Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Supermedo

Augur
Well I followed everybody suggestions and I got BG I & II after installing BGT and unfinished business
man what screwed up first 5 minutes, see I rolled as sorcerer I always play as mage or sorcerer, start the game in front of the inn of course I didn't know I was on front of the inn and I walked with my trusty quarter staff and entered first house and there a motherfucking assassin, first thing I did was to look for my spells, Why the FUCK I can't drag my spells in taskbar or even use it

MFW my char missed 90% time with his quarter staff
giphy.gif

shit I'm going to die in first minute but luckily the door wasn't locked and assassin didn't follow me,
went to another house looking for the barracks to fetch the guard sword only to find another mother fucking assassin.

I had to alt-tab to search how to cast spells only to find that I must rest first.

now here a couple of questions :
A mage in south section of the town supposedly to teach me how to control my party
one thing I noticed : the warrior or the ranger when he kills the monster it doesn't automatically target the next one, it's just stand there
does that mean there no team AI ?
When I summon my familiar he doesn't have his own portrait and doesn't follow my character is there a command to make him follow my character without using group selection ?

Supermedo

Augur
not really I played ton of turn based rpg strategy games, So this is first time that I found companion in real time games do nothing unless instructed too
but I found script menu and group button got used to it, the important thing that figther/warrior attack nearest enemy while I micromanage my mage/Druid.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
one thing I noticed : the warrior or the ranger when he kills the monster it doesn't automatically target the next one, it's just stand there

Man, you really should read the manual if you are having so many issues. But then.. come on, BG is not that hard to figure out. I never read the manual, I think most of the stuff is really self-explanatory. Just fiddle around a bit with the controls and you should get used to it pretty fast.

There are several different kinds of AI sets but they are turned-off by default. You can choose one under character customization that fits your needs. You should also check out the different auto-pause features which can come in handy with the harder fights.

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
Well I followed everybody suggestions and I got BG I & II after installing BGT and unfinished business
man what screwed up first 5 minutes, see I rolled as sorcerer I always play as mage or sorcerer, start the game in front of the inn of course I didn't know I was on front of the inn and I walked with my trusty quarter staff and entered first house and there a motherfucking assassin, first thing I did was to look for my spells, Why the FUCK I can't drag my spells in taskbar or even use it

giphy.gif

shit I'm going to die in first minute but luckily the door wasn't locked and assassin didn't follow me,
went to another house looking for the barracks to fetch the guard sword only to find another mother fucking assassin.

I had to alt-tab to search how to cast spells only to find that I must rest first.

A mage in south section of the town supposedly to teach me how to control my party
When I summon my familiar he doesn't have his own portrait and doesn't follow my character is there a command to make him follow my character without using group selection ?

What kind of a stupid motherfucker are you?

RPGs back then didn't use 'taskbars' except Diablo (which is not an rpg) and Ultima 9 (which is also not an rpg). Actually BG1 was released before U9 if I recall.

However the game does use a kind of like a taskbar, you can figure it out in a couple of seconds of clicking.

Yes you have to rest to use your spells. If you don't play D&D or any game made using it before I guess you wouldn't know it. And true, back in the day there were manuals you had to read, dipshits of today wouldn't know about that.

And mages are always shit at hitting things. What game did you play where that was otherwise?

laclongquan

Arcane
UFO Aftershock

Shit is pretty fun to play. It's like a primitive version of Silent Storm series, with semi-destructible environment, crouch/prone/stand, tactic combat. The real time combat aspect is a bit jarring until you learn to let it run at slowest speed and frequent use of space bar (pause). You can send maximum of 7 shooters into battle, with plentiful of weapons and semi-scarce ammo. Well, scarce until yoru factory can produce them, anyway. scout, rifleman lining up, sniper cover, rocket launcher etc... There;s a bit of a moral system, that your troops and theirs can get into panic or run away. Hire progressively better troops along with your relations with other factions. Trade resource with other factions (well, trade relation for resource, then donate resource to get back relation, ultimate ratio of 1 for 2)...

SHit is not RPG, so dont expect much story and cohesion. I dont find story is that jarring or anything, but the storyfags have been moaning about the utter irrevelance of human civilization on the scale of galactic affairs. Well, fuck them~

Get the latest patch, as the early bugs drove reviewers to bad graces.

The bad point of this game, in my book, is the lack of stealth play. You know in Fallout Tactics and Silent Storm series you can do stealth, right? Well, in this game it's really hard to play like that. You can invest a bit to get your innate stealth up to help with movement, but equip gears to enhance it is just purely a waste of time, as we can just burst their asses soonest. It really doesnt help that the combat maps are several time largers than SS map, and about double the size of FT's.

Oh, and set the difficulty at highest. If you set it lower, you will get riches at middle game and waste the economic portion of the game. Set it at highest force you invest slightly a bit more in certain aspects.

Last edited:

Supermedo

Augur

giphy.gif

What kind of a stupid motherfucker are you?

RPGs back then didn't use 'taskbars' except Diablo (which is not an rpg) and Ultima 9 (which is also not an rpg). Actually BG1 was released before U9 if I recall.

However the game does use a kind of like a taskbar, you can figure it out in a couple of seconds of clicking.

Yes you have to rest to use your spells. If you don't play D&D or any game made using it before I guess you wouldn't know it. And true, back in the day there were manuals you had to read, dipshits of today wouldn't know about that.

And mages are always shit at hitting things. What game did you play where that was otherwise?
Even the tutorial of Baldur's Gate is too complex for consoletards...
Wow, I was trying to joke about it so why U mad bro ???
your post reeks of stupid elitism, of course there taskbar which was totally greyed out because I didn't rest which I figure out in the first minute.
And I know mages always bad at melee combat, the whole idea of my post is how he didn't start the game and character is rested and I have to make him rest.

PS : I'm mainly game in my pc most RTS/Grand strategy game and 4X games, the only console games I played was SNES RPG games.
so take it easy bro.

Supermedo

Augur
^
Read your post regarding Skyrim vs oblivion
you pretty spot on, I guess because it was the second game I play after gothic trilogy and me love to roll as mage skyrim was disappointment for me.

DraQ

Arcane
^
Read your post regarding Skyrim vs oblivion
you pretty spot on, I guess because it was the second game I play after gothic trilogy and me love to roll as mage skyrim was disappointment for me.
Play Morrowind then.
Just don't come back whining when it turns out you're not competent enough to play as 'pure' caster and end up relying on melee or have to abuse exploits and loopholes to survive.

SonicSidewinder

Barely Literate
You should deffo skim the BG manual.

If not, check out some power-builds online for your class of choice.

You'd gain mechanics insight either way.

Servo

Arcane
If there's one thing I've learned: RTFM.

And if Ultima, better print it out as well. These assholes that had retail versions were really spoiled.

Also wtf is Bioshock not on list?

Lujo

Augur
Hey, what's the Codex stance on Dungeons of Dreadmor? It's a very clowny roguelike, but very, very charming. It quite a few qualities of the best story/character driven RPG's without even having a story. And rather well done retro graphics.

Kuhrazy

Educated
I've been playing some roguelikes lately and wanted to change pace and try my hand at a regular dungeon crawler. The only two I've ever put any time into are a couple of Nintendo DS games: Dark Spire (ok if a little bland) and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (awful dialog/plot and seemingly random monster fusion system but cool otherwise). Note that I'm too lazy to draw maps and too stupid to work an obtuse interface. I know that Wizardry and M&M exist but not very much more than that. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and/or disdainful, condescending remarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hormalakh

Magister
Thanks in advance for your recommendations and/or disdainful, condescending remarks.

Seriously though, M&M Worlds of Xeen would be good. Haven't played Legends of Grimrock, but apparently that's good too. I consider IceWind Dale to be a dungeon crawl, but I doubt most others do. The newest Might and Magic: X Legacy is also Codex-approved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom