Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lewl

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You get a thumbs up for making the buttons clear to read. Can we get away from dank colours though? I don't thikn the site needs cheering up but it feels a bit too dark for me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Never forget. Never surrender. Long live the power of Sol!

P.S. RP, you are cool; but your little sample of a new Codex screen not so much. Just sayin'. <>

Ibbz

Augur
I whipped this up earlier:

It needs a fair bit more work - eg the nav bar needs to be replaced and the banner needs to blend in better. If people like the style, I'll continue with it, if not I wont bother.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, Ibbz design is as of yet the best - by far (although not stellar). What's irking me is that every redesign just looks like a different version of the old site. How about actually trying to implement some change and/or new features? When I sat down to sketch on a new design a year(?) or so back I was down a whole othe route than the one the codex is currently going. Maybe I should actually finish that damned sketch... :lol:

Sarvis

Erudite
Role-Player said:
PS: Avante works fine for now. I might change sometime soon, though.

Friend of mine at work got me using Avant for a couple weeks. After finally getting frustrated with it's flaws and moving back to Opera, I know have HIM using Opera and he loves it!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That is good; but the current one still rules all.

I will never forget my Sol though. Never.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm intrigued by the design. Certainly the white and light blue work well I think. Needs more colour to spruce up the white (light blue borders or something perhaps?) and I'm not a fan of shrinking the Codex' width. Codex should be full-screen no matter what browser. "Headlines" and "features" words were a smidge too big and should be... fancier (for lack of a better word). Not the words but maybe a background, on a button or with a border or something rather than a fancier font (which would be just dumb).

Mistress

Liturgist
I like the white/blue - perhaps a nice clean fresh look would be good.

One thing I would say in any new design - can the big block ad at the top of the page go somewhere else?

Ibbz

Augur
Btw - stop designing in html for crying out loud. That's like sewing a shirt without a fucking pattern. DESIGN first... implementation fucking later.
I was just using a html template I made at Uni & some old codex image designs i had laying about, most of the stuff was already done.

I'm intrigued by the design. Certainly the white and light blue work well I think. Needs more colour to spruce up the white (light blue borders or something perhaps?) and I'm not a fan of shrinking the Codex' width. Codex should be full-screen no matter what browser. "Headlines" and "features" words were a smidge too big and should be... fancier (for lack of a better word). Not the words but maybe a background, on a button or with a border or something rather than a fancier font (which would be just dumb).
Yeah, i was thinking the width was too small - although for users who view the website in 1024 res, it'd be pretty close to full screen. The design is a more or less a prototype, I'm actually thinking of redoing it using CSS for the bulk of it and minimizing the amount of jpg graphics. I'll post another version on the weekend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mistress said:
One thing I would say in any new design - can the big block ad at the top of the page go somewhere else?

Yeah, where the ads go is probably one of the big, most important things in the new design. They have to be up near the top and we have to retain all the ads we've currently got.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Ibbz said:
Btw - stop designing in html for crying out loud. That's like sewing a shirt without a fucking pattern. DESIGN first... implementation fucking later.
I was just using a html template I made at Uni & some old codex image designs i had laying about, most of the stuff was already done..

I wasn't referring specifically to you, just so you know. Roleplayer and Deathy both did the same - so it was just a general advice of sorts.

Spazmo

Erudite
Whippo--your sketch from last year was really neat and I've love to see that idea more fully developed.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
May I suggest a new logo?

anticleve5yn.png

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Never forget. Never surrender. Long live the power of Sol!

P.S. RP, you are cool; but your little sample of a new Codex screen not so much. Just sayin'. <>

You're right. However that was just planning. I wouldn't suggest the Codex should look like that unless I was being held at gunpoint, and even then... It was to get a reaction for the layout.

Lewl 2

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8061/lewl7jp.gif

Fugly, yes. No news there.

Main considerations:

• Banner is empty because I have yet to receive the Roman die from Saint. Otherwise I'll do some other thing and put it there until I have the image.
  • I was considering placing the advertisement at the top, right next to the banner sides (ie, one part in the left, the other on the right), but the ad is a bit too big. Not sure where to place it now.
  • Color schemes can change. So can fonts.

Tintin

Arbiter
The nav bars juststicking oout of the sides look ugly, either put them up at the top beside the banner, or put them under it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/8234/kekeke9fp.gif

Way too huge. Plus, we're ditching the old subtitle for a new one. It's pretty though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom