Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

sullynathan

Arcane
hmm, I have the games but didn't play much

Athelas

Arcane
why the love for Amy hennig? Didn't she only work on uncharted?
Legacy of Kain writer.
Wouldn't that cement her status as a questionable writer even further? Outside of the first Blood Omen (which she didn't work on), most of the Legacy of Kain series is just a series of drawn out convoluted time travel shenanigans with no real rhyme or reason, presumably in order to milk as many games out of the franchise. The dialogue is great though (although becomes increasingly pretentious-sounding as the series goes on).

Latro

Arcane
Legacy of Kain writer.
Wouldn't that cement her status as a questionable writer even further? Outside of the first Blood Omen (which she didn't work on), most of the Legacy of Kain series is just a series of drawn out convoluted time travel shenanigans with no real rhyme or reaosn, presumably in order to milk as many games out of the franchise. The dialogue is great though (although becomes increasingly pretentious-sounding as the series goes on).
I think she's responsible mostly for the dialogue, possibly directing the cut-scenes too but not sure.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Legacy of Kain writer.
Wouldn't that cement her status as a questionable writer even further? Outside of the first Blood Omen (which she didn't work on), most of the Legacy of Kain series is just a series of drawn out convoluted time travel shenanigans with no real rhyme or reason, presumably in order to milk as many games out of the franchise. The dialogue is great though (although becomes increasingly pretentious-sounding as the series goes on).
The story is crazy and go nowhere at the end, I dunno if she is responsible for this but if she is:

The gameplay will surely be crap but the story might be salvageable.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Raven Software managed to deliver great SW games over 13 years ago, with Jedi Academy being the last in the Jedi Knight series.

Jedi Knight games are still played today. They're still fun and Star Warish, today.

These titles from EA won't last a year in people's memories, other than how shitty they were. Millions of dorrahs down the drain while Raven Software probably spent 10% of the budget and are still making a profit off it.
The jedi knight games were great but i always hated the clunky FPS beginning, just gimme the damn lightsaber. Though it does feel satisfying when Kyle eventually gets it. Amazing that people still play Jedi knight/Academy online today.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The jedi knight games were great but i always hated the clunky FPS beginning, just gimme the damn lightsaber. Though it does feel satisfying when Kyle eventually gets it. Amazing that people still play Jedi knight/Academy online today.
I suppose you're talking about the ones beyond Dark Forces 1 & 2 (and expansion), because those were fantastic FPS games.

Drakron

Arcane
Thats because Jedi Knight was a sequel to Dark Forces were Kyle wasnt a "Yet Another Jedi", that happened in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suppose you're talking about the ones beyond Dark Forces 1 & 2 (and expansion), because those were fantastic FPS games.
Yes. Can't remember if i played the Dark Forces series. How do they hold up today?
Considering I only beat them 1-2 years back without ever trying them beforehand, pretty fucking good. Dark Forces 1 is a polished and well made Doom style game, but with the extra charm of Star Wars. Sound effects, voice clips of the storm troopers, aside from the usual key card hunt it's up there in the subgenre. Dark Forces 2 + Mysteries feel like their own thing entirely, but serves as a great sequel. Bigger levels, with Jedi powers and (slightly useless) lightsaber shenanigans. Both games also have a nice variety of guns (with alt fire modes) and are usually useful all throughout the game. I'd say they're some of my favorite shooters from around that era.

Just be sure to get DF2 + Mysteries from GOG or something, other versions aren't configured well for modern machines and are a chore to get running.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Yes. Can't remember if i played the Dark Forces series. How do they hold up today?
Considering I only beat them 1-2 years back without ever trying them beforehand, pretty fucking good. Dark Forces 1 is a polished and well made Doom style game, but with the extra charm of Star Wars. Sound effects, voice clips of the storm troopers, aside from the usual key card hunt it's up there in the subgenre. Dark Forces 2 + Mysteries feel like their own thing entirely, but serves as a great sequel. Bigger levels, with Jedi powers and (slightly useless) lightsaber shenanigans. Both games also have a nice variety of guns (with alt fire modes) and are usually useful all throughout the game. I'd say they're some of my favorite shooters from around that era.

Just be sure to get DF2 + Mysteries from GOG or something, other versions aren't configured well for modern machines and are a chore to get running.
:salute:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.ea.com/news/an-organizational-update

AN ORGANIZATIONAL UPDATE

By Andrew Wilson, Chief Executive Officer

The world is changing around us – games are now a part of the lives of nearly three billion people, while a convergence of technologies is opening up even more ways to play. Now more than ever we have a responsibility to put our Players First. We have already made a number of important changes over the past year that have helped reshape marketing and publishing, and launch new initiatives in competitive gaming. Today, we are announcing additional updates to our organizational structure that are designed to strengthen our studios and technology platform:
  • The formation of EA Worldwide Studios. At a time when players are engaged in games across more devices, the tenets of making great HD and mobile experiences are converging. Our ability to blend our strengths to deliver amazing games across genres, geographies and platforms, in a networked environment, is central to our future success. EA Worldwide Studios will bring together our top creative talent in all of our great studios to work on EA’s powerful brand portfolio and new IP. EA Mobile and Maxis will join this central studios organization led by Patrick Söderlund. Samantha Ryan, who will now report to Patrick, will continue to lead our Mobile and Maxis teams. Sam will also take on leadership of BioWare, where her love for RPGs and experience with open-world adventure games is an outstanding fit to work with Aaryn Flynn and his great team.
  • The Frostbite team joins our Technology organization. Our drive to power everything we do at EA with world-class technology has never been stronger. Players expect innovative, stable and secure experiences, and the strong combination of our Frostbite engine and our digital platform will make this possible. As a result, our central Frostbite Engine team will move to the CTO group led by Ken Moss.
Every day, I am inspired by our work, our achievements, and the opportunity in front of us to accomplish even more incredible things for Electronic Arts and for our players.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Now more than ever we have a responsibility to put our Players First.
himZD0M.gif

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The solution to EA is simple: If you play computer games, then don't buy their games. If you're a developer, then don't take their money or have any dealings with them.

For me personally, EA is nothing but a sideshow. It's easy to avoid buying their games, because all of them are overproduced, made-for-console, day-one DLC popamole that I don't even want to play; and a studio that's weak and naive enough to sell out to EA was probably already circling the drain for one reason or another. They will produce perhaps one more good game (if that) before the EA cancer metastasizes in their office culture, at which point their subsequent games will typify EA popamole.

Until people are willing to make sacrifices and do what is necessary to pull the rug out from under EA, EA will continue to thrive. Modern history has shown us that there will always be plenty of idiots to prop up evil megacorps unless something truly profound happens (example: the meteoric rise of digital delivery and online sales killing off Blockbuster and several major brick-and-mortar electronics retailers like CompUSA and Circuit City), so we'll most likely be able to continue to enjoy circlejerking about EA for decades to come.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Until people are willing to make sacrifices and do what is necessary to pull the rug out from under EA, EA will continue to thrive. Modern history has shown us that there will always be plenty of idiots to prop up evil megacorps unless something truly profound happens (example: the meteoric rise of digital delivery and online sales killing off Blockbuster and several major brick-and-mortar electronics retailers like CompUSA and Circuit City), so we'll most likely be able to continue to enjoy circlejerking about EA for decades to come.

I think the problem is gamers, or whatever term you want to use, don't really think about any of that seriously enough to impact them in real life so they don't get invested in doing something about it. Retail chains going out of business due to circumstances or bad business practices is one thing because it has tangible impact, but for most people some overpriced video games or scummy nickel and diming don't register as relevant even if they partake in the hobby extensively. Hell, people who buy couple of games each year and just play those don't care because it's a non-issue for how much they spend on it. And god knows even loudmouths who go on and on about boycotts cave in because they gotta play that game as Modern Warfare 2 "boycott" on Steam showed, for example.

I genuinely don't know what feasible solution there could be other than educating people on the subject and making them aware of what damage this is doing in long term.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I genuinely don't know what feasible solution there could be other than educating people on the subject and making them aware of what damage this is doing in long term.

This. Absolutely this. A large LARGE portion of the "gaming" community are ignorant assholes that buy FIFA every year for their consoles, swallow the hype, drink the Dew and think all of that gives them "gaming cred".

There's a reason the SJWs tend to regularly come back to gamers as their "punching bags" for virtue boosting: We're kinda asking for it by purposefully being ignorant about our hobby.

BTW if anyone's wondering, the Ian Bell of Slightly Mad Studios is NOT the same Ian Bell that made Elite 30 years ago... though Elite is this Ian Bell's favorite game (for some reason ;) ).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's no "we" here. I'm only a gamer in a strictly technical sense, namely that I play computer games.

In every other meaningful sense, I'm wholly disconnected from the industry and from mainstream gamers and gaming culture. The Codex is nearly my sole window into gaming news and what's going on in Popamole Land, I've never played even a single mobile game in my life, I only skim off the richest cream of the console crop (I'll buy a console after it's been out for years to play the handful of games that are genuinely worthwhile), and I'm extremely choosy about multiplayer games. Most of the games I enjoy are prestigious old skool affairs or their genuinely worthy successors, which is why we're all fucking here to begin with.

I don't feel any sense of membership or responsibility to the tribe known as "gamers."

Realistically, mainstream gamers have a built-in defense to SJWs: indifference. The best way to deal with SJWs is to not pay them any attention at all. The sole reason SJWs are currently causing problems is simply because some people don't follow this rule and actually take SJW gibberish seriously.

There's a 10 billion-post megathread about Gamergate in the gaming subforum and you'll find I have fewer than half a dozen posts in it, because the fact is that gaming "journalists" and SJW game developers were never going to produce anything of value anyway, so no great loss. That ouroboros will finishing eating itself, just give it time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom