd.jpg
Many thanks in my name, too. Now at least others will be spared the fate that poor Rufus met with in the future. I wish I had been able to carry out such a heroic deed myself ...

IcRVYwP.jpg
Hum, yes indeed, Nottel. Now I remember why we ... Well, why we have to work enshrouded in the flickering light of this protective spell ... At last! I can ... oh ... er ... make him disappear, hehe ...

IcRVYwP.jpg
Good, good ... One door opens and another closes ... Now what was I doing? Ah, yes! I have another problem to solve.

SUj2akk.jpg
Yet another disturbance that needs to be eliminated?

IcRVYwP.jpg
The statue up here on the plateau ... an ancient lizard creature ... did you get a look at that staff ... with the ... um, unusual crystal? That is not just plain jewelcraft, but a magical relic from ancient times. I must have the crystal from the staff ... yes, yes, but without damaging it in the process. How to do that! Rock vitriol! But Nottel and I ... we haven't quite succeeded yet. Some ingredients are lacking ... oh, where are my thoughts? Ah, yes. We forgot them, Nottel and I ... Surely you can divine, what you ... so, will you help me?

SUj2akk.jpg
Keep your thoughts together, Master Rakorium, and tell me exactly what I should do ...

IcRVYwP.jpg
First of all ... when you vanquished Rufus ... did you, er ... find a book on him? He was ... I had left some indispensible notes at the inn in Moorbridge ... A book ... it contains important spell notes ... and recipes. Especially for the rock vitriol, which I'm not being completely successful with. It's supposed to free the crystal ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, I found the notes on him. Here, please take them.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Feurio! My thanks. I'm inconsolable about Rufus' fate. Sometimes I'm not quite certain ... err ... we must not fail now, if only for the sake of his sacrifice.

IcRVYwP.jpg
What are these scribbles ... Aha! Of course! Three things are still missing, um ... yes, with those things the rock vitriol will have the maximum potency! A mandrake, the fresh yolk of a harpy's egg and a rock goblin's teeth. Is that so.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Do you require any advice before you go on your way?

SUj2akk.jpg
I found this key on the conjurer of the undead. Do you know anything about it?

IcRVYwP.jpg
This ... hmm, presumably belongs to a door, uh, yes ... hm. A door that leads to things ... that would be pleasing to a conjurer of undead. As in, err, a door to a crypt would be likely. Yes, just so. What, uh ... else do you want to know?

SUj2akk.jpg
This crystal. May I ask what you need it for, Master Rakorium?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Uhh ... not at the moment, no. My research is only in early ... in the initial stage. The experts will ... be amazed! However, not all of the riddles have been solved yet, do you understand? And as important as it will be for science, I conclude ... You wouldn't understand it anyway, no, no ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you have any idea where I can find mandrake?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Nottel, what do we know about mandrake?

7AiHrOd.jpg
*Sigh* Yes, master. "The mandrake or mandragora is a small, inconspicuous plant with very narrow leaves that are serrated around the edges. But it is not the deep green leaves that are the interesting part of the plant, but the pale root, whose form often resembles that of a human being. It is for that reason that many magical properties are ascribed to the mandrake, and yes, even a soul.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Excellent, Ru... err ... Nottel. There is your answer. I hope you will find it soon.

SUj2akk.jpg
But Master Rakorium, I wanted to know where I can find that plant around here.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Ohh! Err ... yes, well, I don't kn... um ... there's no time for that now. Although ... if you know where to look it will presumably take less time. Nottel, where can we find mandrake?

7AiHrOd.jpg
"Mandrake thrives especially well in blood-soaked ground, under dead trees and in earth that is permeated with magic." Hmm, that's all the book has. Unfortunately, that description applies to a lot of places in this swamp. But the description would likely best match the area to the east, which I saw while traipsing to this place. The strangest plants were growing there, seeming to grasp crazily toward the sky ...

SUj2akk.jpg
East of here. That should be very helpful, thank you!

SUj2akk.jpg
This egg yolk ... Where would harpies be most likely to have their nests here in the moor?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Yes, well ... I have a pretty good idea about these things ... usually ... but today ... hmm ... today, everything is a little ... Harpies ... I haven't seen any at all around here yet ...

7AiHrOd.jpg
But to the south ... no, no, more in a southwesterly direction ... I saw some harpies, master! Perhaps there's also a nest there.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Excellent observation skills, Nottel! Then the search should take place to the southwest, I would say ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Where in the swamp would rock goblins dwell?

IcRVYwP.jpg
This area? Hmm ... Actually, there shouldn't be any here at all. They were brought here in ancient times, if I'm not entirely mistaken ... perhaps in a larger crypt, ruin or some other rock formation or construct? Yes, that would be shrewd, to look in a place like that ...

7AiHrOd.jpg
Be very cautious, though, with lone specimens, the smaller varieties in particular are usually very cowardly and flee at a moment's notice. Then it would behoove you to be quick with magic or bow, and target the rock goblin from a distance, otherwise it will crawl into narrow crevices, where no one can then get to it.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Uh ... good point, Nottel. With this wealth of knowledge, the ... uh, rock goblin hunt ... should be child's play, hehe.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'll be off to search for the ingredients. I'll see you soon.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
iiubZkI.jpg
I’m innocent!
Did you wanted to strangle him for that as well?

After all these painful rats. Guards that were to be evaded. And horrible underground passages. And he demands to solve things in legal way.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 22: Evil tree

Not far from Rakorium’s location is a crypt that can be opened with the necromancer’s key.

3w2sDcL.jpg

Inside the crypt is the missing deont.

TesdvAW.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Neither. I found this key after an embittered battle with the necromancer and his undead minions.

EDXHCDl.jpg
A necromancer was behind all of this evil?! And I had already feared ...

EDXHCDl.jpg
... but let's stop this. At least now I know the reason I was imprisoned, and the flood of undead will now recede.

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgive my curiosity, but what were you afraid of?

EDXHCDl.jpg
Certain burdens must be borne alone. Let's thank Boron, that a bad situation did not become even worse. Now I must hurry back to the village and see that everything is in order. I hope the losses are not all too severe.

SUj2akk.jpg
You don't need to worry about that. Bailiff Sheffler took the strongest possible measures against the undead plague. He executed everyone who seemed afflicted.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Who seemed to be afflicted?! What do you mean by that?

SUj2akk.jpg
Well, he nearly executed a lost traveler, whom he mistakenly took for undead! I was able to dissuade him from it at the last minute. However, he's everything but well-disposed towards me since then.

EDXHCDl.jpg
That fool! Who knows what else he is capable of! I must get back urgently to prevent even worse from happening!

SUj2akk.jpg
Before you go: Even though it was the necromancer who gave the order for you to be imprisoned, it was two grave robbers who carried it out. Their names are Treestone and Flint.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Treestone and Flint?! Those two were always bad apples, but that they would go that far ... Are you completely sure that it was those two?

SUj2akk.jpg
Absolutely. One of them confided in me. It seems that the necromancer threatened them with death.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Very well, I believe you. But that is not all too important right now. I'll take care of those scoundrels later. Now I have to hurry to the village.

With that out of the way, Martin can concentrate on finding the ingredients for Rakorium.

Not far from Morlinde’s crypt is a weird tree.

M561NLe.jpg

SROCVZf.jpg

The Elf Gwendala is in some trouble here. One might recall her from River of Time.

Jz9pIBv.jpg

Since this game was developed outside Wapan, the tree roots merely content themselves with pinning her down.

This sequence actually reminded me of a PC98 game I played not too long ago where some roots were less forgiving.

qMBxpgf.png

e14Shr1.jpg

uhfL43v.jpg
Please rescue me! The roots of this tree have entwined themselves around me like iron bands. Nothing I've tried to free myself seems to work. You will have to weaken the tree so it can't hold me any more.

SUj2akk.jpg
Why can't I free you simply by cutting through the roots?

uhfL43v.jpg
The roots respond immediately to any move I make. If you attack it directly, they might crush me before you have released me. But if you attack the tree itself, it might be distracted enough to let go of me.

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright then. It’s worth an attempt.

a1WPOv7.jpg

The “evil tree” has a lot of HP but most annoying is that it summons endless waves of dragonflies whose poison is not trivial.

jeuM06l.jpg

There are also some dragon plants scattered about that can be ignored.

vL922eu.jpg

It takes a while but eventually the tree buckles down.

wDWOXID.jpg

Of course, the problem is not so “easily” solved.

5tgvD6Z.jpg

uhfL43v.jpg
That's the reason you should know a few things beforehand. Even though my destiny cannot be fulfilled because of my imprudence, fate has given me a reason to hope again through you.

uhfL43v.jpg
It all began a few moons ago, when a messenger from a friendly tribe came to our ancestral seat with a bundle. When our tribal elder opened it, he discovered it was nothing less than the soul instrument of one of my ancestors.

uhfL43v.jpg
For three sun turns he studied the flute, which had been covered all over with decorative patterns by its owner. It contained echoes of suffering and incompletion, and it became clear that the spirit of my ancestor was in distress. The sounds told tales of war, destroyed forests and of his lost soul instrument.

uhfL43v.jpg
In the course of the last night in which he played the flute in order to discover which melody would end the suffering of my ancestor, he saw my face before him and a figure in the shadows. He assumed that the figure could very well be an adversary. I'm convinced that you are that figure. A messenger of my fate.

uhfL43v.jpg
If my surmise is correct, you will find the spirit of my ancestor down there. Take his flute down there with you as a sign of reconciliation. It is essential that you soothe his soul and pacify him, so that he may be released from the eternal curse of darkness and find his way to eternal peace within the source of all being.

uhfL43v.jpg
His flute is here in this bag. Please, take it.

SUj2akk.jpg
Won't you first reveal to me how you came to be in this unfortunate situation to begin with?

uhfL43v.jpg
I don't want to be discourteous, but at the moment I'm more interested in reversing the consequences of my thoughtlessness. Pluck up your courage anew and investigate the tree hollow.

It is now possible to enter a cave underneath the tree.

3gd5tTr.jpg

Gwendala’s ancestor is floating around the place.

8Qm0MuK.jpg

hMQeCX4.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Oh Elf Spirit, please accept this, your soul instrument. One of your descendants took it upon herself to bring it to you, so that you may become one again.

nitqTky.jpg
I ... those wonderful sounds, the ancient song of my soul. I long believed it forgotten. Let me play it again one last time. Please, hand me my iama.

It is possible to keep the iama – a useful magical artifact – with some persuade checks.

B3uspgi.jpg

nitqTky.jpg
[Success] There is a great deal of wisdom in your words. Yet name me a compelling reason that echoes in my soul, why my flute should not accompany me into the light.

SUj2akk.jpg
[Persuade] Would it not be a worthy commemoration of you, if it continued to play your songs, as an example and a comfort to others?

nitqTky.jpg
[Success] Such poetic truthfulness is rare indeed, among you rose-ears ... I now understand all with radiant clarity. My flute shall continue to carry my songs out into the existing world. So that others may learn from them.

nitqTky.jpg
You have delivered me from the badoc. All the familiar songs that had long faded away are a part of me once again. May you never be blinded by the light.

sfYesWH.jpg

The actual remains of the ancestor are very easy to miss; they contain some useful items.

pkz2Jdd.jpg

w6IhCxI.jpg

Items that boots charisma are p. useful for mages.

LxfP6c9.jpg

Outside, Gwendala is now free; she is added to the party (normally Martin would only be able to have three party members but I haXX0red the game).

Fbnmn53.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. He was there. I was able to soothe his anger with my words. He set out on his last journey and left his flute behind.

EDJ8KDP.jpg
You have accomplished a great deed. Honor his flute, for leaving it behind was a generous gesture on his part. I would like to join you as a sign of my gratitude.

SUj2akk.jpg
Won't you first reveal to me how you came to be in this unfortunate situation to begin with?

EDJ8KDP.jpg
I simply was not paying attention, because I was too concentrated on my efforts to help my ancestor. If it hadn't been for you, I would probably not be standing here now.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me anything I should know about Moorbridge's environs?

EDJ8KDP.jpg
My knowledge of this area is not very good, as I drifted here from far away. But because of my research, I do know a thing or two I can say about the origins of the swamps. If it can help you, I would be happy to share my knowledge with you.

EDJ8KDP.jpg
As far as I have been able to find out, the Moorbridge Marshes are a phenomenon. The area was once known as Ferngrove, and was filled with villages, meadows and agricultural land. Yet during the Magic Wars four hundred years ago, the region was transformed into a desolate swamp as a result of bitter conflicts between magicians. The villages either sank or were abandoned, and those killed in the magical battle became undead or wandering spirits. Those they kill join them in their undeath.

At any rate, Gwendala has great ranger skills and is a good spellcaster. However, initially she is very frail physically.

iJ8Tvj9.jpg

wvtdCqa.jpg

It seems fitting to equip Gwendala with her ancestor’s gear.

qYPgc2u.jpg

The mandrake Martin was looking for is not far away.

mWmADVH.jpg

R54R17Y.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 23: Thalya

Returning to the village, Bailiff Dumbfuck springs an ambush.

x2WDSvT.jpg

zets54c.jpg

qjsHdJ2.jpg

Unfortunately for him, Morlinde is around.

TDsc4mb.jpg

UJibQen.jpg
Good old Morlinde! So you found your own way back to us! We were ever so worried about you. I was just about to send a search party out to look for you.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Bailiff Sheffler! I've never seen you so concerned for someone! Have you really mellowed with the years? Or have I thwarted another of your transparent schemes?

UJibQen.jpg
Hahaha! Your sense of humor is simply divine! What makes you think such terrible things? I...

EDXHCDl.jpg
My good bailiff! You're scarily transparent to anyone with half a brain. We'll talk about it later. Now go about your duties! And the same goes for you, good citizens of Moorbridge!

UJibQen.jpg
You heard what our Deont said! The rescue party is no longer needed. Now clear off!

Well, kinda disappoint we didn’t get to kill him.

CNsJ6lS.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
How will you handle the matter with the bailiff? Do you need my assistance?

EDXHCDl.jpg
I can deal with our good bailiff quite well on my own. He wouldn't ever dare do anything against me. However, my offer still stands. If you come to see me in my temple, I'll reward you for rescuing me.

At any rate, Morline offers a sidequest of her own.

GVLNdOT.jpg

k4eq4z4.jpg

WFpdr29.jpg

EDXHCDl.jpg
Forgive me for disturbing you once again. You could do me one more favor before you leave Moorbridge. Naturally, only if you agree.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'll be happy to listen to your proposal. What does it involve?

EDXHCDl.jpg
It's about the devastation that the undead have wrought recently. The necromancer released a great deal of evil power and many burial places have now been affected by it. It would require someone to purify these places with the aid of holy water, so that the dead may rest in peace once more.

SUj2akk.jpg
And how exactly does such a cleansing take place?

EDXHCDl.jpg
There are altar niches in many of these tombs. They must be sprinkled with holy water so that they will be able to receive Boron's blessing again. Before that can happen, however, the evil power in those buried there will manifest itself, in order to prevent you from carrying out the cleansing. So be prepared for further battles with undead.

SUj2akk.jpg
I understand. First defeat the dead who are possessed by darkness, in order to break the power of evil over the altar with the help of Boron's blessing.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Just so. I'll mark the crypts' location on your map, so that you can release truly all of them from evil.

SUj2akk.jpg
You can count on me, Deont Morlinde. Now all I require is the holy water.

EDXHCDl.jpg
Here, please take two vials. It would be best if you got started as soon as possible. Boron be with you.

More importantly, we can now continue Thalya’s quest. She’ll join for a short while.

nWbaSnF.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I think I'll help you. So the agreement stands then. Show me where the crypt at issue is, and I'll escort you there.

TZAZVjo.jpg
Very gladly. *Cough* Let's not tarry here any longer.

Thalya’s crypt is among the ones that need to be cleansed. But only she can open this one.

ZaRjNEw.jpg

It’s actually possible to clean the other crypts out along with Thalya, but she’s very weak in combat and cannot be directly controlled as a temporary party member.

Xvz316V.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. Let's get to the bottom of the curse.

TZAZVjo.jpg
Alright, but be careful. Who knows what we should expect behind the door after all these years.

Thalya opens the door but inside there’s kind of a surprise.

Kd8Io7y.jpg

ndVtwgO.jpg

gD9WFvM.jpg

9jclP44.jpg

It’s the same Farfara from River of Time; now in undead form.

77uv5t7.jpg

fi3jcid.jpg

TZAZVjo.jpg
Ailric?! He ... he's ... still alive? Oh no! That's impossible!

KDQbj3X.jpg

WIAhBI1.jpg
Did my precious pearl really find her way back after all these years?

TZAZVjo.jpg
You ... recognize me? But what's happened to you?

WIAhBI1.jpg
Let me think. Where best to start? Oh, I know!

wUrCKUA.jpg

Yx687xe.jpg

TZAZVjo.jpg
I panicked, I was just trying to save my own life.

WIAhBI1.jpg
Hahaha! Your life?! I had no idea you dragged yours around with you in a linen sack.

WIAhBI1.jpg
Or wait!

WIAhBI1.jpg
Was our joint booty even in there, perchance, which we planned to share along with the dangers that would cross our path on the way to it?

TZAZVjo.jpg
I ... yes, should your death have been in vain, then?

TZAZVjo.jpg
But the necklace from the hoard turned out to be cursed! I paid for my actions. And anyway, you would have done exactly the same thing!

WIAhBI1.jpg
It's an interesting question, one that I have had plenty of time to think about. Perhaps I would have done exactly the same, but be that as it may: The past is the past.

WIAhBI1.jpg
As long as we are being so frank about the error of our ways: The curse that is upon you was carried out into the world on my dying breath. Who'd have thought that it would fall onto such ... fertile ground here?

WIAhBI1.jpg
And the most delicious part is: Only I can dispel it. But I leave the choice to you. Either you keep me company down here until the end of your days, or you hold to your end of our bargain and give me my share of the loot.

TZAZVjo.jpg
Spend the rest of my life in this smelly hole with you or give you your share?! What kind of choice is that supposed to be?

TZAZVjo.jpg
If you're behind this curse, you'll know very well that I have no means of ever paying you off!

WIAhBI1.jpg
Besides, no choice is all that you should be entitled to ... actually.

WIAhBI1.jpg
However, you were clever enough not to come here alone. So the possibility of being aided by your uncursed escort remains.

It’s up to Martin to sort things out.

Tl88g4h.jpg

WIAhBI1.jpg
Only 27 ducats. I think that should be possible for someone like you. Even though more would have been better, I was always an honest rogue.

Martin pays immediately, but it’s possible to stall; Farfara and Thalya have some funny dialogue.

SUj2akk.jpg
27 ducats? I even have that much with me, and I am also willing to give them to you. Here, take them!

WIAhBI1.jpg
Ahh, at long last! I'll sweeten my sojourn in Boron's kingdom with the gold.

7dCbeVc.jpg

3L1hvnW.jpg

h9wwhsY.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Just a moment! And if that has vanished as well? Who will give me a guarantee that you won't simply take off again?

TZAZVjo.jpg
There are no grounds for concern, I won't trick you. Please take the rest of the equipment that belonged to my former comrade as a deposit. It isn't much, but Ailric's rapier was his pride and joy. That alone is worth a fortune.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hmm ... actually a pleasant thought. So Ailric's blade will be brandished in new adventures. Besides, a robbed thief also represents a certain type of justice.

I think Thalya was originally meant to be a companion (this quest reeks of it) but ultimately was cut.

At any rate, Martin’s business with Thalya is not yet concluded.

AoVNqVS.jpg

In River of Time Farfara’s rapier was only in the party’s possession for a very short while, now we get to keep it.

It’s the best fencing weapon in the game, obtained very early.

nO5G4g5.jpg

Before leaving the crypt, Martin performs the Boron ritual to cleanse the crypt.

KTjAj4G.jpg

XLW3TN5.jpg

In one of the graves can also be found a better spear for Rhulana.

4aKqGB3.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 24: Cryptrat

Back outside the crypt, there’s an ambush by harpies. These are annoying to fight because they have attacks than can cause wounds.

HtcP0Kn.jpg

Elsewhere are giant frogs, and roaming undead.

1UXe4yb.jpg

yPGOyzL.jpg

In one of the crypts lurks a rock goblin, needed for one of Rakorium’s ingredients.

232nnQf.jpg

The rock goblin hides in a barrel and needs to be flushed out.

yxki7UH.jpg

IlXy9i4.jpg

F2WrF02.jpg

Above another crypts can be find a harpy nest with egg.

5vadLAK.jpg

mjAtAm1.jpg

d6CadYM.jpg

y5MRRxH.jpg

The crypts are crawling with undead; these fights are all horribly boring.

o0uFhzu.jpg

kz9ETdo.jpg

c9myxCs.jpg

q9mWgJQ.jpg

Eventually, Martin gets the job done.

HDIkBTi.jpg

Returning to the tavern to meet Thalya… of course she’s not around.

otknlZx.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
That little ... Alright, I'll follow her!

Thalya is indeed waiting next to the mill.

MF8dcFs.jpg

rFhJLnO.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
So, you rob the next innkeeper and hand me the unclean gold and an empty strongbox? Why would I accept a thief's loot, when I already have returned the first batch of ill-gotten gains to its rightful owner?

TZAZVjo.jpg
Why do you have to be so honest? How were you able to pull that off? *Sigh* Very well, when I have collected enough money, I'll come looking for you. If Martin Schulz is your real name and you have a place to live in Ferdok or a place we can meet, then tell me and you'll see that I'll not stay in your debt for long.

SUj2akk.jpg
Martin Schulz is my real name, and I Iive in the house directly opposite the Praios Temple in Ferdok. You can't miss it.

TZAZVjo.jpg
I'll stop by there. Only I couldn't say when that will be. You have left a very good impression on me, for a man. One more reason not to take advantage of you. Farewell!

SUj2akk.jpg
It's nice to hear a compliment like that. Farewell.

This is the last we’ll be seeing of Thalya, unfortunately. Wouldn’t she be a better party member than Dranor?

8UIa8uC.jpg

Martin can choose not to return the money to Pebblebeer, but it’s actually more beneficial to be honest.

jULxuhR.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I was able to catch her and retrieve the stolen goods, as well. But I let her go because you were only interested in the money.

K262IYy.jpg
You have the money? Wonderful! May that thief disappear into a hole in the ground and rot there!

SUj2akk.jpg
Here. I hope it’s all there.

K262IYy.jpg
Let me see. Yes, it seems to be ... Well, a small amount is missing. But only very little. I can recoup the lost within a moon. I certainly won't complain. Thank you very much!

SUj2akk.jpg
Not at all, my good man.

K262IYy.jpg
But now to your reward: I found a piece of jewelry while looking for clues in the thief's room. A gold necklace, to be exact. It was lying behind the bed, as if this Thalya had lost it in her haste. Presumably it's another bit of loot.

SUj2akk.jpg
A gold necklace?! Phex' ways are truly mysterious.

K262IYy.jpg
Please take the necklace and another 3 ... no 3 1/2 ducats for your trouble. Not that I want to be tightfisted, but the damage I suffered at the hands of the thief was not inconsiderable. Maybe the jewelry is worth a small fortune, and you have gotten a good deal out of it.

SUj2akk.jpg
Many thanks for everything! But now I'll take my leave.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 25: Lizardman

Last thing to care of in Moorbridge is dealing with Rakorium’s nonsense.

Ey0HYrn.jpg

iLYoO1w.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I have all the ingredients now! A harpy's egg yolk, a rock goblin's teeth and a freshly picked mandrake.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Busy, busy. Let me see. Teeth ... how sweet! The little beast didn't even have stone rot ... The yolk of a harpy's egg ... mmhmm, slimy, smooth and, uh, warm to the touch. I couldn't have asked ... for a better quality! And then a ... hee hee, garden-fresh mandrake ... I think ... I think ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Is something wrong?

IcRVYwP.jpg
No, no. Perfect. Everything I need is within reach. Then we'll start with the spell now.

iCx4d7M.jpg

eStuhJs.jpg

LKlxWSb.jpg

Rakorium retrieves the jewel but also revives the lizard in the process.

Zyn1cRK.jpg

7yxshrN.jpg

yEitk58.jpg

1SUWeVA.jpg

S8Or0Gn.jpg

F1CPbHT.jpg

HfWXY2v.jpg

It’s six on one, so the lizard isn’t very dangerous in the end.

C5zr2f6.jpg

jsvw8kI.jpg

A piece of armour spawns out of nowhere when the lizard is dead.

OoyWXgF.jpg

BY8XS1x.jpg

IcRVYwP.jpg
Oh, yes, the statue ... was ... err ... obviously we made the vitriol especially potent ... by the powers that be. But as I see, you handled the scare with bravura ... yes, you mastered it splendidly.

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. Thank the Oracle that it sent me to you. I'm really glad that I could at least rescue you and your acolyte Nottel.

7AiHrOd.jpg
How, what ... we are still alive? And it's all over? Hesinde be praised. I owe you my life!

IcRVYwP.jpg
Nottel is back to his old self again ... And I have Valonion's Thesis Crystal! My colleagues won't laugh at me now! Thanks to you! We shall return to Ferdok to study the crystal ... Perhaps we will see each other there again sometime ... I will have much to tell you then. Just think of what we can learn from this crystal ... may Hesinde preserve my sanity! The ancient lore of the dragons, their souls will ... oh, excuse me ... I'm getting carried away again ...

IcRVYwP.jpg
Well, we've tarried here long enough Nottel. And we have plenty to do. It's off to Ferdok we go!

Rakorium teleports away; it’s annoying this spell is not available to Martin.

pD6JQh9.jpg

The greaves the lizard dropped can only be worn by Martin.

pnvMzqi.jpg

On the lizard’s corpse is also a unique staff.

xfvGuPT.jpg

L92WIPu.jpg

It is time to leave Moorbridge for good; funnily enough on the way back the party encounters the exact same group of boars and ogre.

EQ3c01C.jpg

1AU9TI9.jpg

Pocc7NL.jpg

NT0uJrF.jpg

XMrlK8Y.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 26: Return to Ferdok

The party gained a lot of experience points after finishing Moorbridge, so now it’s time for some training.

DiNHDfQ.jpg

H3cWtZh.jpg

2Q655g2.jpg

ZLgiOhc.jpg

RB5DEZV.jpg

iPtUAl2.jpg

f31CPTN.jpg

USptQdw.jpg

oA47X91.jpg

KCL3YUM.jpg

DAWcf0B.jpg

With Gwendala in tow, the bear quest can finally be finished.

j0U8BlJ.jpg

It takes 12 Animal lore to pacify the bear, otherwise Gwendala would use her Meek you be spell.

6txPpod.jpg

cId0KNi.jpg

Martin reports back to the Temple of Hesinde to start the second of the three trials.

hD09ymG.jpg

ZNvETKX.jpg

Q9LJtK9.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I am ready. Let us begin.

AbudYbn.jpg

FnoScth.jpg

P0dsLD2.jpg

S3LdhpI.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
This riddle of the Oracle. Could you help me to interpret it?

oTZHW8l.jpg
The Oracle spoke of secrets stolen from the serpent mistress. In my opinion, "the serpent mistress", can only mean Hesinde herself.

oTZHW8l.jpg
What knowledge that might be, I do not know. "Where the mountain's face was once colored bloody red"... hmm... I can only think of a place in Kosh: The fortress in the Blood Mountains.

oTZHW8l.jpg
It is in a mountainous region of the Dark Forest. It gets its name from the many bloody battles for the mountains on which it was built. Ironically, the area seems to deserve its name once again, thanks to the recent Sun Crusade.

SUj2akk.jpg
What Sun Crusade do you mean, Venerable Dorion?

oTZHW8l.jpg
Haven't you heard? Grand Inquisitor da Vanya has led all the Praiots he could find to do battle in the Blood Mountains area of the Dark Forest. Apparently the latest Sun Crusade is directed against a 'perfidious' army of witches that live there.

SUj2akk.jpg
Witches?! I don't understand. Doesn't he have enough to do with chasing the cursed Kastan Gamblack?

oTZHW8l.jpg
I can't say that I understand it all either. They say the witches used black magic to force Gamblack to carry out those evil ritual murders. As Grand Inquisitor, he sees it as his duty to bring divine retribution and the light of Praios to the Dark Forest.

SUj2akk.jpg
I will have to look into the matter myself. Thank you, Venerable One.

oTZHW8l.jpg
May Hesinde increase your wisdom and help you solve the riddle of the serpent mistress' stolen secrets.

There's now a new area on the world map that can be travelled to.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 27: Sidequests

Now that a part of the main quest has finished, some petty tasks will pop up all over the city.

KVXScDL.jpg

VpWc52n.jpg

QkYCQlF.jpg

Some dumbfuck fell down his oddly built house; the solution is merely delivering a golmoon tea.

6u7NXCq.jpg

B5UGNhg.jpg

WCLGkRW.jpg

KnEKISP.jpg

At Ardo’s house, there’ll now be banners signifying Martin’s role as Dragon Quest challenger. A nice detail.

R1XDLnY.jpg

Inside Martin pays Muddlemosh 50 ducats for an alchemy workbench.

cO9QojK.jpg

The room near the kitchen is now filled; the other workbenches will be placed in the garden.

F5R3Sh7.jpg

Furthermore, Rakorium has invited himself in.

tHpXY5x.jpg

rLyLuH5.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm sorry, I don't remember inviting you to my house.

IcRVYwP.jpg
Oh, then you are not just a companion, you are also a companion in misfortune! I am most grateful for your... err, anyway I was able to... erm... save enough of my old equipment.

SUj2akk.jpg
Save? What happened?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Oh, a little mishap... heeheehee... nothing more. The kind of sacrifices one must make for science. But I don't want to... er... bother you with all that. I must get back to work. If you... erm know what I... err, mean...

SUj2akk.jpg
In that case... good luck with your research, whatever it might be.

Returning to Soapstone at the Wagoner’s home tavern to wrap up the Thalya quest there’s first a bar brawl to take care of.

Wcn6tgl.jpg

gLxiJH9.jpg

rK5BObH.jpg

tJQyCiO.jpg

It is solved by a simple Fast Talk check.

KFGBbck.jpg

4AxBknR.jpg

dqLjeq0.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You said you didn't want to be wiping up blood! And how I deal with things is my business.

bXyVQP1.jpg
Fine, fine. Here, this is on the house. Cheers!

SUj2akk.jpg
About that thing with Thalya.

bXyVQP1.jpg
Did you manage to deal with it?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, here's that jewelry case you wanted me to get back for you.

bXyVQP1.jpg
Ahh, excellent! Give it here! My case, finally...

bXyVQP1.jpg
But... the case... it's empty! Darn it, I say!

SUj2akk.jpg
You didn't say anything about the contents. You said you wanted the case and I've done what you asked. I expect the agreed payment!

bXyVQP1.jpg
You cutthroat! You don't deserve a thing! Nevertheless, no one shall say I am not a man of my word, here... Your farthings.

bXyVQP1.jpg
And that Thalya still has my gold chain, curse it! If I ever catch that sneaky rascal I'll... I'll... well I don't know what I'll do. But I'll do something, just you see!

Also in Wagoner’s home there are now some conspicuous nests around, there’s a small quest to get rid of them.

NuWGnZR.jpg

TAvI3D1.jpg

bCAO7gq.jpg

In the harbour is a ‘wealthy man’ with a problem to take care of.

Dmzqzp9.jpg

VpugKLy.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Certainly, if you tell me what you need me to do.

WZZfiQY.jpg
Most kind of you! It's like this. I left my snuff box with, ahem... 'Miss' Iriana. Would you be good enough to get it for me?

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Human nature]: There's more to this.] Why can't you just get it for yourself?

WZZfiQY.jpg
I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that. Ah.. what the hell. Ms. Iriana offers certain... umm, services... and last night I left my snuff box at her place.

WZZfiQY.jpg
The box is a valuable gift from my dear wife. I'm sure you appreciate my position. I don't want to cause a scene and I can't go there myself. Please, could you help me!

SUj2akk.jpg
Is that all? I'll go and get it for you.

Iriana is getting harassed when Martin arrives at the scene.

GQJ4UyG.jpg

zg33mCU.jpg

FvQc7g5.jpg

Forgrimm’s intimidation check fails (he has high strength but low charisma) but the schmuck can be ran off by use of arms.

mTtMWlV.jpg

tmDDKWG.jpg

A thankful Iriana hands over the box; however on the way back the wealthy man’s wife is around leading to some hilarity.

C1nBZFl.jpg

yiadDua.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Here's the snuff box. With best wishes to 'Sweety Pie'!

Y0KXHp5.jpg

WZZfiQY.jpg
Err... nothing, my dear! Just a little joke, eh!? Hehehe, I must have left it at the meeting after all.

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Fast talk] You're quite right. It was a joke from your business partners.

1dhc1Wc.jpg
[Success] I must say: Your friends make some really strange jokes. Well, I guess it's up to you who you mix with.

WZZfiQY.jpg
Many, many thanks for your help, Strange! Here, take these ducats! Farewell!

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you! Farewell!

1dhc1Wc.jpg
Praios with you!

GCJ3uaj.jpg

Finally at the South Gate there’s a guard for whom nature calls.

QYoY8wH.jpg

GuRMi7p.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What’s wrong with you?

gG8NE11.jpg
You're... Martin Schulz, aren't you? This is really embarrassing, but I really need to go and the next watch isn't here yet! I can't hold it much longer! Could you take over my watch for a moment? It'll be child's play for the person who solved all those murders. Please! I'll be really quick!

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well, I'll keep watch here while you're gone. But hurry up!

gG8NE11.jpg
Oh, thank you! I'm sure you won't have to do much! Just make sure no shady characters get into the city.

gG8NE11.jpg
Right now we're on the lookout for a deceitful conman who gets into the homes of the rich by posing as a 'craftsman'. He has a very distinctive mustache. That rogue is at the top of our list!

gG8NE11.jpg
Then there's 'The Vixen'. She has blue eyes and fiery red hair, to which she owes her nickname. Do not let her into the city under any circumstances! She's a crafty con artist!

gG8NE11.jpg
Oh, there's one other fellow, who's always starting fights in 'The Silver Pitcher'. Burly, puffed up face, big nose... *pfff* Ohhh! Can't hold it much longer! I have to... You'll be ok!

SUj2akk.jpg
Hurry up! I'll stay on guard here!

Only “The Vixen” will show up in disguise; Gladys is needed here to take care of things.

JFOTKb6.jpg

EmCkYqE.jpg
Oh really? So I'm the talk of the town, am I?

bEZxUUi.jpg
Just as I say. You have many admirers in the Guild.

EmCkYqE.jpg
Yes, well. Success has its drawbacks when you follow the path of Phex. And what do you intend to do with me?

SUj2akk.jpg
I'd advise you to disappear and keep a low profile for a while.

EmCkYqE.jpg
Hmm, you may be right. That might save me some trouble. There are other ways into the city, anyway.

EmCkYqE.jpg
I should count myself lucky I bumped into a 'deputy' guard with Phex in their heart and not some pompous town guard!

EmCkYqE.jpg
Farewell and Phex be with you!

Since Martin didn’t let anyone suspicious in, this matter is now closed as well.

zBy8ICB.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 28: Stoerrebrandt II

Martin can now do more work for the Stoerrebrandts.

puDKjpH.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Um, what kind of job?

xujHmOJ.jpg
You are to fetch a shipment from the harbor and escort it to the 'Ferdok Pale Ale' brewery. The brewery owner will pay you for the shipment and you will then bring the money to me. What do you say?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. I’ll take the job.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Here's the delivery note. Fetch the goods from our foreman at the harbor.

ooqsU33.jpg

GjQtiN8.jpg

zkYc8SY.jpg

It’s an easy fetch quest, but there’s an attack by Dark Eye thugs on the way to the brewery.

0Kl87hJ.jpg

HguMvAB.jpg

wKeNyw4.jpg

nBZuRpf.jpg

Reporting back to Dykemiller, Martin can immediately take up more work.

ZF9jjsT.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you. By the way, you should know that a couple of footpads wanted to steal the goods from me.

xujHmOJ.jpg
What?! Damn it! I'm sure the House of Neisbeck is behind this! Who else would be so brazen?! Those conniving scoundrels! Emmeran Stoerrebrandt will definitely not be happy to hear this news. Very well, you'd best come back again later.

OH01W9W.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes. I'll go to the toll house now and make my report to the Head Guardsman.

It’s not much fun to interact with that lying crook.

CRiKPFm.jpg

SLrYhoh.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Forgive me, Head Guardsman. I need to speak with you.

gPX3cgh.jpg
I noticed that! Get to the point or get lost!

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm here in the name of the House of Stoerrebrandt to report a robbery. One of our goods shipments has been ambushed and robbed.

gPX3cgh.jpg
Ambushes, swindlers, bill dodgers... what am I supposed to deal with next?! I don't have the time nor the men to deal with such trivial matters! We've had to deal with all these murders lately, you should know that.

gPX3cgh.jpg
Now there's all this customs work! Your precious 'Mr' Stoerrebrandt is swamping poor little Ferdok with goods that all need to be processed. I'll be retired before we manage to deal with every little thing.

There’s a very difficult Fast Talk check here and it fails. After some more Haggle checks Martin needs to cough up 30 ducats which is ridiculous. Though depending on the level of Haggle one might even be forced to pay 60 ducats.

m3Ut9si.jpg

gPX3cgh.jpg
[Failure] I know what my duties are! Who do you think you are?! First you flood my district with goods and then you complain when the already-undermanned town guard can't do everything at once! These Stoerrebrandts really think they're something special! Go complain to your boss, not me!

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Haggle] What if I passed a farthing or two your way? For your trouble, of course. This matter really is very important to the House of Stoerrebrandt.

gPX3cgh.jpg
[Success] Well, for a small consideration, let's say... 30 ducats, I could re-prioritize my duties a little.

SUj2akk.jpg
Good, here’s the 30 ducats.

gPX3cgh.jpg
I may well have heard something... The more I think of it, the more I reckon I know who's behind this ambush. Follow me. We'll go pick up a couple of suspects.

Tashman leads Martin to a couple of drunks and picks a fight. Not suspicious at all.

ypYpIzn.jpg

uCYfwp4.jpg

UgSgAPh.jpg

gPX3cgh.jpg
What do you mean by speaking to a head guardsman of the Ferdok Guard in such a way! Miserable scum!

g9KtyiI.jpg

Martin is basically used to settle a personal score.

Mi4Za22.jpg

6tbIDb2.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you sure it was them?

gPX3cgh.jpg
Of course it was those two! Why else would they attack me? It all makes sense. You can trust the word of a head guardsman! That pretty much clears up the report, too.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hm. That's fine. But what about these two? Shouldn't we report their deaths to the town guard?

gPX3cgh.jpg
Not necessarily. I'll take care of the paperwork later. I'll stay here first and make sure they're moved. We can't just leave them laying here. Don't worry about it. This is town guard work. You may go.

Martin reports his misgivings to Dykemiller

9qknYwn.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
No. Well, perhaps. I don't really know...

xujHmOJ.jpg
Well don't beat about the bush. What's giving you such a headache?

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well. It was like this. The head guardsman suspected two scoundrels of instigating the ambush on our shipment for the brewery. I was there when he tried to arrest them. Things quickly came to blows and the scoundrels were both slain.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Why are you so bothered about that? You should be pleased that the head guardsman was able to find those rogues so quickly!

SUj2akk.jpg
I wouldn't be so sure. I had the feeling that everything went a little too quickly. Let's just say that there was something fishy about the whole thing. Those rogues were talking as if they had known the head guardsman for some time.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Of course they already knew him! He's probably had to warn them more than once before. In any case, I'm happy the issue has been cleared up!

The final task for now is an escort quest.

ixJe6eZ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I understand. The House of Neisbeck will not be pleased to hear that. What role do I play in this?

xujHmOJ.jpg
Your task would be to escort our negotiator to a secret meeting with the brewery owner and to protect him while the contract is being signed. Then accompany him back here. Nothing must be allowed to happen to him!

SUj2akk.jpg
This sounds like a very tricky assignment. I hope it is rewarded accordingly.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Hah, always business on your mind, eh? I like that! But yes, the payment will be more for this job than the last one. Let me know when you are ready to take the job and I'll fetch the negotiator.

SUj2akk.jpg
You can send for him now. I'm ready.

JddrfU0.jpg

Y3tY0gW.jpg

Go9sIQd.jpg

JlgegUe.jpg

There’s another attack by Dark Eye at the brewery, but they go down rather quickly.

JpR6zMJ.jpg

YLlz2Mj.jpg

There are no more incidents on the way back, that’s the end for Stoerrebrandt sidequest for now.

Jm9upCo.jpg

pWbHH3M.jpg

Martin can now return to the main quest.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 29: Blood Mountains

On the way to Blood Mountains there are no random encounters for a change.

VscFkkc.jpg

0BYCFlU.jpg

KgB3Nww.jpg

Access to the castle is of course blocked; a lot of hoops will need to be jumped through before gaining access.

nihmCh8.jpg

r742wpr.jpg

A pig herder is around to offer some assistance.

yQ3ECcf.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
No-one? Do you mean I won't get into the ruins either?

9HYMnN4.jpg
And what does someone like you hope to find there? Hmm?

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm looking for an ancient book. It's said to have resurfaced in the ruins recently.

9HYMnN4.jpg
We Sisters of Satuaria weren't the only ones to notice that there's something strange going on in the ruins. Listen, I'm a witch of the Dark Forest. Perhaps we can help you get into the ruins. But if we scratch your back, you'll have to scratch ours ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright, what do you want?

9HYMnN4.jpg
The Inquisition's intrusion into the Dark Forest shall not go unpunished. The Praiots have set up a camp. Bring me the sacramental wine from it, so that I can put a curse on it. You'll probably find the wine in a reliquary.

Remember those judgmental pricks who kicked Martin out of the Ferdok library? It’s time to get even.

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright, you'll get the sacramental wine. Assuming all goes well ...

9HYMnN4.jpg
You'll find me here once you've got it.

SUj2akk.jpg
Why do you herd pigs when you're a witch with magic powers?

9HYMnN4.jpg
You don't know much about witches, do you? Witches often conceal their true nature from those around them and pursue a conventional career as a baker, maid or hunter. I make a good living as a swineherd.

SUj2akk.jpg
What is there to tell about the Dark Forest?

9HYMnN4.jpg
Apart from the Blood Mountain Ruins, there's also Darkforest Manor nearby. I take the pigs from the estate to fatten up on acorns and I enjoy a chat with Morla the Weaver, who shares my beliefs. Travelers should watch out for wolves and Giant Fireflies. The forest is also the stomping ground of Humbert and his robbers, but there's no need to fear him here: he only ambushes people on the road to Ferdok. He also makes good schnapps.

SUj2akk.jpg
What about the Inquisition?

9HYMnN4.jpg
Pig-headed religious sycophants who want to toss all those of different faiths on the bonfire! Any witch with any sense would hide from them. You'll find the Praiots in camps or wandering through the forest.

SUj2akk.jpg
What are witches?

9HYMnN4.jpg
Nosey, aren't we! We Daughters of Satuaria live for the magic of emotions, passions and nature. Every witch belongs to a local coven that meets for wild and witchy celebrations in the glow of the firelight. Dusty bookshops and musty robes are only for narrow-minded guild mages.

SUj2akk.jpg
See you soon.

MGQOYQO.jpg

Not much further along the road there’s an ambush by two rival groups of bandits.

mu6I3HP.jpg

Vhs2yRj.jpg

tonN3nI.jpg

sN4xeCg.jpg

1qzT1Dd.jpg

gStCRhV.jpg

Martin opts to just kill them all.

0R48Pr3.jpg

DUB4lK7.jpg

rgozgbS.jpg

The Inquisition camp is not too far along the road but it is not so easy to gain entrance.

VfDCgn6.jpg

2TVYIKQ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm traveling and would like to replenish my supplies.

XaFPuq5.jpg
Oh, it's you. In that case, keep going until you reach the estate. Just keep following the road to the east. This here is a military camp, not a fair. Access is restricted to members of the Sun Crusade. If, of course, you were prepared to be of service to me, the matter would appear in quite a different light ...

SUj2akk.jpg
In what capacity?

XaFPuq5.jpg
A witch by the heathenish name of Yasmin is said to have disguised herself as a swineherd and wanders the woods west of here. Execute her in the name of Praios and bring me her talisman as proof. Once you have proved your virtue in this manner, greater deeds will await you.

The only way to gain access to the camp is to seemingly agree to do their bidding.

SUj2akk.jpg
I've considered it. I want to fight on the side of the Sun Crusade and rid the land of Yasmin the witch.

XaFPuq5.jpg
As it should be. I'll mark Yasmin's whereabouts on this map. Return here once her foul life is over. And be welcome in camp: Stock up on provisions and equipment from the quartermaster.

de2C60O.jpg

The Grand Inquisitor is around here but it’s not possible to talk to him.

EqPM2iO.jpg

AA0sZeW.jpg

Gladys can gain access to where the wine is with a Seduce check (one of the very few in the game).

gwlxtXO.jpg

9vItflL.jpg

5OjYxsR.jpg

Of course, returning the wine to Yasmin means burning bridges with the Inquisition.

zb834IT.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Good woman, I present to you: the sacramental wine. Just don't ask how I got it.

9HYMnN4.jpg
Satuaria is with you, that will be a rude awakening for the sun worshippers. Listen, if you really want the witches of the Dark Forest to get you past the magic barrier, you should do each one of them a favor. It will be worth it!

9HYMnN4.jpg
Go and find my sisters: Saphira is also a well-known herbalist in the depths of the Forest. Morla, the maid at the Manor, is one of us. And of course, there's Alvina, who wanders the woods. It shouldn't be difficult to find my sisters; I've marked their whereabouts on your map. Before you go, though, there are still a couple of things I need to discuss with you.

SUj2akk.jpg
What are they?

9HYMnN4.jpg
First: On your way through the forest, don't just slaughter everything that crosses your path indiscriminately. You are a friend of the witches. Some of the forest creatures will sense that and leave you alone. Not all, mind you, just some.

SUj2akk.jpg
Good, I’ll bear that in mind. What else?

9HYMnN4.jpg
Second: In the forest are some old trees that are sacred to our sisterhood. The sun worshippers are condemning these witch trees as the work of the devil and want to destroy them where they stand. If you come across sun worshippers looking to fell one of these trees, you must chase them away.

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm impressed that you can count to two. I'll see what I can do about the trees.

9HYMnN4.jpg
Once you've saved all the witch trees from the Inquisition's axes, come and find me again. I'll be waiting over there, behind the bridge.

As soon as Yasmin has gone the Inquisition springs an ambush; they’re now officially an enemy and will attack on sight.

SgAJsmI.jpg

NoBoPC6.jpg

Iax0INo.jpg

KdDC0PL.jpg

At any rate, on Warina’s corpse is a bec de corbin, a new weapon for Forgrimm.

wftErCK.jpg

PGFW9qn.jpg

qmaeTYg.jpg

The witch tree quest sounded urgent so Martin takes care of this first.

pRgqS9s.jpg

JX8eKmT.jpg

The trees will actually defend themselves magically from the tree cutters so there’s not really a need to fear running out of time.

8SZS64w.jpg

ifIoi06.jpg

Olu6ZEG.jpg

weEOXPQ.jpg

The third and final tree is at the northern tip of the map past a small Inquisition camp.

hKAoNAw.jpg

KKNdSxd.jpg

Unlike River of Time there are no teleport points anywhere so this means a lot of legwork. And while you’re hiking enemies tend to respawn.

OdVaVoF.jpg

With this matter taken care of, Martin can seek out the other witches.

lDhuRMf.jpg

b9Yz4mK.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The witch trees are safe! No sun worshippers will dare go near them now.

9HYMnN4.jpg
We will always remember you as a friend of the witches. Take this warhammer as a token of my gratitude. I borrowed it from the Praiots' camp - looks like a pretty expensive article.

SUj2akk.jpg
Tell me, why do you witches need my help? You seem to be managing pretty well on your own if you can steal things from the Praiots' camp unnoticed.

9HYMnN4.jpg
Don't be impertinent! I borrowed it for you, after all. And of course we witches can take good care of ourselves, but sometimes deviousness alone will take you only so far; certain situations require someone to do the rough work. Someone like you. And you seem to have held your ground pretty well until now.

The warhammer seems to have belonged to Warina… which may explain why she wanted Yasmin dead.

9dtgvjQ.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 30: Just feminist things

Martin goes to meet remaining witches. Alvina is in the middle of the forest near a loggers’ camp.

RtgOPlL.jpg

cJzGLhQ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
But, but - it sounds as though you mean a specific man. Can I help you?

JHLi8um.jpg
Ratbite and spider venom! That manure-mittened Danos really did sleep with that barnyard cow Firniane! And I caught them at it, too!

SUj2akk.jpg
He walked out on a beauty like you? What does Firniane have that you don't?

JHLi8um.jpg
He might also turn into a toadstool: The cowardly idiot couldn't bear the fact that I, as a Daughter of Satuaria, have a will of my own. So he ran to that stupid little lamb, who anticipates his every wish.

SUj2akk.jpg
You said you were a Daughter of Satuaria. Are you Alvina, the witch?

JHLi8um.jpg
Why do you want to know that? But yes, I'm Alvina - and I'm not letting you go again so quickly.

SUj2akk.jpg
Your good friend Yasmin sent me. She said I could help you.

JHLi8um.jpg
By all the demons of vengeance, you really have appeared at exactly the right moment! Could you take this bracelet to a good friend of mine?

SUj2akk.jpg
What's the bracelet got to do with it?

JHLi8um.jpg
Be very careful with that bracelet, it's cursed. But it's not meant for you - it's for Danos, that foul, stinking troll!

SUj2akk.jpg
Where there's a witch, there's witchcraft. Don't worry, Alvina. You'll have your revenge.

JHLi8um.jpg
Fantastic! Let's find out if that cow still wants to kiss him when all he can say is "croak" and "ribbit", heeheehee!

SUj2akk.jpg
That'll be fun! Where will I find Danos?

JHLi8um.jpg
That faithless rat lives near Darkforest Manor. The good-for-nothing is probably sitting on a tree stump somewhere, dreaming of being caressed by that corn dolly Firniane. Hurry - I want my satisfaction!

Gladys can pickpocket a diary from Alvina that reveals her butthurt.

LGXtYK3.jpg

DqD4LW9.jpg

Across a bridge, the witch Saphira is in a treehouse.

i6JbOWk.jpg

hutfjre.jpg

Saphira herself is some kind of GILF.

93iTNFi.jpg

NgO4Mbb.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I want to prove that I'm worthy of your trust. You witches must help me to overcome the magical barrier into the ruins.

lFDF8v3.jpg
So it's trust you want? There is actually something you can do for me: I lent my cooking pot to the cook at Darkforest Manor. But the fool let the sun worshippers confiscate it, and they took it to one of their camps. Bring the pot back to me!

SUj2akk.jpg
That shouldn't be too difficult.

The camp is just to the north; sneaking is not even necessary, with one guard it’s possible to just run in and out at the right time.

BjGaFbA.jpg

x3IYyAP.jpg

AGeb9Cr.jpg

Luckily Saphira is waiting not too far away on the way back.

JC0QmxZ.jpg

m9ePVWk.jpg

lFDF8v3.jpg
There's something else you could do for me. I can't offer you much for completing this task, but there would certainly be a potion or two in it for you. Are you interested?

SUj2akk.jpg
That depends. First I'd like to know exactly what you want from me.

lFDF8v3.jpg
This pot is one of my treasured possessions and I lent it to the cook - on the condition that I'd soon get it back. But that fool abused my trust and allowed the pot to fall into the hands of the Praiots. It's time to teach that old curmudgeon a lesson.

lFDF8v3.jpg
He's been nagging me for weeks about an extremely rare spice he needs for a banquet. And now he's going to get it. It, and a bit more, hehe. This bag contains the spice, plus a tiny quantity of powdered mushrooms that cause hallucinations and nausea an hour after ingestion. That should teach him not to be so careless with a witch's property, hehe.

SUj2akk.jpg
It's a harsh punishment, but not an unfair one, I feel. Alright, I'll accept the task.

lFDF8v3.jpg
I knew I could count on you. Take this bag of herbs and give it to the cook. But be warned - he's a grumpy, suspicious man and may not trust you right away.

In the middle of the forest is a lone woodcutter harangued by some thugs.

nFYc7wv.jpg

nExHD8z.jpg

htZ04Qm.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Ronk... wer? Who's that, then? Your daddy?

5IyQRno.jpg
Chief Ronkwer is the vilest, most brutal bandit you'll never meet! Grab the little twerp!

Apparently this event is related to a little quest.

13c03BZ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What sort of men were they?

SB26OHA.jpg
I don't know, but they didn't look like Humbert's men. They're sure to be bandits from out of town. No-one's been safe in the forest since Humbert was chased out of the ruins.

SUj2akk.jpg
Humbert? Who’s that?

SB26OHA.jpg
The local robber chief. Although he and his followers are actually more toll-collectors than robbers. They demand tolls from traders traveling through the forest and prevent other, more unscrupulous characters from gaining a foothold here. You'll find his camp north of the river.

Darkforest Manor is not far off; Morla, the last witch, is inside.

oW82hmw.jpg

Kq7EdQl.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You look so normal - not at all like a witch.

zxdRqtL.jpg
Did you think that we Daughters of Satuaria all had red hair and freckles and flew around on broomsticks all the livelong day? No - our powers are greater, but hidden.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your trust, Morla. I heard you need help with a ... problem?

zxdRqtL.jpg
My little darling - Knowall - disappeared a few days ago, probably to wait for young lady toads at his favorite pond. If you could bring that faithless toad back to me, I could put in a good word for you with the witches of the Dark Forest. But don't bring him here, take him to Alvina the huntress's camp. I'll wait for you there.

SUj2akk.jpg
A ... toad? Why would you refer to a toad as your "little darling"?

zxdRqtL.jpg
We witches have always formed lifelong soul-bonds with animals that are particularly close to us. Knowall the toad is the same type of being as I am and he symbolizes my pride in belonging to the sisterhood of witches.

SUj2akk.jpg
That sounds easy! I'll set off at once. See you soon, Morla.

Up the stairs to the kitchen is the Lord Protector; he is not involved in any quests.

fZH7DzJ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you the caretaker here?

X9brx1g.jpg
Yes, I manage the estate for the Baron. In the old days, the Barons used to rule the place themselves, from the castle, but that was a long time ago. The current Baron lives in Ferdok and hasn't been in this area for many years. All he cares about is the income from the forestry business. That's fine by me.

SUj2akk.jpg
But who protects you here, if the Baron and his soldiers never come here?

X9brx1g.jpg
This forest has developed its own peculiar power structures. The witches and robbers who live here make life difficult for strangers and ensure that the trade routes remain safe. As neither group wants to see a company of pike-bearers come through here, everyone keeps the peace.

Inside, Gladys needs to persuade the cook.

p18sGZa.jpg

H7B7UEK.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I have here a bag of spices from Saphira for you.

9aHjFjU.jpg
Really? And why has the old woman suddenly changed her mind? I've been asking her to sell me these spices for weeks, but without success. There's something going on here, isn't there?

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Fast Talk] Saphira's a witch. You know how fickle they are.

9aHjFjU.jpg
[Success] Hmm.. you're right there. And we all know you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Go on then, give me the bag.

9aHjFjU.jpg
You know, in a few days' time the Baron will be paying us one of his rare visits and I'm supposed to prepare a great banquet for it. I need the spices for the main course. The Baron won't believe his tastebuds. It'll be a right royal feast!

On the road not far outside Darkforest Manor is Danos, Alvina’s ex.

6VVuWuy.jpg

Xn9vTCU.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Are you Danos? If so, I have a present for you. From Alvina.

bh4MwEf.jpg
Arghh! Do you think I'm insane? I'm not taking any gifts from that vengeful hussy!

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Fast Talk] No, no ... you've got it all wrong. She's realized she's in the wrong and has sent you this bracelet as a gesture of reconciliation.

bh4MwEf.jpg
[Success] Really? Well, that's a different matter entirely. Let's see it.

SUj2akk.jpg
Here, take it. Nice, isn't it?

bh4MwEf.jpg
Let’s see if it suits me.

Alvina pops up as soon as Danos has morphed.

TVeRtvx.jpg

P9j06NT.jpg

9JNOwT0.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I told Danos that you'd forgiven him and wanted to give him the bracelet as a gesture of reconciliation.

JHLi8um.jpg
And he believed you? Haha, what a numbskull ... that'll teach him. He won't go breaking any more girls' hearts in a hurry. You've earned my trust, Martin Schulz. Take this owl skull as proof.

am0YqNU.jpg

Bringing the food to the woodcutters near Alvina’s camp wraps up this little sidequest.

tzRAaOz.jpg

fSkhwSJ.jpg

Because Martin helped Alvina, she’s now willing to teach some skills. Marksman is useful for Gwendala to learn.

iunaGJ1.jpg

e0YreOI.jpg

While Sleep is one of the best spells in the game.

l2OvfED.jpg

6qjxNO3.jpg

Wrapping up the spices matter with Saphira will turn her into a trainer also.

sUjmlqO.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The Baron is apparently coming here in a few days' time. The herbs are to be used at the feast.

lFDF8v3.jpg
Really? That's even better than I thought! Thank you, Martin Schulz, you've made an old herbalist very happy.

lFDF8v3.jpg
I promised you a reward and you shall have it. This sickle will enable you to harvest the most delicate herbs without destroying them in the process.

The sickle is useful but most useful are the spells she teaches.

NHIlNVx.jpg

gVejEM2.jpg

XJq8Hgc.jpg

Corpofrigo is not bad but Flesh to Stone is the best spell in the game.

VyqoSaN.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 31: The lesser evil

It is time to solve the bandit problem once and for all.

NZrlHq4.jpg

vw1yDlA.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I want to speak to your leader, sir. It's a business matter.

xUj893p.jpg
Business? We're always happy to do business. Come into the camp. But behave yourself, or there'll be trouble!

The guy in charge is Humbert.

BQELMB2.jpg

FF3Rnby.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Who are you talking about?

wfiA4QF.jpg
The forest has been swarming with maniacs and murderers lately. First there were those Cultists who drove us out of the ruins, then the Praios rabble, and, last but not least, that murderer Ronkwer turned up here with his band of cut-throats. How is an honest robber like me supposed to ply his trade with all this going on, I ask you?

wfiA4QF.jpg
But now that I'm standing here looking at you, an idea has just occurred to me. Would you like to earn yourself a few ducats, hoho?

SUj2akk.jpg
Maybe. Tell me what you have in mind first - but make it quick.

wfiA4QF.jpg
That evil killer Ronkwer has set up his camp further west, by the ford over the river. He wants to contest my control of the forest. Get rid of him for me and I will reward you handsomely, hoho.

wfiA4QF.jpg
Well, what's it to be? Man or mouse?

SUj2akk.jpg
Good, I'll get rid of the guy for you!

wfiA4QF.jpg
You do that. And come back here once he's dead. Then you'll receive your reward!

SUj2akk.jpg
You must know the castle inside out. Tell me a few things about the ruins.

wfiA4QF.jpg
Well, there's not that much there. It's been standing empty for far too long. Above ground, that thing is just a collection of deserted stones, a hollow tooth. But below ground it goes down several levels. We only ... lived on the two top ones.

SUj2akk.jpg
What kind of figures were they, who drove you and your band away? Didn't you resist at all?

wfiA4QF.jpg
Bah, if you only knew ... A bunch of madmen in dark hoods came one night without warning. Jolina must not have been completely wasted and managed to raise the alarm before they did her in. We thought at first that they were other robbers or the Baron's men-at-arms. But they turned out to be demons who wanted to slaughter us. They took Valpo's head right off his body ... so we took to our heels in the night, could hardly take anything with us. And just as we reached the forest and swore to get our revenge, this magical maelstrom lit up round the ruins - and we had to look for somewhere else to live.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you have any idea how to get into the castle?

wfiA4QF.jpg
Nah, we tried that too. No matter which path you take, they all end up at that dome of light surrounding the ruins. And between you and me ... after what they did to Valpo and Jolina, I wouldn't want to inflict that on myself and my gang ... They're lunatics in there, maniacs.

yClld80.jpg

Gladys can pickpocket Humbert’s wanted poster off him.

8IdryHO.jpg

Heading to Ronkwer’s camp, he turns out an utter dumbfuck.

WBi5TMl.jpg

66vOOXb.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
And who might you be? The prince of dunces?

i5ip4lZ.jpg
Hoho, you've obviously never 'eard of Robber Chief Rrrrronkwer, 'ave you? Wiv' a rolled "R" at the beginnin' an' at da end. My men and I, we're da new power in da Dark Forest. Humbert's time is up, now we're collectin' da tolls around 'ere. Wanna join me, lad?

SUj2akk.jpg
Ronk ... wer? I wouldn't know how I could be of help to you, radish-head.

i5ip4lZ.jpg
Well, my dear, together we could bag ourselves this whole forest. Your brawn and my brains. What do you think? You interested?

SUj2akk.jpg
Mhmm. I think I'll just kill you and collect my reward from Humbert.

i5ip4lZ.jpg
Hehe, you're an impertinent one, aren't you? Come on, lads, let's teach this greenhorn a lesson!

The only interesting part of this battle is that when completely surrounded, Ronkwer spams Roundhouse.

hUPmGne.jpg

South of Ronkwer’s camp is a small Inquisition camp called Berndrik’s camp, but it’s completely empty.

4l4FmQI.jpg

33xNwaL.jpg

Returning to Ronkwer, Martin receives a key to be used later.

S4igsSY.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 32: Know-it-all

Berndrik from the empty camp is already harassing the toad Knowall.

zPE02SB.jpg

WEXzHJD.jpg

There’s an option to get rid of the Praiots in a peaceful manner, provided some inane questions are answered.

SUj2akk.jpg
[Lie] Your Reverend, at last I've found you! Grand Inquisitor da Vanya has sent me with an urgent cry for help! Witches and other spawn of the Lower Hells have turned the Inquisition's camp into an inferno. You must come and help, quickly!

Lg3zMQc.jpg
The Grand Inquisitor sent you? Why would he send an adventurer like you? You're lying!

SUj2akk.jpg
Pull yourself together and get ready to leave! Do you think you can afford not to believe me?

Lg3zMQc.jpg
Don't go jumping the gun. If the Grand Inquisitor really has sent you, answer me three questions. Da Vanya's hat is decorated with a sunwheel. In which direction does it turn?

SUj2akk.jpg
To the right.

Lg3zMQc.jpg
Give me the names of three members of the order in the Inquisitor's camp!

SUj2akk.jpg
Arngeld, Mihal, Varina.

Lg3zMQc.jpg
The Grand Inquisitor is a well-read man. On the table in front of his tent is a stack of books. How many books, precisely, are there?

SUj2akk.jpg
Six – I know it for sure.

Lg3zMQc.jpg
You speak the truth! Come, men, arms at the ready! We must go back, quickly!

SUj2akk.jpg
Farewell, Reverend, and good luck!

bgVQ048.jpg

The toad can now be extracted in peace.

wMxotEW.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Morla sent me - I'm supposed to take you to her as quickly as possible.

4iGMNvL.jpg
Yes, Morla. Back to Morla. Knowall travel in your pocket.

Martin is to trudge back to the manor with a toad in his bag.

DM9wKKI.jpg

Back at the manor, there is a little surprise.

NRLw7MZ.jpg

Firniane, Danos’ butthurt girlfriend, sets the Inquisition on Martin.

qA1pQZg.jpg

KCwtmKP.jpg

JNWNHBT.jpg

Several phaggets appear out of nowhere and they’re not weak fighters.

S3Xl4d4.jpg

Gladys turned the head honcho to stone.

PikWsaS.jpg

After everyone is killed, there’s just the little matter with Firniane to wrap up; this is one of the rare cases in the game where Martin can be edgy.

pQB3McB.jpg

V2eD3oR.jpg

vxU1Nre.jpg

X9brx1g.jpg
Oh, child! I know how much you care about Danos. Come straight to me next time instead of running to the Praiots!

X9brx1g.jpg
And I have a question for you too, lad: Is it true what Firniane said? Did you really turn Danos into a toad?

SUj2akk.jpg
Just a minute! That fury set the Praiots on us. I demand compensation.

X9brx1g.jpg
That fury happens to be my maid. Don't worry, I wasn't exactly overjoyed to see a troop of Rays of Light and Sun Legionnaires standing in my farmyard either. Firniane's mistake will not go unpunished. But that's nothing to do with you. So, did you curse Danos or not?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, but it was nothing personal. I need the witches' help and Alvina wanted me to teach Danos a lesson.

X9brx1g.jpg
I understand; you're a mercenary. But sometimes it's necessary to think about the decisions you're making. You've made Firniane unhappy. Although I have to say she should have come straight to me in the first place - I would have told her that Alvina's curse wouldn't have lasted long.

LSPJX3h.jpg
And what if Danos gets eaten by an animal when he's in that state? He's helpless, after all, and an awful lot could happen to him!

LSPJX3h.jpg
You must bring my Danos to me!

X9brx1g.jpg
Not so fast, girl. I think it would be best if you fetched him yourself. And while you're at it, you can have a think about why we don't open the door to armed troops of strange men.

X9brx1g.jpg
Martin Schulz, is there anything else you would like to say to Firniane?

SUj2akk.jpg
You little snake, you set the Praiots on us! Be glad that you are under your Master's protection!

X9brx1g.jpg
That's enough! This is still my estate, and you will not insult my servants here!

X9brx1g.jpg
Firniane, it seems that you'll have to go and get your Danos yourself. And once you've done that, we'll have another talk.

In any case, Martin can now wrap up the matter with the witches.

n1nz0Dc.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I've completed all the tasks for the witches. Can you help me in my quest now?

zxdRqtL.jpg
I've already told our head witch Heidruna about you, Martin Schulz. You're to meet her at our secret dancing place. The owl skulls will show her that she can trust you.

SUj2akk.jpg
And what's so special about this dancing place?

zxdRqtL.jpg
Our witches' dancing place lies hidden in the Dark Forest. We meet there only on certain days in the year in order to pay homage to Satuaria. Go to the north-east and take the owl skulls with you. Heidruna will discuss your wish with you there.

SUj2akk.jpg
And this Heidruna can really help me?

zxdRqtL.jpg
If anyone can help you to get past the magical barrier, it's wise old Heidruna. She knows the oldest secrets and can tell you for sure which spell was cast on the ruins.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you, Morla - I'm very close to my goal now!

zxdRqtL.jpg
Knowall and I will always welcome you, Martin Schulz.

The dancing place is north of where Alvina dwells; the entrance is past the northernmost witch tree.

S767S51.jpg

L8LCteg.jpg

xBkUfqs.jpg

Heidruna appears once all the owl skulls are in place.

D7IR482.jpg

FodbBOR.jpg

NGns5FA.jpg

xAbQxwj.jpg

2VtVgQo.jpg

mtfb6oy.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you very much! How can we break through this magical protective barrier?

sg9i5h4.jpg
The protective spell is strong and full of strange magic I'm not familiar with. I think, though, that the powerful sorcerer has linked the magic to his own vitality. Kill the mage - and the barrier will break!

SUj2akk.jpg
But who is this sorcerer of unknown might? What if he's inside the ruins, pursuing some dreadful plan?

sg9i5h4.jpg
I thought that at first ... Oh no! Turn around! The imposter is here at the dancing place, even if he's not who he's pretending to be!

Unsurprisingly, Da Vanya turns out a fake. He’s another one of those lizard phaggets.

xzGX97L.jpg

LcREItc.jpg

EXOtXCa.jpg

bx1nLho.jpg

F3PmhAO.jpg

lkWpFk6.jpg

The lizard takes down Heidruna; it’s up to Martin to stop him.

TTwefqZ.jpg

A06FkRQ.jpg

8EZoE2u.jpg

J1s1naH.jpg

As soon as the lizard is dead the barrier around the castle ruin is dispelled, but there’s another surprise.

On9Vf1R.jpg

IyH943J.jpg

ENW7tb5.jpg

A live dragon appears out of the ruin and flies off.

HSevpez.jpg

yk2JQAR.jpg

tdVfdwF.jpg

A5YXSUm.jpg

Ppohoix.jpg

Heidruna was knocked out by the lizard but awakens in time.

xcZSbRk.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
How are you? Are you injured??

sg9i5h4.jpg
Hehe, this old body has already had to suffer a great deal. But by the thick duckweed, I've rarely seen such a powerful combat spell. That lizard was a mighty sorcerer. But don't you worry about Heidruna. The forest and I are one, its strength is mine - and it'll take more than a spell to destroy me. Hehe.

SUj2akk.jpg
What’s a Mantra’ke?

sg9i5h4.jpg
The Mantra'Ke are dragonlings, half human, half beast. They are the heirs of the dragons who once ruled this world. They know powerful magic and pray to different gods from us. Dragon gods. They have lived in hiding for millennia; many refuse to believe in their very existence. Yet now ... frightwarts! Which of us humans could stand up to their might?

SUj2akk.jpg
What kind of people must they be to follow such a monster of their own free will?

sg9i5h4.jpg
They look like religious zealots, but they carry no symbols of any deity known to me. But the Mantra'Ke worship dragons, so these Cultists probably do the same thing. People who worship dragons. I fear this is just the beginning of the horrors we will have to face ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Does that mean that the Sun Crusade actually consists entirely of Dragon Cultists?

sg9i5h4.jpg
No, i can't believe that. I fear that the Grand Inquisitor and his most loyal servants have acted as false prophets and fooled a lot of gullible people with unctuous speeches. Trust an old hag like me, Martin Schulz, it doesn't take much to persuade people to consign others to the bonfire.

Unctuous? Who even uses that word?

SUj2akk.jpg
But why are they persecuting you witches?

sg9i5h4.jpg
We Daughters of Satuaria are the guardians of this forest. Our eyes and ears miss nothing - and that magical barrier, as powerful as it may be, would have yielded to our powers sooner or later. The Sun Crusade was intended mainly as a distraction. A horde of bloodlusty Praiots was supposed to distract us from the actual goings-on in the ruins. What a tragedy.

SUj2akk.jpg
I might find some important answers inside the castle. I'll set off at once.

sg9i5h4.jpg
Yes, get to the bottom of the matter. I fear what we have seen here today will have consequences that affect much more than just the Dark Forest. But don't forget: the Praiots are still here, too. They'll probably leave soon, now that their leader has revealed himself to be a monster.

sg9i5h4.jpg
Their fury toward the one who deceived and used them and placed them in great danger seems greater than any grudge they hold against you. Don't expect a warm welcome from them, but they probably won't attack you on sight any more, either.

The lizardman, btw, dropped another piece of the golden armour that only Martin can equip.

zSlZ6nE.jpg

I1opMWs.jpg

When leaving the dancing circle, the game at least has the decency to teleport the party to the path leading to the castle.

Also conveniently, Bredo Bento the peddler has arrived.

e5C83T6.jpg

3njbu9B.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom