Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
gothic decreased carrying capacity down by 1 slot from the previous elminage: original and it was done on purpose to make everyone have the same number of item slots as characters do in Wizardry; this is to promote more detailed resource management. the only way to have items additional to what chars can carry is to have someone take the mysterious bag ex-skill on char-gen or on class-change.

(you can add it by editing the save games with a hex editor too which you can find out how to do in the american wiki page: http://elminage-gothic.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Mods )

the limited carrying capacity is intentional and you're not really meant to be able to carry everything with you, as when you play w/ the mysterious bag skill you end up with so much overflow loot to sell that you completely break any semblance of an economy. everybody equipped with what they're using, perhaps 9 antidotes and 9 magic maps in the beginning before learning "Venom-Fei", then once you do replacing the 9 antidotes with 9 Full-Potions or 9 Revival tonics or whatever and then everything else blank for loot is more than enough; and obviously throwing away loot you don't need.

you're gonna get so much money you don't really have to worry about it and i would suggest chucking loot you don't need instead of hoarding it for selling.

EDIT: as for stats mid-game onwards (from the royal tomb dungeon and onwards) you can get Ankhs that increase stats by +1 upon use as rare drops but other than that (and a few select items such as the shuriken which increases AGI, or the power axe which increases STR) it's as level ups. the best way to assure a class-change into an advanced class is to make the stats as even as possible from char-gen but this is something you will only learn from playing the game as almost every will always just max out the class's relevant attributes on char-gen.

upon class-changing all stats fall down to Racial Minimums. one way to manipulate the random level up is to save and reload until satisfied.

and yes, this is also something taken from Wizardry.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
hackncrazy

- it also contains other fun things like a ghost that is chasing you right from the beginning of the game and moves a step whenever you move a step and if it touches you it is instant game over.

- all encounters respawn when you reload a game so the game effectively punishes you for not solving a floor in 1 run.

- an example of just how punishing the game can get is one floor which is simply a giant minefield and there is only 1 correct route through it; and each encounter can easily wipe your party if you're not playing smart and will respawn if you save and quit, and of course, there's a goddamn fucking ghost chasing you the entire time.

have fun!

I almost made it to the top, but got stuck in the cube or something (a 3 floor puzzle full of warp.pits etc). you can't complete the puzzle if you don't have the required item and you can't get out of that place once you enter there.

Courtier

Prophet
Wiz8 is completely different from all the games discussed here, it's an ok game but deviates from the formula in every way. Better off asking in the grpg thread with regards to this one in particular.

Valkyrie is a useful class, long reach w/ spears and healing spells are pretty good.

Yeah it's possible to get through with only mages, but you're better off with some guys in front to soak up damage and engage in melee. These don't have to be your own guys, you can use NPCs (7th and 8th partymember) for this. Also the already slow as fuck game will take twenty times as long if you mostly rely on magic.

desocupado

Magister
Wiz8 is completely different from all the games discussed here, it's an ok game but deviates from the formula in every way. Better off asking in the grpg thread with regards to this one in particular.

Valkyrie is a useful class, long reach w/ spears and healing spells are pretty good.

Yeah it's possible to get through with only mages, but you're better off with some guys in front to soak up damage and engage in melee. These don't have to be your own guys, you can use NPCs (7th and 8th partymember) for this. Also the already slow as fuck game will take twenty times as long if you mostly rely on magic.

There's a mod to speed the game up. That stuff is unplayable without it. I don't remember where you can get it, but google probably has the answers. Wiz8 speed fix or something.

Courtier

Prophet
Yah, it's slow as fuck with it installed. I'm not sure there exists a word in the English language to describe how mind-meltingly slow it plays without it

We can beat Wiz 1 three times in the time it takes to finish a combat in 8, even if the enemies waddle to you quicker

Courtier

Prophet
you're gonna get so much money you don't really have to worry about it and i would suggest chucking loot you don't need instead of hoarding it for selling.
I recommend against doing this because you'll need every penny for training up new characters (one chance upon classchange, 1GP=1XP) when branching out or going through classes for spells. You don't spend your money in the shop, you save millions to for example turn the Cleric into a decently leveled Valkyrie or get a character to Lv~14 in Alch/Cler/Mage (about 1.2 mil per class).

Saving a lot of money allows you to let characters you want to classchange catch up where otherwise they'd have been permanently left behind (no donation feature outside of the once-off). I do chuck things already in the item log that are worth peanuts.

To raise stats, if you have an Alchemist in their teens (~Lv13+) you can cast Protectorate (raise stat by 1) once every levelup and relearn it on the next level. You can e.g. pay a couple million to train a new Alch and have them raise your character's stats when they first learn the spell, relearn the spell with levelups they have left, repeat. Combine with special use items. Same method for capping stats in order to use Protectorate for alignment change. Usually at med-high levels, characters will cap almost every stat except ones the class is bad with like int for a Fighter or piety for a Mage.

E:also the luck stat highly influences how many stats you gain and whether you lose any on levelup

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I was reading some posts and I got the conclusion that Apple II version of wiz 1 is actually the hardest one (Spells when party is surprised, murphy's ghosts giving more than 4000 exp points when in the apple version you get only 1400 or something, you can tiltowait the shit out of Werdna's Vampires, when in my last playthrough the motherfuckers resisted all except zilwan), right?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They finally replied: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/interview-motoya-ataka-on-japanese-dungeon-rpgs/

Interview: Motoya Ataka on Japanese “Dungeon RPGs”

dev.png

The Wizardry series began in 1981 with Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, and ended in 2001 with Wizardry 8, with its iconic first-person dungeon exploring and turn-based combat being all but dead. At least in the West…

In Japan, however, the Wizardry series is alive and spawns over 30 titles across all platforms, including mobile games and MMORPGs. Plus, it inspired countless other “DRPGs” – Dungeon RPGs, as they are called – such as Etrian Odissey, Dungeon Travelers, Class of Heroes, Dark Spire, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Elminage, etc…

Motoya Ataka has a long tradition with those. He began at the source, working in Wizardry Empiregames in the early 2000’s, then eventually directing his own spin-off at Michaelsoft: the Wizardry Xth series, which moved the setting from medieval fantasy to modern day Japan.

The game was well-received, but Michaelsoft closed down, so Ataka-san took his team, called “Team Muramasa”, and founded is own company, Experience Inc.

There he created the Generation Xth trilogy, a “spiritual sucessor” to Wizardry Xth, and just kept pushing out DRPGs: Labyrinth Cross Blood, Operation Abyss, Students of the Round, Demon Gaze, Ray Gigant and the recently localized Stranger in Sword City.

With such credentials, he seemed like the perfect person to talk about then DRPG genre, its differences to western dungeon-crawlers and the passion Japanese gamers feel for this classic RPG style. So, without further ado, here’s the interview:

Ataka-san, you created many Dungeon RPGs, a type of game that isn’t made anymore in the West but is still very popular in Japan. What is your favorite aspect of this style of game?

I believe the genre lends itself easily to various surprises and innovations born from the activity (interactivity) of the user, the path to and realization of a goal, and lucky occurrences and unforeseen accidents. So, I would say the answer is to evoke such things through game design.

Strangers in Sword City is the first of your games to be released in English on Steam, and was very well received by critics and fans. Are you surprised by this reception? Do you plan to bring more games to Steam?

While we were surprised by how well the game seemed to have been received, we are very happy to see that players are enjoying themselves! In regards to new releases on Steam we currently have nothing scheduled.

A new, updated version of Stranger in Sword City was recently released in Japan, featuring three new classes and many other improvements. Are there any plans to also update the English Steam version?

In regards to New Interpretation: Stranger of Sword City, this title was created from the feedback collected from our players who filled out a questionnaire here in Japan. If we were to do an overseas version, we would do another questionnaire and collect feedback in order to create a more enjoyable product. There are no plans to bring over the current New Interpretation: Stranger of Sword City

Some of your games were exclusive for Windows, others were exclusive for consoles. Do you think PC gamers are much different from console gamers? Do you plan the game’s design around those differences?

At the time when Generation Xth was released to the Japanese users, I do not believe there was a large difference. In particular for both PC and console games, we do not really consciously create design differences.

I’ve read that Wizardry V is your favorite Wizardry game. It was a game with many hard puzzles and riddles, but your games and most Japanese DRPGs tend to avoid those. Why is that?

Titles created by our company, while not in large numbers do use some puzzles and riddles. While it is a matter of taste with titles, we would like to consider including more to the best of our abilities if a title requires such features in the future.

After Wizardry V the series radically changed – Wizardry VI removed the town, Wizardry VIIhad a large open world map and Wizardry 8 was fully 3D. However, Japanese DRPGs still mostly follow the Wizardry I-III formula. Why you think that is? And would you like to one day make a game influenced by these other games, like an open-world map or a fully 3D DRPG?

Many of our fans love the traditional DRPG style, so as a developer, I want to meet those expectations. Furthermore, there already exist many new high-end interpretations of the DRPG genre, so I mostly want to admire it from a user’s standpoint.

All your DRPGs are turn-based. Have you ever thought of doing a real-time one, likeDungeon Master or Might & Magic VI?

Personally it is a game that I like, therefore if chance allows it I would like to try my hand at making one.

Do you still play Western RPGs? Which are your favorite recent ones?

Although it was a while back, I managed to clear Fallout 4. I really enjoyed how it linked the modern setting that helped immerse the player in the game world.

Finally, the RPG Codex interviewed Robert Woodhead, creator of Wizardry, and he said he has no idea why Wizardry is so popular in Japan. What would you tell him?

I remember when I played Wizardry as a child, the game was so intellectual – and the people who played it seemed so cool – that it completely blew away the stereotypical image of the video game otaku. During the genesis of the Japanese RPG (the Famicom’s prime), such an awe-inspiring game coming from the West shook up the Japanese RPG genre and would captivate gamers’ hearts for years to come.

My deepest thanks to Ataka-san for his time, and for the Experience Inc. staff members who made this interview possible.

duanth123

Arcane
They finally replied: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/interview-motoya-ataka-on-japanese-dungeon-rpgs/

Interview: Motoya Ataka on Japanese “Dungeon RPGs”

dev.png

The Wizardry series began in 1981 with Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, and ended in 2001 with Wizardry 8, with its iconic first-person dungeon exploring and turn-based combat being all but dead. At least in the West…

In Japan, however, the Wizardry series is alive and spawns over 30 titles across all platforms, including mobile games and MMORPGs. Plus, it inspired countless other “DRPGs” – Dungeon RPGs, as they are called – such as Etrian Odissey, Dungeon Travelers, Class of Heroes, Dark Spire, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Elminage, etc…

Motoya Ataka has a long tradition with those. He began at the source, working in Wizardry Empiregames in the early 2000’s, then eventually directing his own spin-off at Michaelsoft: the Wizardry Xth series, which moved the setting from medieval fantasy to modern day Japan.

The game was well-received, but Michaelsoft closed down, so Ataka-san took his team, called “Team Muramasa”, and founded is own company, Experience Inc.

There he created the Generation Xth trilogy, a “spiritual sucessor” to Wizardry Xth, and just kept pushing out DRPGs: Labyrinth Cross Blood, Operation Abyss, Students of the Round, Demon Gaze, Ray Gigant and the recently localized Stranger in Sword City.

With such credentials, he seemed like the perfect person to talk about then DRPG genre, its differences to western dungeon-crawlers and the passion Japanese gamers feel for this classic RPG style. So, without further ado, here’s the interview:

Ataka-san, you created many Dungeon RPGs, a type of game that isn’t made anymore in the West but is still very popular in Japan. What is your favorite aspect of this style of game?

I believe the genre lends itself easily to various surprises and innovations born from the activity (interactivity) of the user, the path to and realization of a goal, and lucky occurrences and unforeseen accidents. So, I would say the answer is to evoke such things through game design.

Strangers in Sword City is the first of your games to be released in English on Steam, and was very well received by critics and fans. Are you surprised by this reception? Do you plan to bring more games to Steam?

While we were surprised by how well the game seemed to have been received, we are very happy to see that players are enjoying themselves! In regards to new releases on Steam we currently have nothing scheduled.

A new, updated version of Stranger in Sword City was recently released in Japan, featuring three new classes and many other improvements. Are there any plans to also update the English Steam version?

In regards to New Interpretation: Stranger of Sword City, this title was created from the feedback collected from our players who filled out a questionnaire here in Japan. If we were to do an overseas version, we would do another questionnaire and collect feedback in order to create a more enjoyable product. There are no plans to bring over the current New Interpretation: Stranger of Sword City

Some of your games were exclusive for Windows, others were exclusive for consoles. Do you think PC gamers are much different from console gamers? Do you plan the game’s design around those differences?

At the time when Generation Xth was released to the Japanese users, I do not believe there was a large difference. In particular for both PC and console games, we do not really consciously create design differences.

I’ve read that Wizardry V is your favorite Wizardry game. It was a game with many hard puzzles and riddles, but your games and most Japanese DRPGs tend to avoid those. Why is that?

Titles created by our company, while not in large numbers do use some puzzles and riddles. While it is a matter of taste with titles, we would like to consider including more to the best of our abilities if a title requires such features in the future.

After Wizardry V the series radically changed – Wizardry VI removed the town, Wizardry VIIhad a large open world map and Wizardry 8 was fully 3D. However, Japanese DRPGs still mostly follow the Wizardry I-III formula. Why you think that is? And would you like to one day make a game influenced by these other games, like an open-world map or a fully 3D DRPG?

Many of our fans love the traditional DRPG style, so as a developer, I want to meet those expectations. Furthermore, there already exist many new high-end interpretations of the DRPG genre, so I mostly want to admire it from a user’s standpoint.

All your DRPGs are turn-based. Have you ever thought of doing a real-time one, likeDungeon Master or Might & Magic VI?

Personally it is a game that I like, therefore if chance allows it I would like to try my hand at making one.

Do you still play Western RPGs? Which are your favorite recent ones?

Although it was a while back, I managed to clear Fallout 4. I really enjoyed how it linked the modern setting that helped immerse the player in the game world.

Finally, the RPG Codex interviewed Robert Woodhead, creator of Wizardry, and he said he has no idea why Wizardry is so popular in Japan. What would you tell him?

I remember when I played Wizardry as a child, the game was so intellectual – and the people who played it seemed so cool – that it completely blew away the stereotypical image of the video game otaku. During the genesis of the Japanese RPG (the Famicom’s prime), such an awe-inspiring game coming from the West shook up the Japanese RPG genre and would captivate gamers’ hearts for years to come.

My deepest thanks to Ataka-san for his time, and for the Experience Inc. staff members who made this interview possible.

There are no plans to bring over the current New Interpretation: Stranger of Sword City

latest

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys is there any good wizardry/wiz-clone on Android?

There's loads, but only if you're counting emulators. You could quite easily DL one of the many SNES emu's, (I use Snes9x EX+ personally, but I'm sure others are available) and then patch an ISO of Wiz Gaiden IV with MrRichard's translation patch, then transfer that to your phone and play a game that's 10X better than any blobber designed for in-app microtransactions.

Or you could download PPSSPP and play either of the Class of Heroes games or Elminage Original.

Or download DraStic and play Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey 1-3 or SMT: Strange Journey.

The main draw of android gaming for me is the emulators. I know it's not going to last forever, but there's a big backlog of games I can get through before I run out and have to play the latest cow-clicker trash.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Guys is there any good wizardry/wiz-clone on Android?

There's loads, but only if you're counting emulators. You could quite easily DL one of the many SNES emu's, (I use Snes9x EX+ personally, but I'm sure others are available) and then patch an ISO of Wiz Gaiden IV with MrRichard's translation patch, then transfer that to your phone and play a game that's 10X better than any blobber designed for in-app microtransactions.

Or you could download PPSSPP and play either of the Class of Heroes games or Elminage Original.

Or download DraStic and play Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey 1-3 or SMT: Strange Journey.

The main draw of android gaming for me is the emulators. I know it's not going to last forever, but there's a big backlog of games I can get through before I run out and have to play the latest cow-clicker trash.
Or get ePSXe and Wiz 1-3 or 4-5 remakes.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
2meOfst.jpg

kqG7bvI.jpg

YcLRJsk.jpg

Yd4cGtV.jpg

Ilj9Tdw.jpg

bsfl7x8.jpg

Hahahaha, that's right.

yf862M3.jpg

I like that cartoony humor of the first Wizardries.

ue8r1wU.jpg

Some useless loot.

FXgJhiN.jpg

An easy random encounter.

SmlEZYh.jpg

Be in that prison forever or die trying, the last is better tahn nothing.

sWSy65x.jpg

vgKUtA7.jpg

That was easy.

2teTUKc.jpg

bEiY7bC.jpg

KVgAgB0.jpg

A patroller party.

nt1ZNRp.jpg

Shit, I'm dead.

HOKJ59y.jpg

Another attempt.

D805cTs.jpg

mmm...

7V0vhiu.jpg

These corridors are endless.

xB6BaYP.jpg

YES! I was out of monsters.

Ofv56Rj.jpg

Oh, really?

9rC6OAE.jpg

DKle9FO.jpg

:shredder:

1wERtdz.jpg

Too soon.

w3tuOdy.jpg

bUGPP2k.jpg

e6wYNXt.jpg

Copy-protection shit.

kSZeomY.jpg

Those do-gooders remodelated my Maze or something? I don't remember any Catacombs.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
K5MKhRM.jpg

IxaIyxv.jpg

:dead:

uMyH5Df.jpg

Another patroll group, easier compared to Ghostbusters.

dQ7RTci.jpg

:Gulp: Yes?

O1H4OV6.jpg

A Group of guards, there are a lot of fixed encounters with them.

VKxeIOR.jpg

JG5dleJ.jpg

RrVIO8G.jpg

The oracle of Moron

dSahj81.jpg

Is like those psychics who appear in the mornig shows or something.

NWrOcwp.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

3DNaL7z.jpg

N-not here my old friend.

s6BiSnD.jpg

When I imagine that I were entering in chambers with a lot of tombs, this makes a lot of sense.

fHp7TZ8.jpg

Another attempt with the Ghostbusters.

uYvv9vx.jpg

Well... You don't want to mess up with the Ghostbusters.

tHQnmhp.jpg

:russia:

7EGvDJf.jpg

:?

duaicCc.jpg

There is fire or something, I'm in the Hell? (Dante's Inferno?) I don't get it.

Bf8LDzA.jpg

It's quite hot, I think I understand.

theauSQ.jpg

But I'm curious.

4QqbSk8.jpg

34ZqAR1.jpg

Now I understand the marshmallows thing, I entered the Hell on Earth, the USSR (or I just overthinking this shit). So a dog, curiosity killed the cat, very clever Roe.

V7TSgCF.jpg

I died and I have to see his fucking face smiling :argh:

i9T3z6C.jpg

Now on level 8.

Im4PFxp.jpg

Yes, I saw it seconds ago.

SYykVuX.jpg

Maybe I could beat those Ghostbusters now :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom