Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
My Shepard-sense says that they are going for a three-peat for the Golden Poo instead

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
EA Possibly Working on an Open World Star Wars Game

http://kotaku.com/thats-no-moon-thats-a-possible-open-world-star-wars-1472612003

A team at EA Canada is working on an open-world Star Wars title, according to several recent job postings for the studio.P

An animation director job posting from last month reveals that EA Canada has a Star Wars team developing "a major new next gen open world action game." That does not appear to be a typo: while tweeting a link to a combat designer posting for a mysterious open-world title in September, the studio's then-recruiter said the unnamed game was indeed a Star Wars project.P

EA Canada is the third studio known to be working on a Star Wars game under Electronic Arts' current decade-long licensing deal with Disney. The other two studios, DICE and EA Redwood Shores (aka Visceral Games), are developing on a new Battlefront, and unknown title in the early stages of production, respectively.

The EA Canada Star Wars game may be the same as the one in production at Visceral Games. The copy on the animation director posting says EA Canada wants someone who has experience with "multi-site development." And another EA Canada Star Wars opening—for an executive producer—is a near-exact copy of another Star Wars executive producer posting at Redwood Shores, save for a few words about the studio's location. AAA open-world games are also massive endeavors, and EA Canada has downsized its non-sports development staff in recent years. EA Canada would have to staff up significantly if it were leading development on the project, and the three aforementioned openings are the only ones for this Star Wars title.

Although the Star Wars franchise has basically encompassed every genre imaginable, an open-world Star Wars game has yet to make it to store shelves, though there have been several other attempts at one. Most notably, the ill-fated Star Wars 1313 was initially a gritty open-world role-playing game connected to the HBO-esque Star Wars television series Underworld. Additionally, Just Cause creators Avalanche Studios nearly struck a deal with LucasArts for an open-world Star Wars game.

While DICE's forthcoming Battlefront revival falls firmly within what we have seen before, an open-world Star Wars game suggests EA is interested in branching beyond past territory.​

Dr Tomo

Learned
Awesome Ea is going to join in on the new video game fad that all games must have an open world. I wonder how many more studios/publishers are going to jump on this band wagon? Capcom? Or maybe Square?

deuxhero

Arcane
Awesome Ea is going to join in on the new video game fad that all games must have an open world. I wonder how many more studios/publishers are going to jump on this band wagon? Capcom? Or maybe Square?

Both already have. Surprisingly, Capcom's (Dragon's Dogma) is good. Unsurprisingly, SE's (Toriyama Fantasy 13-3) isn't.

kris

Arcane
some years ago it was definitely not. the engine was arcade but sort of reliable*, and on the "manager" side it was light years ahead of football manager, with so much at your disposal and so many possible automations you could play it any way you wanted, from the omniscent being to the single player on the field.
i haven't been that entertained since player manager.

*: football manager 14: a game can end with 40 shoots on goal, posts hit and yet the team lost 1-0 to a much worse one.
i'm not pulling numbers out of my ass.

FIFA manager lightyears ahead? :D:D:D that is some of the dumbest shit I read in ages.

Of course that can happen in the game, but it is very uncommon (I haven't played the 2014 one) and similar things happen IRL.

it's not opinion, it's facts and numbers: in football manager you have control only over staff, players, tactics (less and less during years), training (less and less during years) and market.
in fifa you have also control over youth teams, youth schools, merchandise, tickets, stadium, objectives and expectations of players, events of any kind...
facts and numbers.

and no, no game has ever ended with 40 shots on goals and 40 posts hit.

:Flash:

Arcane
It has to do with the history of FIFA manager. FIFA manager has its roots in German economy sims. German football managers games were historically always more economy oriented than their English counterparts. They were devloped games like Hanse, Patrician or Pizza Tycoon.
Then EA decided it wanted into the market, bought the license (which had until then belonged to Software 2000) and offered the lead developer of On the Ball (Ascaron) a Truckload of money, and put a lot of money into the game. As soon as they had driven into bankruptcy all competitors they lost all interest in the game and starved its team to death.

Bulba

Learned
some years ago it was definitely not. the engine was arcade but sort of reliable*, and on the "manager" side it was light years ahead of football manager, with so much at your disposal and so many possible automations you could play it any way you wanted, from the omniscent being to the single player on the field.
i haven't been that entertained since player manager.

*: football manager 14: a game can end with 40 shoots on goal, posts hit and yet the team lost 1-0 to a much worse one.
i'm not pulling numbers out of my ass.

It happens very rarely in the game just like in the real life... I can remember a game a few years ago Arsenal (England) VS CSKA (Russia) where arsenal had like 40 shots with a number of 2 m empty goal misses and cska won 1:0. yeah this is football...

Bulba

Learned
It has to do with the history of FIFA manager. FIFA manager has its roots in German economy sims. German football managers games were historically always more economy oriented than their English counterparts. They were devloped games like Hanse, Patrician or Pizza Tycoon.
Then EA decided it wanted into the market, bought the license (which had until then belonged to Software 2000) and offered the lead developer of On the Ball (Ascaron) a Truckload of money, and put a lot of money into the game. As soon as they had driven into bankruptcy all competitors they lost all interest in the game and starved its team to death.
er fifa manager was always considered to be crap... it could not possibly drive anyone into bankruptcy, apart from themselves.

Arcane
er fifa manager was always considered to be crap... it could not possibly drive anyone into bankruptcy, apart from themselves.
I never played any version, but the bankruptcy of Software 2000 (Bundesliga Manager), Ascaron (Anstoß / On the Ball) and Ikarion (Hattrick) coincides with the last installments of their football manager games tanking when EA entered the market.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I never played any version, but the bankruptcy of Software 2000 (Bundesliga Manager), Ascaron (Anstoß / On the Ball) and Ikarion (Hattrick) coincides with the last installments of their football manager games tanking when EA entered the market.

FIFA Manager was always an EA title(old FIFA Soccer something is early 90's franchise) Not sure what you talking about,they never had a lead in the football sim market.

Arcane
FIFA Manager was always an EA title(old FIFA Soccer something is early 90's franchise) Not sure what you talking about,they never had a lead in the football sim market.
Now that Mobygames is back to normal we can sort this out. ;-)
If you look at the Fifa Manager series page you can see that the first version 2001 was only released in Germany.
You can also see that Gerald Köhler and Jörg Langenberg are credited for all FIFA Manager games (credits for the 2001 version are not in the database, but that was them as well) as well as for all Anstoss / On the Ball games up to 2000. EA simply made the lead designer and lead programmer an offer they couldn't resist.

Software 2000 (Bundesliga Manager series) (which held the Bundesliga license until EA bought it) filed for bankruptcy in 2002.
Ascaron (Anstoss series) went into its first bankruptcy in 2001.
Ikarion (Hattrick series) went bankrupt in 2001.
Greencode (which was the basic BM team from Software 2000) survived a little longer. They switched to making Handball and Ice Hockey Managers.

In Germany, FIFA Manager was the bestselling manager all the time. Football Manager isn't even available here, due to EAs licensing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom