Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline List of overrated RPGs

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Ok here is a list of RPGs which are vastly overrated

1) Planescape Torment - banal, boring, shit combat, too much reading, most people will get bored after first 2 hours
2) VTM Bloodlines - hurr durr vampire larp
3) Gothic 1 and 2 - euro shit trash action rpg by germans
4) Dark soul series - arpgs are shit ok? Action rpgs should not be even called rpgs
5) Witcher series and especialy Witcher 3 - don't even get me started on combat
6) Morrowind - dumbed down Daggerfall, from a tactical dungeon crawler to a story fag intense movie, yea i can see why some people would love it.
7) Deus ex - another game that mistaken it's genre, a stealth game as an FPS JUST DOES NOT WORK

Vastly underrated

New Vegas, probably the most finest RPG since old Fallouts held back by a shitty engine but Obsidian tried to salvage what was possible

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

1) Planescape Torment - banal, boring, shit combat, too much reading, most people will get bored after first 2 hours
4) Dark soul series - arpgs are shit ok? Action rpgs should not be even called rpgs
6) Morrowind - dumbed down Daggerfall, from a tactical dungeon crawler to a story fag intense movie, yea i can see why some people would love it.
7) Deus ex - another game that mistaken it's genre, a stealth game as an FPS JUST DOES NOT WORK

Vastly underrated

New Vegas, probably the most finest RPG since old Fallouts held back by a shitty engine but Obsidian tried to salvage what was possible

2/10, try harder.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Poorly made troll thread but i'll bite friend.

I agree with #2 VTM Bloodlines is just isn't as good as codex thinks it is, even if you ignore all the blatant technical flaws and the fact the game needs a fan patch to be remotely enjoyable, the gameplay is shit. there's no excusing it, I enjoy the story a lot but the fact of the matter is I'm playing a videogame and story is only a blip in the presentation. Stealth system is atrocious and combat might as well not exist in that game, furthermore the ai is pissed poor which kind of ruins the allure of the non lethal ways the game gives you to solve conflicts.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Poorly made troll thread but i'll bite friend.

I agree with #2 VTM Bloodlines is just isn't as good as codex thinks it is, even if you ignore all the blatant technical flaws and the fact the game needs a fan patch to be remotely enjoyable, the gameplay is shit. there's no excusing it, I enjoy the story a lot but the fact of the matter is I'm playing a videogame and story is only a blip in the presentation. Stealth system is atrocious and combat might as well not exist in that game, furthermore the ai is pissed poor which kind of ruins the allure of the non lethal ways the game gives you to solve conflicts.

There are cute chicks in the game. This balances out all technical flaws easily.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I'm currently slogging through the Gold Box D&D games. Almost every single encounter consists of trash mobs, the writing would warrant a C- in third grade and the art direction is jejune even by turn-of-the-90's standards. I would immediately give up on these venerable turds if my completist impulse weren't so strong. Tyranny, which gets a lot of knee-jerk flak here due to the Dex's cult-like ethos, is a frankly superior game in every way, pace your deliquescent memory. Even its combat is more varied and compelling than that of its cash cow ancestors.

hivemind

Trash mobs made sense in old RPGs because only nerds with nothing to do played them at that time, but today there are many high powered and successful people playing these types of games and endless trashmobs just waste our valuable time. That's why their presence is ok in old games but haram in modern ones.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I actually agree with all of it, except for PST.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Vastly underrated

Where's the effort, man? This is the most banal and cliched way to shitpost in gaming discussion :negative:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

This is the only overrated game in that list.

It's amazing compared to Skyrim. It's superficial as fuck compared to other RPGs, most obviously, Gothic. I don't pretend Morrowind to have Gothic's complexity, because Morrowind's scale is off the charts. But no one put a gun to Bethesda's head and told them "make me an open world RPG".

For reference, I've played almost all of those except Dark Souls and VTM.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
We definitely need an edgy button.

This shit doesn't warrant an 'edgy' button, but the OP does deserve a 'possibly retarded' tag or better yet one of these:

banned.gif

for such a piss poor, by the numbers troll attempt.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

I actually agree with all of it, except for PST.
:shittydog:

RuySan

Augur
Overrated by whom?

If we're talking about mainstream critics the list is just too big. If it's about the codex hive-mind, I'll say Arcanum, PST and possibly Temple of Elemental Evil.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
From OP's list:
1. Disagree
2. Never played it. (... yeah)
3. Used to agree but after actually playing 1, disagree
4. Fuck you
5. Agree
6. It's not really rated that high anyway
7. OP is shit

I'll add:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Trails in the Sky
3. Dragon's Dogma

Repressed Homosexual
PST is definitely a terribly overrated game, I don't remember anything about it other than endless pretentious dialogue over dadaesque situations and landscapes for the sake of it. You have to be fucking shitting me if you think it's an "all-time masterpiece". You're not an acne-ridden hormonally unbalanced teen anymore trying to find himself through a videogame to compensate for being bullied at school.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Might&Magic 3-5. By many considered the best of the M&M games, but personally I found the very simplistic combat a huge decline after MM2, and not nearly as fun as fighting armies of enemies in MM6-7.

Ultima 6-7.
Similar to above, combat was a huge decline after Ultima V, and I also found the UI extremely clunky.

Ivan

Arcane
No jokes:

Baldur's Gate 1
Witcher 2: i think it's only consoletards who hail this as a masterful RPG
Mass Effect series: didn't bother w/ 3. average at best.
Anachronox
Chrono Trigger
Valkyria Chronicles

Max Stats

Liturgist
New Vegas is FO3 with the furniture rearranged. It's not a bad game but damn I'm sick of people sucking Obsidian's cock over it.

Of course no RPG is more overrated than FF7. There are people that literally think it started the genre when there's pretty much nothing original about it beyond copious overuse of FMV cutscenes. Even the party member killled in a cutscene and therefore isn't revivable thing had been done close to a decade before in Phantasy Star 2. It's still not bad (though I bet the remake will be) but I have a hard time thinking of another game (let alone RPG) that's been more overrated over the years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom