Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a futuresque RPG

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I've looked over my game collection and, aside from Deus Ex, I don't have any futuristic/cyberpunk RPG's (Fallout dosen't count). What would be an ideal choice for someone who loves the atmosphere of Neo-Tokyo, Hives from 40K and generally sc-fi stuff? Turn based or not, it dosen't matter. I'm starving for some augmentations and future techno-babble.
:neveraskedforthis:

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Dragonfall: DC. Certainly if you're looking for good story and atmosphere.

However that's kind of my goto recommendation for the time being... it's a good one though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday and Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed maybe?

I haven't played those myself tho.

Else:

- Albion (altho the sci-fi theme is low here. You start out in a spaceship but it becomes fantasy then)
- Anachronox (haven't played but it's good from what you hear)
- Captive (Dungeon Master in Space)
- Mass Effect
- Xenomorph (another Dungeon Master in Space)
- Knights of the Old Republic

Those are the sci-fi rpgs that come to my mind right now but I'm not sure if they fit your tastes

Out of those probably Anachronox comes the closest

Xathrodox86

Arbiter

Else:

- Albion (altho the sci-fi theme is low here. You start out in a spaceship but it becomes fantasy then)
- Mass Effect

Those are the sci-fi rpgs that come to my mind right now but I'm not sure if they fit your tastes

Anachronox is looking really good. Also I've played both KoTORs and liked them a lot, even if the second one was rushed.

Mass Effect is one of those games I really need to play, but I'm simply too afraid to start.

Shadowrun is a must. I've played PnP version and loved it.

How the hell did I forgot about SS2? :oops:

m_s0

Arcane
Mass Effect ... I'm simply too afraid to start.
Rightfully so.

3cMPwJE.gif

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Else:

- Mass Effect

Buck Rodgers not played them.

Albion is awesome

Anachornox is fucking awesome

Captive never heard of it

ME1 was ok but needed a lot of work to bring it up to adequate, but the they sacked the writer and changed the story, changed it in to a shooter then the whole thing fell to shit, but shit is the opiate of the masses.

Xenomorph never heard it except in Alien/s

KOTOR1 good at the time, a bit 'meh' now.. KOTOR2 is an utter abortion

/opinion

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
The other Deus Ex.

The real one, you mean. :)

Anachronox is great but not an actual RPG (it's designed to resemble those weeaboo abominations).

Ok this is true because of the combat, but it doesn't really feel like a Jrpg because of the western humour, characters and sensibilities. It would be a shame if the guy was put off playing it because of that strict classification, it is still a great game.

SS2 is great and technically an RPG, but you kinda wish it wasn't.

Great, or technically an RPG? :P

almondblight

Arcane
The SNES and Genesis Shadowruns are worth checking out, too. They're different games, but they both have some really nice and some really bad elements.

Cyber Knights seems to be getting good reviews. Android only though.

Put Dex on your watch list. Not so much to do in the game yet, but it's promising - like a 2D Deus Ex.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
The SNES and Genesis Shadowruns are worth checking out, too. They're different games, but they both have some really nice and some really bad elements.

Cyber Knights seems to be getting good reviews. Android only though.

Put Dex on your watch list. Not so much to do in the game yet, but it's promising - like a 2D Deus Ex.

Dex looks like an old school beat 'em up. Might check it tough.

Also I've played first DX and Human Revolution. Tried Invisible War but it was pure shit.

I'll give Anachronox a shot, mainly because I've heard a lot of good things about it.

SS2 I need to play. Just now now. First I'll try those Shadowrun games I think.

BloodNet looks fucking awesome. As a oWoD fan I love stuff, such as this.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Mass Effect is one of those games I really need to play
nah

The first one.. maybe if he's really desperate to get an idea of it.. but it's not cyberpunk, in fact it's pretty much the very opposite, a clean and shiny well ordered future, kind of like a future built by Apple fanatics. Just as long as he's not looking for a cohesive storyline, or likeable people.

As for Bloodnet, I keep firing that up then I get distracted. Nice pic though.

Eyeball

Arcane
Anachronox is the correct answer here. It really is exceptional - it STILL looks amazing despite being old as dirt and it's as funny and well-designed as ever.

I have one piece of advice for you though: patch it. As good as it is, Anachronox is as unstable as a hippo on rollerskates without heavy patching.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Gonna echo Shadowrun Returns, especially Dragonfall. I swear to god I keep telling people that game is in my top 5 (3?!?) RPGs released in the last 15 years.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Mass Effect 1 is good for what it is imho. The atmosphere is fantastic.

Oh yeah, the citadel really does feel like a big spacestation and bouncing around on moons really does feel like bouncing around on moons, the comabt isn't even that bad, but then you start to meet the people and 'experience' the story and it all falls to shit.

V_K

Arcane
BloodNet looks fucking awesome. As a oWoD fan I love stuff, such as this.
Unfortunately, it's not a very good game.
There are also two MegaTraveller games, but I haven't played them and I heard they're not without issues too.

Also, how come that no one mentioned Underrail?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom