Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL Notch is rich but lonely Discuss!!!1!!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
If you're rich not by pure luck (inheritance, lottery etc.) or criminal activity, there's a very high chance it's due to your intelligence, hard work, discipline and living responsibly.

If you're poor not by sheer misfortune or crime there's a very high chance it's due to your lazines, stupidity and irresponsibility to your own life.

This statement is pure bullshit.

Machocruz

Arcane
Money is more than enough if you don't care about fidelity. I personally don't, but some guys have feelings and don't like their woman shagging better looking guys on the side.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Sure it's bullshit. And it has been for a long time given how our society works. Too many stupid people in high positions due to friendships (has nothing to do with hard work), too much ruthlessness to gain money, wealth always gained by exploiting others (which in fact is irresponsible), and at the same time diminishing other's chances to get rich (who you call lazy). Now tell me again that simple minded picture of the world you have...

hivemind

If you're rich not by pure luck (inheritance, lottery etc.) or criminal activity, there's a very high chance it's due to your intelligence, hard work, discipline and living responsibly.

If you're poor not by sheer misfortune or crime there's a very high chance it's due to your lazines, stupidity and irresponsibility to your own life.

There's nothing wrong with helping the poor but the brainless leftards' bleating about the poor being just victims of the system and therefore it's your enforceable duty to help is an evil sinister bullshit.
tbh getting rich by criminal activity and managing to not get caught is also usually due to your intelligence, hard work, discipline and some calculated risk taking

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sure it's bullshit. And it has been for a long time given how our society works. Too many stupid people in high positions due to friendships (has nothing to do with hard work), too much ruthlessness to gain money, wealth always gained by exploiting others (which in fact is irresponsible), and at the same time diminishing their chances to get rich (who you call lazy). Now tell me again that simple minded picture of the world you have...

The bolded words? Pure bullshit.

This librul lingo - greed, ruthlessness, exploiting - it's like sexism, misogyny, racism etc. Sure it exists the problem is for some people EVERYTHING is greed and exploitation.

EDIT: The problem with kids like you is you have absolutely no fucking idea what it really takes to run a business or be in any position of responsibility. As soon as you try to run a bloody lemonade stand you'll understand how difficult it is to be anything but an employee and how oppressive the governmnet can be for people creating legitimate wealth.

hivemind

There is no point in wasting breath on these topics with people like savant, nomask and awor.

At least Brady is a commie out of some insane political agenda whereas these guys are just genuine losers who cling to the savior idea of an all powerful nanny state.

Norfleet

as you can see, money is more than enough, and i strongly doubt briatore has 2.5 billion dollars cash.
Perhaps not, but he's probably a more interesting person. Notch? Notch apparently lacks anything interesting about him, he's just some guy who was lucky in a strange, random way. And so he's SO RONERY in the end.

Kz3r0

Arcane
as you can see, money is more than enough, and i strongly doubt briatore has 2.5 billion dollars cash.
On the latter you are wrong.
Guys, cut the crap, women all get the hots for men of wealth, fame, status or all of three plus various combinations, if you want to gauge how awesome some privileged guy is you have to look if he can oly get gold diggers and straight out whores.
For a real life example look at the two best buddies, Silvio and Putin, Silvio pays too much cheap whores or does favors to enternetainers, Putin can choose, on a side note Putin lifts.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
First world oblivious people...

Calling most of the poor population lazy is a very ignorant statement. Maybe it's true in some parts of the world, but it's not the norm.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First world oblivious people...

Calling most of the poor population lazy is a very ignorant statement. Maybe it's true in some parts of the world, but it's not the norm.

No you dildo, of course I don't mean the poor in Cuba, North Korea or some African dictatorship.

I'm talking about countries where people are actually allowed to get legitimately rich.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
No you dildo, of course I don't mean the poor in Cuba, North Korea or some African dictatorship.

I'm talking about countries where people are actually allowed to get legitimately rich.

Opportunities vary. You don't need to be in Africa to live in a country where there are almost no jobs and you need to be well connected even to get a part time gig paying you 200€ a month. You need only be in potato European countries.

You try to start a business, but you have to take into account that people's buying power is very diminished and without some warranties no one will lend you money anyway.

If you want to limit the discussion to Sweden, Germany, Uk, USA, sure, you guys go at it and I guess your argument may have some merit. Although, I'd bet some kid born in a ghetto with alcoholic parents will have to work a bit harder than some successful lawyers son in any part of the world.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Opportunities vary. You don't need to be in Africa to live in a country where there are almost no jobs and you need to be well connected even to get a part time gig paying you 200€ a month. You need only be in potato European countries.

Nonsense. There are hundreds of people in EACH potato country who made legitimate fortunes and thousands more who are simply well-off, which is enough in my book. Being successful doesn't necessarily mean being a billionaire.

I'm not truly wealthy by any measure but I'm not trying to explain it with excuses about lack of opportunities.

thesoup

Arcane
So let me get this straight. This thread got derailed from BTE into Notch being a loser despite all that money. And now this thread is getting derailed further by lobertardians talking about how lazy poor people are? How shall it be derailed further? Tune in next time in GENERAL GAMING.

Norfleet

You try to start a business, but you have to take into account that people's buying power is very diminished and without some warranties, no one will lend you money anyway.
On the other hand, you also have to factor in that the amount of money required to be a rich man in Potatoland isn't very high as a result. If you have $10000, in America, you're a poorfuck. In Potatoland, you're pretty well-off.

Nonsense. There are hundreds of people in EACH potato country who made legitimate fortunes and thousands more who are simply well-off, which is enough in my book. Being successful doesn't necessarily mean being a billionaire.

I'm not truly wealthy by any measure but I'm not trying to explain it with excuses about lack of opportunities.

My issue with that argument is that I am wealthy by most standards (not billionaire rich list stuff, but I've got a few million dollars worth of residential and commercial property, a good income, and only about $350,000 in mortgages on those properties), and I'm lazy as absolute fuck. I'm so lazy that I'm typing this during working hours. When I was a lawyer, I was even lazier. And about 95% of my income doesn't even come from my job, but from rental income - I'm literally a rent-seeker.

I didn't go to university because I worked hard - I went to university so I didn't have to work hard! Even when I earnt my initial money, it was by sitting on my ass in an office. Meanwhile, the guy that cleans my office earns fuckall while dong a far more onerous job.

One of my tenants is a plumbing business. They put their hands in shit for a living, and pay me money for the privilege of having my agent deposit money in my account each month. Sure, the agent also arranges repairs and care for the facilities, but I don't do any of that shit, and given that I just incorporate the cost into the rent I'm charging them, I'm not even paying for it.

I don't own any low-income area properties, because I prioritise capital gains over having consistent rental income, but if I did, how the fuck could you say that I would be working harder than some toilet cleaner or bricklayer's assistant who was paying me rent?

Me, and whole class of people like me, make money by oligopolising land and then collecting rent from people who actually work hard. They're working hard, I'm getting their money. 100% of the productive contribution is theirs.

And apparently I'm a hard-working entrepeneur who builds this fucking nation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My issue with that argument is that I am wealthy by most standards (not billionaire rich list stuff, but I've got a few million dollars worth of residential and commercial property, a good income, and only about $350,000 in mortgages on those properties), and I'm lazy as absolute fuck. I'm so lazy that I'm typing this during working hours. When I was a lawyer, I was even lazier. And about 95% of my income doesn't even come from my job, but from rental income - I'm literally a rent-seeker.

I didn't go to university because I worked hard - I went to university so I didn't have to work hard! Even when I earnt my initial money, it was by sitting on my ass in an office. Meanwhile, the guy that cleans my office earns fuckall while dong a far more onerous job.

One of my tenants is a plumbing business. They put their hands in shit for a living, and pay me money for the privilege of having my agent deposit money in my account each month. Sure, the agent also arranges repairs and care for the facilities, but I don't do any of that shit, and given that I just incorporate the cost into the rent I'm charging them, I'm not even paying for it.

I don't own any low-income area properties, because I prioritise capital gains over having consistent rental income, but if I did, how the fuck could you say that I would be working harder than some toilet cleaner or bricklayer's assistant who was paying me rent?

Me, and whole class of people like me, make money by oligopolising land and then collecting rent from people who actually work hard. They're working hard, I'm getting their money. 100% of the productive contribution is theirs.

And apparently I'm a hard-working entrepeneur who builds this fucking nation.

Obviously "working hard" is not enough. You could work your ass off digging ditches and then filling them up again. But your work would have no value for anyone. You can work hard as fuck as a brick layer or janitor - and I did both - but these are jobs with low monetary value because the supply is too high compared to the demand. In other words - everyone can be janitor. But not everyone can be a lawyer.

Working hard is not the only requirement for legitimate wealth. It's also intelligence, responsibility, discipline, among others. You behaved intelligently and responsibly when you decided you'd study law. And then you obviously made some intelligent investment decisions. Don't feel guilty for being well-off. There are scores of people in this world who'd gladly take away that burden from you, and your life too.

And lastly - if you think private ownership of the land is bad what do you think happens if you make all land public? Where do you think all those famines and poverty and misery in places like Soviet Union or China came from? A mismanagement on a galactic scale resulting from the marriage of public agriculture policy, public agriculture companies and public land. China path to prosperity began with decollectivization of agriculture. The first and most essential cornerstone of any prosperous society is private ownership and management of land, that's the unequivocal lesson of the history for anyone who's willing to take it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom