Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about game remasters

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Naraya, Apr 11, 2017.

?

Remasters gud?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Depends

49 vote(s)
    59.8%
  4. What can change the nature of a man?

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. DavidBVal Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Adapting better to modern screen resolutions and aspect ratios, improving compatibility, stability, etc is right.

Adding or "improving" content sucks. If you think the classics were not good enough, go make a better game, ffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. sullynathan Cipher

sullynathan
    Parrots:
    Some companies do, that's why re remake is better than re

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Parrots:
    It depends on the actual work put behind it, shit like what BeamDog is doing are just cash-grabs based on a popular IP, since they barely do any actual art/sound/development, but instead fix just a few bugs and compatibility issues and re-release. They do a lot less than some larger developers do with a single big Patch to a game and don't even come close to the Witcher GOTY releases or similar.

On the other hand I'd say things like these are worthwhile:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I loved about the Monkey Island: SE and why I don't mind the changes too much is that you could switch between "classic" Monkey Island and the "Remake" with the flip of a button.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gunnar Learned

Gunnar
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Naraya Savant

Naraya
    Parrots:
    ^ right, I forgot about those. It's definitely labour of love.

As for Monkey Island, I couldn't stand the remakes. The classic switch is the only redeeming quality :P

^ Top  
  6. Delbaeth Learned

Delbaeth
    Parrots:
    There's another old game remastered (or remade) as example: Seven cities of gold (Hardcoregaming 101 has a page on it)

Show Spoiler

Amiga
    [​IMG]

PC
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Going to be interesting when we reach the stage when we need remasters of remasters because future computers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Delbaeth Learned

Delbaeth
    Parrots:
    Well it's already the case for a few.
    Take the firts Ys games for instance, or the first Tex Murphy: Mean Streets > Overseer > The Poisoned Pawn.

And there's the Dune II case, where you have the Westwood's remake Dune 2000, but then, you have few community remasters of Dune 2, and the Dune 2000 mod for OpenRA.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lostpleb Learned

Lostpleb
    Parrots:
    I think it's nice when my favorite classics run on Windows 10 and without the need for dos-box.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Maybe. I not versed in that franchise. I did a search on Steam and holy bananas. There is a lot of Serious Sam games.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    Remasters are only good when it's actually a remaster, the assets were originally a higher quality but toned down to fit in the game.

Enhanced remakes/ports or enhanced editions can be good, but they aren't remasters. Something like Fallout (great game, terrible engine) could benefit from one greatly (but won't happen because Interplay were idiots and lost the code and art for the game)

^ Top  
  13. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. sser Arcane

sser
    Parrots:
    I'd gladly pay a $5-10 convenience fee to get some of the older games to work flawlessly on this generation's tech.

^ Top  
  15. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Parrots:
    Isn't that what they do with most/all GoG releases though? Doesn't really fall under remaster/remaking. Plus I think remasters tend to go for 10-20 and complete remakes are often full price.

^ Top  
  16. sser Arcane

sser
    Parrots:
    I still find myself having to implement workarounds to make a lot of GOG games work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Learning the basics of how to configure dosbox visuals and audio will enhance your enjoyment of lots of GOG titles. Relying on whatever default GOG configured for the lowest common denominator is silly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Parrots:
    Default GOG configuration is stretched image (probably since the lowest common GOG customer can't cope with black bars on the sides) and too low CPU cycles.

But the only GOG game that I've tried so far that didn't work right away was Quake 2 for some reason. But since I already beat it twice I couldn't be bothered to diagnose the problem, and skipped it.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)