Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I miss her. That topic where she left was awfull, gave a bad taste after reading. Assholes shoving their e-dicks around and a naive girl caught with her defenses down. I enjoyed her topics, but I think is best for her not to come back again, this place requires a thick hide sometimes and a person that stands out so much like her would likely only get hurt again...:(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
bee_cat.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Let's stop the clitsucking going on in this thread!

:rpgcodex:

Preferably with another update...

:smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Having no time to do a proper update at the moment, I may as well entertain you a bit.

You see, from what I've gathered (I don't speak Japanese), Werdna has been pretty big in Japan, like everything Wizardry-related. No wonder there have been numerous reimaginings of him as well as, ahem, fanart, some of which is pretty hilarious.

werdna12werdnasforestoriginal.png
werdna13werdnasforestoriginal.png

A Werdna-focused arcade game? o_O What is this madness?

This madness is a game called Werdna's Forest (known as Wardner in the West, FFS they couldn't even translate it correctly) released in 1987 for Arcade, Mega Drive and NES.

werdna5.jpg
werdna6.jpg

A Werdna-focused fighting game? Oh, Japan. :roll: (No idea what game that is. Do I really want to find out?)

wizbook_returnofwerdna_jap.jpg

Hell yeah a Wizardry 4: The Return of Werdna novel!

treborwerdnajoeza.jpg

Wizardry anime. :roll: Trebor's in the middle, Werdna's on the right, some kind of dwarf's on the left.

werdna16.jpg

Werdna in a PC Wizardry remake. Japanese only, of course.

werdna17.jpg

THIS. IS. WERDNAAA!!

werdna14.jpg

And yes, this is Werdna too. :troll:

Stay tuned. :p

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
And here I was, thinking I had seen the very bottom of the Japanese abyss. Thank you for exposing my hubris for what it was.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Having no time to do a proper update at the moment, I may as well entertain you a bit.

You see, from what I've gathered (I can't speak Japanese), Werdna has been pretty big in Japan, like everything Wizardry-related. No wonder there have been numerous reimaginings of him as well as, ahem, fanart, some of which is pretty hilarious.

werdna12werdnasforestoriginal.png
werdna13werdnasforestoriginal.png

A Werdna-focused arcade game? o_O What is this madness?

This madness is a game called Werdna's Forest (known as Wardner in the West, FFS they couldn't even translate it correctly) released in 1987 for Arcade, Mega Drive and NES.

werdna5.jpg
werdna6.jpg

Actually, that's plain awesome. Imagine a stupid, lulzy video game end boss, who even has the name of one of the devs spelled backwards (due to the limited imagination of the devs? extreme meta-trolling? who knows) turned into some kind of pop culture phenomenon. That's definitely a thing that could only happen in Japan :eek:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Trebor's in the middle, Werdna's on the right
And they're portrayed as working together? :decline:

He does look pretty awesome in the PC remake though...

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
werdna16.jpg

Whoa, there's some craziness going on in this picture. It says "Andrew" and not Werdna. What's the name of this remake?

Man, I remember Wardner in the arcades. I had no idea it was some weird Wizardry spinoff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What's the name of this remake?

I... don't know. :oops: I'll try to dig that up.
Apparently they go by Wizardry: Five Ordeals, in jap: Wizardry五つの試練

Found a official website too, but I fail my [japanese] skill checks and can't proceed further....all I can do is mouseover the menus and read the the "/index.html" descriptions to see where it leads....

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What's the name of this remake?

I... don't know. :oops: I'll try to dig that up.
Apparently they go by Wizardry: Five Ordeals, in jap: Wizardry五つの試練

Found a official website too, but I fail my [japanese] skill checks and can't proceed further....all I can do is mouseover the menus and read the the "/index.html" descriptions to see where it leads....
!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a Wizardry scenario maker!! It's like Moonlight Sword for Kings Field or Unlimited Adventures for the gold box games. The official site even has user-made scenarios on it. Why do the Japanese always get the coolest stuff?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Because that way they can export all their japcrap at us and LAUGH all the way home as they get to keep all the cool stuff for themselves.

:(

Wizardry XVI: Rise of the Romanceable Werdna?
Developer by Bioware.
Features a hot gay romance between Trebor and Werdna.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floor 9

In this update, we finally make our way down to the ninth floor and find some of the more powerful loot (even if not yet the most powerful).

It's nighttime. The party are resting just outside the castle walls.

gaider1.jpg
Mike, why won't you look at me?

gaider1.jpg
Mike, why won't you you me me mike mike mikemike!

laidlaw1.png
What's WRONG, David? I go out to feel the night wind, and guess what, it's you again!

gaider1.jpg
Night wind... So romantic. You're quite a romantic, Mike.

laidlaw1.png
What do you WANT from me, Dave?

gaider1.jpg
...Mike... I've been looking everywhere for you... Like, a lot. Almost... every waking moment, I have.

Pause. Everyone but Gaider, Laidlaw, and Pete leaves. Pete stares, and Todd has to drag him away.

laidlaw1.png
Yeah, um, that sure sounds like a lot of worrying. But it's all fine, I'm here, you know.

gaider1.jpg
......Mike.

laidlaw1.png
Dave?

gaider1.jpg
I feel like... saying some horrible things to you. I'm sorry.

laidlaw1.png
Horrible things?

gaider1.jpg
Something stupid... like I love you.

laidlaw1.png
H-hey, Dave, it's okay. It's just that... you know my heart belongs to... Bioware.

gaider1.jpg
...Right. So you chose Bioware. You'd choose Isabela, but you wouldn't choose me. You'd choose Hawke, but you wouldn't choose me. That single fact is just too much for me to handle. Look, I'm just saying horrible things again. I know I'm just pestering you now, Mike.

laidlaw1.png
No way, Dave. ...Go on, keep going.

gaider1.jpg
...Mike, I have so much affection for you that won't ever go away. Day by day, my feelings for you grow stronger. ..."Why? Why? Why doesn't Mike look at me, forever?" I always think.

laidlaw1.png
Oh Dave...

The screen fades to black.

laidlaw1.png
L-let us never speak of this again.

gaider1.jpg
I don't mind never speaking of it again, as long as we could do it again, Mike.

laidlaw1.png
*blushes*

07wiz016.png

Having made it to the B4 elevator, we press the B9 button this time.

07wiz017.png

And here we are.

map1-09.png

Thankfully, the Japs didn't redesign the last two floors, so B9 stayed the way it was in the original version. It's a pretty uneventful floor, but it has some nice loot drops and is the only way of accessing Werdna's lair on B10. The teleporter to B10 is at (8,2), and you must make it past the encounter at (9,1) to get there. Encounters get reset when you exit and reenter a level, so (9,1), being located right near the elevator, is a perfectly good place to grind for loot and encounter new and stronger enemies.

07wiz021.png

At (10,1), our party takes a deep breath.

josh.png
Alright, people. So we're inside this strange palace, investigating the pervert who hid inside.

richardandrew3.png
What the HELL are you bastards doing here? Do you even realize you're just ASKING for a beating?

josh.png
So... what's your plan anyway, eh, antagonist? Joining up with that wicked girl to go and screw up the world? Is that it?

richardandrew3.png
If only this were a world ruled by me... wouldn't it be grand? The world itself... would be the ultimate role-playing game! They'd call me "Lord"! They'd call me "my liege"! There wouldn't be the likes of YOU around!

josh.png
Okay, murder it is. Couldn't be clearer. No more chatter necessary.

richardandrew3.png
Ahaha... you clueless fools! Deal with my minions first, called forth by the power of my amulet, before you even touch ME!

07wiz096.png
07wiz120.png

giant.png
*whirr* Resistance is futile. This new land... this new world... Here and *bzzt* now, we will make it ours. We shall procure it... So that it may become *click* the land of our master.

pete.png
Aaaah! Scary robot thingies!

richardandrew3.png
Go ahead, cry your eyes out, you bastards! Isn't this just pee-your-pants scary?!

The best kind of enemy you can encounter here are definitely Giants. They come in four types: Earth Giants, Fire Giants, Frost Giants and Poison Giants. Of all those, Poison Giants are the deadliest and Fire Giants give very little exp, but apart from Fire Giants, the rest are a real exp treat. In this case, killing off a small group of Earth Giants brings us ca. 10k exp.

07wiz132.png
07wiz145.png

Lvl 8 Bishops have a relatively high amount of HP, 8D8, and cast lvl4 Priest and lvl3 Mage spells. No wonder it doesn't take long for Gaider to fall asleep. :P

gaider1.jpg
ZzzzZzzzZ

laidlaw1.png
Now isn't the best time to have one of those midday slumbers of yours, Dave!

todd1.png
This loser going to take a NAP at a time like this?! Wake him up already!

gaider1.jpg
ZzzzZzzzZ ZzzzZzzzZ

laidlaw1.png
Oh dammit. *leans closer to Gaider* DAVID GAIDER! YOU STILL HAVE 20000 WORDS LEFT TO WRITE TODAY!

gaider1.jpg
*wakes up* Huh?.. Shit, Mike, you almost got me scared there!

07wiz144.png

Laidlaw's Mahalito does a short work of the Bishops, however.

07wiz162.png
07wiz170.png

Demons look badass. Pictured is a Lesser Demon (unidentified), who has 10D8 HP, knows Mage spells up to level 3, hits up to 5 (!) times per turn for 2D6/2D6/1D3/1D3/1D4+4, and is resistant to all kinds of spells. Luckily, his AC is only 4, so we can bash him in melee, at least.

morrigan1.jpg
Aw, another cute little demon.

merrill1.png
I sure never saw any demons like it running amuk in my old home! What do you think we should do with it, Morrigan?

morrigan1.jpg
...What do we do, you ask me? Maybe we should take it with us to Ferelden? I'm sure it'll like it.

demon.png
NOOOOOO! Not to Ferelden! Nonono! Not to a Bioware game!

*Demon flees*

gaider1.jpg
:smug:

07wiz309.png
07wiz314.png

And this is how an identified Lesser Demon looks. Scary, isn't he? Must be Andhaira's true form.

07wiz254.png
07wiz263.png

Trolls look funny, just as they're supposed to. They travel in groups of 1D3, have 6D8+6 HP, AC of 4, regenerate 3 HP per turn, and hit up to 3 times for 1D4+4. Their popamole regenerating health may sound like a problem, but it isn't -- just bash them into oblivion! It's all trolls deserve anyway. :P

07wiz291.png
07wiz295.png

Despite their undead looks and night-time name, Nightstalkers can't level-drain you and aren't really much of a threat. They appear in groups of 2D3, have 5D8+3 HP and AC of 4.

07wiz351.png
07wiz355.png

Lvl 8 Priests look ominous. Black outfit, a cloak of dark green. They can cast Priest spells of up to level 4, but decided to go all Badial on me for some reason, only dealing negligible damage.

07wiz439.png
07wiz451.png

Fire Giants... A heap of muscles that only gives 1410 exp. Decidedly meh.

07wiz491.png
07wiz494.png

The way Gorgons are designed in this game is really random. "Then again, who cares?" (c) the Japanese.

Gorgons have 8D8 HP and AC of 2. They don't hit hard, but may stone you when their attack connects. A single Gorgon is as pathetic as it gets, though.

07wiz582.png
07wiz585.png

Wyverns have 7D8+7 HP and, most importantly, poisonous claws!

07wiz586.png
07wiz592.png

Sawyer is poisoned, so we cast Latumofis.

pete.png
...Er, Josh. How did that spell work exactly?

josh.png
Isn't it obvious? I scared the poison away.

pete.png
Oh wow. So it's like an anti-poison shout, huh? Gotta remember that one.

07wiz604.png
07wiz608.png

Will O' Wisps are a joy to encounter! True, they have 10D8 HP, AC of -8 (!) and 95% magic resistance (!), but the exp they bring, oh the exp...

07wiz617.png

Pure :incline:!

As for the loot we've found so far...

07wiz226.png
07wiz335.png

Ring of Jewels is a ring that casts Dumapic when used. Useful in your first playthrough when you're mapping the game by hand and don't feel like wasting spellpoints.

Epee of Dismay is a cursed item, so you should get rid of it asap.

07wiz282.png
07wiz432.png

Helm of Hardiness is a helmet that reduces your AC by 2, and Slayer of Dragons is, well, a sword that normally hits for 1D10+1 and deals additional damage to dragons. Cool, but not really too useful.

07wiz489.png
07wiz565.png

Mace of Power attacks for 1D8+2, has +4 to-hit and +2 swings. Sword of Slicing hits for 1D8+1, has +5 to-hit, +2 swings, and 1% magic resistance. Ring of Rigidity lets you cast Manifo, the paralysis spell, 10 times before it breaks.

07wiz623.png
07wiz635.png

Scroll of Darkness has a Dilto spell (that surrounds a group of monsters with darkness) inscribed on it, and Scroll of Fire a Halito, the basic fireball spell.

Rotten Leather is useless... and cursed, whereas Ring of Shielding can be worn by a spellcaster and allows him to cast Porfic, which lowers the caster's AC by 4, up to five times.

07wiz645.png

All ready to level up now!

07wiz652.png
07wiz653.png

Pete improves his Agility and Luck.

07wiz659.png
07wiz660.png

Todd experiences a major incline, even getting ahead of Pete HP-wise.

07wiz666.png
07wiz667.png

Sawyer learns new spells.

07wiz668.png

Or rather, one new spell, Badi, the reverse of Di that attempts to slay one monster instantly. "Instant death to one monster," as the official description puts it... provided it connects, of course.

mca1.png
You've grown quite a bit as an evil priest, Josh. Now you wield death itself in your hands.

josh.png
I... I'm scared, MCA-sensei.

mca1.png
I know, Josh, I know. ...Some religions teach that death is not something to be feared, that it is part of the natural cycle. But that is not always true.

josh.png
What do you mean?

mca1.png
The monsters we fight are unnatural, and there is no "life" nor "afterlife" for them. Think of bringing death to them as of bringing peace, not punishment. Think of that as bringing justice... to those who are not meant to be. That is the real meaning of our alignment, one that fools call "evil."

josh.png
I'll... do my best, MCA-sensei.

07wiz673.png
07wiz674.png

Gaider is getting even closer to the all 17s Ninja requirement. Way to go, David!

07wiz679.png
07wiz680.png

MCA also gains new spells. Those are some standard Priest/Mage spells we've already covered before, so I won't be presenting them again here.

07wiz689.png
07wiz690.png

Laidlaw doesn't learn new spells, alas.

07wiz700.png

Back on B9, the first enemy group we encounter is that of 2 Greater Demons, yikes!

07wiz709.png
07wiz712.png

Gaider is kicking some serious ass.

And so does the exp.

07wiz717.png

A Mace of Snake is our reward, which is a mace that protects again poison and hits for 1D8 with +3 to-hit and +2 swings.

07wiz725.png
07wiz730.png

The B-Plate of Boons is a really good find, reducing a character's AC by 6 and having magic resistance of 1%. It can be equipped by Priests, so it goes to Sawyer, who is a bit under-protected compared to Pete and Todd.

07wiz740.png
07wiz757.png

Frost Giants may be resistant to paralysis, which is bad, but they bring a lot of experience, which is good.

07wiz772.png
07wiz777.png

I've gotta say better equipment really does make quite a difference.

And whoa, look at that exp!

07wiz788.png
07wiz797.png

The Neutral Plate is pretty good plate that Priests cannot equip, but Fighters it. It reduces the character's AC by 7, which makes it better than any of our currently equipped armour is.

Sword of Slashing hits for 1D10+2, has +6 (!) to-hit and +3 swings.

07wiz802.png
07wiz820.png

In other news, Murphy's Ghosts are now a regular encounter. Piss easy, though.

07wiz824.png
07wiz828.png

Lvl 7 Thieves look a bit... gay, don't you think?

gaider1.jpg
:bounce:

todd1.png
Don't bite at me, you pervert!

They behave as gays, too.

07wiz872.png

Dagger of Speed is... an interesting kind of weapon. Basically, it sacrifices armour penetration (they have -3 armour class adjustment) and to-hit (which equals -1) in exchange for the number of swings it has per turn (+7 swings!). I'm... not really sure it's worth it, but it could work, I guess.

07wiz891.png

And again we stand ready to level up!

07wiz897.png
07wiz904.png

Pete and Todd now have almost identical HP.

07wiz908.png
07wiz911.png

Sawyer learns new spells, which are level 6 spells, yay! Lorto deals 6D6 non-elemental damage by causing blades to slice through a monster group. Mabadi is a pretty cool spell, one that JRPGs tend to often have (probably; I seem to remember such a spell in Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light at least), that leaves the target monster at just 1 HP (!) when it successfully connects. This spell is extremely effective, if it works, against monsters with high numbers of hit points. Of course, enemy clerics also use this spell to great effect.

Finally, Loktofeit is an escape spell that teleports the party back to the castle when things get desperate and grim. BUT! The penalty for use is the loss of all character's equipment and most gold! In addition, this spell may fail!

Wizardry just doesn't fuck around. :roll:

07wiz915.png
07wiz916.png

Soon to be a ninja!

:yeah:

07wiz920.png
07wiz922.png

No new spells for MCA. :(

07wiz927.png
07wiz930.png

New powerful lvl6 spells for Laidlaw, however: Lakanito, which attempts to suffocate a group of monsters if they breathe air. Lakanito is extremely effective, believe me. (It will be even more effective in Wizardry IV, where you battle human enemies all the time. :P) And Zilwan, a spell analogous to Clerics' Dispel ability that destroys one undead monsters. Not good against groups of undead, but it can help quite a bit in an appropriate situation.

josh.png
Hey Underlord.

du2.jpg
Yeah?

josh.png
We've made it this far already. Care to tell us what you really need us for?

du2.jpg
Heh, you have some Intelligence, I'll grant you that. There is indeed a purpose to your actions apart from learning how to design proper dungeons.

todd1.png
So what is it, then?

du2.jpg
I need you to retrieve the amulet Werdna stole from me. My... pet project cannot function properly without it.

josh.png
Pet project?

du2.jpg
For now, I can only tell you this. The madman you're after... he wants to open the floodgates of innovation... to blur the border between role-playing and real life. I am against all that, I'm trying to contain it, to erect a barrier to his vision of the future.

josh.png
Fair enough, I guess. But where do we come in?

du2.jpg
You see, I'm too conservative, too oldschool... I can't catch up, can't even get close to him. But what I cannot, you can.

josh.png
We can?

du2.jpg
Yes. You've made some proper RPGs in the past... yet you've also designed quite a few shitty... I mean innovative ones recently. So how do I put it? You're at the border of the two worlds, basically, at the fork between the two routes, mine and his. Some would call it C&C.

pete.png
"C&C"?

du2.jpg
Choices and consequences.

A wild mob with pitchforks runs past, futilely chasing after a large white banner. On the banner is written, "Thursday". Innumerable cries of torment and suffering follow as the mob are themselves chased by hornets and wasps.

josh.png
...Who are these poor souls? It's like they're within Hell yet aren't truly part of it.

du2.jpg
They are my people. Don't judge them harshly. They're angry and bitter and suffering for a cause that seems futile... but at least they're pursuing their dream.

gaider1.jpg
Man, that really is kinda screwing with my head.

du2.jpg
But that's what choices and consequences are about! ...The future we all are going to have is the consequence of your choice to help me. Naturally, I don't really give you a choice. :smug: The concept must be familiar to you... right, David?

gaider1.jpg
Yeah, I know what you mean. You're railroading us into retrieving that amulet for you.

du2.jpg
Correct. We'll see how you fare. It's not like you're the first to try this... That our future must depend on you, oh the irony! And if you fail... We might as well have already been lost to Oblivion. And so we will simply vanish as the end of the world arrives.

Next time: we'll learn just how much Trebor sucks!

lightbane

Arcane
07wiz170.png

Demon? More like "Djinn", right?

just bash them into Skrym!

Fixed.

The monsters we fight are unnatural, and there is no "life" nor "afterlife" for them. Think of bringing death to them as of bringing peace, not punishment. Think of that as bringing justice... to those who are not meant to be. That is the real meaning of our alignment, one that fools call "evil."

Deep. Tell that to the vampires. Or any Chaotic Evil monster (like Orcs).

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Codex:limbo of inanity, someone should make a game out of that.:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom