Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's stop pretending that Telltale "games" are actually games

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
One of the great things about video games is actually being able to play them. Telltale "games" are "choose your own adventure" stories with very limited interaction. They are not games in the truest sense of the word. They're interactive stories, and they're shitty at even that. They have terrible fucking plots, a fucking toddler could come up with better stories. These "games" barely have any gameplay outside of hitting A or whatever to select what shitty piece of dialogue you want to progress the story. They say these "games" are in the vain of old "point and click adventures", but they're absolutely not. Only 1 or 2 of these "games" have any real gameplay (I recall maybe 1 puzzle in The Walking Dead), the rest was just choosing some dialogue options and watching how shit played out in very predictable ways. The only meaningful choices I remember was "lol who should I kill?". And of course you don't get a real choice here, you get a pretend choice that the developers decide for you. You either choose option a or option b, either fucking way you're not making a real choice in a true sense. You don't have the option to try to save both, like any good RPG would let you do.

Not only that, but not 1 Telltale employee has any real talent. They've been doing the same garbage for as long as I remember, and the ONLY REASON their games sell is because they tack on already super popular IP names. When any ol fucking normie sees "MINECRAFT" they're going to buy the fucking game. Of course they probably missed the small print below "MINECRAFT" that says "a Telltale game", but maybe that was the fucking point to begin with. They're a leech. They attach themselves to already successfull IPS and drain the life of anyone who's a fan.

GO READ A FUCKING BOOK.

Telltale is a garbage developer. If you're giving them money then you're part of the problem and you're my enemy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Telltale used to make half-decent adventure games. I think either Sam & Max Season 3 or Back to the Future: The Game was among their last decent adventure games. Then they went full retard with Walking Dead around 2012 and haven't looked back since.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I once had hopes for them because the Monkey Island game they did was good.

But then they abandoned adventure games for interactive movies.

Meh.

It's also funny how not a single game of theirs is based on an original IP.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's also funny how not a single game of theirs is based on an original IP.

header.jpg

Throw in their very first game (a poker game) and you have a whoppin' 3 titles based on original IP in the Telltale "catalogue".

rezaf

Cipher
I thought the first The Walking Dead series had a decent plot, at least if you only played it once. Unfortunately, the illusion of choice fell completely apart if you replayed.

Actual VNs have usually far superior plots and actual C&C though. Sure, TT tries to compensate by having sprawling interactive sequences (telling the player to walk down a road and disabling all but the move forward buttons), but I sure wish they'd take a hint or two from their japanese colleagues.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
sprawling interactive sequences (telling the player to walk down a road and disabling all but the move forward buttons)

wow, the gameplay

I'm falling off my chair from excitement

Perhaps you'd like to try some other choices if this one was not exciting enough?

How about:

-Intentionally fall off your chair
-Get your leg caught in the chair while getting up and fall over
-Do nothing (And still fall over).

And remember, "THE CODEXERS WILL REMEMBER YOUR CHOICE."

Grzka

Novice
The only Telltale game I bought was The Walking Dead (season 1), and that's because fucking everyone bought and/or played that. It's a fairly good narrative game that had a great amount of emotional depth even if the actual gameplay segments were clunky and it hinges on the illusion of choice and becomes disappointing on subsequent playthroughs. The Poker Night games, though, are really comfy and are probably the most fun I've had with a Telltale title. I just wish they had recorded more lines for the characters. You'll get repeat lines very quickly.

If you want a true successor to point n' clicks or adventure games in general, the (fairly) new King's Quest game by Odd Gentlemen is pretty damn fun and is especially charming.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I just bought the walking dead season 2 I didn't know I would anger people I'm very sorry I didn't mean it

Morkar Left

I watched longplays without commentary on youtube when I was in a mood of watching TV. Telltales "games" are entertaining movies to watch but only thinking about "playing" one of their games alienates me. They should stop making games alltogether and only produce animated series to someone others franchises, maybe with some CYOA on some plot arcs (getting the viewer to make a decision if 1 or 2 should happen). But games? lol

One of the great things about video games is actually being able to play them. Telltale "games" are "choose your own adventure" stories with very limited interaction. They are not games in the truest sense of the word. They're interactive stories, and they're shitty at even that. They have terrible fucking plots, a fucking toddler could come up with better stories. These "games" barely have any gameplay outside of hitting A or whatever to select what shitty piece of dialogue you want to progress the story. They say these "games" are in the vain of old "point and click adventures", but they're absolutely not. (...)

I'm not disagreeing here, as their games from the last few years are more or less as you describe, but Telltale will always have a place in my heart (and game library) for making more Sam & Max games (even if they weren't as good as the first one in gameplay, the humor was spot on) and reprinting the Sam & Max comics, which were quite hard to find before.

pippin

You've have to be really young to think Telltale were the first "non game" developer, though. They aren't. Funny how back in the day many people accused stuff like The Dig or Loom of being nongames too. Remember the Space Quest spoofs? Also CYOA are games just like any other, remember that people like to throw a ball from one side to the other using giant spoons, for instance. The problem here is that Telltale stuff is just lazy and bottom of the barrel.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You've have to be really young to think Telltale were the first "non game" developer, though. They aren't. Funny how back in the day many people accused stuff like The Dig or Loom of being nongames too. Remember the Space Quest spoofs? Also CYOA are games just like any other, remember that people like to throw a ball from one side to the other using giant spoons, for instance. The problem here is that Telltale stuff is just lazy and bottom of the barrel.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where did Telltale touch you? Just kidding, I think most people know that these "games" are not games.

... and it seems season 3 of The Walking Dead is even worse in this regard. Was watching a LP for a bit, and you don't even get to walk around in that one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Telltale used to make half-decent adventure games. I think either Sam & Max Season 3 or Back to the Future: The Game was among their last decent adventure games. Then they went full retard with Walking Dead around 2012 and haven't looked back since.

Indeed. As soon as they started making these NOT-Games, the money poured in by the truckload. Do you really blame them? I don't.

There is at least a decent selection of adventure games being made thankfully now days by other developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom