Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lewl

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
lewl5wc.gif

>_>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
It's definetely bleak. I just thought about a barebones design before attempting to go any further. I didn't even use any backgrounds, yet I have about three or four that I could use. Just the basics.

But the design sucks, Ap_Jolly's is teh win anyway.

PS: Avante works fine for now. I might change sometime soon, though.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
True. I'm working on a darker appearance for the overal site layout.

By the by, the text and images appear blurry because they aren't very optimized and also suffered trough furious scaling - end results are meant to be different.

Deathy

Liturgist
Could you send me the .PSD file for the main graphic?
I'd like to look at how you've worked it and how it's supposed to look, just for reference and education.

Tintin

Arbiter
Wow. You guys really should have kept the design guy on staff.

Deathy

Liturgist
Tintin said:

Hey, fuck you, motherfucker.

We had our reasons for taking exitium off staff, and now we have to deal with the consequences of it.

And besides, IMO simpler sites are better, since they don't fuck browsers over quite so much, and keep the bandwidth footprint fairly low.

Tintin

Arbiter
Deathy said:
Tintin said:
and now we have to deal with the consequences of it.

You sure do.

BTW there's a difference between simplicity and crap. The original phpbb theme is simple, but not crap.

Deathy

Liturgist
Tintin said:
Deathy said:
Tintin said:
and now we have to deal with the consequences of it.

You sure do.

BTW there's a difference between simplicity and crap. The original phpbb theme is simple, but not crap.

Yeah, well, I'm not pretending to know what I'm doing, and I think, neither is Role-Player. We're just trying to come up with something that is suitable.

Will you stop visiting the site if we put in a crap design?

EDIT: Also, constructive criticism would be preferred to the "OMG IS T3H CRAP!" stuff

Deathy

Liturgist
Well yeah. I'm fairly certain we all know that these designs aren't much good, ameteurish at best.

What I'd like to know is if you would have any ideas that could improve on them. Otherwise, you're just spouting crap that isn't help to anybody.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
On the way, Deathy.

By the way, since I can't PM you and I don't want to bother Vault Dweller, did you get my email yesterday with the buttons? Any suggestions?

Deathy

Liturgist
Yeah, I've been recieving your PM's, too, so whatever error comes up is likely bullshit.

As for the buttons, They're pretty decent, although fairly generic. The text possibly could use some work, although I'm not too sure about what kind of work.

What do you think about resizing the width of the buttons according to how much text is in there?

Tintin

Arbiter
Okay, you asked for it, you got it.

Submission #1 in the first post:

Main Eyesores: The grey bar on the left is way too wide. Way too much empty space. The white area between the navigation and the content is too wide. Look at the current layout of the main content section. Everything is placed close together, with just enough space to keep it from suffocating. Also, site navigation bar looks out of place because it is not blended in any way with the bar. White background looks horrible. If you're using white as a background you can't let it into the middle so much like that, it just looks like a white void with a few boxes thrown in. Also, no borders. Everything looks like it was made with the rectangle tool in paint. Also, if you're going to make such a wide site, you have to give it some effects, color gradient or something to keep those boxes from looking so lifeless. If you want solid colour, you can't make those boxes so huge, it looks too newish & empty. Like
this site, which doesn't have any embossing or gradients, but everything is tight-knit. The biggest problem: the white background that looks like it's trying to swallow the website.

Layout #2 from Deathy

Main Eyesores: Nav bar in the background. You have to give it a box to be in too, or it feels unbalanced. Also, banner. Look at the banner of the current style. Even after the logo ends, there's still some texture to keep it interesting, but you just cut it off into boring background colour. Also, thin lines with no borders or purpose look bad. Finally, the logo text is too dull. Give it some style.

Shadowstrider

Liturgist
First rule of site design is to ensure that the PRIMARY (this does not apply to secondary or beyond, though doesn't hurt) menu is fully displayed in the target resolution (something which Exitium's site design failed to do, unless the target resolution was bigger than 1152x864).

The second rule is to ensure that the background, background text, background link, foreground, foreground text and foreground links are all clearly discernable from one another. Meaning you don't want white standard font leading into a white link, written on a light grey background. The colors must also compliment each other enough to appeal. I find the grey links on navy blue background of the current skin to be hard to read, compounded by the small font. Thats not to say it is impossible to read, just difficult.

I can throw together something simple for you jokers to clown with.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Deathy said:
What do you think about resizing the width of the buttons according to how much text is in there?

I was considering doing that, but was afraid some buttons would just become too small. I'm thinking of drawing the font instead of using a premade one, and having a fixed button size, though. We'll see how it works.

When I tried sending you the PM's I always got a 500 internal error. If you can receive them anyway, I'll probably PM you again when needed.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I prefer std-size buttons to buttons that fit to the text.
As far as design stuff goes, Im in favour of minimalistic web pages. In fact, I prefer links over buttons; like Slashdot, but tidier.
Hell, I'd take Deathy's effort and do some work on finding a decent font (Times NR doesn't look right there); and get the proportions right on the table rows (narrow/big/narrow), and then run with it. Bits can be tweaked later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom