Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL Notch is rich but lonely Discuss!!!1!!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree they should shut the fuck up and be thankful. They're ungrateful fucks. It's his bitching and moaning on social media that is off putting.

mastroego

Arcane
Having an endless reserve of wealth makes the pursuit of happiness much easier given that you are free to pursue it in pretty much any way you want without mundane things like spending half of your waking time at work or not being able to purchase certain things getting in your way.

While that's true to some extent human beings are much messier than that.
Also work, while it implies fatigue, makes you feel more like a man in charge of his destiny, it makes you feel entitled to what you have and to the enjoyment of the little nice things life - despite everything - might throw at you now and then.
There's something to be said about balance and simplicity in life. The happiest people I know are all people who lead simple lives.

I don't know what happiness IS but I suspect that being randomly showered with lottery money is more likely to work against it than towards it.

Last edited:

hivemind

The happiest people I know are all people who lead simple lives.
You can lead a simple life if you are rich, there is literally nothing stopping you from doing so if such a lifestyle makes you happy

The only difference between a poor man who leads a simple life and a rich man who leads a simple life is that if the poor man suddenly gets cancer or something he is fucked while if the rich man gets it he can go to a private clinic for some top notch chemo for a few months till his health improves.

pippin

There'd be so many people to punch, my hand would be a broken bloody mess at the end of the day.

500px-POWERFIST.png

Norfleet

I guess the issue is that "hitting it big" is their ultimate life goal, and when they've achieved that, there's nothing left to achieve. They don't think, "I want to get rich so I can do X with my money", but "I want to get rich". Then they're rich, and suddenly they have no goal anymore. The goal is achieved. Now what? Now nothing, because there's nothing more they want to do with their life.
That's nonsense. My goal in life have always involved "having a lot of money". I don't have any specific goal of what I want to DO with my money, I just want to HAVE MORE MONEY. And when that happens? MORE! More is good, ALL IS BETTER!

Why do you need to DO something with your money? Isn't just doing what you regularly do, while having more money, good enough? DOING THINGS with your money is how you end up NOT HAVING MONEY anymore, unless that DOING THINGS involves GETTING MORE MONEY.

The best things to do with money:
1. Get lots of GOLD.
2. Hoard it in a DARK CAVE in the BOWELS OF THE EARTH.
3. INCINERATE PEOPLE WHO TRY TO TAKE IT FROM YOU WITH FIRE.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
It's a problem of his own creation. There's plenty of stuff you can do to have fun and meet people beyond waiting for the people you already know to have free time, staring at a computer screen, or 'partying with famous people' who you don't really like. Travel, learn to do something new, find some work that you can enjoy and do that. Meeting and interacting with people is harder when there's a massive imbalance in wealth, sure (hell even for me, waaaaaaay below Notch's billionaire level, it can be a source of awkwardness when dealing with people less fortunate), but it's hardly impossible, and there are plenty of people who he could meet and befriend without it being an issue.

Only boring people with limited ambition, creativity, and interests get bored and lonely if they have the free time and funds to do whatever they want. This is probably why so many lottery winners are miserable, they don't have the same ambitious character as most people who get incredibly rich by actually doing something, and they aren't accustomed to wealth like people who inherited it. In some ways, Notch is more similar to them than other billionaires, as his game getting so huge had only a limited amount to do with his own efforts, and you don't get the sense that he was a massively ambitious guy.

I wouldn't mind trading places with the guy, sure I make a good chunk of money but I actually work to make it. While it's not like I'm shortchanged on vacation days, it'd be nice as fuck to be able to do all the things I can afford any time I want to instead of having to wait for free time. He doesn't live far away at all, maybe I should drive over and ask if he wants to trade.

Edit: Also Ibiza is for college kids lol

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
The saddest part about Notch is that he is one of the very few people who could make the ultimate 'for-loss' game.

If I had billions of dollars I would certainly be willing to drop $10 million to make an rpg of my own design.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shit, even putting games aside for a moment this guy could do so much with his money. Maybe he is and it's just not publicized (talking charitable/investment ventures)?

Norfleet

If I was notch I'd sleep in a bed made of women.
Turns out it doesn't quite work that way. Despite all his money, at the end of the day, he's still a fat, uninteresting dork, and his women all leave him. Apparently, money alone cannot make you awesome. Now if he had money AND won a fistfight with a bear...

And here you see why men do stupid things. Because it doesn't matter if you live or die, being alive but not awesome is, evolutionarily speaking, the same as being dead.

mastroego

Arcane
You can lead a simple life if you are rich, there is literally nothing stopping you from doing so if such a lifestyle makes you happy

The only difference between a poor man who leads a simple life and a rich man who leads a simple life is that if the poor man suddenly gets cancer or something he is fucked while if the rich man gets it he can go to a private clinic for some top notch chemo for a few months till his health improves.

I know this is the logical analysis, but in practice it doesn't work quite that way.

Your health argument has more to do with lifespan than actual happiness. They are different things.
The point is that "poor" and "rich" people usually have very different mindsets.
I don't have time to delve into it right now, but, to make a quick example, a rather large subset of "rich" people are obsessed with the fear of losing money.
That becomes the focus of their lives instead of actual enjoyment of the possibilities.

Norfleet

I don't have time to delve into it right now, but, to make a quick example, a rather large subset of "rich" people are obsessed with the fear of losing money.
That becomes the focus of their lives instead of actual enjoyment of the possibilities.
Well, of course. How do you think you become rich? Poor people seem to display a total indifference to losing their money, which is why they keep doing so and thus remain poor. I see this all the time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you're rich not by pure luck (inheritance, lottery etc.) or criminal activity, there's a very high chance it's due to your intelligence, hard work, discipline and living responsibly.

If you're poor not by sheer misfortune or crime there's a very high chance it's due to your lazines, stupidity and irresponsibility to your own life.

There's nothing wrong with helping the poor but the brainless leftards' bleating about the poor being just victims of the system and therefore it's your enforceable duty to help is an evil sinister bullshit.

Turns out it doesn't quite work that way. Despite all his money, at the end of the day, he's still a fat, uninteresting dork, and his women all leave him. Apparently, money alone cannot make you awesome. Now if he had money AND won a fistfight with a bear...
gregoraci-e-briatore-mare.jpg

as you can see, money is more than enough, and i strongly doubt briatore has 2.5 billion dollars cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom