Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: WH40k Chaos Gate - Looking for new recruits!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As a TB game it was nothing special but it was special in being TB tactical game set in WH40K; for this setting alone I was able to play my least liked genres like RTSs and FPSs so if someone will make game with Inquisitional STs, Imperial Guard or Adpepta Arbites it will be: :mhd:Just Imagine You lead a precinct in the hive in which chaos and xeno activity start to rise: you purge them and try to find the source before the Inquisition will put exterminatus on your ass; you get prestige from successful missions and get cool archeotech and resources from other adeptas and planetary governor... X-COM in WH40K.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I enjoy reading about the story progression, as I've never played the game myself. I also enjoy watching the squad getting upgrades and whatnot.
About the individual missions, I enjoy reading about the differences between them, and the critical ones are entertaining as well.

I don't need nor want a step by step LP. If I were to offer a piece of advice, it would be this:
Take screenshots for each and every round. Take many more screenshots than you intend to work into the LP. After playing through a mission, then you sort through the shots taken and pick and choose the ones that highlight the amusing/critical decisions/mistakes.
I know from my own LPs, that if I don't commit to taking a lot of screenshots, afterwards I might regret missing a couple of screenshots which could've made the LP more interesting.

And finally, doing and LP is mostly about yourself. If you don't enjoy making the LP, you shouldn't.
You get further satisfaction if your readers acknowledge your effort, so feedback is nice. But ultimately, your enjoyment is what matters. Not your readers'.

:salute:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I enjoy reading about the story progression, as I've never played the game myself. I also enjoy watching the squad getting upgrades and whatnot.
About the individual missions, I enjoy reading about the differences between them, and the critical ones are entertaining as well.
Gotcha, thanks!

I don't need nor want a step by step LP. If I were to offer a piece of advice, it would be this:
Take screenshots for each and every round. Take many more screenshots than you intend to work into the LP. After playing through a mission, then you sort through the shots taken and pick and choose the ones that highlight the amusing/critical decisions/mistakes.
I know from my own LPs, that if I don't commit to taking a lot of screenshots, afterwards I might regret missing a couple of screenshots which could've made the LP more interesting.
Thanks. Actually I did do that, Irfanview taking a screenshot every few seconds lol. That actually turned into a bit of tedium to sift through the screenshots. What is your method of taking screenshots so that you don't have a thousand to go through?

It sounds like I should definitely avoid play-by-play unless it's something amusing/critical/blunder. I think what I'll do when describing the plan is to draw some fun stuff in MSPaint ;)

And finally, doing and LP is mostly about yourself. If you don't enjoy making the LP, you shouldn't.
You get further satisfaction if your readers acknowledge your effort, so feedback is nice. But ultimately, your enjoyment is what matters. Not your readers'.

:salute:
Yes, I enjoyed it, but it was mostly the game that burnt me out, mostly because I did almost all the optional missions. Also, as above, I would appreciate further advice on screenshot taking.

Also I'm going to rebind some keys on my G13 to make it easier to switch elevation and shit. By Guilliman does this game make you change elevation a lot.

As a TB game it was nothing special but it was special in being TB tactical game set in WH40K
Also the voice acting is great!

I like its minimal strategy layer. I'm the type of guy that usually plays a specific genre on purpose, and games with both strategy and tactical layers sometimes affect my enjoyment while I play. I'm weird. Happens in Total War, too. I just get in the mood for tactics and I don't want to deal with strategy, or vice versa. Note I'm not at all saying anything negative about games that do have both layers. Gonna play some more Total War (well, King Arthur) myself right now.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Actually my main enjoyment is watching Codexers get killed.

It happens in my other games but I don't get to share it with the world. For me, this is simply an extension of schadenfraude.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've used FRAPS for all my LPs. For the turn-based ones, I've tried to screenshot every shot and/or movement that was important, in each round, but also failed at this. I was more attentive in the first couple of missions, while I was busy explaining the mechanics of the game. Later on, I usually dialled down on the screenshots. Which made me miss out on documenting some things.
I'd never even considered setting a program to automatically take a screenshot every x seconds. That'd be tedious as hell to sort through.

I've usually had about 150-200 screenshots taken after a session of playing, then shaved them down by maybe 50. I found that to be a good number to show meaningful progression in the LPs I did.

Tastes are different though. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, and is not too tedious. That should be key. :salute:

And yes, watching codexers die is high on my entertainment meter as well. :smug:

eklektyk

Erudite
killin/reading amusing/grousome death of codex namesakes is most of fun in any proper codex LP
and if u havin fun playin and writing them then we have fun readin

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I've used FRAPS for all my LPs. For the turn-based ones, I've tried to screenshot every shot and/or movement that was important, in each round, but also failed at this. I was more attentive in the first couple of missions, while I was busy explaining the mechanics of the game. Later on, I usually dialled down on the screenshots. Which made me miss out on documenting some things.
I'd never even considered setting a program to automatically take a screenshot every x seconds. That'd be tedious as hell to sort through.

I've usually had about 150-200 screenshots taken after a session of playing, then shaved them down by maybe 50. I found that to be a good number to show meaningful progression in the LPs I did.

Tastes are different though. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, and is not too tedious. That should be key. :salute:

And yes, watching codexers die is high on my entertainment meter as well. :smug:
FRAPS and rewatching sounds like a good plan. I can write while I rewatch, too. :bro:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I started tabletop gaming lol :(

And, no, not 40k. Infinity, actually, which is squad level and thus is distracting me from this type of video game.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I can't be assed to replay half the missions (or more? I remember encountering daemons in a couple missions already).

But. I have Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and 40k Sanctus Reach. Which (if either) would you be interested in an LP in?

Side note: Would it be interesting if I recorded racing sessions from a sim, with a TrackIR (basically separates the camera, or your vision, from where you're actually 'aiming'. Instead of, say, holding down a free-look key). It's really really useful for ARMA.

I can't be assed to replay half the missions (or more? I remember encountering daemons in a couple missions already).

But. I have Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and 40k Sanctus Reach. Which (if either) would you be interested in an LP in?

Side note: Would it be interesting if I recorded racing sessions from a sim, with a TrackIR (basically separates the camera, or your vision, from where you're actually 'aiming'. Instead of, say, holding down a free-look key). It's really really useful for ARMA.

Battlefleet Gothic.

Multiplayer, make up a scenario as you go along.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Sanctus Reach.

I've already finished BF Gothic and while a very good game, it's not very LPable as repetition is high and plot missions few. Just a focused version could work, of course, cutting the bloat.

If you want a Chaos Gate save, I could provide one in two weeks. I love Chaos Gate. I could even start again the LP, but I don't have the time for writing one down now.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Fucketh me, Sanctus graphics and UI are worse than Chaos Gate. I really can't distinguish if units without the overhead icons. And none of these game options are configurable it seems, so I can't, say, "toggle HP icons on without needing to mouseover." And the aiming system.. lol.. I mean it works fine, but it feels a generation old.

But I will trek on and see maybe new abilities/units that make a difference. I did like the addition of terrain that effects movement (e.g. rough terrain), that's very tabletop and in general terrain mechanics one of the chief priorities in a tactical game.

Anyways, just some firsteh impressions and short-term rage at the UI.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I'll wait to do Sanctus Reach until they make the UI/map/units easier to distinguish. Besides what I mentioned in the previous post, the beginning maps are fighting Orks... on green foggy maps... and they don't texture the Orks to be more easily distinguishable.

Aiming system is fine, I dunno what I was talking about there.

I mean, gameplay-wise, the game is great. But it's clunkier/more tedious than it needs to be. For example, there's no way to see health bars unless you mouse over a unit, which is annoying. I found it hard to tell if I actually wiped out a unit of Gretchins, or if there were one or two Gretchins still breathing.

I'm sure they'll deal with it in the near future, but til then I'll hold back, I guess. Or if someone makes a good SweetFX/Reshade preset.

Now, besides Battlefleet Gothic, I could also do a LP/CYOA of the "Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion" game in the meantime.

Or maybe a run-through of DOW2 Chaos Rising? Perhaps with a mod that increases squad sizes. You can actually choose to turn to Chaos or not, which I could let the audience decide. Actually, it's co-opable so it would be interesting for two players to contribute to the same LP.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Or maybe a run-through of DOW2 Chaos Rising? Perhaps with a mod that increases squad sizes. You can actually choose to turn to Chaos or not, which I could let the audience decide. Actually, it's co-opable so it would be interesting for two players to contribute to the same LP.

I would be up for it, but I work at night (Security services) so my openings are all fucked up. What's your location?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for the long wait. Hold on Dayyālu I'll address you after I address

Sanctus Reach

I think I can play Sanctus Reach without a headache, since the scripts are modifiable* and while very little have been documented and more scripting "options" are always being added/found, so that we can't have hp bars without mousing over a target...

In any case, I will need names as I can do custom names for units, not sure if I'll wait for another patch (which if on schedule would come in early May) because...

I found ways to get around the annoyance of distinguishing Orks from a terrain of green muddiness. Because there are various lighting scripts for various maps, and thus I can copy over those options (which can affect saturation of individual RGB and ambient lighting). Or I can just delete the lighting file from that specific map and then it runs in default. Or if I'm patient, the lighting in other maps are fine.

I'm sorry, but I really dislike tedium if it can be avoided. Having to mouse over tiles a lot is tedium, and you'd need to do that not only obviously to identify the unit and its current hp and morale, but also to fucking figure out if that unit of Gretchin are dead or are down simply to like 2 living Gretchin that look like corpses.

You can basically compare this to a climactic action scene in a film that is set in a really dark storm with rain every-fucking-where.

*Well, one of the top priorities of the game is modification. There is an intention of a lot of custom campaigns. They had a contest before on mod-making, and there is planned an online in-game accessible repository of custom campaigns people upload.

Oh and a Weirdboy addition and campaign just came out as a DLC. Not sure how good it is, but it is cheap and it has more content than just a single unit.

--

Oh yeah, the other option is that someone added/found an attribute that can change unit scaling. So even if it's a muggy map, you can distinguish units more easierly.

Plus add some SweetFX to give a bit of contrast and of course SMAA because post-processed injected SMAA is immensely low in performance hit compared to even multisampling, even on "ultra" settings. If I use SweetFX I'll turn turn off in-game AA, seriously

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So I guess I'll make a new post for Sancuts Reach? Because I can put custom names. I may wait for another patch, it seems like once a month. But I do tolerate it now.

Next,

I would be up for it, but I work at night (Security services) so my openings are all fucked up. What's your location?
I'm Eastern Time Zone (UTC - 4:00). But I've played it a lot already, and there's no time limit, so we can always play a map at a time or something. I dunno if you've played Chaos Rising, but the biggest reason to play it is... Steve Blum.

On that note I have yet to co-op good jack shit in forever and it pisses me off. Played DOSEE with a friend for a session and for some damn reason he wasn't interested. We hadn't even left to the environs of Cyseal yet, and while the Cyseal area is better than the rest of the game, the quests are not limited to the city, or they take you out of the city. Though one annoying part is that dual dialogue is rare, so if there is a dialogue usually the other player can simply "spectate." Sadly this was inevitable, since it'd not be feasible to make every dialogue give options to both. Even without considering VA.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Man I wish there was a Silent Storm-esque 40k game, or in other words an updated Chaos Gate. For some reason Silent Storm is my limit for graphics. Maybe because pixels can give me nausea, outside of slow, easy stuff like JRPGs. In Chaos Gate it's easy for me to miss a detail (or a unit :|).

Space Hulk (Ascension) doesn't count, because that's limited to quite specific tactics (not a lot of room for maneuver tactics).

For some reason "Templar Battleforce" looks like a Space Hulk clone but apparently it has a variety of map types.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm GMT+1. We can work with that. If you can stand my terrible english accent, of course. Mamma mia

Don't worry about my experience playing DoW2. I've finished all of them (Retribution with all the species) at Primarch difficulty. Autism, you see.
I'd vote against playing it at a higher difficulty level though, it all ends up in playing just Cyrus and the others are merely a sideshow. I'm not joking, Primarch difficulty is Cyrus central for obvious reasons. Plus it's merely a bonus on enemy damage, not more interesting fights or else.

Tbh, the original DoW2 is borderline unplayable ("boss fight" design) but Chaos Rising is very nicely done with some C&C. Retribution is weirdly my favourite, merely for the options you are given and for some funnies (HAT, IG campaign). I'd bet we can find a hole when we can both play, despite, well, jobs.

For some reason "Templar Battleforce" looks like a Space Hulk clone but apparently it has a variety of map types.

Templar Battleforce is very nice, if small and amateurish. There are countless new WH40k games, but many evade my sight because.... they breed like rabbits, I swear.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm GMT+1. We can work with that.
I don't know (or forgot?) your username on Steam but I'm easily found in Codex Diversity Squad as, surprise, Mangoose! Just pm me if I'm on, if I don't reply quickly I'm probably not at my computer.

(Unless you're Konjad)

Don't worry about my experience playing DoW2. I've finished all of them (Retribution with all the species) at Primarch difficulty. Autism, you see.
I'd vote against playing it at a higher difficulty level though, it all ends up in playing just Cyrus and the others are merely a sideshow. I'm not joking, Primarch difficulty is Cyrus central for obvious reasons. Plus it's merely a bonus on enemy damage, not more interesting fights or else.

Tbh, the original DoW2 is borderline unplayable ("boss fight" design) but Chaos Rising is very nicely done with some C&C. Retribution is weirdly my favourite, merely for the options you are given and for some funnies (HAT, IG campaign). I'd bet we can find a hole when we can both play, despite, well, jobs.
Yeah CR was the best. Dat C&C. I remember one of them distinctly, the "gate" one that I don't want to spoil.

I never played Vanilla, not sure I have the urge. I didn't like Retribution mostly because the campaigns, encounter-wise, were almost the same.

Can't remember what mode(s) I played DoW2 in. All I remember is that I wanted "faithfully Codex" sized squads so... Well, it was cool, but man were there a lot of dead bodies.

If you can stand my terrible english accent, of course. Mamma mia
I still sound like a nerdy high schooler. "Still" because I am more than a decade older than that but whatever. Then again, I had this voice changing software and I was able to create a decent Space Marine (with vox) voice while playing Eternal Crusade. Maybe I still have it around. Wait, probably not since my hard drives have been through some... trouble in recent years (by "trouble" I mean breaking/bending SATA data pins... and I've always built computers for myself, and built ~a hundred when doing part time IT work at a uni while studying at the uni, because we replaced all the computers in the Engineering library floor. 600 divided between... 4 of us? (Not that it was hard, of course, being barebones library computers).

And yet I always break my own shit. I made a promise to never try overclocking again and I hope I keep that promise. Have a feeling I may have killed some mobo capacitors already. Being Chinese (aka an Asian Jew) means I always buy bang-for-the-buck. So yeah....

Templar Battleforce is very nice, if small and amateurish.
What I meant was that I thought it was corridor-y, like in a Space Hulk, but from reviews it seems like there are open areas. I don't mind amatuerish, tbh, because these recent year(s) amateurs have been making some nice turn-based tactics games (that are finally better looking than Wesnoth or Telepath Tactics lol). I really need to stop being lazy and try Warbands Bushido.

There are countless new WH40k games, but many evade my sight because.... they breed like rabbits, I swear.
Yeah... there's a Panzer General clone (like, please, I'd rather just play the original Panzer(s) or even Fantasy Wars) and then there's 40k BattleChess. I don't know what goes on with Slitherine because they started out making faithful Bloodbowl, then Space Hulk, and now a tabletop wargameish 40k even if not the same phase mechanics. I wonder if GW suddenly realized that video games with DLC sell better than overpriced miniatures. While still making those miniatures of course.

Actually I have this weird thought that a direct video game adaptation of 40k would be bad because the tabletop mechanics leave... a lot to be desired. I've only enjoyed Infinity (shoutout to Vaarna_Aarne) and maybe would enjoy Warmachine if I felt like playing it. (The video game adaptation for Warmachine sucks for single player though, btw, and I don't have the balls to play it online given that in tabletop it's custom to lose every Warmachine game you play for your first few months)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay, so, I am still undecided when to start Sanctus Reach. The reason?

They are still releasing monthly patches that are actually good. Lol.

1.0.17 was just released:

As promised we are releasing the 1.0.17 update today. It is quite a big patch, containing (among other things) a much enhanced AI and new difficulty levels!

We are also releasing an option for you to download and install player-made scenarios directly from the game! Right now we have five new scenarios available for free – they were made during the editor contest we ran some time ago. Try them, they are amazing! We are looking forward to setting up a system for all of you to send us your scenarios, so be on the lookout for that. We hope to have plenty of extra scenarios available in the near future!
Like, shit, I'll wait to play if they keep making improvements.

---

Good news, though. Dayyālu and I have started co-oping 40k Chaos Rising and I've got the first two missions recorded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom