Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What a bad sorcery is this! Somebody must separate first seven wizardrys from animu fap bait abominations:mob:

Try Elminage Gothic, Wizardry gaiden 4 o stranger on sword city. You will find much more loyalty to core game mechanics than in any modern western RPG.

aweigh I'm in the mood for some Wizardry. I'm going to play Wizardry 2 while I advance on MM3. Do you like this party?

Samurai, Fighter/lord, fighter/samurai
Thief/ninja,cleric/bishop, mage/bishop.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That's pretty much a top tier party, especially for Wizardry 1-3. Remember that ninja can function naked thus allowing for more inventory space. Personally I'd keep the bishop count to only 1 though, no real pressing need to groom two characters to be bishops IMO.

it's not a first person dungeon crawler, it's a roguelike, but damn I like this game, the music...dunno if it's me but this game doesn't seem all that popular and it's personally my favorite roguelike so far.

I grabbed this as it looked like a similar game to Shiren. Do you have any final impressions? I watched a couple of your vids on youtube and seemed pretty solid. I'm surprised that this game costs with DLC 90 US Dollars but most of that DLC is items and cosmetics.....

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the ninja's natural AC lowers as he gains level making it so that eventually he'll have a lower AC (this is better, btw) naked than by wearing armor.

i don't remember if scenario 2 this 2nd thing applies but eventually a completely naked ninja can also target enemies from the back row.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
it's not a first person dungeon crawler, it's a roguelike, but damn I like this game, the music...dunno if it's me but this game doesn't seem all that popular and it's personally my favorite roguelike so far.

I grabbed this as it looked like a similar game to Shiren. Do you have any final impressions? I watched a couple of your vids on youtube and seemed pretty solid. I'm surprised that this game costs with DLC 90 US Dollars but most of that DLC is items and cosmetics.....

it's a pretty solid roguelike. I really like Shiren but other than the main story I have a hard time to do other dungeon, I must suck but I find Shiren to be quite though. Genso wanderer is easier but is still challenging enough to be fun (unlike sorcery saga where it's cake walk)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having problems in Wiz 2 to give my human thief the stats needed for being a ninja. I'm at level 8 with all the requirements made except 16 luck and 15 piety, and no matter how much save scum the level ups, I can't raise the piety even one point. What's this shit?

I'm thinking about making another new character and farm Murphy until I get the stats to make him a Ninja.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've seen humans can't raise piety above 15, so they can't be ninjas. Let's roll a Gnome then.

:negative:

After only one minute:

ede7482b854e9c2324042de7448c3ef3.png

:dance:

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
So does anybody know where to find the console version manuals of Llylgamyn saga?Hell were they even ever made?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Except the first two NES Wizardry games and Wizardry 5 on the SNES, all the other versions were made for the Japanese market, hence the manuals being also in Japanese, so not very useful to you

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
You don't really need platform-specific manuals though.

Btw, does anyone know if they made the PS1 Llylgamyn trilogy games easier than the originals (my only point of reference). Started playing the PC98 version of Wizardry 1 today and was fucking raped by the first set of Bushwackers. I remember them being a pain in the beginning in PS1 version, but not so rapey!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I found Wiz 1 on PC98 less forgiving than in other versions as well... a theory of mine is that they may have based those ports off the Apple releases (DOS ports' difficulty was tuned after feedback from Apple players), but it's just a theory as any relevant information on this, were it even to actually still exist somewhere, would be in japanese.

I have a video on my YT channel showing the first fixed encounter simultaneously in PS1, SNES and PC98 versions and the PC98 encounter roll produces a more dangerous grouping than the PS1 and SNES versions.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just got around to mapping most of Floor 1. Fuck, this shit is like crack. Every time I return from the maze, I think to myself: let me just explore a bit more of that area on this floor before I call it a day.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So I finished Etrian Odyssey X tonight(main story that is), and I dunno, I have mix feelings with the game. The music was good, even though it's a lot of remix, the selection is good. the class selection could of been better but I think what hurt the game the most are the dungeon, they are like usual, linear but the main game is so much longer now, so exploring a bunch of corridor and few square (3 by 3) room with an event in the middle gets a bit boring after a while. It worked in previous game where you had like 20-25 floors to explore, but now in this one the main story alone you probably have like 40-50 floors -_-
Also class balancing seems a bit weird, I've seen others on youtube destroying most boss, my party sucked but I stilll managed to beat the game on heroic without too much trouble but it took a while because my dmg sucked.

I think Etrian odyssey 5 is better than X. 5 just needed a tiny bit more extra content for post game and better music overall. X(or nexus) is....weird.

Twizman

Scholar
Is there a way to get the battle messages in English in Prisoners of the Battles? I can see a number for how much damage I'm doing, but don't know whether Katino is hitting or not.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can hex edit the game ISO and google translate the battle messages. I began doing just that last year but gave it up halfway when I accidentally "lost" the ISO during some file moving shenanigans between drives. Basically I deleted the ISO I had been editing mistakenly thinking I had another version of it, but didn't, so I just stopped.

You need to re-format the english words to fit correctly inside the box which was the most tedious thing.

EDIT: The reason I mention this this way is because this isn't actually "standard". The majority of games usually utilize some sort of encryption that must be broken, or if not that then a compression method that needs to be reversed in order to extract the files inside in order to edit them, however a lot of japanese PS1 and PS2 games didn't have any of that shit, and this one is one of them.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The developers of Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land also made ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat. I'm asking if ASH is any good, or the wiz spinoff for that matter.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The developers of Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land also made ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat. I'm asking if ASH is any good, or the wiz spinoff for that matter.
Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of the existence of this game, probably because the translation is not official nor available on romhacking, I'll try the game at some point.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sure are a lot of kitties in wizardry (or bad links). I need to find your vid link for comparisons. I actually thought gog would have ate up the opportunity to have ps or w/e versions of the saga and werdna’s revenge.

Funny Murphy slime makes a sort of appearance in Wizards and Warriors (Rumphy I believe). Fucking beating slime repeatedly. (Does get a bit boring).

I was disappointed I couldn’t transfer to all games (I guess you could hack a little in Maelstrom to emulate the end of Legacy of Llylgamyn.

Now who’s up for some Nemesis?

newtmonkey

Arcane
It certainly looks bad (no offense to MuscleSpark). I couldn't imagine playing a traditional Wiz game with a mouse, just seems inefficient. Keyboard is the way to go, but gamepad would be second best I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom