Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's play the Wizardry series (Currently at Wizardry 4 in a separate thread!)

We'll start with the SNES version of Wizardry I-III (aka Story of Llylgamyn). The remake is originally in Japanese, but there's a translation patch we're going to use.

00wiz003.png

TABLE OF CONTENTS
WIZARDRY I
(with an all-evil game developer party)
Intro
Character creation
Buying stuff
Floor 1, Part 1: The basics
Floor 1, Part 2: Leveling up
Floor 1, Part 3: Murphy's Ghost
Epic fails, Episode 1
Floor 2
Floor 3
Floor 4, Part 1
Floor 4, Part 2
Resting up
Floors 5 and 6
Floors 7 and 8
Floor 9
Floor 10: End of the line

WIZARDRY IV (Trebor sux!)
See the separate W4 thread!

(The Codex needs a Wizardry series LP akin to Elzair's Ultima one, don't we?)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I apologise beforehand for the silliness that follows. I was really drunk last night when typing all this.

Intro: If you don't come to the dungeon

One fine December day saw a group of RPG developers mysteriously vanish from their offices.

Todd, Pete, Chris, Josh, Mike and David -- where are they now?

darkness.png

Nothing but darkness.
That's when it started.

du1.jpg
Mic test, mic test! This is an announcement!

laidlaw2.png
Huh? Mike test? Did someone call my name?

du1.jpg
Is this thing on? They can hear me, right?

mca2.png

du1.jpg
Ehh... in any case...

du1.jpg
New blood. I welcome you all!

gaider2.png
And welcome he did.

josh2.png
What's this? Where are we?

pete2.png
It's dark here, man. My radiant glasses aren't working.

todd2.png
Neither are mine. Who are you, voice?

du1.jpg
The name's Mad Underlord. Welcome to my Proving Grounds. Incidentally, welcome to Dungeon Design 101.

pete2.png
Fuuu, man, back to school?

todd2.png
Booring.

gaider2.png
And run he d--

du1.jpg
There's nowhere to run to, I'm afraid. The only way you can escape is by graduating.

laidlaw2.png
So where's the GRADUATE button, then?

du1.jpg
To graduate, you'll need to survive the Proving Grounds.

todd2.png
Action? Why didn't you say so right from the start? It's exciting. I'm in!

du1.jpg
That means you'll have to act as a party -- as a team -- from now on. The roles you take are, of course, up to you.

gaider2.png
Can I role-play a homosexual elven assassin? A hot one, of course.

laidlaw2.png
If Gaider's about to start role-playing a gay assassin again, I want out.

gaider2.png
Out of the closet? *winks*

laidlaw2.png
No! Just out. It's dark in here, but I thought I saw you wink. *shudders*

josh2.png
True, too dark to see in here. We won't survive in the dark. Can't even see the ironsights.

du1.jpg
Light, please.

wireframe1.jpg

du3.png
Should be better now.

todd3.png
Better? You kidding?

pete3.png
My glasses, man!

gaider3.png
How am I supposed to role-play a hot assassin, looking like this!?

mca3.png

laidlaw3.png
At least give us graphics! Please?

todd3.png
Graphics is the most important thing!

pete3.png
Can't role-play without the graphics, man.

du3.png
Graphics? Hmm. Popamole. But if you insist.

du2.jpg
Better now?

pete.png
Much better, man!

du2.jpg
Good. There are 8 classes: Fighter, Mage, Priest, Thief, Bishop, Ninja, Lord, and Samurai. Can't be the last three right from the beginning, though; gotta earn it first.

du2.jpg
The available races are Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Hobbit, or Human. You must also choose the alignment...

todd1.png
I wanna kill things!

du2.jpg
...but I guess it's pretty obvious in your case. *smirks*

todd1.png
Sounds complicated. Just... get on with it!

laidlaw1.png
Yeah, bring it on. We're ready.

du2.jpg
Wonderful. Time to get started.

00wiz003.png

josh.png
Looks peaceful.

mca1.png
All peace is but an illusion, Josh.

00wiz005.png

mca1.png
What was peaceful but a moment ago, is now ominous. Think on that, Josh.

laidlaw1.png
Hey, it says push a button! Lemme, lemme!

_DU_proving.jpg

du2.jpg
A moment, please... Here, I've chosen the scenario appropriate for your level.

laidlaw1.png
And what's our level?

du2.jpg
It's level one.

laidlaw1.png
Oh.

Character creation incoming shortly.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So the party is:

Mike Laidlaw
David Gaider
Pete Hines
Todd Howard
Josh Sawyer
Chris Avellone

But there are five classes. So two of them will be the same class, but maybe shall diversify later, right?

grotsnik

Arcane
Think the pic of 'Mike Laidlaw' is actually one of the Bioware marketing people, isn't it?

But awesome.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Ulminati said:

Aww that's awesome! I'll edit it in right away!

grotsnik said:
Think the pic of 'Mike Laidlaw' is actually one of the Bioware marketing people, isn't it?

Really? Eh well, whatever. :P

Wyrmlord said:
So two of them will be the same class, but maybe shall diversify later, right?

Yep.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Character creation

00wiz003.png

Welcome to Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn, a SNES remake of the first three Wizardry games featuring much better graphics yet the same old gameplay -- a happy combination. Presumably, it also has the option of importing the party to the next scenario, although I haven't yet tested it out, having only played the DOS version previously.

00wiz006.png

Naturally, we start with Wizardry I.

intro.jpg

00wiz010.png
00wiz011.png

The remake is originally in Japanese, but we set everything to English as well as apply the translation patch. I can only hope there are no game-breaking bugs or anything.

00wiz012.png
00wiz015.png

At the start, only Gilgamesh's Tavern and Edge of Town are available. The tavern lets you add existing characters to the party and inspect them, but we haven't created any characters yet, so we must go to the Edge of Town first...

00wiz017.png

...and from there, to Training Grounds.

00wiz018.png

Here, all the options are probably self-explanatory except for Change class. The thing is, when and if a character meets a number of specific stat requirements, he can change his class to any other. Doing so inflicts some penalties...

- You incur a four to seven year age penalty. This is to reflect the fact that you have to retrain in your new profession and it takes some time to untrain you from your other one.

- All of your stats go back to the base stats according to your character's race.

- You lose all experience points and start at zero again.

- You retain all of your hit points previously earned but you go back to level one again.

- If have a character that used some kind of magic, then you receive one spell point per spell that is in your character's books. For example, if you convert from a cleric to a fighter and you knew all spells up to fourth level, then your spell points would be 5/4/4/4.

- If a character changes from a magic using character into a non-magic using character, they may still learn spells. This will happen if they know at least one spell in a level. They will eventually learn the other spells and also raise their spell points accordingly.

...but also allows you to preserve your HP and some of the spells, which can be neat.

As was said earlier, there are 8 classes and 5 races to choose from.

_races.jpg

Every race has the basic set of attributes a character from that race starts with:

base_race_stats.png

And every class has its own attribute requirements (which are at the same time the requirements for a class change):

class_requirements.png

In the SNES version, Wizards are called Bishops and Clerics are called Priests, but all the attribute requirements and base attributes remain the same.

_classes1.jpg

Fighters, Priests, Thieves, and Mages are the basic classes.

_classes2.jpg

Whereas the Bishops, Ninjas, Lord, and Samurai are the elite. (I'm posting the C64 manual stuff since it has the name class names as the SNES version.)

The party I'll be using will be, of course, an evil game developer party consisting of 2 Fighters, a Thief, a Mage, a Priest, and a Bishop (since only Bishops can identify items). Let's create the first character now.

00wiz019.png

pete.png
That'd be me!

00wiz027.png

Pete and Todd will be a pair of brawny dwarven Fighters merrily killing things together.

pete.png
:bro:
todd1.png

00wiz030.png

After choosing the race and alignment, we roll for the amount of bonus points you can add to the base attributes, ranging from 0 to 25.

Pete's bonus points are appropriately popamole, of course. Rolling 25 takes some time, so you can imagine I spent lots of it staring at the character creation screen and re-rolling.

00wiz032.png
00wiz034.png

We max out Pete's Strength and Vitality; as a Fighter, he's going to need them.

Todd comes next.

00wiz035.png
00wiz041.png

todd1.png
Sup, guys.

00wiz042.png

I wasn't able to roll the popamole in Todd's case, so he'll have to do with 19 bonus points.

todd1.png
Not fair. *makes a sad face*

00wiz044.png
00wiz046.png

todd1.png
At least my Max HP's better than Pete's! And I'm one year older! I'm the boss! *giggles*

00wiz047.png

Gaider's next.

00wiz054.png

Gaider the evil Hobbit.

00wiz060.png
00wiz062.png

Gaider will be a Thief who'll later change into a Ninja assassin.

gaider1.jpg
But... but... I wanted to be an elven assassin!

laidlaw1.png
*rolls eyes*

pete.png
Dave, it's cool, man. You'll get to be a ninja anyway. Just think of that!

gaider1.jpg
I... I think it's alright.

00wiz063.png

laidlaw1.png
My turn!

00wiz066.png

Laidlaw will, of course, be responsible for making awesome things happen.

laidlaw1.png
Aaah. Just my specialty. How thoughtful of you.

00wiz068.png
00wiz070.png

In other words, he'll be the party's Mage.

laidlaw1.png
2 HP? This is an outrage!

00wiz094.png

mca1.png

00wiz096.png

mca1.png
There's no such thing as good and evil, Josh.

josh.png
So why are you evil then, MCA-sensei?

mca1.png

josh.png
(Was that a... smile on his face?)

00wiz100.png

MCA's the Bishop, of course, the only elite class in our party currently.

00wiz102.png

His HP is kind of low, but it'll improve as he levels up.

00wiz081.png

josh.png
Hello.

00wiz084.png

Sawyer's gonna be the Priest, an apprentice to MCA the Bishop.

00wiz089.png
00wiz091.png

He's an Elf because Elves have higher base Int and, if need be, he'll be easily able to switch to a Bishop later.

00wiz105.png

The party is ready. Well, almost ready...

josh.png
Gotta buy some gear first.

laidlaw1.png
A Staff of Awesomeness!

todd1.png
A long sword to be killing things with!

pete.png
A shiny mail to look cool in!

todd1.png
A horse to ride around on!

gaider1.jpg
An assassin's dagger!

mca1.png

josh.png
And some guns. Hey, Underlord. This game of yours... it has guns, right?

du2.jpg
Sorry, I'm afraid you forgot to buy the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC for only $3,99. And it's too late now. *smirks*

du2.jpg
But we've got flails. You'll like those. *smirks again*

josh.png
We don't have much money, though. More gold wouldn't hurt.

todd1.png
I love gold!

pete.png
So do I! We have lots of gold at Bethesda.

josh.png
Is there perhaps a money exploit in this game, as in every other RPG out there?

du2.jpg
Sure. But I'll leave it to you to figure it out.

Next time: the first floor.

The first proper update will probably come in a couple of days. I've got some other things to take care of first.

One more thing about class switching. Since we're playing LARPing an evil party, we normally shouldn't be able to have a Lord or a Samurai. There are some exploits to get around that, but it doesn't really matter; Ninja is the most awesome class of all anyway. Plus I'm still not sure what works and what doesn't in the SNES version, and how quick is your alignment to change from killing/not killing friendlies. Still, I'll be taking suggestions. So if at some point you think it'd be a good thing to turn Todd into, say, a Priest, go ahead and say so.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Sweeeet, I didn't know there was a SNES version of this game. I have the PC and NES version. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for SNES version.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Sweeeet, I didn't know there was a SNES version of this game. I have the PC and NES version. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for SNES version.

EDIT: Stupid double post. My interwebz has been trashed since late Thursday night. Sometimes things are fine, sometimes they are slow and don't work correctly.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Sheesh, spekkio, don't scare an actual dev away from my silly thread. :p

@ Anthony Davis

Cool to see you post ITT. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Black said:
Wiz 6-8 LP.

Nah, everybody played those. And I'm following the example set by Elzair, so starting with Wizardry I is the only option.

You mean, at some point you'll abandon the lp without warning?? :M

I'll read this with interest... While it lasts :M

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:yeah: The time of great classic CRPG crawling has returned to the Playground. Between this and Disciples, this is gonna be a good end of the year.

Also, Proving Grounds of the Dark Underlord :lol:

BTW Bee-san, how does the SNES version compare to the PS/PC Llylgamyn Saga from the late 90's (or did you mean only the originals when you said you played the PC version?)

How does SNES version treat death? Because if it's the same as DOS there's gonna be a LOT of pulling hair out :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
Re: Dungeon design 101. The Let's Play Wizardry MEGATHREAD!

Crooked Bee said:
Let's play the Wizardry series: 1 to 8 (Currently at Wizardry I)

The Codex needs a Wizardry series LP akin to Elzair's Ultima one, don't we?
Time to wear pointy hats and stuffies and thingies and doing some serious dungeon crawling.
:yeah:
400_F_23889125_X2p9HZeQ13ozAfpYYSwaLSbdbhJK43FS.jpg

:incline:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Re: Dungeon design 101. The Let's Play Wizardry MEGATHREAD!

I saw the thread title and had a sudden bout of clairvoyance as to who authored it. Can't wait :bounce:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thx, Black-sama. :P I'll edit in the correct portrait once I have some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom