Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Levelling systems

laclongquan

Arcane
PK is basically a minitank. Treat them as such and you wont have much problems.

I will illustrate the most troublesome aspect of LBD preventation of exploits: Raising skill. Engineer is raised by using ENG action, such as lockpicks to pick locks, trap probes to disarm trap, and setting traps with explosives. It's has a level cap, and class cap, and items are limited by restock after storied missions. Nevertheless, we can find random encounters that provide loots in the form of ENG items like picks and probes, and we can trap/disarm to raise the skill. That is the first problem of the solutions, you can never sweep clean of item availability.

In S3 and HS, item availability is solved by money to buy them, and money is scarce along with item. Same deal still happen. We can find a way to find supplement ENG item, and we can use setting traps to get further.

Of course, there're also the infamous problem of ENG item resupply after storied missions. As in, it doesnt get resupply in a consistent manner, especially the Axis campaign. While it's faithful to reality, it's still a headache in gameplay.

Roid King

Educated
Well, how far would you take the concept of "exploitation"? Aren't all games with more than a set number of scripted encounters exploitable?

laclongquan

Arcane
You push hard on the item limitation and you quality control the fuck out of the REs. The problem of Silent Storm is simply a problem of QC.

Of course, the inconsistent resupply of items through storied mission is hard too. But QC should have caught them all.

I can still arm the grenades to raise skill, but there's just no way to stop a powergamer.

Roid King

Educated
I need to replay SS, because I can not really remember the exact mechanics.

Is Hammer & sickle any good by the way? I've heard very conflicting opinions, mostly about technical issues (which was a big problem for me in SS, especially broken save games).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom