Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let''s Play: The X-COM Files 0.5.2b Alpha! BLIND! ITS BAAAACK!!

lightbane

Arcane
I like how the mod manages to capture the feel of working in an understaffed, underfunded, overworked organization doing everything they can in subpar conditions to fight against the enemies of humanity. On the plus side, neither zombies nor cults can force nations to abandon the X-COM project.

Also, parasite-inducing zombies? These aliens are truly wicked.

Lastly, Solarius Scorch , which I never expected to make an account here*, uploaded a quick patch.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ibrrho8e6jsc0q/OpenXcom_XFiles_0.5.2b.zip

0.5.2b:
- Added Blackops Sniper Rifle AA Clip.
- Removed unnecessary files.

* It is true what they said about the Codex having a summoning stone.

Hey, that mission went surprisingly well. Surprise zombies, yet noone died?

I'm the official medic now, aren't I? :M

Not enough zombies, the lucky thing is that there was only a single armed farmer there (and he was pretty much only a threat in a certain place). If there were, say, three armed farmers with shotguns and hunting rifles, it could have been hell. I also play Crop Circle/Cattle Mutilation missions by doing long walks and sprints instead of the more careful typical X-COM playstyle.

Depends on how the Safari Rifle project is going, you may end up being one of the first proud shooters of the Nitro Express rifle.

Get new Armor!

Want it badly. Kevlar ain't doing it anymore. Its ok but too much front-loaded in protection. Its barely better than Leather Coat in other spots.

I like how the mod manages to capture the feel of working in an understaffed, underfunded, overworked organization doing everything they can in subpar conditions to fight against the enemies of humanity. On the plus side, neither zombies nor cults can force nations to abandon the X-COM project.

Also, parasite-inducing zombies? These aliens are truly wicked.

Lastly, Solarius Scorch , which I never expected to make an account here*, uploaded a quick patch.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ibrrho8e6jsc0q/OpenXcom_XFiles_0.5.2b.zip

* It is true what they said about the Codex having a summoning stone.

Indeed! Are you playing, as well?

Indeed, they can force nations to abandon X-COM... as far as we know, not yet.

Parasite zombies do make more sense than virus zombies.

Guess who got him to make an account? He's a intelligent guy, hope he starts posting around here.
I knew about the patch, just didn't update to 0.5.2b yet. Will do when I start working on next update.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my cover. Should've known better than trying to go stealthy on foreign grounds.

Yup, here I am. I am responsible for all this. Throw rocks at me. But don't ask me about spoilers, because you probably won't get any.

Also since my cover is blown, I'll be commenting here from now on. My first one: Slaughter, try clicking middle mouse button on enemies, it brings up their pic and inventory now. (Some have no pics, because this wild feature appeared suddenly and I can't do a bajillion pics at once.)

lightbane

Arcane
Indeed! Are you playing, as well?

Not yet! I did play around a little and fiddled with the "Custom Battle" options to see what the game has to offer, but right now I don't have the time. At the moment I'm waiting for Piratez's final release, it should be quite close to arrive to the 1.00 version and thus be technically complete.

Parasite zombies do make more sense than virus zombies.

Eh, that can be argued. Before discussing though, let's see if said zombies can get worse (better?). As tough as they are, they are no match against the rape-machines that are Chrysalids. Chances are that these zombies will start mutating into nastier things, as that Fat Zombie shows.

Last edited:
Piratez is regularly updated (next update probably this week), and it's choke full of content, can be finished and everything, but 1.0 is not yet in sight. It needs more end game content to make it less monotonous. I think I managed to convince Dioxine that 1.0 also must have proper intro and outro, which probably made it vaporware. :P
Anyway, X-Com Files is in a much earlier stage than Piratez, so if you want to choose between the two based on completion, Piratez is definitely the one to go to. But if you want to play actual X-Com, then by all means, play XCF - it also can be finished, but many arcs are incomplete.

lightbane

Arcane
The man himself has spoken!
Well, I did notice this, but I hoped 1.0 was nearby, seeing the current update is 0.99E. I just wanted to be sure to have a more or less finished update that didn't change too much what game mechanics and such that are placed right now (ie: swapping the starting the vehicle with another thing yet again, or adding the option to optionally start with the Bonaventura as with older versions).

As for XCF, yeah, I noticed it can be theoretically completed, but I don't mind waiting to see what will you be adding to make it more interesting.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

lightbane

Arcane
Indeed. Seriously, how hard is it to "requisition" homemade explosives? The game does a good job at simulating being constrained by stupid bureaucrats who will still hesitate to help, even when you literally shove physical evidence on their faces.

Example: Showing these werewolves' bodies and zombies and other stuff = Getting a somewhat minor increase in importance and requisition range. I bet that in order to get to the UFO: Enemy Unknown's starting gear, you'll have to show live footage of alien activity and then bring an actual, captive alien along with their spaceships to boot. Multiple times.

Freddie

Savant
'Flying brick' and 'Assorted Business Expenses' sounded good names for Mudranger and I add 'Bold Eagle' or 'Bald Eagle' for vehicle name pool.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
66438734.jpg

Dead?!? Just moments before the Nitro rifle became available? Why?...

lightbane

Arcane
Yeah, more firepower is seriously needed. Awesome update either way. Also, somehow a shitty baton is more effective than a supposedly high-tech baton with shocking charges. Only in XCOM. :lol:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, more firepower is seriously needed. Awesome update either way. Also, somehow a shitty baton is more effective than a supposedly high-tech baton with shocking charges. Only in XCOM. :lol:

its because the tonfa is used in martial arts, so its fuelled by the wielder's ki

a ninja knows no fear

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Now we're talking with srs feuerpower
Why my troops suck?
because they're not enemy troops
its because the tonfa is used in martial arts, so its fuelled by the wielder's ki
a ninja knows no fear
"knows no fear"?
in X-Com?

lightbane

Arcane
Surprise attack!
q8FQVL.png

That's the night vision mode? It sure looks weird.

oWU9tU.png

Oh shit, they heard you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom