Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline List of overrated RPGs

Jason Liang

Arcane
Half of the games we like are better with fan patches, so that's no knock on Bloodlines- Arcanum, ToEE (ha. the Troika trinity), Baldur's Gate, Wizardry 8, Star Control 2, JA2. Sengoku Rance needs an English translation patch. NWN is mediocre without the module community. The first 2 Fallouts would be much better if they had good fan patches.

Troika's company motto should have been "We make games. You make them playable."

As to the original premise, I think it's pretty clear that I think Fallouts 1, 2, NV and Arcanum are all way overrated. Sandbox RPGs in general are overrated- shit story, shit combat. GTA 3-V does sandbox way better.

Troika was on the path of finding a way of making sandbox games work, but they folded. I don't think Black Isle were ever even close to making interesting sandbox RPGs.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I've always thought FO:NV was a bit overpraised. Its better than FO3 and FO4 of course but its not all that much fun after a while. Along those same line I never found Morrowind particular enjoyable either but Oblivion is such shit that it looks better by comparison.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ok here is a list of RPGs which are vastly overrated

1) Planescape Torment - banal, boring, shit combat, too much reading, most people will get bored after first 2 hours
2) VTM Bloodlines - hurr durr vampire larp
3) Gothic 1 and 2 - euro shit trash action rpg by germans
4) Dark soul series - arpgs are shit ok? Action rpgs should not be even called rpgs
5) Witcher series and especialy Witcher 3 - don't even get me started on combat
6) Morrowind - dumbed down Daggerfall, from a tactical dungeon crawler to a story fag intense movie, yea i can see why some people would love it.
7) Deus ex - another game that mistaken it's genre, a stealth game as an FPS JUST DOES NOT WORK

Vastly underrated

New Vegas, probably the most finest RPG since old Fallouts held back by a shitty engine but Obsidian tried to salvage what was possible

1. Nah. PST is fine.
2. Bloodlines can make lots of players around here REFUSE to believe they were putty in Velvet Velour's hand. Isnt that a masterpiece of game design and writing or what?
3. Agree about Gothic in the sense that I never interest in playing that game. I once installed it, get a nude mod ready... then walk away. And this was after all the Codex hype.
4. Dark Soul I have nutin.
5. Witcher 1 is awesome. Fuck you and the dwarf you ride on, too.
6. Morrowind. Nah. It's where it's at: 7th place in top 73. Good but not that good.
7. Deus Ex. Nah. it's fine. I would totally fap for a HD remake-only graphic update.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm currently slogging through the Gold Box D&D games. Almost every single encounter consists of trash mobs, the writing would warrant a C- in third grade and the art direction is jejune even by turn-of-the-90's standards. I would immediately give up on these venerable turds if my completist impulse weren't so strong. Tyranny, which gets a lot of knee-jerk flak here due to the Dex's cult-like ethos, is a frankly superior game in every way, pace your deliquescent memory. Even its combat is more varied and compelling than that of its cash cow ancestors.

I'm in the same process. Playing for the first time old stuff. Unlike you, I'm only choosing the best of the best. Until now, I'm not disappointed. But I'm sure that some, maybe most, of the classics here are pure garbage.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Arcanum: The game has some great stuff (big cities, great art, nice crafting, cool setting, some flavour reactitivity), but it also has a broken combat with trash mobs that leaves you with a bad taste in the mouth.

PS:T: It's praised by the connection between exploration and story, but some of the writing and characters in this game are cringe whorthy. The same people that criticized the wiki dumps in PoE praise the diarrhea drivel in PS:T, the same people who criticize retarded NPCs in BGs and Bioware games are the first ones to defend the animu NPCs of PS:T. This is pure hypocrisy. The nostalgia phenomenon is real.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently slogging through the Gold Box D&D games. Almost every single encounter consists of trash mobs, the writing would warrant a C- in third grade and the art direction is jejune even by turn-of-the-90's standards.

The only GB game with mostly trash mobs is Gateway to the Savage Frontier. Otherwise the encounter design of the GB games is some of the best in CRPGs.
The writing; who cares? The GB games are not about story, and anyway the writing is good enough for its purpose.
Art direction: I miss the classic 2D cartoony style. And you don't need 2 years and 10 million bucks to make it either.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
FONV would've been lot better if it'd been made with proper engine and not with bethderp's piece of shit, especially if it'd been isometric. The character models makes it impossible me to take anything in the game even half-seriously...this encapsulates my reaction to FO3/FONV models perfectly:

:prosper:

The writing itself is one of the better ones in the last 10 or so years in the gaming world...only if it'd been supported by proper engine and graphical/visual design.

Might&Magic 3-5. By many considered the best of the M&M games, but personally I found the very simplistic combat a huge decline after MM2, and not nearly as fun as fighting armies of enemies in MM6-7.

Ultima 6-7.
Similar to above, combat was a huge decline after Ultima V, and I also found the UI extremely clunky.

MASSIVE agree with you on these, plus the fact that PST and the entire Witcher series are both such overrated icebergs of shit, its not even funny.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Neverfaggot Nights

It was all hyped up to be Bioware's most heterosexual game yet

But it all was a dirty lie, the game was full homo gay to the extreme

NOT HARD ENOUGH

laughing-hysterically_thumb.gif

purpleblob

Savant
Most of Bioware games are definitely overrated.

KotOR1 - Never understood popularity of KotOR1. Boooooorriiinnnng. Whoever liked this game is just simply a SW fan, nothing more. There's nothing good about this game (even HK 47 wasn't that funny in first one)
Dragon Age: Origins - Yes, it was fun back when it was first released. Try replaying it. Boring as hell. I just can't get past Brecilian Forest or Orzamma. Actually, try to get past Lothering. I was surprised this made it into Codex top 50.
Mass Effect series - I will admit, I liked ME series. But... boring combat, no replayability, over dramatisation of ME3 etc. Like DA:O, fun for the first time around, can't even finish it second time around and none of them were terribly large game by any standard. Still think it's better than KotOR1.

Frozen

Arcane
Ok here is a list of RPGs which are vastly overrated

1) Planescape Torment - banal, boring, shit combat, too much reading, most people will get bored after first 2 hours
2) VTM Bloodlines - hurr durr vampire larp
3) Gothic 1 and 2 - euro shit trash action rpg by germans
4) Dark soul series - arpgs are shit ok? Action rpgs should not be even called rpgs
5) Witcher series and especialy Witcher 3 - don't even get me started on combat
6) Morrowind - dumbed down Daggerfall, from a tactical dungeon crawler to a story fag intense movie, yea i can see why some people would love it.
7) Deus ex - another game that mistaken it's genre, a stealth game as an FPS JUST DOES NOT WORK

Vastly underrated

New Vegas, probably the most finest RPG since old Fallouts held back by a shitty engine but Obsidian tried to salvage what was possible

3) 4) and 6) are shit but not for reasons stated

Gothic has worst controls ever
Dark Souls is just boring arcade game for Japanese emo teens with random shit put into it pretending to be some story
and for Morrowind read my signature

Vastly underrated- NO you cant salvage gamebryo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom