Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizardry!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
spekkio said:
Great job.

:love:

On that note, I have TONS of screens already, but the next update's coming really slow... Plus I won't be drunk again until the week end, and I can't write anything even remotely funny when non-drunk, so the update will have to wait a bit.

spekkio said:
But also another proof that CB is actually a rogue AI made by US Army...

:rpgcodex:

:lol:

Ulminati said:
So Bee is SHODAN and Black Cat is what happened after the japanese stole the source code for SkyNET?

:lol:

TripJack

Hedonist
Crooked Bee said:
This LP is meant to show off the series and its dungeon design (that's why I'll be posting the floor maps too), as well as to LARP a game developer party, not to give up out of frustration

so you will not be ironmanning wiz 4?

this lp is shit

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Floor 1, Part 1: The basics

It looks like our party's all set to whack some dungeon moles. The first floor is easy, since enemies will only get to use magic starting from floor two. In this short update, we'll see our characters learn to open doors, fight enemies, put them to sleep, attack friendlies, wander in the dark, as well as hide in the shadows. Reading is teh hard, so in order to keep updates brief I'll show off leveling up, the first boss fight, the dungeon design, and the first keys we find in the next update.

Anyway, it's time to get started.

01wiz001.png

pete.png
Todd, what's a maze?

01wiz002.png

01wiz003.png

Upon entering the maze, we're given the options to Inspect our characters, Reorder the party, and Equip whatever we haven't equipped yet.

For starters, let's switch Gaider and Sawyer: our Thief should be more well-hidden in the back row, and Josh has decent enough HP and a decent enough weapon to be useful in melee.

01wiz005.png
01wiz006.png

gaider1.jpg
Right behind you, Josh. *winks*

josh.png
Don't.

morrigan1.jpg
Are you sure? *smiles*

josh.png
I... well, in this case... I guess it's all r--

mca1.png
*whispers* It's an illusion, Josh. Strip it away, and the truth will show.

josh.png
I... I'd gladly strip this illusion... I mean, strip it... away... MCA-sensei. But it's too... strong.

mca1.png
*sighs and snaps fingers*

morrigan2.jpg
Aaah! You ruined it, you freak!

mca1.png

01wiz012.png

pete.png
Hey Todd, I think I've just bumped into a door! *anxiously* Has our journey come to an end, Todd?

todd1.png
Shit, I'm at a loss, Pete. There's a reason we only have automatic doors at Bethesda HQ.

pete.png
Hey Laidlaw, we could use an expert's hand at this.

laidlaw1.png
Sure, what seems to be the problem, guys?

pete.png
You see... well, it's complicated, man. Let me just show you...

01wiz012.png

pete.png
*rubs forehead and makes a sad face*

laidlaw1.png
Don't worry, man! They didn't make me the lead on Dragon Age 2 for nothing. Here, try this.

door.png

todd1.png
!!

todd1.png
Majestic!

pete.png
Man, you're the best. We totally hire you once we're outta here.

So let's see what's behind the door.

01wiz015.png

No wonder. Imagine suddenly facing a party of evil game developers!

01wiz017.png

todd1.png
... What do you mean, turn-based?

pete.png
No wonder it's only six of us playing your game, man.

Small Humanoids don't pose any kind of real threat to us. In other words, they are weak.

01wiz026.png
01wiz028.png

pete.png
:bro:
todd1.png

01wiz029.png

mca1.png
Tsk. I see you still haven't learned to fully control your emotions.

josh.png

mca1.png
Josh, your feelings are your weakness.

josh.png
You're always saying the same things, MCA-sensei. *cries* All these years! The same things! Sometimes I wonder if you're ever going to say something... something new! *turns away*

Next round, there are only two Small Humanoids left standing, and we're unscathed.

01wiz033.png

Sawyer has three Priest spells currently: Kalki (lowers the party's AC by one), Dios (heals 1 to 8 hit points), and Milwa (there be light!). And yeah, he can only cast 'em three times in total before he has to rest to replenish the spell points. Hardcore!

We don't need no Priest spells for this fight, though.

01wiz037.png
01wiz039.png

MCA and Laidlaw both have two Mage spells. Being a Bishop, MCA will be getting Priest spells as well, starting from level four. Currently the spells they have are Halito (fireball, 1 to 8 points of damage) and Katino (sleep), the latter being probably the most handy spell at the moment because it targets the entire enemy group and not just a single enemy.

Let's have MCA cast Katino for the sheer awesomeness of it (and MCA's).

01wiz042.png

Trrranslation patch.
emot-argh.gif

While the enemy is asleep, it takes twice the normal damage.

01wiz044.png

Witness the power of the popamole!

01wiz048.png

mca1.png
It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards.

01wiz049.png
01wiz050.png

Sometimes our reward comes in the form of a treasure chest. More often than not chests are trapped. To disarm a trap, we must first attempt to identify it, and that's what Thieves are for. (Apart from backstabbing, of course.) The success of an identification attempt probably depends on the Luck attribute (just a wild guess). If the Thief gets the type of the trap wrong... let's just say it's not very pleasant. There's also a level two Priest spell, Calfo, that serves the same purpose, and it also has a slight chance of failing to reveal what the trap really is.

gaider1.jpg
Eh... well... let me a-see...

01wiz051.png

gaider1.jpg
Looks like a... poison needle!

laidlaw1.png
You sure, Dave?

gaider1.jpg
Yeah, I know my needles. Took up knitting when I was working on the Aerie romance.

gaider1.jpg
Helps me pull myself together in between writing the, you know, emotional scenes. "I...I will show you my body, (char name)" *sobs*

laidlaw1.png
*pats Gaider on the back* It's all right, Dave.

gaider1.jpg
Damn, still makes me cry every time.

01wiz054.png
01wiz055.png

Luckily for us, Gaider identified the trap correctly.

As for the kinds of traps, there are nine in total:

ALARM: Brings in surrounding monsters to do battle with your party.
CLERIC'S CRISIS: Paralyzes all clerics and wizards.
CROSSBOW BOLT: Hits whoever is opening the chest.
EXPLODING BOX: Causes shrapnel damage to all party members.
GAS BOMB: Poison bombs all party members with a chance of actually poisoning them.
MAGE'S MISERY: Paralyzes all mages and wizards.
POISON NEEDLE: Hits the opener with a poisoned needle with a chance of actually poisoning them.
STUNNER: Paralyzes the opener.
TELEPORTER: Randomly teleports the party to another part of the level.

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

01wiz056.png

After Gaider has successfully disarmed the trap, we receive a whopping 5 gold.

01wiz061.png

The next encounter has us face a friendly group of Undead Kobold.

01wiz062.png

Your friendly neighbourhood undead? Only in Wizardry!

Too bad we're evil. Too bad for the Kobolds, I mean. You see, the choice to fight a friendly monster group or let them go influences our alignment, and we want to stay evil. We have to fight.

gaider1.jpg
And fight they did.

01wiz065.png

todd1.png
Hey, Pete, it's a Draugr!

pete.png
I know what you're thinking, man. It's not cool. Our lawyers will be in touch.

01wiz070.png
01wiz071.png

josh.png
You... you missed, MCA-sensei?

mca1.png
Did I?

We defeat the Kobolds, receiving 115 exp and 10 gold.

01wiz101.png

Next up: Slimes!

Now you know where the Japs got those annoying enemies from (and have been sticking to them ever since).

01wiz102.png
01wiz107.png

Being a Thief, Gaider has the ability to hide in order to prepare a backstab.

gaider2.png
Hide in the shadows!

01wiz111.png

And then (next round) ambush the hapless Slime.

01wiz103.png

Slimes are probably the easiest of all the enemies here on floor one. They only have a handful of HP, and can't even scratch us no matter how hard they try.

01wiz133.png

Sometimes, by the way, Gaider fails his stealth check.

gaider1.jpg
Sorry, bros. Them chocolate donuts must be affecting my shape.

01wiz144.png
01wiz149.png

These are normal, not undead Kobolds. They're supposed to be kind of tough, but Laidlaw puts them all to sleep, and they go down easily.

And the experience we get is the nicest we've had so far.

01wiz152.png

And hey, a trapless chest for a change!

01wiz176.png

Some slimes reveal themselves to be Bubbly Slimes. Normally, the enemies only reveal their true name after having hit us at least once.

01wiz184.png

Looks like... a pressure plate?

laidlaw1.png
A huge button, woohoo!

01wiz185.png
01wiz186.png

Turns out it's just a trigger for the above event.

pete.png
*coughs*

Well, bummer.

01wiz189.png
01wiz191.png

There's also a "dark zone" we can enter by "opening" one of the walls concealing a secret door. But... well, we're not really supposed to be exploring it right now. More on that in the next update.

01wiz202.png

Scruffy Men are another yet unidentified kind of enemy.

01wiz204.png
01wiz206.png

They are quite agile, and dodge our attacks easily. Fun fact: they even dodge our attacks while asleep. Just how in the earth?

01wiz208.png
01wiz229.png

Turns out it's Bushwackers. Think swashbucklers wacking around the bush.

We kill two of them, and the last one flees.

01wiz249.png
01wiz250.png

And hey, Pete, Todd and Gaider are ready to level-up!

Next time: we level up and the party fights their first boss fight.

lightbane

Arcane
Random question: Is it possible in this game to kill yourself by running and bumping against a closed door over and over (like it happened in LBA 1)?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Don't think so, Todd+Pete would have already died if that was the case.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I find Gaider's pic creepy now after seeing it so much times in a row.

Awesome LP. Great stuff. Banter's good, and you're actually doing a game people like (so you'll get replies...precious replies...).

Too bad it will join the ranks of FF8, Crimewave, BG2 (well, Paco or Mico might finish...), and Prisoner of Ice in the purgatory of unfinishedness.

sad-batman.jpeg

Peter

Arcane
Yeah, I'm afraid Ms Bee will get burned out if she puts so much effort into each update.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Peter said:
Yeah, I'm afraid Ms Bee will get burned out if she puts so much effort into each update.

I fear so too... though the levels of awseom are over 9000. :love:

I like the art direction in SNES version. Very apporpriate and quite sophisticates. When japs want they can. :rpgcodex:

Hooray for much awesomeness! This was my first ever crpg (on the Apple IIe), and I spent way too much fucking time on that trilogy. As in, I'd set my alarm to wake up at 3 in the morning, so I could 3 extra hours of game-playing before my folks woke up (when I'd sneak back up to bed and pretend to have been sleeping), and my folks were eventually called to see my primary school teacher to explain why I was constantly falling asleep in class.

One question. As you are no doubt aware, most of the levels of this game are entirely skippable if you take the most direct route to the end fight, and that using the skip-most-of-the-levels tactic is quite winnable (with maybe one or two grinding trips just before the final fight to catch up level-wise), and arguably a much more secure path to victory, because the mapping, traps and teleport-fuck-with-your-map-now-you-don't-know-where-the-fucking-stairs-are-and-there-are-pits-everywhere-and-you-have-no-mana-left situations are far more dangerous than the mandatory combats.

So....will you be going straight for the win? Or will you be filling in the levels for the sake of completeness?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Filling in the levels for the sake of completeness. Showing off the level design is supposed to be the main point of this LP. (Yeah yeah I know. :P)

EDIT. Next update: this Saturday or Sunday.

Crooked Bee

Patron
This is but a short update, 'cause I kind of need to get the leveling-up mechanics out of the way before we finally get to the real stuff next time.

Floor1, Part 2: Leveling up

Last time, Pete, Todd and that fanfic-loving Bioware dude gained enough exp to level up. Let's see what leveling up in Wizardry is about, then.

01wiz250.png

du2.jpg
Hello, class. Today we're going to learn to level up.

pete.png
Hey, I love leveling up!

du2.jpg
So you're ready then, huh?

pete.png
Bring it on, man.

We start with Pete.

01wiz255.png

In Wizardry, you only level up when resting. That's why you should rest each time you gain enough exp to reach the next level, and that's why we head to the Adventure's Inn (sic).

01wiz256.png

Pete will stay.

01wiz257.png

Now here's another thing. You can rest in the stables like a bum, or you can pay for a room. But the problem is, the stables don't let you recover HP; you only recover HP when you pay for the room, with the amount of HP recovered depending on the room type: A cot lets you recover 1 HP, Economy rooms 3 HP, Merchant suites 7 HP, and finally The Royal Suite 10 HP. Makes it rather pricey, doesn't it? Well, the best option is to have your Priest heal the characters and have him rest at the stables, 'cause otherwise things would get real pricey real soon.
Our characters are all perfectly healthy at the moment, though, so we can leave all those worries aside for now and just go for the stables.

Whenever you rest, it is assumed the character has spent a week at the inn, by the way. Which adds a week to his current age, of course. And yes, you can die of old age in Wizardry.

01wiz259.png
01wiz260.png

pete.png
Hell yeah. I feel my power incre--

01wiz276.png

pete.png
The hell, man?... Is this a bug? Can't have bugs, man.

todd1.png
We hate bugs.

pete.png
Horrible creatures. We sweep 'em under the rug.

todd1.png
There's a rug in our office, you see. Right in the middle of it.

pete.png
The rug we sweep the bugs under.

todd1.png
And there's a trapdoor under the rug.

pete.png
Right under, yeah.

todd1.png
So we sweep all the bugs under the rug and press the button.

laidlaw1.png
An awesome button?

pete.png
Totally.

todd1.png
We press the button, the trapdoor opens, and the bugs fall down.

pete.png
Right to where the Obsidian guys are sitting.

todd1.png
The Obsidian office's right under ours, you see.

pete.png
Yeah, it's in our basement.

todd1.png
And that's why only Obsidian games have bugs.

josh.png
So that's where the bugs are coming from! They're yours!

todd1.png
Nah, man. Bethesda games don't have bugs.

pete.png
They have features.

todd1.png
Endearing features.

pete.png
Only Obsidian games have bugs, man.

josh.png
*sighs*

pete.png
So is this a bug, man?

du2.jpg
No, it's a feature. *grins*

This isn't, of course, a bug. It's a famous Wizardry feature: you can not only gain, but also lose attribute points on the level-up. And yeah, it's totally random. Hardcore!..

Unless you go back in time and re-roll, naturally.

01wiz275.png
01wiz282.png

In which case, there may come a time when all the non-18 attributes go up at once, as well as the HP.

pete.png
Now that's the proper way to level up, man.

Todd's next.

01wiz300.png
01wiz301.png

Not bad either.

And finally, it's time to improve Gaider's awful max HP.

01wiz313.png
01wiz316.png

gaider1.jpg
Epic! Maybe I will get to be a dragon, after all.

Next time: yeah yeah I know bring on the action already

Kz3r0

Arcane
So Pete lost IQ the first time?Quite fitting.
Never know that this game possessed such advanced heuristic routines. :thumbsup:

Repressed Homosexual
I don't trust fan-translated roms, or roms with fan hacks. Most of the time the job is done incredibly poorly, and many bugs are introduced, quite often game breaking. After having faced a game-breaking bug at the very end of an incredibly long fan-translated SNES game and other such bugs in other games I resolved never to touch them again.

In Wizardry leveling up happens in a funny way and sometimes stats diminish, but every few levels the statistics are all boosted if they didn't rise enough. I've read that many ports of the game are very bugged and sometimes the character will stay consistently weak, though I think it's mostly the DOS and C64 versions.

Anyway that and the previous post is why I picked the NES version myself, it has no bugs. I also thought the music in the SNES version, while the same as the NES one, sounds worse.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Humanity has risen! said:
I've read that many ports of the game are very bugged and sometimes the character will stay consistently weak, though I think it's mostly the DOS and C64 versions.
The DOS version is notorious for having stat decreases be as frequent, if not even more so, than increases.

Still, as others have said, in Pete's case it's very fitting :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom