Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Kuhrazy

Educated
Thanks in advance for your recommendations and/or disdainful, condescending remarks.

Seriously though, M&M Worlds of Xeen would be good. Haven't played Legends of Grimrock, but apparently that's good too. I consider IceWind Dale to be a dungeon crawl, but I doubt most others do. The newest Might and Magic: X Legacy is also Codex-approved.
Thanks, I take it buying from gog.com is probably the way to go here? I looked at M&M X but dunno if I can even run it. Apparently nowadays crawlers are all anime games on 3DS.

Hormalakh

Magister
If you want to buy from gog, click the gog icon from the codex. Top of the page. That way this place gets a fraction of that money too.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been playing some roguelikes lately and wanted to change pace and try my hand at a regular dungeon crawler. The only two I've ever put any time into are a couple of Nintendo DS games: Dark Spire (ok if a little bland) and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (awful dialog/plot and seemingly random monster fusion system but cool otherwise). Note that I'm too lazy to draw maps and too stupid to work an obtuse interface. I know that Wizardry and M&M exist but not very much more than that. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and/or disdainful, condescending remarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try Lands of Lore 1. It's real time and very light on the RPG mechanics but I think it's a good introduction to the genre.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing some roguelikes lately and wanted to change pace and try my hand at a regular dungeon crawler. The only two I've ever put any time into are a couple of Nintendo DS games: Dark Spire (ok if a little bland) and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (awful dialog/plot and seemingly random monster fusion system but cool otherwise). Note that I'm too lazy to draw maps and too stupid to work an obtuse interface. I know that Wizardry and M&M exist but not very much more than that. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and/or disdainful, condescending remarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should try Realms of Arkania HD.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
In no particular order, I've up and bought steam-keys (yes, even with a job I only care about how cheap I can get stuff) and in a fit of binge-eating != depression-induced crpg buying spree online I bought:

- Shadowrun Returns
- Might & Magic 10: Legacy
- Blackguards
- South Park: Stick of Truth

(not RPGs but I also bought King of Fighters 13... and I hate it. I'll be sticking with Street Fighter thank you very much).

Am I missing anything that's better?

I know Underrail is out and buy-able, but I haven't hit the button yet because I played through the entire beta/alpha stages of the game and I don't feel particularly inclined to jump back into Underrail just yet but perhaps in the future I will do so.

Out of those four games I've: not even booted up SRR yet; got insanely bored by the insipid starting town in MM10 (just made me want to re-start Wizardry 8); started to char-gen inside Blackguards before getting flashbacks of better games I could replay... like ToEE or even NWN2: MotB that also stroke my char-gen boner; and of course the only one I've been playing so far is South Park: Stick of Truth. It's alright. It's funny, and it makes me not want to cry when I'm playing it. Sometimes I even chuckle. Is this what growing old feels like?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i looked it up and it seems very tempting. i can't really stomach another Wizardry 8 playthrough, and Paper Sorcerer sounds about right.

Iselor

Educated
Diablo is the best hack and slash. That's why. And for me to have a better, um, "replayability" of these titles. Plus great music and "climate".

guguma

Novice
Dear All,

I believe that only you guys at the RPG codex can understand me, what I need, I will keep this short I am asking for a game suggestion. I am patiently waiting for Project Eternity, Numunera, and Wasteland 2 but till then I am looking for something to spend time with.

And here is some info to narrow things down and what I am craving for

1. My ultimate favorite games played over and over again until the joy I get from them extinguished are

Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 1-2, Fallout 1-2

2. Other RPG's I loved

Neverwinter 1-2 and expansions, Icewind Dale 1-2 (ok more like action rpg), KOTOR 1-2, Arcanum, probably some more I cannot remember right now

Honestly I am craving for something with substance to it, and interesting, I am pretty certain I exhausted the classic rpgs, had my share of the diablo series, even tried world of warcraft (really item hunting is not my thing). Strategy games warcraft, starcraft is done. Civ series, Total war etc are ok but once you play one you play them all, I might try hearts of iron but my only concern is that it will lack certain amount of action and graphical feedback that I somewhat need atm.

I gave enough chances to Bethesda games Daggerfall (was interesting at the time), Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3
I only enjoyed Skyrim, a little bit, and endured the horrible lore and story telling, I seriously do not understand why Bethesda is so overrated I wish they go bankrupt with their MMO attempt.

FPS's, not in the mode for COD type stuff, something like STALKER would be ok maybe.

Sorry for all this rant, and being so picky, but that is why I am posting this question at RPG Codex, you guys would understand my frustration that there are a million games out there, so generic and dull it drives me crazy, if there are some hidden good titles out there I would be glad to try them.

Thanks in advance

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dear All,

I believe that only you guys at the RPG codex can understand me, what I need, I will keep this short I am asking for a game suggestion. I am patiently waiting for Project Eternity, Numunera, and Wasteland 2 but till then I am looking for something to spend time with.

And here is some info to narrow things down and what I am craving for

1. My ultimate favorite games played over and over again until the joy I get from them extinguished are

Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 1-2, Fallout 1-2

2. Other RPG's I loved

Neverwinter 1-2 and expansions, Icewind Dale 1-2 (ok more like action rpg), KOTOR 1-2, Arcanum, probably some more I cannot remember right now

Honestly I am craving for something with substance to it, and interesting, I am pretty certain I exhausted the classic rpgs, had my share of the diablo series, even tried world of warcraft (really item hunting is not my thing). Strategy games warcraft, starcraft is done. Civ series, Total war etc are ok but once you play one you play them all, I might try hearts of iron but my only concern is that it will lack certain amount of action and graphical feedback that I somewhat need atm.

I gave enough chances to Bethesda games Daggerfall (was interesting at the time), Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3
I only enjoyed Skyrim, a little bit, and endured the horrible lore and story telling, I seriously do not understand why Bethesda is so overrated I wish they go bankrupt with their MMO attempt.

FPS's, not in the mode for COD type stuff, something like STALKER would be ok maybe.

Sorry for all this rant, and being so picky, but that is why I am posting this question at RPG Codex, you guys would understand my frustration that there are a million games out there, so generic and dull it drives me crazy, if there are some hidden good titles out there I would be glad to try them.

Thanks in advance
Play Realms of Arkania HD.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
guguma
The first Geneforge game is one of the games closest to BG I've played with the exception of the other infinity engine games and it is a great entry point to the series so try that. If you haven't tried it already I can also recommend Temple of Elemental Evil, it's one of my favourite games, shame that Troika didn't do more content with that engine. Depending on you tolerance for oldschoolness Darklands, the original Wasteland and many of the Goldbox games might be able to satisfy your itch. Knights of the chalice is another excellent indie offering with more focus on combat than on story, well worth the pricetag if you don't feel bad about giving your hard earned cash to a crazed libertarian asshole. It might not be exactly in line with your taste but I'd also recommend Divine Divinity if you're starved for good RPGs, it's in beautiful 2d and is very enjoyable if you give it a chance.
It's also made by the divine Swen.
gIUJbLi.jpg
guguma If you enjoyed Kotor1, you could also enjoy Jade Empire I guess. Same Bioware formula, different setting.
I wouldn't recommend Jade Empire to my worst enemy. :argh:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
guguma If you enjoyed Kotor1, you could also enjoy Jade Empire I guess. Same Bioware formula, different setting.

Well, he did say he enjoyed Kotor. Jade Empire is considerably better imo - in relative terms, of course.

If they had only made the combat faster and more challenging instead of the slow snore-fest that it is, it would've been an alright game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Other than looking through the top 70 list and seeing if anything strikes your fancy. You might want to look at the Early Access games Age of Decadence and Underrail.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not really a must play, but if you're looking for something less known and like first person SF games with shit combat, you might consider Consortium.
It's way too short and pretty buggy, but it has decent dialogue and a sometimes interesting storyline.

Let's move on to my MUST play list:
- Gothic
- Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic I & II
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Deus Ex & Deus Ex: Invisible War
- The Witcher II
- Alpha Protocol
- Mass Effect 2
- Planescape: Torment
- Vampire: Bloodlines
- The walking dead
- The Wolf among us
- Neverwinter Nights 2

OMG there's AAA in there! :yeah:

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted

Well, he did say he enjoyed Kotor. Jade Empire is considerably better imo - in relative terms, of course.

If they had only made the combat faster and more challenging instead of the slow snore-fest that it is, it would've been an alright game.
The combat is just a notch or two below Kotor's, I have suffered trough much worse in my time. No, that's not why I hate this game. I don't even know where to begin explaining this. Let me put it this way: What if Bioware had made the Witcher games, displayed a total lack of respect and understanding for slavic folklore and culture, made Geralt into a racial caricature, inserted the twi'lek gibberish from kotor for when the characters are to speak potato speak and proudly released it as a celebration of Polandball culture? That's Jade Empire in a nutshell for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom