Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let''s Play: The X-COM Files 0.5.2b Alpha! BLIND! ITS BAAAACK!!

boot

Prophet
agent boot requesting active service

I think new strategy is needed, or a quick death is guaranteed for all.

Episode IX. Ailuranthrope

Note to self: I need to use less screenshots to make updates flow better. Or not, dunno about the people's preference. I'm new to this LP thing.

Our Passenger Flight to Northern Africa is underway and ready to rock.

hCUqOd.png

5KihdB.png

5tCYZW.png

Featuring: Our "new" toy, the Pump-Action Shotgun. "New" because it was always there the entire time, but I never figured that I could use it in Strange Creature missions. Less pellets than the saw-off, but better for aimed attacks.

rpALIF.png

profeshional is assigned the 9mm/taser combo, for stun, two-shot burst and sniping.

cXtkYh.png

SxD5Ik.png

It is clearly night. Who knows what lurks in the dark?

INELaN.png

rGEK4e.png

0W9okK.png

4Raniv.png

DkOdqr.png

Funfact: You can shut down your personnal lightning by pressing "L" on your keyboard. This helps you hide in the dark. Mainly useful against other humans, because their vision is as bad as yours.
tEoZIA.png

lviDC1.png

j0eW74.png

gbGCgT.png

IEOjnJ.png

V1XTDA.png

On second thought I conclude that I'm probably risking myself by going into the dark without a light. Gonna get a flare to help with that.
iW49PO.png

3f6t54.png

Wait a minute, I think I saw something!

Rf0Jl7.png

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT
IS THAT A WEREWOLF?!

egPm1r.png

Doghover tries adressing the Furry problem, but he sadly misses.

lu4rxQ.png

profeshional doubles back to the Deployment Zone
0TGWDQ.png

puLtn6.png

f6TOPd.png

JjSIho.png

The furry monster has disappeared... or has it?

Lhp6kc.png

paLBXL.png

UxVf49.png

adJBFn.png

ChDhSI.png

GcbzjR.png

There it is!

J8oTte.png

X430gf.png

ZnbdHR.png

Mlln3S.png

iibzdv.png

I3QLlg.png

GpT5h3.png

0LFvht.png

Finally, after like two double taps, profeshional hits the target. It is, however, still alive.
JrtqUq.png

Zwc67d.png

CmG7HH.png

To1Ffh.png

Stop before attacking stop before ataccking

alW4kU.png

hMoh7F.png

ptDCYh.png

:salute: profeshional killed by a monster from legends

z2t7L5.png

doghover prepares to engage in do-or-die combat and hopes real werecreates are not invulnerable to normal gunfire

x3w23n.png

BAM!
MNSppW.png

IT FALLS DOWN!
WE WON! GOT A WEREWOLF ON THE BAG!
n0c1JB.png

Fa7IPo.png

dTjdEm.png

>Creates a Secret Investigation Bureau to discover and investigate extraterrestrials
>Werecats are real instead.
>TFW when you go after aliens and find creatures of myth instead
>WTF
>TFW Not Sure It Was Aliens

4NF5YM.png

fOhP4v.png

Stock reposition! There comes our sweet leather coats!

sPuz8x.png

Those pump-actions just proved their worth!

iRX30D.png

And to finish it off: Our expert car thieves obtain another vehicle to send cannonfodder into battles.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally, you got an actual success! And it was a werewolf (??). Not sure what the UN will say about this. Anyway, my twin brother Lightbane II is ready to serve! Just try to rent a party van or something, two agents are too few to fight against anything except single targets.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I feel this was built to take into account the increased skillset of modern Xcom players: pretty much everyone plays SuperHuman in baseline nowadays, so they increased the difficulty, like the original Doom and Nightmare!.

On the other hand, get a fucking bus. And a fucking automatic gun, auto fire is always the best option in Xcom.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't feel any remorse, getting my ass bombarded while wearing nice suit....

Just when running away with 0 score is not enough mod drop civilians into the map to give you (more) negative score.

Sign me in again.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Doghover is tha man! Rock'n'roll baby! Yeeehaaawww! Nothing can stop me!

Until the next mission, that is

lightbane

Arcane
There's surprisingly very little information available for this mod. Anyway, I like to think that right now scientists aren't researching anything, but instead making their way through a maze of paperwork and red tape in order to give your agents some actual gear. Hence why stuff like leather coats and buses are considered research projects. :lol:

Although I wonder what happens if you were to research that machete. And how to make quick money, now that selling Laser Cannons to Russia the Black Market is no longer an option.

Episode X. Church of Dagon

W3QSIP.png

Local authorities in South Africa alert us to suspicious individuals acting in a cultish manner. The bad cultish kind.

ACurat.png

There we go to violate Freedom of Religion for the common good of man!

x0vyxQ.png

WezrSj.png

Church of Dagon? Either someone has been reading too much of the Mythos, or we're about to prod a beehive here, folks. I don't think we're up enough in the tech tree to tackle the Elder Things.

KoYsTq.png

RbVcHL.png

Mzeta II (who acts strangely like the original) takes the beretta and the "sniper/stunner" position thanks to his good accuracy. Doghover, on the other hand, takes the position of shotgunner/medic.

0XUCnr.png

E3MGjk.png

Tmuroy.png

Our heroes scout around, and only find a delicious pool. Seriously, that's a sweetly blue pool. I think these guys went way overboard on the clorate. I feel like diping in it!

uIVjVY.png

Cultish motherfucker spotted! Green KKK hood, axe, murderous disposition, check. Or Maybe that's just a member of the Green Klu Klux Klan of South Africa?
TZSOgs.png

Mzeta II takes aim to put this perp to sleep.

WLSuS6.png

Mzeta II comes closer for a better shot. Here we go...

kJ1Kpt.png

Good job tazing that wall, Mzeta II!

MAu7G6.png

Wall is stun

1Stqb1.png

Another cultist appears, and Mzeta prepares to be mobbed by ax-crazy cultists of the deep ones...

Vdjee7.png

... and they run away?! Talk about anticlimatic! #NotAllCultists

WFgXVA.png

Doghover decides dipping in that pool comes later, and gets back into the car to help his partner

Tdfvt3.png

I see you...

4uxvEA.png

opo1IZ.png

dvkE14.png

Fact: If you can be seen, you can be shot.

BqphUI.png

816BhP.png

Gunfire put a cultist to sleep, not forever! Luck!

P9eKJB.png

EtRjIq.png

gUdjAu.png

XceFFL.png

This cultist runs away. Smart for a goon.

xTXG3l.png

esO6cy.png

FYgwL3.png

lALT5X.png

Now there are two cultists. Expecting five cultists to come from all directions in a minute or two.

IHWCe7.png

5yMEwu.png

vWL8mt.png

sjJ6o2.png

Those cultists are tough fuckers. Do KKK hoods make you buletproof or something?

v8TG2o.png

Cultist rushing us!

4txIEi.png

jOK963.png

Ran out of TUs, you brutish faggot? Next turn, you're our bitch!

qXbRbl.png

PHeTps.png

X-COM: Will taze you, bro.

GVE92k.png

Q9VjsB.png

Doghover takes the cultist's ax and hurls it away lest this fucker awake and gets back to choppin'
uEr6dB.png

Doghover prepares to check on the cultist's vitals next turn. Dead Men Tell no Tales, after all.

oWZdJm.png

ofjzOk.png

CmI6Zk.png

We shoot more at another cultist, but fucker refuses to budge.

5OT8bL.png

The stunned cultist awakens, and MZeta tries to hit the one behind him, but misses and nails him instead.
4BT2K0.png

31YxXS.png

MZeta finishes the job. We could have used another cultist to interrogate, but better to have one than none.

GXULuW.png

Doghover finds the cultist is not mortally wounded, so no problem with the fucker bleeding out on us.

Jlfla8.png

3cQLAu.png

Eyod4E.png

ohvvyc.png

rGSl2a.png

Last cultist is sent straight to hell.

IeYNxo.png

UUc80t.png

xB14J8.png

SIOmXG.png

Good mission. Bagged a cultist alive, killed three others, no casualties or even wounds. Flawless Victory!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
With all the shootan going around it looked like there were 8 dudes there not just 4

Freddie

Savant
Okay, this is interesting. Sign me in as volunteer against alien werewolves and cultists.

lightbane

Arcane
I love these new sprites. Also, a successful mission? No way! Good thing these cultists only had melee weapons.

Episode XI. Cattle Mutilation

3RhAZt.png

Our elite bureocrats finally get us some sweet Kevlar body armor!
Check it out:

ls0EVB.png

Superior armor and penetration resistance compared to the leather coat. Only disadvantages are the horrible incendiary resistance (which is equal to the suit, and pretty much got us killed once), the inferior melee dodge and the -5 TUs. The Leather Coat will remain in the reserves, and might be brought out when need.

pmhx4m.png

X-COM scientists are assigned to logistics. Pretty sure this will get us a damn van.

uLSVFM.png

d3lfh1.png

You know, with all the stuff going in North America, I should stop being a cheapskate and get us a Mudranger.

BKlcaD.png

Cattle Mutilation! Quite the interesting mission - we have to do it, get what we came for, and bolt out in 10 turns.

9QVLfZ.png

cklBRa.png

Azira II and Trindrli use the usual sniper/stunner and shotgunner/medic set-up.

ahpsQf.png

7UH84F.png

Suspect detected! Looks human! Farmer! Hostile?

DELkth.png

Our men prepare to engage in combat, but it really dark and fuck I keep forgetting to arm flares.

2TxkGk.png

Then Trindrli gets served a big buckshot breakfast from the dark.
Confirmation: Suspect Hostile.

nmgx4o.png

Confirmation: Suspect Hostile.
Agent down!
:salute: Trindrli II, died in a hurry.
X-COM Scientists watching the feed strangely downcast, far more than the norm. Like someone killed their science experiment.

fXEUl2.png

Azira takes over behind the car, because screw standing in the dark and getting all-you-can-eat buckshot breakfast buffet.

VQN5c5.png

The murderous farmer appears again in the dark

IjCFLM.png

Trindli II avenged!

Dgms5C.png

Its not over yet!

s4clLF.png

Another farmer!

THNOFZ.png

Azira closes in for the kill. The farmer is where the other one got killed.

76M5q2.png

On more prudent tough, Azira goes back for cover. The farmer runs towards him, seemgly unarmed. A victim of the Mind Control System?

REAYrm.png

7dlVcB.png

7io3iA.png

Bagged 'im!
Retrieve and Retreat!

VrDTTQ.png

Azira II drags the farmer back to the car.

WJMUT7.png

Time is running out!

S9ksNI.png

Azira II dumps the farmer in the backseat, and steps on the gas, leaving two dead bodies behind him.

6YHNiy.png

Mission accomplished.
SyAgSJ.png

HkyqvZ.png

c2PaUx.png

Trindrli II is not even given the decency of a burial. Latter search attempts were made, but the corpse was never found.
Even the dignity of a proper burial is lost in the drive to save mankind through the shadows.
Such is life in the Bureau.

Episode XII. Communist Crop Circles

8pa9NU.png

Cuban authorities report Crop Cicles in the colectivized fields. This displeases Great Leader, only crop circles allowed are COMMUNIST CROP CIRCLES!

BsYSte.png

Great Leader is a friend to X-COM, as his nation supplies us black market cigars. As we all know, cigars are necessary to seem mysterious and vaguely sinister, as well as being great for stake-outs while chugging coffee. Spooks need their cigars.

dYn2e9.png

Strap in lads, this is another timed mission. In and out, quick.

ueq3Zq.png

8mxqdi.png

Doghover and Mzeta II, the duo of investigative agents, step in, Doghover clutching his trusty pump-action and Mzeta II with his beretta/tazer combo.

yR8OvU.png

Pdc6uo.png

Investigation begins.

uSSnnH.png

Crop circle! So, they ARE real!
Something strange seen! Looks like water on those crop circles! Or is it?

ZgB9uR.png

xqPJLC.png

Eight turns to go.

Y1kT5a.png

Doghover identifies a suspect: Armed farmer, seemingly human.

Rt9bIR.png

Taking BOLD ACTION, Doghover clubs the farmer from his sides before he can even act!

m9kdbM.png

Capture sucessful!

p3Duuy.png

greU9C.png

Seven turns to go.

639yXP.png

I SAID, CAPTURE SUCESSFUL!

KYJ8uH.png

cp2vxy.png

AND STAY BAGGED!

SwH8Sf.png

Meanwhile, Mzeta the Second decides to investigate the fields.

cn2mSC.png

fuYDTk.png

Doghover prepares to retrieve first suspect and dump him into the backseat.

zdcubb.png

Armed suspect detected!

7zgIF8.png

ujZw5R.png

Doghover dumps farmer on the ground, prepares to engage in combat.

jB4jyg.png

Mzeta is face to face with another farmer! Unarmed, clearly not himself.

CwVcyL.png

Wall is stunned!

enmchU.png

Good job not hitting that wall, bro!

V67zmK.png

AR3Snv.png

Third time's the charm!

wvgQYS.png

Cu9OaK.png

Meanwhile, Doghover is busy, *ahem*, silencing a suspect.

Hv3uV2.png

Fuck you farmers, STAY DOWN DAMNIT!

0hsDbp.png

AOtOgc.png

Doghover continues exchanging fire with the other farmer.

k02tKw.png

IO0pCi.png

Mzeta has suspect in the bag, proceeding to extraction point.

FKbwLM.png

Doghover decides between keeping the firefight and just sprinting to extraction with the stunned capture.

XcRnSM.png

Answer: Silence witnesses.
Doghover Does What He Has To Do.

OXwlZo.png

Secrecy is maintaned.
Cold, man. But necessary.

VvmQLA.png

Case closed.
Let's see what we got:

2DKYgn.png

uKlIwG.png

Intriguing... alien fuel trace! Also we got two abducted farmers, a corpse and a couple spare shotguns.

1qoyQx.png

Azira II is promoted to Sergeant for his participation in the current... yeah I don't get it either. A classic X-COM mystery.

C8J7zD.png

We get our kevlar and extra leather coats! No more armorless agents!

uUEHx5.png

Our people finish up logistics!

qqhaPp.png

Finally, we can now get a van!

EuB8lu.png

Our scientists are put to work getting us some "Non-Standard Weapons". Whatever those may be, I want some. I could do with a cocktail molotov, even.

5r7dsi.png

cdcAg4.png

The X-Fleet is overhauled!

I77QOE.png

Finally, the first X-COM Squad is assembled under command of the recently-healed Captain Aeternalis, our highest-ranking soldier!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom