Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO Extraterrestrials - Finale

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Black said:
Final thoughts on the game and its quality?

Well, I've played through it twice now. I sunk close to 50 hours into it, making this LP. I could've done it in less time, if I didn't take screenshots all the time, but still, 40+ hours of entertainment for 5€? I'd say it was worth it.
Then again, compared to Aftershock and Afterlight, this is a markedly inferior game.

It is purely turnbased which I like, but the art is meh, the aliens are sort of meh and the whole game just feels like it falls short of what it tries to be. It tries too much to be an update Enemy Unknown but fails to capture the charm of that game. Oh, and go watch the intro video again and listen to the voice acting.. I dare you. :M

If you've got a hankering for a turnbased alien killing simulator with xp, stat increases and weapons research, then I'd say it's worth the tiny pricetag. But again, I like Aftershock and Afterlight better.

Well done, teaches them not to mess with humies. What's in store next btw, you taking a break, restarting that mech lp or are you taking suggestions(Silent Storm)?

The end was pretty short indeed, they could have at least typed up a summary, it's not like you need a lot of vidias, people who finish this game shouldn't be huge graphics whores.

Btw how much harder would it have been without the maphack scanner :D

Drakron

Arcane
Its time to update your signature ... UFO Extraterrestrials, completed.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Desmodus Rotundus said:
What's in store next btw, you taking a break, restarting that mech lp or are you taking suggestions(Silent Storm)?

Btw how much harder would it have been without the maphack scanner :D

Right now I have nothing new planned. The mech lp had me annoyed sufficiently for me to cheat the soldier stats higher, then I went through the campaign on hard, still suffered casualties. The campaign wasn't that interesting, and I don't know if I can stomach trying to get through the game without cheating. Basically, that game continuously pits you against superior mechs in superior numbers, so you have to take every advantage you can get, just to get through the levels with just a single surviving mech. That had me surprised. :M
As to Silent Storm, I had plenty of fun playing that game way back when, but as far as I remember, the game won't run under Windows7, and it's also straddled with Starforce...
If not for those two obstacles, I might be convinced to do an LP..

The game would've been more tedious, as I'd have been forced into advancing more cautiously, so yes, it'd been harder. Mostly on my patience however. :smug: The game isn't terribly hard as it is. Sure, you can lose a lot of soldiers if you really don't pay attention, but if you play cautiously and always keep your soldiers in teams of 2 or more, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Drakron said:
Its time to update your signature ... UFO Extraterrestrials, completed.

Very much true! Thank you for reminding me. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yay! :clap: Congratulations on finishing another LP! I've greatly enjoyed it. Back to Metal Brigade Tactics now? :roll:

Any luck with the videos, by the way?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Crooked Bee said:
Yay! :clap: Congratulations on finishing another LP! I've greatly enjoyed it. Back to Metal Brigade Tactics now? :roll:

Any luck with the videos, by the way?

I'm letting Metal Brigade lie for a while. :M And as for the videos, nope. Haven't spent much time trying either. It was only two videos which aren't that important for the storyline, and since I did screenshots of them instead, I decided not to bother. :roll:

tindrli

Arcane
T13xK.jpg

i wonder if anyone can confirm me what is the last version of the game and what is the last version of this MUST HAVE mod and where to download it???

thanx in advance

p.d. i will need the same thing for afterlight

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I just bought the gold edition off of (shudder) Steam...

The gold edition comes with the B-man mod already installed, so you should be good to go. :M

tindrli

Arcane
Azira said:
I just bought the gold edition off of (shudder) Steam...

The gold edition comes with the B-man mod already installed, so you should be good to go. :M

yep.. i was too stupid to ask before i even start the game.. anyway thats the one

thanx

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Metal Brigade isn't much to cheer about, agreed. I bought it on a whim and decided to LP it. I didn't know at the time about the ridiculous difficulty unless you play the maps exactly as the developers intended though. I have toyed with the thought of "rebooting" the LP with cheated stats, just to show the different maps and how ridiculous it all gets. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Desmodus Rotundus said:
What's in store next btw, you taking a break, restarting that mech lp or are you taking suggestions(Silent Storm)?

Silent Storm, I had plenty of fun playing that game way back when, but as far as I remember, the game won't run under Windows7, and it's also straddled with Starforce...
If not for those two obstacles, I might be convinced to do an LP..

I just saw this...

Not making any promises, but tempted. Oh yes. Tempted... :troll:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not tonight I'm afraid. Have done the first mission (meaning I've chosen sides and made the main character :troll: ), but now I've got 200 screenshots and two videos to edit and write comments to, in addition to all the other stuff one types in the first post of an LP. :roll:

Does anyone who reads this know if it's possible to change the names of the hirable companions, and if so, how? The LP would be more enjoyable if people could call dibs on them, so I could add fellow codexers to the party. :love:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Time is the holdup. I don't have much of it with two young'uns and a wife to please. But I hope to get the LP started around this weekend.

Plus, if I found out how to edit those names, then fellow codexers could be shooting allied soldiers together with the Angry Codexer dude, and wouldn't that be awesomesauce? :troll:

eklektyk

Erudite
there was some sort of editor or somethingies like that... but what do i know? prob got alzheimer and thingies...maybe i confuze it with something other game??

and before i forget as i always do : The Brazilian Slaughter there ...now i can try what else i forgot...

laclongquan

Arcane
I am currently replay this very flawed gem. Much worse than UFO Aftershock or Afterlight, but when you played both AS and AL to death...

Grayfiend mod rather than the Bman mod.

It's slightly less tedious than the last attempt (Bman)> I am not sure if it's the Grayfiend thing, or that I am better at playing this game.

Sorry for the resurrection of dead thread but Strategycore is like a zombie, and so few other place to rant about this game.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mind you, I'd need two things first;
1) Actually buying the game.
2) Devoting the time to playing the game and making the LP.

Still haven't tackled number 1. Too much shit going on right now, so my escape is Rimworld. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom