Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Location - Mountain Pass

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
skyway said:
Found it! Spoilers on the second post. If you don't want to know what happens at the pass then obviously don't click the link!

Don't care about the graphics, but - will locations be small like on this picture?
It's a small passage to the other side of the mountains. Some locations are huge (and we'll split them if we have time), some locations are small. Whatever makes sense.

The_Pope said:
Iron tower made the game 37% more extreme and cut down on art costs at the same time by making every character a ninja.

You can't see ninjas.
Very true. We went back and forth with the impact of ninjas on the game, and ultimately decided we do want to penalize the player and that's why you can't see ninjas. You can hear them though. Scary stuff.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
pkt-zer0 said:
The wood texture on the watchtower (second image) looks sort of weird, though. It seems as if it was built from planks and not logs. A picture from MnB illustrating what I had in mind for a "proper" look.

I´ve followed this concept art:

But I agree that logs look good too. :)

Wild Slop

Arcane
since the ends of the board are all on same side
and not alternating
the way the corners match up looks off
seen in the left tower
in the 3rd picture down

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Only criticism: the texture on the old stone wall in the 3rd picture seems out of place with the rest.

obediah

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
Only criticism: the texture on the old stone wall in the 3rd picture seems out of place with the rest.

Dumb ass! That means it's a secret door. And you just spoiled it for everyone on the internets.

golgotha

Liturgist
Looks good. The thing that really sticks out would be the walls overly contrasted texture. Maybe downscale it a bit as well. Other than that the only other thing out is the various different woods. It just seems strange that there'd be that much variation in the woods used for a remote pass in the mountains, and they don't seem to be later additions to the buildings either. Thats just nitpicking though.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
obediah said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Dumb ass! That means it's a secret door. And you just spoiled it for everyone on the internets.
Right. That might be a portal or even obliviongate to another dimension with evil demons.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
or even oblivion(tm)gate to another dimension with evil demons.
who making it look like they are really invading the world but only waiting for PC to come and close this gate.

Sounds like you need to upgrade the RAM on your illogic card if you want to enjoy Zenimax games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sounds like you need to upgrade the RAM on your illogic card if you want to enjoy Zenimax games.

Will IronTower sign their game to ZeniMax? With oblivion(tm) gates in it it could lead for a huge profit.
and also a license which widens the bloom amount one can legitimately have in his game.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
skyway said:
Will IronTower sign their game to ZeniMax?
They have already made a deal. Elhoim mentioned soil erosion system they got as a sign of good will.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:

Will IronTower sign their game to ZeniMax? With oblivion(tm) gates in it it could lead for a huge profit.
and also a license which widens the bloom amount one can legitimately have in his game.

Awesome, I wish I had thought to patent "Using excessive bloom to make a video game look like shit".

MetalCraze

Arcane
They have already made a deal. Elhoim mentioned soil erosion system they got as a sign of good will.

What about Retar... Radiant AI system? Many gamers in the world believe it's the most unique and perfect life simulation thing! Will IronTower license this great feature for their game?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
skyway said:
What about Retar... Radiant AI system? Many gamers in the world believe it's the most unique and perfect life simulation thing! Will IronTower license this great feature for their game?

We decided to use Tetris AI instead, it appeared to be more effective.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Elhoim said:
I´ve followed this concept art:

But I agree that logs look good too. :)
The 3D rendition of the concept art is pretty good, no problems there. It's the thing that it's built of planks is what I find weird. Wouldn't that be less sturdy than a tower needs to be? (note: I do not actually have any knowledge in this specific area, just trying to apply common sense)

Google also brings up constructs like this when searching for "roman watchtower".

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
pkt-zer0 said:
It's the thing that it's built of planks is what I find weird. Wouldn't that be less sturdy than a tower needs to be?

No. The walls wouldn't be the the main structural support. It would be the struts and tower legs in this case.

Here is a picture where all you would need to do is add planks to the side of to get a similar tower like in AoD: http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Ohrdruf/GuardTower.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man, Sovy, that just reminded me again of people that say "The Holocaust is a lie".

Yeah... they put the dead bodies in those camps because of a Zionist plot to create the state Israel...

*sigh*

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Sovy Kurosei said:
No. The walls wouldn't be the the main structural support. It would be the struts and tower legs in this case.

Here is a picture where all you would need to do is add planks to the side of to get a similar tower like in AoD: http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Ohrdruf/GuardTower.jpg
I did say I knew next to nothing about how those pesky Romans built their towers or even statics, didn't I? :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom