Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Mass Effect 3: Emotional Engagements

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
RK47 - is it possible to import a savegame with choices but without added levels and guns? I have a gut feeling that importing a ME2 character will screw up the balance badly - on the other hand I read that ME2 loyalty missions influence whether certain characters survive some points in the third one's plot or don't (which probably is flavour but hey, that's what you play ME games for)

No, it won't screw up the balance because of the level-scalling. Whether you fight as 1st lvl no one or lvl 30 veteran it will be basically the same, only with you having fewer skills and your enemies having lesser hp input/output in the former case. From what I hear the lvl cap in here is 60 so you and your enemies will become even more ridiculously overpowered.

Mrowak

Arcane
I completely agree with you Wyrmlord. I wouldn't recommend a hard 'you fail' counter like Fallout 1 though. It's too hard core for next-gen crowd.
It'd be actually nice if the game actually rewards skipping past the pleasantries. Like an in-game clock, showing how much of Earth is lost. Perhaps 24 hours is given before Earth is completely lost. Victory is still a possibility, but a Pyhrric one.

It's just like what the tagline says:

When the world is faced with becoming nothing, do you still have time for these things??
I propose something simpler.

A death count one the side of the screen showing how many people on earth have died since the invasion started.

When Shepard begins to get it on with Cortez, let it show 50,000,0000. When he is done, let is show 50,926,000. That will really drive home the message of the cost in time and human life of getting down and dirty with Cortez.

Wyrmy - this is BIOWARE we are talking about. These are the same people who first created the sense of urgency in ME2 (save teh colonies!!111), and actually had the balls to penalize you if you rushed to tackle Collector threat ignoring angsty side missions of your companions. How the flying fuck their "loyalty" was connected to them becoming incompetent hacks when it came to saving THEIR FUCKING OWN SKIN, we will never learn.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I had to perform a loyalty mission for myself before taking my final exams. Like, losing my virginity or something, but it never happened, and I passed. So yeah, fuck you Bioware.

Oesophagus

Arcane
This game is
bk2fk.jpg

RK47

Patron
The Anti Reaper Equation

After the Extreme(tm) introduction to Shepard's ex-girlfriend and current Shadow Broker, it's time to get some answers.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Look at that puppy dog eyes, awww...

04.jpg

It's nice to know that Shepard's heart is always in the right place.

lia.jpg
I was so worried when the reports came in. I'm... sorry about Earth.
ash.jpg
Yeah. It was... difficult to leave.

Nobody asked you, cunt. Shut up.

lia.jpg
Ashley. I'm sorry.

Don't be, babe. I've got this. *Kicks Reapers on the kidneys really hard*

lia.jpg
But... why'd you come here?
shep.jpg
Hackett ordered us to come. Said you'd know what was going on.
lia.jpg
I do.

Well, dang. That's a good one, I would never have guessed it. You actually knew something! Great writing as always, Bioware.

jam.jpg
Hallelujah. Some answers, finally.
lia.jpg
Maybe. I've discovered plans for a Prothean device. One that could wipe out the Reapers.

I feel the urge to face palm very hard.

shep.jpg
Here? On Mars?

Within hours of the Reaper's invasion? Really? Then why didn't the Reapers attack Mars first? They didn't know? Wow, what a coincidence! This is amazing storytelling! An unforeseen plot twist!

05.jpg

shep.jpg
I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Where do we fid this weapon?
lia.jpg
It's not a weapon... not yet. It's plans for a device. A blueprint.

So...why didn't you make a copy? Distribute it across Alliance networks? You're just going to keep here? On Mars?

shep.jpg
It's more than we had a minute ago. How do we get it?
06.jpg

lia.jpg
Assuming Cerberus hasn't locked it down.

Shit, nearly forgot about those...

shep.jpg
What are they after?
jam.jpg
Yeah, they seem hell-bent on catching you.
lia.jpg
They want what I'm here for... what we're all here for.

Relationships? Waifu? A forest of pussy to slurp?

shep.jpg
But why?
lia.jpg
The Protheans came close to defeating the Reapers. They had plans to destroy them, but ran out of time.

But, why have we only discovered it now? Why not, like in Mass Effect 1 or something?

ash.jpg
And anything powerful enough to destroy the Reapers...

I never gave you permission to speak, bitch.

shep.jpg
Just might be something Cerberus would be interested in.
jam.jpg
So it's a race to the Archives.

Yeah, let's complete each other's sentences. Your turn, Liara. BLAM!

07.jpg

The witty banter was interrupted by loud bangings and sound of welding from above.

08.jpg

shep.jpg
We've got company.
09.jpg

shep.jpg
Not this time, James.
10.jpg

Way to pop his bubble, Shep.

shep.jpg
Get back to the shuttle. If Cerberus beats us to the Archives, I need you covering the exits.

We have no choice here. Bioware seems to think we want Ashley and Liara along for the two squad-mates limit. I can understand having to bring Liara along, but Ashley? I smell a script budget limit behind this. Cause there'll be plenty of voiced dialogue past this point, they can't afford to alternate between Ash or Vega taking on two alternate scripts. Not to mention the possibility of Kaidan taking Ash's place. Good going, Bioware.

11.jpg

12.jpg

James backed down and make his way back to the shuttle.

ash.jpg
They're getting closer. We should take cover.

The welding stops as the door slides open.

13.jpg

lia.jpg
Looks like they found us.
14.jpg

Time to show you guys what Liara can do!

Black

Arcane
That James guy is pretty dumb. He gets a direct order from mothafucking shpeperds and goes "but".
But eh, what can you expect from a Jersey citizen.

Anyway, RK, I think you're not emotionally engaged enough, since you use logic and reason.

RK47

Patron
That James guy is pretty dumb. He gets a direct order from mothafucking shpeperds and goes "but".
But eh, what can you expect from a Jersey citizen.

Anyway, RK, I think you're not emotionally engaged enough, since you use logic and reason.

You're completely right, Black. I need to lose myself within the moment, let everything go. *Pinches nipples* AAAAAAH!
My body is ready.

Mrowak

Arcane
Yeah, singularity was broken in the demo. One ability that works on any opponent rendring him vulnerable, and can affect multiple targets in one shot?

The writing truly delivers... facepalms. :lol:

RK47

Patron
Team Shepard vs Cerberus

The race is on. We don't know for sure if Cerberus is for or against Earth, but leaving the Prothean technology in their hands is unacceptable. The Illusive Man has a lot to answer for.

01.jpg

Shepard hits the elevator button but nothing happens.

lia.jpg
They've sabotaged the elevator.
ash.jpg
Look for another way up.

Fumbling about reveals that the vehicle lift control can be used, but it's not the real solution.

02.jpg

ash.jpg
This is a secure station. How did Cerberus get in?
lia.jpg
Not sure. One minute we were getting reports of the Reaper invasion...
03.jpg

Hmm...if we can climb on top of the crates...

lia.jpg
The next, there was chaos. Didn't even realize it was Cerberus at first.
ash.jpg
Could they be working with the Reapers?
shep.jpg
Doubtful, but I suppose anything's possible.

That possibility is quite derp, considering how much damage we inflicted against the Reapers on the last Collector's plot they cooked up with the help of Cerberus operatives. Not to mention bringing back Shepard back to life. But we cannot discount the possibility of indoctrination...Could Shepard have made a mistake in leaving the Collector Base intact for Cerberus to study?

04.jpg

That is a question for another time, now, we deal with the present.

05.jpg

cer2.jpg
We've done a sweep through the residence. Going to check on Able Squad. They're not reporting in.

We have the element of surprise.

cer2.jpg
We're on it. Bravo Team out.

06.jpg

Getting into position...

07.jpg

The rising brofist signals an imminent assault.

08.jpg

Shepard rolls out in time before the frag grenade explodes and counter attacks.

09.jpg

The synergy between Liara's Singularity and Shepard's Throw biotics is simply too much for the Cerberus team to withstand.

cer2.jpg
This is Bravo Team. We've found the disturbance.

Prepare to be...disturbed.

11.jpg

Omni-blade prevails once more.

lia.jpg
We'll need access to the pedway. Controls should be nearby.

12.jpg

13.jpg

A carelessly dropped datapad gives a few bits and pieces of information. The name ExoGeni did ring a few bells. Namely, the company responsible behind that Rachni Queen breeding. Glad we put an end to that shit.

14.jpg

lia.jpg
Damn it! Security's been tampered with.

Searching the security station nets us an armor upgrade.

15.jpg

A pair of gauntlets. We cannot change our armor during missions, we need to return to Normandy if we want to make any changes.

16.jpg

Also, scanning medkits gives up experience points. None of the combat kills actually reward you with experience. :bioware: Therefore, scanning medical supplies increases your combat effectiveness. Another RPG bullshit mechanic that we can do away with.

17.jpg

A dead security officer has the M-4 Shuriken SMG. Shepard picks it up.

18.jpg

SMGs are pretty high-recoil and strictly close combat weapons. If I have to choose between the two, I'd take the N7 Eagle since it's an automatic pistol with a more manageable recoil.

By the way, I got the Alienware M-90 Indra Sniper rifle free DLC unlock.

19.jpg

It's a complete failure as a sniper rifle. High clip size, but pitiful damage. Even with full auto capability, it's still not what we want from a sniper rifle. One hit, one kill. That's what we need. The Widow stays.

20.jpg

lia.jpg
What the...
lia.jpg
Let me try-- Nope.

Liara will continue to fumble about, not being able to hack the security console just because Shepard never interacts with the console to advance the cinematic sequence. Woman and computers. Sigh. Alright, time for a short cutscene.

Notice how during the movie, Liara is standing up and takes a seat AGAIN? Yeah, man. Cinematic fail. Let's step outside and resume the mission.

21.jpg

lia.jpg
Storm's getting closer!
ash.jpg
What the hell?

Shepard looks up and notices a firefight taking place at the tram way.

22.jpg

lia.jpg
That tram heads to the Archives. Once Cerberus is across, they're at the final security checkpoint.
shep.jpg
Then that's where we're headed.

The team moves on, and Vega delivers some bad news over comms.

23.jpg

shep.jpg
Barely. Storm's causing interference.
jam.jpg
Tell me about it. I've lost contact with the Normandy. What's your -static-
shep.jpg
I didn't read that, James. Repeat?
jam.jpg
I said... -static-
shep.jpg
Damn it.

You know what? I can hear this over the in-game audio. He was saying what's your location, but the game pretended Shepard can't hear a thing. But really, what is the point of that transmission? Are we supposed to be concerned about his safety? There's no tension. We're wiping Cerberus squads left and right, if the storm persists, Cerberus can't extract themselves easily out of the installation anyway, so yeah, what is the problem, Bioware? Do tell.

lia.jpg
That storm's going to be in here very soon.
shep.jpg
Yeah, I think it's already here.

Is this Chekov's gun? Why do they keep talking about the weather on Mars?

24.jpg

I hope all these storm commentaries pays off.

25.jpg

Ah, another armor upgrade, this time a Kassa Fabrication Chestplate. Can't wait!

26.jpg

So, what? You want it to be locked and force us into a hacking mini-game? Quit being so inane.

ash.jpg
Doesn't look like it was forced.
lia.jpg
No, you have to override security protocols.

So they hacked it for us. Thanks, Cerberus. We'll be sure to repay you all, with bullets. Shepard's team enters what seems like the cafeteria area. It's dark.

27.jpg

Looks like a perfect spot for an ambush. Bodies everywhere.

lia.jpg
Someone vented the air from this room while they were still here.

28.jpg

lia.jpg
This is brutal even by Cerberus standards.

This is highly unusual, yeah. But perhaps there's a possibility that Cerberus has a splinter cell from within. One that went a little too extreme and took matters into their own hands. This is my guess at the time. We're dealing with a break-away faction within Cerberus.

29.jpg

Dr. Eva. She's starting to fit the profile of a Cerberus insider. Anyway, datapads give 75 EXP. We proceed to the lower level of the cafeteria when suddenly...

Shepard hits the elevator button but nothing happens.

lia.jpg
They've sabotaged the elevator.
ash.jpg
Look for another way up.
Aaaaahahahahahahahaha... ahaha... ahahahahaha... *cough*wheeze*dies* :lol: :lol: :lol:

This shit was hilarious in Unreal Revolution, but you can rely on Bioware to outdo any parody any time of the year... :lol:

RK47

Patron
30.jpg

Anyway, going to bed now. Had some MP fun - here's a teaser for tomorrow! :salute:

Mrowak

Arcane
It is because there has never been white knighting through power emoting on the Codex, until Hiver came along and changed the game.​

"power emoting"? With white knighting?

How on earth can you accomplish that? Clearly I am missing something obvious...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is because there has never been white knighting through power emoting on the Codex, until Hiver came along and changed the game.​

How on earth can you accomplish that? Clearly I am missing something obvious...
Long story short:

A year of laborious copying bore fruit.

Dr. Muzyka proudly presented what many now consider to be the first complete sequence of fragments cobbled together from the labyrinthine fragments of the Codexian Tales. That work is now reproduced faithfully for your viewing pleasure.

ayEf3.jpg

wOIR8.jpg

ssiiQ.jpg

mYtmc.jpg

wgfll.jpg

8RqLP.jpg

Jzcoe.jpg

M50vr.jpg

6h4XN.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That's quite hilarious. The little detail of Andhaira demanding passage just crowns the whole thing.

Like used to happen in IRC and probably still does and spread from there to MUDs and MMORPGs - the habit of using text, *emote*, to describe what you/your character is doing because of software limitations *Garfunkel explains patiently.* Then of course some people take it too far and start to imagine that emotes can actually affect reality or even just the game, leading to Oblivion-level LARPing. I've seen people wanting to emote duels in WoW and UO instead of using the actual game mechanics because their characters suck and stuff like that - very common with little kids who have just discovered "roleplaying". Hence why it was both so jarring and hilarious for a grown man to utilize it in such a fashion.

Also, this is Dicksmoker level of over-analysing shit, so I'm done. Going to slurp up that pussy forest now.

RK47

Patron
Dick Smoker sounds like an awesome protagonist for a noir adventure game or something.

The name's Dick. Dick Smoker, the evening rain pours down like liquid spears down on my black fedora. Withdrawing my cigar, I licked the moisture on my lips, thankful for the sustenance from mother nature's soaking vagina. But I want more. I know there's a concrete forest full of pussy out there, and I want to slurp all that shit up.

The Tactical Narrow Corridor Engagements

Liara being the traditional meek, emotional waifu-template she is, starts to lament her carelessness.

01.jpg

The second option will net us Renegade points, but it will abruptly end the conversation. It makes me feel that, perhaps, just maybe, that Bioware is starting to understand that telling girls to man up will not make them wet for you. So yeah, let's go for the sensitive option.

shep.jpg
Stopping the Reapers is the only thing we should be focused on. It's not your fault.

This brings a smile to Liara's face. Shepard can't see it, of course. But we can due to the camera angle. Subtle. This should've been enough, but Liara won't let it go that easily.

lia.jpg
But what if we're wrong? What if there's no way to stop them?
lia.jpg
What if these are our last days and we spend them scurrying around trying to solve a problem we can't fix?

Two hours into the game and already a party member is having emotional crisis. Clearly Commander Shepard's psychological expertise in counselling such basket cases from Mass Effect 2 will come in handy here.

shep.jpg
Liara...
lia.jpg
I know. I shouldn't think that way.
lia.jpg
I don't know how you do it. You've always stayed focused, even in the worst situations.

I really want to cheer her up, give her some inspirational words of wisdom, but the second choice is too good to skip.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Mark Meer's flat delivery delivers again. It's like telling people he brushes his teeth every night.

04.jpg

That's probably not the answer Liara is looking for. But I doubt it'll matter in the long run.

05.jpg

lia.jpg
I wish I had your confidence.

I wish I had your Stasis biotic. That's right, only Asari gain access to Stasis.

lia.jpg
Okay. Door's open. We can get to the labs and tram station through here.
shep.jpg
Good. Let's move.
06.jpg

Oh, a weapon bench. How nice.

07.jpg

Parts for SMG Ultralight Materials. This could be useful.

08.jpg

So let's mod this baby. Reduced weapon weight gives reduction to power recharge penalty when equipping that weapon. It's a good bonus. I decide to give the N7 Hurricane DLC SMG a try.

Also, save games are still console - meaning, no save game names can be entered. It's hard to keep track which is which.

09.jpg

Also, we've leveled up. Let's spend points.

10.jpg

Rank 6 Throw is evolved to launch two projectiles instead of one. Insane at 3 sec recharge.

11.jpg

Our peace time is over, it's time to bring down some Cerbian operatives.

12.jpg

The narrow offices gives ample opportunity to abuse Liara's singularity. They cannot dodge it and is rendered helpless by the biotic explosion.

13.jpg

A new enemy appears! The Guardian is a pistol equipped trooper with a riot shield, protecting himself from any frontal attack. There are two ways we can counter this.

14.jpg

In the teaser before this update, Shepard uses the throw Biotics to knock them off balance, giving a small window of opportunity to expose the Guardian's head. This is why the sniper is critical in most MP matches. That or simply use the Pull biotics to yank the shield off them.

15.jpg

Non-biotics are stuck with aiming through the little slits on their shield, or flanking.

16.jpg

There's an achievement for shooting through the slits. Now I feel dirty.

17.jpg

Shepard gets jumped at close range, losing his shield!

18.jpg

Stasis comes to the rescue. They literally froze on the spot.

19.jpg

Calmly draw your sniper rifle and place the reticule on their head from 1 metre away.

20.jpg

You can do this from 75 metres as well. Ensuring the head shot achievement's cheapness since you're literally shooting stationary targets who cannot shoot back and takes 50% more damage. Completely balanced.

21.jpg

Oh noes! At this range, the Guardian enters its most effective range, whatever shall we do?

22.jpg

Singularity yanks them off their feet. This is child's play.

23.jpg

lia.jpg
They just activated the decontamination protocols.
ash.jpg
With the staff still inside.

Right, is that good or bad?

24.jpg

No matter, fiddling with the controls will move the ..uh...orange barrier, wall...thing. It clears us a path to the next section.

25.jpg

Angle it right, and you might gain access to scan this medkit.

26.jpg

More level ups? Sure thing. Tech Armor damage bonus please.

27.jpg

More useless datapad info.

lia.jpg
This is where they studied the various relics unearthed here.
shep.jpg
What did they find?
lia.jpg
More than I could describe in a short conversation. And they'd only scratched the surface.
lia.jpg
There are vaults filled with Prothean data troves that have never been studied.

28.jpg

Yeah, but what's this Sniper Rifle Barrel Extension mod doing here in a relic study room? Never mind, it's probably the Cerbian equipment.

29.jpg

Looks like we made it. Hopefully in time.

lia.jpg
No doubt Cerberus has it locked down. Hopefully we can override it at the security station.

That's all for the morning update, thanks for reading and see you tonight!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looking good.

Yeah, I dunno about that doctor. She does have that Miranda physique going on. But maybe that's just normal in the future. All scientists have to have lingerier model bodies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom