Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gentlemen, we reached page 10.

Carry on, Mrs. Bee. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really appreciate the bump, guys. :salute: But I'm afraid the next update will only be coming in a couple of days. Got other shit to take care of first.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floors 7 and 8

josh.png
I wonder what kind of "entity" the Dark Underlord spoke of.

mca1.png
I can't say for sure, Josh, but I sense powerful black magic on the floors below.

gaider1.jpg
Ooh! Foul witchery! That'd be my specialty.

06wiz001.png
06wiz003.png

One piece of loot I failed to mention in the previous update is the Rod of Flame. As a rule, rods can be equipped by Mages, Samurai and Bishops as their secondary weapon, i.e., in addition to their main one. They don't deal any kind of melee damage but may grant a bonus or two and usually have a spell associated with them that you can cast by using them in-battle. In this particular case, the Rod of Flame confers a 2% magical protection bonus, makes you resistant to the Fire element, and allows you to cast Mahalito 10 times before it breaks.

One thing I like about Wizardry is that, unless you grind insanely much, you won't be steamrolling everything by the end of the game -- quite the contrary, the lowest floors are probably the most challenging ones. So before heading down to the 7th and 8th floors, let's buy some new equipment to strengthen our front line characters.

06wiz010.png

Pete gets a Blade of Biting, a pretty decent mid-tier weapon with low base damage (only 1D6+1) but decent to-hit (+4) and swings (+2) attributes. As you are no doubt aware, the higher the to-hit attribute, the higher is our chance to hit a low AC enemy, whereas the number of swings is basically a weapon's damage multiplier.

06wiz017.png

Apart from that, both Pete and Todd receive Gloves of Copper, which further reduces their AC by 1.

Time to hit the floor! As usual, Sawyer casts Maporfic as soon as we enter the dungeon to make random encounters less frustrating. Thanks to the spell, Pete and Todd now have AC of -4. Not bad for their level.

06wiz045.png

Taking the B4 elevator, we safely arrive to B7.

map1-07.png

In the original version, B7 was the perfect kind of floor. Not only did it look perfect, it also featured the perfect kind of pit and teleporter placement. In particular, note the four one-square rooms in the centre: one empty, one teleporting you back to the entrance, one holding a pit, and finally one concealing the stairs down to B8. So minimalistically sadistic.

w1map7.gif

In the (S)NES version, B7 isn't that great. For one, they fucked up the pit and teleporter placement. Then they broke it into several mutually inaccessible areas. Finally, they made it even more maze-like. Yeah, okay, the latter is actually a plus, but the first two are still inexcusable. And as always, the reasoning escapes me. Oh well, at least it is no less of a pain to navigate.

06wiz047.png
06wiz051.png

The walls here are golden, and it almost feels like we're wandering the halls of some kind of abandoned ancient palace.

josh.png
It seems so peaceful here.

mca1.png
In the shadow of peace, there must inevitably be wicked things, Josh.

blackcat1.png
Peace will be undermined, and the power of Charisma and Vanity shall rise again!

blackcat1.png
Tee hee. Lookie look! We have visitors!

laidlaw1.png
Who are YOU? And what are you doing here?

blackcat1.png
Isn't it obvious? I live here, duh. This is totally my castle! So you better behave yourselves.

gaider1.jpg
This place... is your home?

blackcat1.png
I feel at home here deep down in the dungeon. Truth be told I really wanted the interieur to be more, um, gothic, but I suppose it's all a matter of time and budget. So yeah, this is MY place now. I've got nowhere to go to back in the heavens.

laidlaw1.png
In the... heavens?

blackcat1.png
And you're kinda cute.

todd1.png
Must be my radiant glasses!

pete.png
She was talking about me, you dork.

blackcat1.png
Gosh, I've changed my mind. You're so boring. Ciao!

josh.png
Pete! Todd! Why did you LISTEN to this crazy person?!

todd1.png
She was wearing half-pants.

pete.png
She was wearing a skirt.

todd1.png
She liked me.

pete.png
She pet me.

josh.png
... Let's just get on with it.

06wiz075.png

The Champ Samurai aren't a new kind of enemy, but I just wanted to show off that whenever some of your characters are asleep (or paralysed or whatever), those further down the line fill in their place. That may sometimes expose your back row casters to melee attacks, rendering them extra vulnerable. In the pictured case, Laidlaw is just one step short of being attacked by a Samurai, and given his low AC, one hard hit would likely be enough to strike him down.

06wiz150.png
06wiz154.png

Monks are the unidentified Lvl 8 Ninjas. Those appear in groups of 1D3, have 8D4 HP and AC of 4. They aren't much of a threat to us at this point, really, especially when unaccompanied.

06wiz188.png

Let's now have a look at the loot we've gathered so far. Two new items there, a Mace of Misfortune and an Epee of Excellence.

The Mace of Misfortune is, as you may have guessed, a cursed item. (Thankfully, you don't always identify cursed items as having the cursed status from the get-go, so you can sometimes sell them off at Boltac's Trading Post before the shop owner knows what's going on.) Being cursed, the mace has a -1 to-hit, making you miss more often than not.

Now the Epee of Excellence is a completely different thing. It has the base damage of 1D6+2, +5 to-hit and +3 swings. It can also be equipped by both Fighters and Thieves, which makes it a perfect kind of weapon for Gaider to be wielding.

blackcat1.png
Still here? So who are you folks?

laidlaw1.png
We're... um... RPG developers.

blackcat1.png
You say you design RPGs? Now that's interesting! You don't really look Japanese to me...

blackcat1.png
So what did you design? Shin Megami Tensei? Hungry Ghosts? Arx Fatalis? Baroque? Shadow Tower?

laidlaw1.png
Um... Dragon Age II.

todd1.png
Skyrim.

josh.png
Fallout New Vegas.

blackcat1.png
Bah! Adventure game designers! And terrible ones at that.

josh.png
Hey, wait! See that man over here? He designed Planescape: Torment!

blackcat1.png
Oh, you mean that bad adventure game without puzzles? :roll:

mca1.png

josh.png
What?

blackcat1.png
Sorry, but someone had to do it. Now, like, the problem is that whatever it is, it isn't a good role playing game at all: Every other day i play an MMO with better combat mechanics and more challenging battles than anything Torment has to offer, and with a much better character system than Torment's to boot. And when you are defeated by an MMO you suck as a role playing game, sorry. Torment's setting is cool, yay, and it's very atmospheric. So what? If having a cool, immersive, and atmospheric setting is the mark of a role playing game then Pathologic, The Void, and some thingie or another of Kyoto are the best role playing games, like, ever. Or evar, nya. Torment's plot is good for a game, yay, and somewhat interesting, i guess. So what? If having a good plot is the mark of a role playing game then EVER17 is the best role playing game EVAR!!1! And it has more choices and consequences than Torment, too. But then even the lesser type of Otome games have more meaningful choices than Torment, and usually they get better gameplay to boot. So stop the bleeping idiocy. Torment sucks as a role playing game: It lacks in the exploration, combat, character development, and, like, most other thingies. Go play real role playing games with dungeons and parties and riddles and monsters and stuffy stuff, then talk about what is and isn't a role playing game, nya.

gaider1.jpg
Aren't we playing one already?.. Er, I mean, who the hell ARE you?

blackcat1.png
Spoiled princess. Pwetty witch. Budding pop idol. At your service. Or is that supposed to be the other way 'round? Hmm, I need to think about that for a moment. Until then, peasants!

06wiz207.png
06wiz210.png

MCA levels up, learning new spells.

06wiz214.png

He finally gains access to lvl2 Priest spells, including the very useful Manifo, the group paralysis spell. You know, in retrospect, I really should've gone for a second Priest instead of a Bishop and then multiclass him into a Mage. That way, he'd gain all the spells much quicker in the long run. Bishops sure do have some insane exp requirements. Then again, we're fast approaching the end game anyway so it doesn't make much difference unless we're powergaming, which we're not.

06wiz240.png
06wiz243.png

A new enemy awaits us on B4 as we make our way to the second elevator. It's a group of not particularly friendly Dragon Flies, who appear in groups of 1D3+1, have 2D8 HP, AC of 4, and Magical Resistance of 20%.

06wiz397.png
06wiz404.png

Another new B4 enemy is the Boring Beetle. They may be boring, true, but they hit for 5D4!

06wiz260.png

This time, let's head down to B8.

map1-08.png

In the original version, B8 was a pretty straightforward floor... except that if you made it to the spinner field via the 1->1' teleporter, you'd have a really hard time trying to get back out. :P Also, as you may have noticed, there are no stairs down to B9 here, so the only means of getting there is the elevator. Yes, that means B8 is a trolling floor, and exploring it is pointless.

w1map8.gif

Thankfully, they didn't change that last bit for the (S)NES remake. Incidentally, B8 is the last floor to be redesigned in the (S)NES version; both B9 and B10 stayed true to the original design. Unfortunately, the Japanese got rid of the spinner field, but overall they made B8 into a floor that is pretty interesting to explore, so kudos to them for that.

06wiz262.png

blackcat1.png
What do you think? I changed the wallpaper! Isn't it fresh? Aren't you excited?

josh.png
Why should we care? Just let us through already!

blackcat1.png
How nice! You're full of energy! I like it! ...But leave now, if you please. The mistress is too busy at the moment to spare time for anyone. Doing one of her psychotic experiments again, no doubt. *giggles*

gaider1.jpg
The mistress?

blackcat1.png
That'd be me! Haha. ...Don't think I'm 100% mean, though. I can be nice too. Sometimes. Spontaneously.

laidlaw1.png
Are you even human?

blackcat1.png
What is a human? A miserable little pile of excuses... Is that brat (*points at Pete*) not developing the crap he develops for the sake of power, and leading for the sake of ego? And please don't lecture me on "rules" and "principles". There are no such things as hard-and-fast rules; there are only conventions adapted to the climate. Fling a man headlong into one social melting pot after another, and convictions and forms and moral systems become so many meaningless words to him. The one thing that always remains, the one sure instinct that nature has implanted in him, is the instinct of self-interest. As to manners, man is man all the world over. The same battle between the poor and the rich is going on everywhere; it is inevitable everywhere; consequently, it is better to exploit than to be exploited! *giggles cheerfully* Those greedy humans, only wanting fame and power! I will become the ONLY power! I will become the ONLY justice! For when all sensations are exhausted, all that survives is Vanity -- Vanity is the abiding substance of this world!

blackcat1.png
That said, I don't have time to waste on you PEASANTS! Open, gates of Hades! Come, my servants! Swat the pompous flies who dare DIRTY my castle!

06wiz306.png
06wiz310.png

Chimeras travel in groups of 1D4, have 9D6 HP and AC of 2. Their default attack is a Fire breath attack hitting the entire party for 1D3/1D3/1D4/1D4/2D4/3D4 damage.

06wiz316.png
06wiz321.png

Master Thieves come in three kinds. The first two kinds appear in groups of 1D6 and have 4D6/6D6 HP and AC of 4/3 respectively. The last kind always appears alone, has 12D6 HP and AC of 2. Pictured above is the weakest kind.

06wiz335.png
06wiz339.png

Gaze Hounds have relatively low HP, 4D8, but their armour class is pretty low (AC = -1). They only attack for 1D2, but they can also paralyse you, so it's not all well.

06wiz269.png

Oh yeah, did I show off Milwa/Lomilwa already? They create light in the dungeon and expose secret doors. Too bad it gets extinguished as soon as we enter a dark zone.

06wiz581.png
06wiz596.png

With their AC of 0 and HP of 7D12, Major Daimyos are badass. They also attack up to 2 times per turn for 1D10/1D4 points of damage. You may have noticed the really low AC our party has in the above pic, that's because Sawyer has cast Bamatu to reduce it by 4. That way the Daimyos are barely able to hit us.

06wiz613.png
06wiz622.png

Arch Mages aren't really dangerous when alone. There are two types of Arch Mages, and only the weaker ones may even appear alone; the second type always appears alongside High Bishops and mean real trouble.

06wiz660.png

Taking the stairs up to B7, we run into a group of Lvl 10 Fighters. They sure look badass, but even their 7D10 HP and AC of 0 can't save them from the combined game developers' might.

06wiz715.png

Traps! We better avoid them.

06wiz724.png
06wiz731.png

The weirdest monster so far: Medusalizard. Appearing in groups of 1D6, they have 5D8 HP, AC of 6 and hit for 1D3 -- nothing immediately intimidating.

06wiz741.png
06wiz746.png

However, when their attack connects, they can stone you, and that's some bad shit. Not as bad as in the later Wizardries, though.

The later games in the Wizardry series feature a particularly nasty Stone effect -- it damages vitality the same as dying, and when you do cure a stoned character, it's quite possible they died while stoned, necessitating resurrection and inflicting the vitality loss for dying...

In the early Wizardries, a character doesn't lose a Vitality point when stoned. Thankfully.

So let's hurry back to the castle and heal Todd up.

blackcat1.png
Aww, leaving already? But we're having so much fun!

gaider1.jpg
Fun? What kind of a person are you?!

blackcat1.png
I am a LADY!

josh.png
An awfully perverted one, I'd say.

blackcat1.png
Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you? *giggles* ...Er, whatever. Take your leave. I don't care. You don't even have the proper clothes to wear to go clothes shopping with me anyway. So off with you! Shoo!

06wiz772.png
06wiz807.png

Another new enemy we encounter on our way back: Priestesses, otherwise known as female Priests. As far as I can tell, they must have been introduced by the Japanese; at least I can't seem to find them in the original Wizardry monster list. They're probably not that different from the regular Priests anyway.

06wiz824.png
06wiz830.png

At the temple, we pay 1600 gold to bring Todd back to normal.

06wiz843.png

And hey, one of the items we've found turns out to be cursed!

06wiz850.png
06wiz851.png

To uncurse it, we must pay 500 gold to Boltac. And no, we can't just drop a cursed item, that's the problem.

06wiz857.png
06wiz861.png

Pete levels up. One step closer to perfection!

06wiz865.png
06wiz868.png

Todd improves his max HP quite a bit.

06wiz872.png
06wiz878.png

Sawyer learns new spells.

06wiz899.png

Those are level 5 Priest spells! :incline:

Dialma is a more powerful version of Dial, healing 3-24 HP. Badialma is the reverse of that, dealing 3-24 points of damage to a monster. Kandi is a spell that lets you locate party members lost in the dungeon; useless to us in this LP. Finally, Di is our first resurrection spell; failure to bring a character back to life means he is ASHED and needs something stronger. Success means the character is brought back at 1 HP.

06wiz883.png
06wiz887.png

Gaider only gets a very moderate HP boost.

06wiz891.png
06wiz895.png

Laidlaw also gets new spells.

06wiz903.png

Level 5 Mage spells, yay! As well as one new lvl 4 spell. Dalto is a Cold element spell dealing 6D6 elemental damage to a group of enemies. Mamorlis is a stronger variant of Morlis, causing stronger fear in enemies. Makanito is a unique kind of spell -- a suffocating spell that causes a vacuum to form around all enemy groups; if they breathe air, there's a chance they will be affected by this spell. Most anything with under 40 HP will be suffocated. Finally, Madalto is the industrial version of Dalto, causing a really big blizzard to form and dealing 6D8 Cold damage to an enemy group.

Okay, so the next update may take a while, since there's that job-related project I'm basically working on 24/7 at the moment. Plus I want to grind for some really rare loot to show off, which again takes time. So stay tuned! There shouldn't be more than two, or at most three, updates left anyway.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
blackcat1.png
Still here? So who are you folks?

laidlaw1.png
We're... um... RPG developers.

blackcat1.png
You say you design RPGs? Now that's interesting! You don't really look Japanese to me...

blackcat1.png
So what did you design? Shin Megami Tensei? Hungry Ghosts? Arx Fatalis? Baroque? Shadow Tower?

laidlaw1.png
Um... Dragon Age II.

todd1.png
Skyrim.

josh.png
Fallout New Vegas.

blackcat1.png
Bah! Adventure game designers! And terrible ones at that.

josh.png
Hey, wait! See that man over here? He designed Planescape: Torment!

blackcat1.png
Oh, you mean that bad adventure game without puzzles? :roll:

mca1.png

josh.png
What?

blackcat1.png
Sorry, but someone had to do it. Now, like, the problem is that whatever it is, it isn't a good role playing game at all: Every other day i play an MMO with better combat mechanics and more challenging battles than anything Torment has to offer, and with a much better character system than Torment's to boot. And when you are defeated by an MMO you suck as a role playing game, sorry. Torment's setting is cool, yay, and it's very atmospheric. So what? If having a cool, immersive, and atmospheric setting is the mark of a role playing game then Pathologic, The Void, and some thingie or another of Kyoto are the best role playing games, like, ever. Or evar, nya. Torment's plot is good for a game, yay, and somewhat interesting, i guess. So what? If having a good plot is the mark of a role playing game then EVER17 is the best role playing game EVAR!!1! And it has more choices and consequences than Torment, too. But then even the lesser type of Otome games have more meaningful choices than Torment, and usually they get better gameplay to boot. So stop the bleeping idiocy. Torment sucks as a role playing game: It lacks in the exploration, combat, character development, and, like, most other thingies. Go play real role playing games with dungeons and parties and riddles and monsters and stuffy stuff, then talk about what is and isn't a role playing game, nya.

gaider1.jpg
Aren't we playing one already?.. Er, I mean, who the hell ARE you?

blackcat1.png
Spoiled princess. Pwetty witch. Budding pop idol. At your service. Or is that supposed to be the other way 'round? Hmm, I need to think about that for a moment. Until then, peasants!

blackcat1.png
What do you think? I changed the wallpaper! Isn't it fresh? Aren't you excited?

josh.png
Why should we care? Just let us through already!

blackcat1.png
How nice! You're full of energy! I like it! ...But leave now, if you please. The mistress is too busy at the moment to spare time for anyone. Doing one of her psychotic experiments again, no doubt. *giggles*

gaider1.jpg
The mistress?

blackcat1.png
That'd be me! Haha. ...Don't think I'm 100% mean, though. I can be nice too. Sometimes. Spontaneously.

laidlaw1.png
Are you even human?

blackcat1.png
What is a human? A miserable little pile of excuses... Is that brat (*points at Pete*) not developing the crap he develops for the sake of power, and leading for the sake of ego? And please don't lecture me on "rules" and "principles". There are no such things as hard-and-fast rules; there are only conventions adapted to the climate. Fling a man headlong into one social melting pot after another, and convictions and forms and moral systems become so many meaningless words to him. The one thing that always remains, the one sure instinct that nature has implanted in him, is the instinct of self-interest. As to manners, man is man all the world over. The same battle between the poor and the rich is going on everywhere; it is inevitable everywhere; consequently, it is better to exploit than to be exploited! *giggles cheerfully* Those greedy humans, only wanting fame and power! I will become the ONLY power! I will become the ONLY justice! For when all sensations are exhausted, all that survives is Vanity -- Vanity is the abiding substance of this world!

:bravo:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh God... I really needed that. That was formidable, nostalgic and damn hilarious. MOAR!!!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mrs. Bee, you rule.
:love:

Also, that brings back memories...both from BC and Castlevania...

EDIT: Is this a setting stone for Castlevania BC glorious comeback? What evil forces are at play here, you can't possibly roleplay her this well!

lightbane

Arcane
Unfortunately no, BC isn't going to come back here, not after a... Let's say an awful experience with General Discussion and certain codexers. Your update is still great though.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
How appropriate that a "BC Update" contains the "Priestess tries to gnaw SAWYER" line :P :salute:

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Now that was a blast from the past. Great update.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Okay, so the next update may take a while, since there's that job-related project I'm basically working on 24/7 at the moment.
Our little bee has entered the workforce?
Good luck with that, I hope the pay is good and vacations long.:salute:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
We demand literary devices more sophisticated than the copypasting of entire posts into dialogue.:decline:

In all seriousness though, I remember reading that Torment post of hers back in the day, such a masterpiece it is. All the more amusing because she thinks Ever17 has a good story.:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom