Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Didn't even see his avatar/name before I picked mine. My desktop has been an NCR Elite Ranger for the past half year so when I picked avatars when I created the account I thought it'd be fitting. The forum only allows a pre-defined selection of avatars so I couldn't upload my own.

Seems like I am not welcome simply because I made the account at the wrong time and picked the wrong avatar.

I've used the name Nordbird in games since 2003-2004.

If necessary, tell an administrator to check my IP/cookies to make sure I am not an alt.

I found this forum about 2 weeks ago because it shared my interests, there are new people in forums all the time don't be paranoid and think that everyone that registers at certain times is automatically an alt.

I'll change avatar to avoid further confusion especially when browsing the forums and seeing his picture in some threads and thinking it's me.

y so seriouz?

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
Hello! I'm man/woman/tranny who is old gamer/never played computer games. And I played Oblivion/Diablo/Tetris/Minesweeper. What I should play next?

My personal list, included only games what I played myself, may forgot several titles and don't mention hybrids except Bloodnet. You almost can't be wrong with the first part of this list.

Goldboxes (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Gateway to the Savage Frontier,Treasures of the Savage Frontier,Buck Rogers: Countdown for Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed)

Wizardry 6, Wizardry 7, Wizardry 8
Knights of the Chalice
Disciples of Steel
Prelude to Darkness
Realms of Arkania, Realms of Arkania 2, Realms of Arkania 3
Arena, Daggerfall
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Darksun, Darksun 2
Might and Magic 1-8
The Summoning
Aethra Chronicles
Geneforge 1-5
Exile 1-3
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Lands of Lore
Anvil of Dawn
Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2
Fallout, Fallout 2
Bloodnet
Wasteland
Legacy: Realm of Terror
Magic Candle II: The Four and Fourty
Betrayal at Krondor
Nahlakh
Darklands
Aleshar
Ultima 4, Ultima 6, Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld, Ultima Underworld 2

Roguelikes:
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Troubles of Middle Earth 2.3.5
sCthAngband

BUT I PLAYED ALL OF THIS!!! GIVE ME MORE GAMES!

OK. But some of them are shitty.

Avernum 4, Avernum 5
Thunderscape
Wizardry 1, Wizardry 4
Yendorian Tales 2, Yendorian Tales 3
Dungeon Master, Dungeon Master 2
Obitus
Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Wizard!
DarkSpyre
Shadow of Yserbius, The Fates of Twinion
The Faery Tale Adventure
Shadowrun (SEGA version), Shadowrun (SNES)
Neuromancer
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor
Eschalon Book I,Eschalon Book II
Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown
Nethergate
Megatraveller 2
Soulbringer
Stonekeep
Twilight 2000

***** Other Resources ******

MMXI's New and improved list of decent to must play cRPGs

Bruticis' cRPG Master List

No offence, but many of the titles in this list appear to be there simply because...they were released in the 'good ol' days' I recall them being horrendous even back in the day.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Unlike fantasy characters, older isn't always awesomer.

That said, I remember kid-me drooling over the Betrayal at K box as a kid, but not having the money for it. This thread pushed me to finally try it. Kid-me should have manned up and gotten a newspaper route

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hello! I'm man/woman/tranny who is old gamer/never played computer games. And I played Oblivion/Diablo/Tetris/Minesweeper. What I should play next?

Trannies here, trannies there, trannies everywhere... "I am a tranny and proud of it", "Hey come on, be a tranny like me", "Aw, give me a little kiss", "xoxo", "It's cool to be a tranny", "Only an old tranny is a good tranny"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAJHHHH!!! ENOUGH OF THE T(Y)RANNY!!!
:flamesaw:

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
meh. He didn't even try that hard. Just a shitty one liner.

:hmmm:

You ought to be the last person to complain about shitty one liners.

But anyhow, here are the games that IMO should not be on that list, out of the ones i have played. There are a few on there I haven't tried.

Megatraveller 2
Soulbringer
Stonekeep
Yendorian Tales 2, Yendorian Tales 3
Bloodnet
Might & Magic 8

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
Look obviously games that are shitty to some people are fun to others, maybe even must play to others. That's ok. I just posted to highlight the fact that perhaps some of these more controversial games should not be on such a list that would give newbies looking for guidance the wrong impression of the genre. So maybe reorganize the list somewhat? Fowyr

For example, Stonekeep. Some may like it, but in my humble opinion it is not a good game, like all the FMV games. Not only does it not look good presentation wise, it is not that good gameplay wise either. Dark Messiah of MnM is far superior.
So perhaps replace it with that, or push Stonekeep far down the list in a 'Controversial, but good for what it is' list.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can you even read? The list is already organized exactly as you say; e.g. Stonekeep is listed under "some of these games may be shitty".

Supermedo

Augur
I finished fallout 1 & 2 recently so I'm looking for a game where you can bypass fights using your speech skill cuz that my fetish.

Supermedo

Augur
See I was born 1990 and I was mainly Jrpg faggot but when I played Gothic I loved the living fuck of it.
So I started to look for crpg and I played the following :
-Gothic
-Gothic 2
-Gothic 3 ( I like to think it never happened )
-Fallout
-Fallout 2
-Fallout 3
-Fallout 3 : new Vegas
-Dragon Age : origins
-The Elder scrolls oblivion
-Skyrim (Shit was horrible I can imagine old TES fans killing themselves).

I want to play the good old classic rpg but I want to start with one that ease me up to 90's cRPG, specially many of them use
D&D rules which I know jack shit about, a game that intuitive gameplay or explain the rules while playing without resorting to pdf file with 200 pages explaining the rules.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
D&D rules aren't that hard to figure out if you played and understood Fallout and Dragon Age.

Easy one to suggest is the original Baldur's Gate, or Baldur's Gate II which is the precursor to Dragon Age. You will be more familiar with the interface after your time with Fallout so learning the rules won't be too bad.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-The Elder scrolls oblivion
-Skyrim (Shit was horrible I can imagine old TES fans killing themselves).
This does not compute.

In any case, try playing this:
Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif

Supermedo

Augur
Enhanced or GOG version ?
And Daggerfall ? I heard it is like a rogue-like but the dungeons are pre-generated with worst combat and empty world and copy pasted areas.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enhanced or GOG version ?
If you have to ask you should not be playing either. But GOG.

And Daggerfall ? I heard it is like a rogue-like but the dungeons are pre-generated with worst combat and empty world and copy pasted areas.
Yeah, stick with Oblivion then, mate.

Lands of Lore 1
Eye of the Beholder II
U7: Serpent Isle
Dungeon Master

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom