Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: WH40k Chaos Gate - Looking for new recruits!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Latest Update: 25 April 2013

Our struggle is born with Chaos. The same Chaos that ten millennia ago seduced nine Lords and their Space Marine Legions, casting the Imperium into rebellion and civil war. Only the boldness of the Emperor and his remaining Space Marine forces drove the dark hordes into the Eye of Terror.
For a millennium times ten they have lurked there, emerging to mount their campaigns against the Imperium. And now, more powerful than ever, the Chaos forces of the Dark Lord Zymran strike the very heart of the Imperium.

That's right, I've got Chaos Gate (mostly) working on Win98SE on VirtualPC2007.
m1mage001.jpg
Without further ado, we start a new campaign.
m1mage002.jpg
m1mage003.jpg
I'm going on the regular "Veteran" difficulty as I haven't played this game before past the first 3 maps IIRC. There are two other difficulty levels: An easier mode and a harder mode. The last level on the screen is the same difficulty as the hard, but with Iron Man settings.
Don't worry, I will essentially be playing Iron Man style. It's more fun that way, anyway.

THE BATTLE REPORTS
Lastly... RECRUITS!
m10mage004.jpg
Enter your application with your desired callsign and squad. Squads II through VI are Tactical Squads. Squad VII are Assault Marines equipped with jump-packs, and Squad VIII is the heavy weapon Devastator Squad. The eminent Squad I is composed of our brothers in Tactical Dreadnought Armor.
But you should already know this, having memorized the Codex Astartes. Right? :smug:

LIST OF RECRUITS
HQ
Captain "Mangoose" Kruger - In Reserve - Mangoose
Chaplain _____ - In Statis -
Apothecary Azira - Azira
Apothecary Orange - Veteran
Tech-Marine Mac Gyvius - lightbane
Librarian "The Commissar" - Commissar Draco
Librarian _____ - In Statis -
Librarian _____ - In Statis -
Squad I - "Terminatus"
Brother Jack - Mighty Hero - TripJack
Brother Smashing Axe - Mighty Hero - Smashing Axe
Brother Podex Pistor - Mighty Hero - anus_pounder
Brother Oscar - Mighty Hero - oscar
Brother Yeesh - Mighty Hero - Yeesh
Squad II - "Milites Inclina"
Sergeant Gondolin - Mighty Hero - Gondolin
Brother Garfunkel - Mighty Hero - GarfunkeL - 1 Teamkill
Brother Hellenius - Hero - Helly
Sergeant Ollanius - Veteran - Dayyālu
Brother Hefjastos - Veteran - eklektyk
Squad III - Disbanded
Squad IV - Folded into Squad II
Squad V -
Sergeant _____
Squad VI -
Squad VII - "The Emperor's Hellraisers"
Sergeant Hellraiser - Hero - Hellraiser
Brother Toastboy - Hero - good little toastboy
Brother Slaughter - Mighty Hero - The Brazilian Slaughter
Brother Ungern - Hero - CaptainAwesome
Squad VIII - "Havoc"
Sergeant Janus - Mighty Hero - GreyViper
Brother Boris - Mighty Hero - Boris
Brother Overboard - Mighty Hero - Overboard
Brother K. Slips - Mighty Hero - Kashmir Slippers
Brother Lindblum II - Hero - Lindblum
In Memory
Brother Lindblum - Squad VIII - While rushing to support his comrades, he was caught in the open by a Chaos Marine wielding a heavy bolter. - Lindblum
Brother Eklektyk - Squad VII - Stabbed in the back by a craven Chaos Marine. - eklektyk
Brother-Librarian Draco - Victim of cowardly grenade spam - Commissar Draco
Brother Helly - Squad VII - Fell short of luck dueling a Berzerker - Helly
Sergeant Timoleon - Squad III - Succumbed to burns supporting the offensive into a heavily defended hallway. - Dayyālu
Brother-Captain Root - Squad I - Played with fire, got burned - root
Brother Storyfag - Storyfag - Died a Mighty Hero
Brother Awesome - Hero - CaptainAwesome - Died a Hero
Brother Goku - Hero - KidBoogie - Died a Hero
Tech-Marine Juden - Corporate_Jew_Master - Died a Veteran

Rejected
Tindrli - Reason: Tranny - tindrli

What are these Honor Badges?
Achieveme-- Sorry. Badges awarded to characters that do awesome shit to the physical bodies of the enemy faction.

Crux Terminatus: Awarded to Marines that have been promoted to Veteran and has scored five kills in any single mission. (Thanks, Dayyālu)

Marksman's Honor: Hit ten targets during one mission. (I'm assuming different targets. If it does, strategically it'd be best to split shots, though that will conflict with target priority due to variance of accuracy. Probably won't micromanage this any real way).

Imperial Laurel: The character that meets the mission objectives receives this. Perhaps there can be more than one objective. (Basically this is for the strategic layer. I need to keep track of which Marine needs the most exp and have him perform the objective. Of course, if the objective is dangerous and requires speedy and specialized operation while outmaneuvering enemy pursuers, the mission itself is the higher strategic priority)

Purity Seal: Awarded to any character that completes five missions without failing any break tests. I haven't actually read about this in the manual at this point, but I assume it refers to morale in terms of perhaps some reaction roll after a company-mate, or perhaps more importantly, squad-mate death. Or maybe it's just a unit's reaction to its own damage. (It will be interesting to see if anyone has one of these. Also, at this point in 40k rules, Ultramarines don't break morale - in general terms)

The Manual

Replacementdocs is your friend.

Errata

Comments, concerns, criticisms, and advice are all greatly appreciated. I'm here to entertain and to improve my writing skills. :)

So Far I've learned that...
  • Chaos loves grenades. And I should too. No-heresy.
  • I really don't have that many men in reserve, especially talent ones...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
--- BATTLE REPORT I ---

Our Crusade is finished in triumph, yet the struggle has left my forces depleted and under strength. Our supplies are running low. Yet we do not journey home, for I have come into possession of information that a relic predating even the Horus Heresy is to be found on Lliira, second moon of Chimera II. We travel there now, for if the relic is what I believe it to be, it can prove invaluable to our struggle against Chaos and its traitors. Even undermanned we shall not defer this quest.

Our fortune is that we still bear with us, five Brother Terminators from the 1st Company. And I have ordered my remanining Ultramarines to reconfigure themselves into five-man combat squads. It is my hope that this shall be enough.

Whatever we may face, we make course for the Chimera system.

m1mage004.jpg
Welcome to the bridge deck, Ultramarine. Proceed forward and receive the briefing for today's mission.
m1mage005.jpg
m1mage006.jpg
m1mage007.jpg
m1mage008.jpg
The Company overview. From here I can select the squad(s) to configure and deploy.
m1mage009.jpg
I decide to give Brother Alarbus a Heavy Bolter, as recommended. That's all we need to do for the first mission, so we deploy!
- - -​
You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.
m1mage010.jpg
Brother Crixus, Sergeant of Second Squad.
m1mage011.jpg
As briefed, there are is only a light defense of mortal Cultists. I order the squad to stand on Overwatch and thin out the horde.
m1mage012.jpg
m1mage013.jpg
The plan works well, and we move towards the entrance of the Temple.
m1mage014.jpg
m1mage015.jpg
A Traitor Marine! Alarbus, destroy him!
m1mage016.jpg
m1mage017.jpg
Alarbus: Through the destruction of our enemies do we earn our salvation!
m1mage019.jpg
Another!
m1mage020.jpg
But he dies just as easily.
Time to move in.
m1mage021.jpg
m1mage022.jpg
This hallway is clear. I decide on the right pathway.
m1mage023.jpg
m1mage024.jpg
Another Marine of the Traitor Legion! Concentrate fire!
m1mage025.jpg
True justice is quite simply the will of the Emperor.
m1mage026.jpg
Brothers, the relic lies before us on the foul Chaos altar.
m1mage027.jpg
A lone renegade defends the relic. I shake my head. This is not how it is written in the Codex Astartes.
m1mage028.jpg
m1mage029.jpg
This half of the relic is ours, Brother Captain. Requesting Thunderhawk pickup.
m1mage030.jpg
Brother Alarbus is promoted. Congratulations, Brother.

GreyViper

Prophet
GreyViper reporting in as Brother Janus, serving in Squad VIII Devastator Squad as sergeant. Weapon of choice either shoulder mounted heavy bolter or Lascannon for sniping. Because believe it or not, for some reason lascannon can one or two shot most in this game IF it can hit it.

@Commissar Draco I think Librarian is the one you can get, I don't recall Chaplain.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Welcome, Brothers Draco and Janus.

From ze manual:

There are ten Special Characters, one Captain, one Chaplain, two Apothecaries, two Techmarines, and Four Librarians.

So you are good, Chaplain Draco.

GreyViper I already finished Mission 2 so you'll be in afterwards.

GreyViper

Prophet
There are ten Special Characters, one Captain, one Chaplain, two Apothecaries, two Techmarines, and Four Librarians.

So you are good, Chaplain Draco.

GreyViper I already finished Mission 2 so you'll be in afterwards.
Thanx for pointing out, they most come in later missions then.

As to the movie, gah roots LPs had twice as interesting plot compared to this one.:roll:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh yeah, I'm planning on painting a Chaos Space Marines tabletop army.

This would be my first, though not my first attempt. First attempt was Eldar, but I left for two months of travel and then when I came back, I lost enthusiasm for 40k. Second attempt was an Ork biker army, but painting Orks wasn't that fun. Hopefully third time's the charm.

I'm thinking a Slaaneshi-corrupted Night Lords warband.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Applying for Apothecary duty. :salute:

I could never get the game to work properly, and thus haven't played the game past the first map. Will follow this with interest.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I succesfully played Chaos Gate several times on a WinXP machine.
How, I still ask myself. It's like a roulette of trying several different solutions, and sometimes it even works.

Reporting for Duty, of course. Brother Timoleon, Squad Sergeant, III Squad.If thou wish, send me serving as a simple BATTHEL BROTHAZ in a active Squad, instead of me sitting in the Cruiser doing nothing.

Will you do all the 'extra missions'? Being randomly generated they are sometimes quite letal, but a great way to obtain some toys and kills.

And, the best Class is Librarian. Chaplains do nothing, Techmarine are gimmicks, Apothecaries are sometimes useful, the Cap't is given to you in the last mission and he's underpowered to the level of being useless.

A Lib, on the other hand, can use the 'Haste'-like power and crush dozens of enemies. He can use Vortex and obliterate scores of Chaos Termies, even Vehicles, in a single move. Lib powers are...kinda of broken.

lightbane

Arcane
Oh my gosh, Chaos Gate!!! :bounce:
Emperor knows how many times I tried to make this game work (and failed). Still, a lp is better than nothing. I wish to enlish as Brother Mac Gyvius the Techmarine (weapon of choice being the melta-gun if possible, I loved that weapon in Dark Heresy). If that's not possible and/or you feel it is underpowered, then Brother Powergameon as a Devastator from the VIIIth Squad (armed with a heavy flamer or a heavy bolter).

Dayyālu

Arcane
So, It is indeed sad to realize that many Codexers never succeded in making CG work. Sure, it is a XCom clone, but with a flavour of his own.

Chaos Gate is a temperamental game.Using VirtualPC is a good way, but I'll link the main forum for the 'Trying to get CG work in XP'

http://www.compatdb.org/forums/topic/24133-warhammer-40k-chaos-gate-on-xp-help/

As, for me, after countless tries, I succeded doing this (copy-pasted from the forum):

1. Enable Windows 95 compatibility mode for SETUP.EXE on the CD (right-click the file, Compatibility tab).
2. Install game using SETUP.EXE, making sure to install the game to the default directory (C:\Program Files\RandomGames\Chaos Gate).
3. Install 1.2 patch.
4. Move the C:\Program Files\RandomGames\Chaos Gate directory to C:\Chaos (or any other directory name that has 8 or less letters and no spaces).
5. Make sure that compatibility mode is NOT ENABLED for C:\Chaos\WH40K.exe.
6.Crush the Heretics.

Disabling Cultist Laspistols seems also a solution-
http://www.compatdb.org/forums/topic/46630-wh40k-chaos-gate-solution-to-the-cultist-bug/

I discovered that if a specific enemy death caused a crash, somethimes 'Vortexing' them seemed to do the trick- erasing them somehow from the game helped. Not sure if this was the real cause, however. Is Windows 7 more stable for CG?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I have no desire to try again on native 7. I used those XP steps before which took away most of the bugs unreliably, but still had graphics issues.

I'm using Virtual PC 2007 (<- version is important), with Windows 98 SE installed on it, and (also important) no Virtual Machine Additions installed (the VMAs add graphics bugs). Runs flawlessly.

TripJack

Hedonist
Techmarine Jack reporting for duty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom