Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Released on Steam

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Final Fantasy XIII; Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns; Square Enix

The moment we (i.e., myself and felipepepe) have been waiting for has finally arrived: Lightning Returns, the last part of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, is out on Steam after a long, nerve-wracking delay. Supposedly, the PC port features higher FPS and other graphics-enhancing options, which, if true, would make it significantly less of a half-assed effort than Square Enix's abominably looking upcoming Final Fantasy VI port.

Lightning Returns is the concluding chapter of the Final Fantasy XIII saga and series heroine Lightning's final battle. The grand finale of the trilogy brings a world reborn as well as free character customization and stunning action based battles.

The world is sinking into a sea of chaos, and in thirteen days, nothing will remain. Though the planet is doomed, there is still hope for those who call it home. After centuries in crystal stasis, a hero has awoken—a legendary warrior on a god-given mission to save the souls of mankind. Her name: Lightning. Blessed with incredible strength and an arsenal of new weapons, she has everything she needs for the coming battle. Everything except time. And now she must make an impossible choice...

ACTION-ORIENTED COMBAT
A new battle system gives a level of direct control over the action unlike any FINAL FANTASY game, while having iconic elements that are known and loved throughout the series too.

DLC CONTENT FROM THE ORIGINAL CONSOLE VERSION
The PC release will also include all the amazing DLC content from the original console version*, including Japanese voice-overs and various costumes, shields and weapons.
*Except for “FFVII Aerith Costume”

A CONSTANTLY MOVING, BEAUTIFUL WORLD
Stunning artistic direction depicts a doomed world filled with choice and diversity. Living, expansive environments featuring a rising and setting sun provide unique experiences for every player.

USE YOUR TIME WELL
A world on a course for total annihilation presents unique challenges; where certain areas, missions, and people will only be available during selected periods. How will you use your remaining time?

Supports graphics options intended for high-end PCs:
- Rendering resolution
- Scaling of the display area
- Shadow processing
- Texture filters
- Colour correction
- Depth of field
- Lighting
- Glare
Supports full screen and windowed display modes
Supports a maximum frame rate of 60fps
Supports Full HD display with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080​

60 FPS is nice and all, but where the hell's my Aerith costume??

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And FFXIII-2 is still best in the series right?

BTW kick the moogle is in FFXIII-2 or LR?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What is this new combat system? The combat in XIII was so fucking terrible.

It seems to be close to Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, if you played that one (it's considered to be good). Tri-Ace was involved with this game, too.

The time system is supposedly pretty interesting as well, limiting what you can do in a single playthrough. (Although there are ways to game/break the system, from what I've heard.)

And FFXIII-2 is still best in the series right?

BTW kick the moogle is in FFXIII-2 or LR?

FF XIII-2, assuming you mean throwing, not kicking. 13-2 and LR seem to be too different to compare; both have some interesting mechanics, though.

Viata

Arcane
Supports graphics options intended for high-end PCs:
- Rendering resolution
- Scaling of the display area
- Shadow processing
- Texture filters
- Colour correction
- Depth of field
- Lighting
- Glare
Supports full screen and windowed display modes
Supports a maximum frame rate of 60fps
Supports Full HD display with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080​
Out of curiosity: are theses graphics options available to FFXIII too? I bought the game, couldn't play it above 15fps(shit port) and finished the whole series on friend's PS3. But I'm curious if the XIII is still unplayable(no change since release) or Squenix did fix it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Out of curiosity: are theses graphics options available to FFXIII too? I bought the game, couldn't play it above 15fps(shit port) and finished the whole series on friend's PS3. But I'm curious if the XIII is still unplayable(no change since release) or Squenix did fix it.

They fixed the FPS to "smooth 30 FPS" (tm), for what it's worth, so it's not 15 FPS anymore. However, it doesn't feature 60 FPS or any advanced options like that, no. That port was a mess (I still remember the game shutting down abruptly on pressing ESC, lol), but SE seem to have put more effort into their FF13 ports since then.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I would like to know more about the return of the lightning. This is very important to me. So important that I will never click on this thread again. Do you know the meaning of never, you fool? It means I will never love you again

Arthandas

Liturgist
They fixed the FPS to "smooth 30 FPS" (tm), for what it's worth, so it's not 15 FPS anymore.
I was never able to maintain "smooth" 30 FPS. In combat it most often dropped to 20-25.
(...) but SE seem to have put more effort into their FF13 ports since then.
Not really.

I'd like to know if Lightning Returns is any different port-wise. Did anyone already play the Steam version?

Viata

Arcane

They fixed the FPS to "smooth 30 FPS" (tm), for what it's worth, so it's not 15 FPS anymore. However, it doesn't feature 60 FPS or any advanced options like that, no. That port was a mess (I still remember the game shutting down abruptly on pressing ESC, lol), but SE seem to have put more effort into their FF13 ports since then.

Oh that's good. I may buy XII-2 and Lightning Returns down the road just to show support and make Squenix release Dragon Quest on PC.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Never had 15 FPS in my playtrough of FFXIII and I'm at these large plains full of animals.

GTX 660 and 3.7 GHz quad core.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Weeboo Codex.
715tPIK.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Not really.

I'd like to know if Lightning Returns is any different port-wise. Did anyone already play the Steam version?

Ppl at neogaf are playing it and reporting 60 FPS from what I'm seeing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153838&page=6

I don't remember any FPS drops in FF XIII-2, it ran pretty good for me; but it was 30, not 60 FPS either. As for 25 FPS in combat in XIII, maybe, I don't remember. Still, they did fix it compared to the initial release. For Square Enix, this is a lot of effort!

Viata

Arcane

Right here:

The "FFVII Aerith" schemata is not included in this pack. Furthermore, there are no plans to make this schemata available in future.

I feel vaguely proud of myself that I have no idea who or what Aerith is.
Some stupid bitch who is praised for being the second important character to be killed by the villain in the series.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Right here:

The "FFVII Aerith" schemata is not included in this pack. Furthermore, there are no plans to make this schemata available in future.

I feel vaguely proud of myself that I have no idea who or what Aerith is.
Some stupid bitch who is praised for being the second important character to be killed by the villain in the series.

Shit spoilers man!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Speaking of which, FFX-2 is probably going to become a Codex favorite when it comes out on PC.
???

It's out on PC for several years on PS2 emulator. And these GFX filters improved it massively in contrast to PS2. It's pointless to play it before finishing FFX, so why would it become favorite?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Weeaboo, Weeaboo
Weeaboo, Weeaboo
Oh, shelve your Western plans
And understand
That life is hard enough when you belong here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom