Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let''s Play: The X-COM Files 0.5.2b Alpha! BLIND! ITS BAAAACK!!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the prospect of following two guys with water guns in a car again for months doesn't sound very appealing to be frank

lightbane

Arcane
I was going to talk about the mod at some point, but I wasn't sure where to write this, as it's not really well-known in the codex (I believe it doesn't even have youtube videos). In any case...

Indeed it is. I think the biggest change is getting used to doing more with less - going from 14 soldiers to 2, and using pea-shooters. X-COM's vanilla gear looks a lot better once you play this.

You don't even know what you don't know. I played far further than your LP shows and you sure learn to appreciate how good "earthly" weapons can be in specific situations, and you'll love the day you complete the research topic that gives you access to explosives, at fucking last.

Unfortunately, I'll delay playing for a while until the next update is made, as right now I neutralized 3/4 of the "main cults" and it is becoming increasingly apparent that the mod is unfinished (for example, due a bit of the game's original code leaking somehow, I was able to acquire access to gear I shouldn't have been able to acquire yet).

The way absolutely mundane things have to be researched are indeed weird. So far this has not been addressed appropriately. Like, having to research AKs and axes.

I think it's a limitation of the game, which the mod tries to address by mentioning how you have to "catalogue everything". On the plus side, most of the common human tech/guns can be researched in a single day with just one scientist, so it balances out. The problem comes when you get high-profile weaponry that is beyond your current "promotion level", giving you trouble ti acquire ammo for it, or even be unable to research it at all.

However, so far the worst problem is that I confirmed the mod IS NOT balanced for higher difficulties. I used to play at Veteran (I don't have to prove anything to anyone and waste my time in Superhuman mode), but it is obvious it was designed for xcom vanilla gear in mind. While most faction maps can be completed more or less fine, special scenarios pits you against over 40+ dudes or even more. Have fun fighting against half hundred zombies which are improved and armored compared to the "standard variety". Piratez is even worse, as some missions can have up to hundreds of enemies. Hence why I switched to Experienced, even if in exchange most missions seem easy. I also helped Solarius Scorch by reporting bugs and exploits I found and the like.

Speaking of Piratez, one thing I liked to do during these "homicidal soldier" maps is to stun doctors, thugs and policemen/women as many as they can: They're rendered K.O. and thus safe from enemy attacks, but it allows you to "recover" their inventory for some money. :lol::lol: Of course, the Council gets a bit annoyed at your "recovery practices", but the score loss is worth it.

If you want BIG change, try PirateZ. The meta is quite different from vanilla X-COM. Vanilla X-COM generally rewards careful gameplay, while PirateZ rewards aggressive or careful gameplay, depending on the scenario and what is being done.

I tried it, but I think I'll pass for now. It has some questionable choices as a rather difficult to read letter font (due to the combination of colors it uses) and the standard "battle theme" is BAD. REALLY BAD, think "Dead State-grating" of bad, and not even fitting with the game's usually cheery tone.

As for the LP, do what you think best, I dunno if I'll follow it though, as I have said I'm done with the main threats and right now busy with other factions while I wait for the aliens to arrive.

Lastly, I recommend you to go for logistics ASAP and any research subject that lets you carry more agents (moreover, the best transport until the Skyranger arrives is locked behind Promotion 2, so it will take a while). I warn you that getting the Skyranger will take a long time to do so.

EDIT: As for the LP, I recommend you play until you reach Promotion 2, then start from here, treating the thing as a fast-forward.

Last edited:

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think X-PirateZ is not just a great mod, it's one of the best games I've ever played. Never a dull moment. Although newbies suggest you mod to make it a bit shorter, because playtime can be in the hundreds of hours (at least it was as of v.97 or so). Makes Long War seem like Mario with warp whistles.

lightbane

Arcane
If you can give examples how to mod to do so, it would be good, as I'm not sure how you can shorten it except by adding more money or something. Also, is there a way to change the terrible font text and the music? The combat music is terrible. These are my only complaints about the otherwise hilarious mod.

"new feature introduced and bug ironned out"

You cannot have both! Either bugfixes or new features... since new features always mean more bugs.

The way absolutely mundane things have to be researched are indeed weird. So far this has not been addressed appropriately. Like, having to research AKs and axes.

*ekhm*

2vqeOe3.png

If this is not addressing enough, then please enlighten me. :)

However, so far the worst problem is that I confirmed the mod IS NOT balanced for higher difficulties. I used to play at Veteran (I don't have to prove anything to anyone and waste my time in Superhuman mode), but it is obvious it was designed for xcom vanilla gear in mind. While most faction maps can be completed more or less fine, special scenarios pits you against over 40+ dudes or even more. Have fun fighting against half hundred zombies which are improved and armored compared to the "standard variety". Piratez is even worse, as some missions can have up to hundreds of enemies. Hence why I switched to Experienced, even if in exchange most missions seem easy. I also helped Solarius Scorch by reporting bugs and exploits I found and the like.

Well, to be honest it is as designed... I wanted to tone down some maps like Cult HQs, but Dioxine begged me not to. :) Well, if he enjoys these big battles, then maybe I shouldn't deprive everyone of them.

Also, is there a way to change the terrible font text and the music?

You can turn the music off and just play some YouTube. :)

As for the font in Piratez, what exactly is wrong with it? I've heard some complaints, but I just can't see how it's illegible.

lightbane

Arcane
ell, to be honest it is as designed... I wanted to tone down some maps like Cult HQs, but Dioxine begged me not to. :) Well, if he enjoys these big battles, then maybe I shouldn't deprive everyone of them.

There should be something in between "few enemies" in lowest difficulty levels and "ALL OF THEM" in the Veteran and above difficulty levels though.

You can turn the music off and just play some YouTube. :)

That's a shame then. Are there multiple "battle songs" or just the default one? Perhaps I'll install a mod or two to replace the music.

As for the font in Piratez, what exactly is wrong with it? I've heard some complaints, but I just can't see how it's illegible.

Early versions had a font color that was fine, but in recent ones the new color doesn't contrast enough with the background, which means you have to strain your eyes a little to read that purple text sometimes. I was exaggerating a bit before.

There should be something in between "few enemies" in lowest difficulty levels and "ALL OF THEM" in the Veteran and above difficulty levels though.

Duly noted.
Does the problem only concern HQs, or cult bases too?

That's a shame then. Are there multiple "battle songs" or just the default one? Perhaps I'll install a mod or two to replace the music.

Modding music is trivial. Just remember to not use mp3s, as OXC hates them. Oggs are a fail-safe solution.

Early versions had a font color that was fine, but in recent ones the new color doesn't contrast enough with the background, which means you have to strain your eyes a little to read that purple text sometimes. I was exaggerating a bit before.

I think it's a personal thing, but yeah, I can imagine it can be jarring.

lightbane

Arcane
Duly noted.
Does the problem only concern HQs, or cult bases too?

Depends, cult bases are generally okay despite having 30+ guys because sooner or later at least a quarter of them end up surrendering when your guys are slaughtering them non-stop, but HQ bases tend to have labyrinthine layouts, monster-like enemies immune to Morale or even both. I still have to do the Black Lotus one though.
I dunno how will the rest of the missions fare, as I stopped playing the point where hybrids and more supernatural creatures show up, although the MAGMA Lab mission is a nightmare in higher difficulties, as there are too many zombies and your guns usually aren't shooty enough to be up for the task.

Another thing to note is that since enemies are way more aggressive in Veteran and above, rare weapons/missions/gear have an higher chance of appearing, but it is compensated by the higher number of dudes to shoot at. It would be good to have a way to increase the chance of rare gear showing up in Experienced (ie: The Wildey pistol).

For now I'll wait until next version is uploaded before continuing the game, probably the same for Piratez.

Modding music is trivial. Just remember to not use mp3s, as OXC hates them. Oggs are a fail-safe solution.

Okay, I'll have that in mind.

I think it's a personal thing, but yeah, I can imagine it can be jarring.

Yeah, it is. Is there a way to manually alter the font size, or at least the color? It would help a lot IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom