Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Little things in games that more should do

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In open world RPGs, unique terrain design that will allow player to instantly know where he is in the world without need to use the map or quest compass.

Hidden locations that award exploration not with unique enemies or loot but with bits of lore and self contained stories that shape the bigger picture of the setting.

Magic that is used for more then just combat.

Soulcucker

Savant
Cannon Fodder's growing graveyard

Jag_Cannon_Fodder_S2.PNG

cannonfodder.png

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
In RPGs I like when characters refer to you with your name. You aren't dickwad champion, chosen, dragonborn or some other nonsense but Joe or Titsdestroyer or whatever you named your protagonist and the people you speak to feel more alive, acknowleding your existence. A simple trick but a great detail in my opinion.
This.
Unfortunately it was one of the things gaming lost to "voiceover everything".
I always wanted to expand on this, where characters would ask you for your name. Others would pick it up, because people start chatting about the new stranger in the village. Or you could give a false name if you are being sought. Or arise suspicion if you give different names to different NPCs (again, the villagers will notice).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom