Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Dorarnae

Arbiter
started a new game with elminage original on pc. damn I love that series. they need to release the other games on pc and a new game of course hehe.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Dorarnae
What's your impressions on Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain?

Just gained the wall-breaking ability and it somehow rubs better on me than Demon Gaze 2.
Maybe is due to its various gameplay mechanic freshness...

Dropped Demon Gaze 2 before the end of 1st dungeon.
Gave me the impression Experience just slaps new art assets on Stranger of Sword City with minor game mechanic tweaks. And that winning-the-population-over thingy also turns me off.

What's your current top 3 vita dungeon crawlers?

P.S. Try setting your Vita(TV?) to 720p instead of 1080i resolution for better video recording.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Coven and labyrinth of refrain was the surprise of the year for me. considering it's the very first drpg for nippon ichi, they did quite well. The class system/battle is quite simple, but I found the exploration to be fun.
saddly I don't see much replay value with the game(gameplay wise anyway), but it was worth to play it once.

Demon gaze 2 improved a couple things for the gameplay/items/artifact...but the dungeon exploration is ughh...it gets a bit better later on but to be honest it's still quite simple even at the end of the game. I am slowly doing the extra content now, dungeon are a bit better, the farming should be alright but boss have so much hp, it's ridiculous lol. if you don't do the extra content, it's a short game...

3 favorites vita crawler, there's at least dungeon travelers 2, I guess we can put dungeon travelers 2-2 even if it's not out yet lol. other than that, probably between stranger of sword city or labyrinth cross blood. thing with stranger of sword city, is I played that game like 5 times now, I am tired of it lol.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

started post game recently, I am a bit low lvl for this (around lvl 30-35) and 15 hours played hehe.
I should try a speed run or something someday.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae keep it up! I have a elminage: original playthrough currently grinding up levels in the post-game Old World (psp version).

goddamn the graphics look so good in the PC port of E: Original. I have the PC port installed but i haven't started a playthrough of it because there is no different content to that of the psp version.

btw, soon-ish i'll be buying a 2nd hand VITA exclusively to play dungeon travelers 2 and other crawlers. I would've already done this (bought the VITA) but I saved up and bought a Treadmill instead which i've been using past few months in order to lose weight.

was also planning on buying 2nd hand 3DS for crawler games but the sudden playability of the CITRE emulator means my cheap ass won't buy it and instead will play everything emulated, since crawler games aren't demanding in terms of graphics so my PC/emulator will run them.

VITA emulation however is years away so will have to buy it eventually for the crawler games, of which there are many out and coming out soon. Aside from DT 2 which VITA crawlers do you recommend Dorarnae?

(for that matter, which ones do you recommend for 3ds as well)

I ask because recently i've only been playing street fighter 5 so i'm out of the information loop.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I personally liked Labyrinth cross blood on vita. I know you're not a huge fan of their crafting ect, but I think it's one of experience inc. best title with stranger of sword city, the game is also on pc but on vita there's voice and additional song and content I think.
there's ToHeart2 Dungeon travelers, the second game is better gameplay wise but first game is still nice, can't wait to play 2-2 and see what kind of music it'll have...

as for 3ds, I'd go with wizardry asterisk(ds title), bit grindy at one point but I did enjoy the game. seemed like Wizardry 7 with the ''world map'' but gameplay is just like every other jp wizardry (which is good, because I am slowly trying to play 6 and while some things are nice, I hate having no town and only 1 party....unless there's something I don't get, but I feel like I am playing something completely different...). reason I have a jp 3ds is pretty much just for elminage gothic lol. well Etrian odyssey 5 wasn't too bad.
I also played Toushin toshi, it's not crawler, more like a visual novel rpg but I did enjoy it, even if I didn't understand anything.

yeah the pc and psp version of elminage original are almost identical aside from the graphic....pc version has one bug when meeting the fendel group in the old world but nothing major, it's just a bit weird....but I can at least change the song on the very last section of the old world map, it wasn't possible on psp.

I heard that mary skelter(vita) is good but is quite easy. I haven't tried the game and I am too scared to try it, because it's often the same thing with most compile heart game, they have some nice idea sometime but the balance and difficulty is shit. I tried some of their game and I've had enough of them.

other than that, not much going on, pretty much only Dt2-2 coming out next year. well operation babel is coming in english too, game ain't that bad it's better than abyss but if you have played generation xth code realize, not much point to play it again.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
ohh you got to try coven and labyrinth of refrain. gameplay wise is very simple....but the way they've done the exploration, it feels fresh. if it ever comes out in english, try it.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
You should try Deepest Dark already. Xulima can't cost that many pesos especially if on the holiday sale.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
looks like elminage original is out for download on 3ds. was posted on starfish facebook, I wonder if they'll release some others news soon, they're not very active....

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
did they add any content? a remix version of Original would be dope as fuck.

(And yes, I know that Original is already the remix vesion: Elminage 1 came out first for ps2, and then for DS and then finally for PSP. Each consecutive port added content and/or tweaked classes and items).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorateen

none of the NDS/3DS "remix" releases have ever been localized before. they are always the very last iteration of that specific Elminage game and they usually come with the most content.

(with that content traditionally being OP loot/races which break the game balance, and redesigned floor layouts to make dungeons easier).

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorateen

none of the NDS/3DS "remix" releases have ever been localized before. they are always the very last iteration of that specific Elminage game and they usually come with the most content.

(with that content traditionally being OP loot/races which break the game balance, and redesigned floor layouts to make dungeons easier).

I checked on the jp wiki to see what were the difference. seems to be like original on psp(US), which mean the game has the music from the third game. the faceload is done with the camera.
and that's pretty much it.

I wonder if they'll redo the second game someday, I'd like to do all the extra stuff the ds version added..

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i tried playing through Elminage 2 "Remix" NDS port but, by god, the graphics...

seriously, I know the last thing on anyone's mind should be graphics and fuck, i mean, I actually would've preferred clean wire-frame white lines instead!

Elminage 2 NDS "Remix" graphics and frame-rate are just fucking atrocious. It does feature 2, maybe 3 I think new dungeons, although 1 of the new dungeons is simply an extension of a post-game one (more floors).

In the end I decided to simply play though PSP ver. of Elminage 2, and it's also the one I attempt translating every once in a while.

Courtier Dorarnae

Dorarnae

Arbiter
i tried playing through Elminage 2 "Remix" NDS port but, by god, the graphics...

seriously, I know the last thing on anyone's mind should be graphics and fuck, i mean, I actually would've preferred clean wire-frame white lines instead!

Elminage 2 NDS "Remix" graphics and frame-rate are just fucking atrocious. It does feature 2, maybe 3 I think new dungeons, although 1 of the new dungeons is simply an extension of a post-game one (more floors).

In the end I decided to simply play though PSP ver. of Elminage 2, and it's also the one I attempt translating every once in a while.

Courtier Dorarnae

elminage 2 remix seemed to have the monster recruit thing or something (or maybe it's like the first game with wedding). but the monster seemed to keeps special skill. Like I remember seeing a video on nico nico and the guy had a high lvl monster that suicide to kill everyone...

Dorarnae

Arbiter
sigh, kinda wish those medal that let you change class were more common. even with the drop rate boost they're stilll quite rare :S

Deleted Member 16721

Emulators on Android are definitely where it's at. Get yourself a 128 gb SD card and load it with roms from NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1/NDS/PSP. Tons of good RPGs there.

Also, Oubliette on Android is cool. I like it. There are other crawlers on Android but you have to dig a bit. I would suggest checking out a few like Oubliette, Endless Depths (which is isometric), etc., but then downloading rom sets for the emulators as they all have ports of various RPGs and crawlers, like the Might & Magic games or some Wizardry games, etc., and they play well in the emulators with the touch screen controls. If you want to take it to the next level, get yourself a bluetooth controller for the tablet. I recommend this one - https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telesc...id=1482345065&sr=8-2&keywords=ipega+bluetooth - It's not the greatest controller ever but it works well, no input lag and you can play any game you like with it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae? What game? In fact, doesn't matter:

I can easily send you a download link to which Elminage game it is you want this for:

- A modified file (the TREASURE.xls file) replacing some items that are useless or overly-represented with Medals, and/or alternatively simply filling in empty treasures (there are a LOT of empty treasure slots in E: Gothic) with Medals.

Where do you want the Medals to appear? I mean, after telling me the Elminage game(s), in which dungeon do you want Medals to be (slightly, of course!) more prolific inside chests?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae? What game? In fact, doesn't matter:

I can easily send you a download link to which Elminage game it is you want this for:

- A modified file (the TREASURE.xls file) replacing some items that are useless or overly-represented with Medals, and/or alternatively simply filling in empty treasures (there are a LOT of empty treasure slots in E: Gothic) with Medals.

Where do you want the Medals to appear? I mean, after telling me the Elminage game(s), in which dungeon do you want Medals to be (slightly, of course!) more prolific inside chests?

nah sorry I play legit hehe.
I managed to get everything I needed

Dorarnae

Arbiter
having a lvl 3000 ish alchemist is so fun. putting like 100 ap on each piece <3

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
god the updated sprites look so BEAUTIFUL.

Starfish has been using the candlestick-holding, robe-wearing skeleton for over 15 years now, btw, as the dude appears all the way back in Wizardry Empire 1.

dude's never looked so GOOD, tho!

Dorarnae

Arbiter
god the updated sprites look so BEAUTIFUL.

Starfish has been using the candlestick-holding, robe-wearing skeleton for over 15 years now, btw, as the dude appears all the way back in Wizardry Empire 1.

dude's never looked so GOOD, tho!

hehe yeah, he was changed in elminage 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom