Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Crooked Bee, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    :love:

On that note, I have TONS of screens already, but the next update's coming really slow... Plus I won't be drunk again until the week end, and I can't write anything even remotely funny when non-drunk, so the update will have to wait a bit.

:lol:

^ Top  
  2. TripJack Hedonist Patron

TripJack
    so you will not be ironmanning wiz 4?

this lp is shit
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Floor 1, Part 1: The basics

It looks like our party's all set to whack some dungeon moles. The first floor is easy, since enemies will only get to use magic starting from floor two. In this short update, we'll see our characters learn to open doors, fight enemies, put them to sleep, attack friendlies, wander in the dark, as well as hide in the shadows. Reading is teh hard, so in order to keep updates brief I'll show off leveling up, the first boss fight, the dungeon design, and the first keys we find in the next update.

Anyway, it's time to get started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Todd, what's a maze?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upon entering the maze, we're given the options to Inspect our characters, Reorder the party, and Equip whatever we haven't equipped yet.

For starters, let's switch Gaider and Sawyer: our Thief should be more well-hidden in the back row, and Josh has decent enough HP and a decent enough weapon to be useful in melee.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Right behind you, Josh. *winks*

[​IMG] Don't.

[​IMG] Are you sure? *smiles*

[​IMG] I... well, in this case... I guess it's all r--

[​IMG] *whispers* It's an illusion, Josh. Strip it away, and the truth will show.

[​IMG] I... I'd gladly strip this illusion... I mean, strip it... away... MCA-sensei. But it's too... strong.

[​IMG] *sighs and snaps fingers*

[​IMG] Aaah! You ruined it, you freak!

[​IMG] ..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hey Todd, I think I've just bumped into a door! *anxiously* Has our journey come to an end, Todd?

[​IMG] Shit, I'm at a loss, Pete. There's a reason we only have automatic doors at Bethesda HQ.

[​IMG] Hey Laidlaw, we could use an expert's hand at this.

[​IMG] Sure, what seems to be the problem, guys?

[​IMG] You see... well, it's complicated, man. Let me just show you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] *rubs forehead and makes a sad face*

[​IMG] Don't worry, man! They didn't make me the lead on Dragon Age 2 for nothing. Here, try this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] !!

[​IMG] Majestic!

[​IMG] Man, you're the best. We totally hire you once we're outta here.

So let's see what's behind the door.

[​IMG]

No wonder. Imagine suddenly facing a party of evil game developers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ... What do you mean, turn-based?

[​IMG] No wonder it's only six of us playing your game, man.

Small Humanoids don't pose any kind of real threat to us. In other words, they are weak.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] :bro: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Tsk. I see you still haven't learned to fully control your emotions.

[​IMG] ...

[​IMG] Josh, your feelings are your weakness.

[​IMG] You're always saying the same things, MCA-sensei. *cries* All these years! The same things! Sometimes I wonder if you're ever going to say something... something new! *turns away*

Next round, there are only two Small Humanoids left standing, and we're unscathed.

[​IMG]

Sawyer has three Priest spells currently: Kalki (lowers the party's AC by one), Dios (heals 1 to 8 hit points), and Milwa (there be light!). And yeah, he can only cast 'em three times in total before he has to rest to replenish the spell points. Hardcore!

We don't need no Priest spells for this fight, though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

MCA and Laidlaw both have two Mage spells. Being a Bishop, MCA will be getting Priest spells as well, starting from level four. Currently the spells they have are Halito (fireball, 1 to 8 points of damage) and Katino (sleep), the latter being probably the most handy spell at the moment because it targets the entire enemy group and not just a single enemy.

Let's have MCA cast Katino for the sheer awesomeness of it (and MCA's).

[​IMG]

Trrranslation patch. [​IMG]

While the enemy is asleep, it takes twice the normal damage.

[​IMG]

Witness the power of the popamole!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sometimes our reward comes in the form of a treasure chest. More often than not chests are trapped. To disarm a trap, we must first attempt to identify it, and that's what Thieves are for. (Apart from backstabbing, of course.) The success of an identification attempt probably depends on the Luck attribute (just a wild guess). If the Thief gets the type of the trap wrong... let's just say it's not very pleasant. There's also a level two Priest spell, Calfo, that serves the same purpose, and it also has a slight chance of failing to reveal what the trap really is.

[​IMG] Eh... well... let me a-see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Looks like a... poison needle!

[​IMG] You sure, Dave?

[​IMG] Yeah, I know my needles. Took up knitting when I was working on the Aerie romance.

[​IMG] Helps me pull myself together in between writing the, you know, emotional scenes. "I...I will show you my body, (char name)" *sobs*

[​IMG] *pats Gaider on the back* It's all right, Dave.

[​IMG] Damn, still makes me cry every time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Luckily for us, Gaider identified the trap correctly.

As for the kinds of traps, there are nine in total:

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

After Gaider has successfully disarmed the trap, we receive a whopping 5 gold.

[​IMG]

The next encounter has us face a friendly group of Undead Kobold.

[​IMG]

Your friendly neighbourhood undead? Only in Wizardry!

Too bad we're evil. Too bad for the Kobolds, I mean. You see, the choice to fight a friendly monster group or let them go influences our alignment, and we want to stay evil. We have to fight.

[​IMG] And fight they did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hey, Pete, it's a Draugr!

[​IMG] I know what you're thinking, man. It's not cool. Our lawyers will be in touch.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] You... you missed, MCA-sensei?

[​IMG] Did I?

We defeat the Kobolds, receiving 115 exp and 10 gold.

[​IMG]

Next up: Slimes!

Now you know where the Japs got those annoying enemies from (and have been sticking to them ever since).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Being a Thief, Gaider has the ability to hide in order to prepare a backstab.

[​IMG] Hide in the shadows!

[​IMG]

And then (next round) ambush the hapless Slime.

[​IMG]

Slimes are probably the easiest of all the enemies here on floor one. They only have a handful of HP, and can't even scratch us no matter how hard they try.

[​IMG]

Sometimes, by the way, Gaider fails his stealth check.

[​IMG] Sorry, bros. Them chocolate donuts must be affecting my shape.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are normal, not undead Kobolds. They're supposed to be kind of tough, but Laidlaw puts them all to sleep, and they go down easily.

And the experience we get is the nicest we've had so far.

[​IMG]

And hey, a trapless chest for a change!

[​IMG]

Some slimes reveal themselves to be Bubbly Slimes. Normally, the enemies only reveal their true name after having hit us at least once.

[​IMG]

Looks like... a pressure plate?

[​IMG] A huge button, woohoo!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Turns out it's just a trigger for the above event.

[​IMG] *coughs*

Well, bummer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There's also a "dark zone" we can enter by "opening" one of the walls concealing a secret door. But... well, we're not really supposed to be exploring it right now. More on that in the next update.

[​IMG]

Scruffy Men are another yet unidentified kind of enemy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They are quite agile, and dodge our attacks easily. Fun fact: they even dodge our attacks while asleep. Just how in the earth?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Turns out it's Bushwackers. Think swashbucklers wacking around the bush.

We kill two of them, and the last one flees.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And hey, Pete, Todd and Gaider are ready to level-up!

Next time: we level up and the party fights their first boss fight.
    MicoSelva and Jaesun Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. Ulminati SRB connoisseur Patron

Ulminati
    :what:
    ^ Top  
  6. Peter Cipher

Peter
    :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Augur

lightbane
    Random question: Is it possible in this game to kill yourself by running and bumping against a closed door over and over (like it happened in LBA 1)?
    ^ Top  
  8. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Don't think so, Todd+Pete would have already died if that was the case.
    ^ Top  
  9. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    [​IMG] GAIDER couldn't hide away.
    ^ Top  
  10. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Great job. :lol:
    ^ Top  
  11. Jack █▓▒░

Jack
    Sweet LP, Bee, it's very entertaining.
    :lol: :clap:
    ^ Top  
  12. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Awesome LP. Great stuff. Banter's good, and you're actually doing a game people like (so you'll get replies...precious replies...).

Too bad it will join the ranks of FF8, Crimewave, BG2 (well, Paco or Mico might finish...), and Prisoner of Ice in the purgatory of unfinishedness.

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  13. Peter Cipher

Peter
    Yeah, I'm afraid Ms Bee will get burned out if she puts so much effort into each update.
    ^ Top  
  14. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    I fear so too... though the levels of awseom are over 9000. :love:

I like the art direction in SNES version. Very apporpriate and quite sophisticates. When japs want they can. :rpgcodex:
    ^ Top  
  15. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Hooray for much awesomeness! This was my first ever crpg (on the Apple IIe), and I spent way too much fucking time on that trilogy. As in, I'd set my alarm to wake up at 3 in the morning, so I could 3 extra hours of game-playing before my folks woke up (when I'd sneak back up to bed and pretend to have been sleeping), and my folks were eventually called to see my primary school teacher to explain why I was constantly falling asleep in class.

One question. As you are no doubt aware, most of the levels of this game are entirely skippable if you take the most direct route to the end fight, and that using the skip-most-of-the-levels tactic is quite winnable (with maybe one or two grinding trips just before the final fight to catch up level-wise), and arguably a much more secure path to victory, because the mapping, traps and teleport-fuck-with-your-map-now-you-don't-know-where-the-fucking-stairs-are-and-there-are-pits-everywhere-and-you-have-no-mana-left situations are far more dangerous than the mandatory combats.

So....will you be going straight for the win? Or will you be filling in the levels for the sake of completeness?
    ^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Filling in the levels for the sake of completeness. Showing off the level design is supposed to be the main point of this LP. (Yeah yeah I know. :P)

EDIT. Next update: this Saturday or Sunday.
    ^ Top  
  17. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    This is but a short update, 'cause I kind of need to get the leveling-up mechanics out of the way before we finally get to the real stuff next time.

Floor1, Part 2: Leveling up

Last time, Pete, Todd and that fanfic-loving Bioware dude gained enough exp to level up. Let's see what leveling up in Wizardry is about, then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hello, class. Today we're going to learn to level up.

[​IMG] Hey, I love leveling up!

[​IMG] So you're ready then, huh?

[​IMG] Bring it on, man.

We start with Pete.

[​IMG]

In Wizardry, you only level up when resting. That's why you should rest each time you gain enough exp to reach the next level, and that's why we head to the Adventure's Inn (sic).

[​IMG]

Pete will stay.

[​IMG]

Now here's another thing. You can rest in the stables like a bum, or you can pay for a room. But the problem is, the stables don't let you recover HP; you only recover HP when you pay for the room, with the amount of HP recovered depending on the room type: A cot lets you recover 1 HP, Economy rooms 3 HP, Merchant suites 7 HP, and finally The Royal Suite 10 HP. Makes it rather pricey, doesn't it? Well, the best option is to have your Priest heal the characters and have him rest at the stables, 'cause otherwise things would get real pricey real soon.
    Our characters are all perfectly healthy at the moment, though, so we can leave all those worries aside for now and just go for the stables.

Whenever you rest, it is assumed the character has spent a week at the inn, by the way. Which adds a week to his current age, of course. And yes, you can die of old age in Wizardry.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hell yeah. I feel my power incre--

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The hell, man?... Is this a bug? Can't have bugs, man.

[​IMG] We hate bugs.

[​IMG] Horrible creatures. We sweep 'em under the rug.

[​IMG] There's a rug in our office, you see. Right in the middle of it.

[​IMG] The rug we sweep the bugs under.

[​IMG] And there's a trapdoor under the rug.

[​IMG] Right under, yeah.

[​IMG] So we sweep all the bugs under the rug and press the button.

[​IMG] An awesome button?

[​IMG] Totally.

[​IMG] We press the button, the trapdoor opens, and the bugs fall down.

[​IMG] Right to where the Obsidian guys are sitting.

[​IMG] The Obsidian office's right under ours, you see.

[​IMG] Yeah, it's in our basement.

[​IMG] And that's why only Obsidian games have bugs.

[​IMG] So that's where the bugs are coming from! They're yours!

[​IMG] Nah, man. Bethesda games don't have bugs.

[​IMG] They have features.

[​IMG] Endearing features.

[​IMG] Only Obsidian games have bugs, man.

[​IMG] *sighs*

[​IMG] So is this a bug, man?

[​IMG] No, it's a feature. *grins*

This isn't, of course, a bug. It's a famous Wizardry feature: you can not only gain, but also lose attribute points on the level-up. And yeah, it's totally random. Hardcore!..

Unless you go back in time and re-roll, naturally.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In which case, there may come a time when all the non-18 attributes go up at once, as well as the HP.

[​IMG] Now that's the proper way to level up, man.

Todd's next.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not bad either.

And finally, it's time to improve Gaider's awful max HP.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Epic! Maybe I will get to be a dragon, after all.

Next time: yeah yeah I know bring on the action already
    octavius, Jaesun and MicoSelva Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  19. lightbane Augur

lightbane
    You mean load a save state :M

Lol that leveling up can make you dumber.
    ^ Top  
  20. Black Arcane

Black
    Somehow Pete losing IQ doesn't seem like a bug.
    ^ Top  
  21. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
  22. Anthony Davis Developer

Anthony Davis
    These SNES graphics are quite nice.

Good LP! Keep it up!
    ^ Top  
  23. Humanity has risen! Unwanted Patron Repressed Homosexual

Unwanted
    I don't trust fan-translated roms, or roms with fan hacks. Most of the time the job is done incredibly poorly, and many bugs are introduced, quite often game breaking. After having faced a game-breaking bug at the very end of an incredibly long fan-translated SNES game and other such bugs in other games I resolved never to touch them again.

In Wizardry leveling up happens in a funny way and sometimes stats diminish, but every few levels the statistics are all boosted if they didn't rise enough. I've read that many ports of the game are very bugged and sometimes the character will stay consistently weak, though I think it's mostly the DOS and C64 versions.

Anyway that and the previous post is why I picked the NES version myself, it has no bugs. I also thought the music in the SNES version, while the same as the NES one, sounds worse.
    ^ Top  
  24. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The DOS version is notorious for having stat decreases be as frequent, if not even more so, than increases.

Still, as others have said, in Pete's case it's very fitting :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)