Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a game similar to Realms of Arkania 1 and 2

lorn

Educated
Recently I've been thinking about how much I liked the mechanics of those games, i.e. travelling on an overland map, taking several days to reach your chosen location or even better, just select a path to follow and see where it leads; encountering events on the way, making camp and sustaining your party. Then play those locations in a different style, in the case of RoA first person grid based dungeons and cities as well as isometric combat.

I've been wondering are there any other games using a mechanic like this out there? I've played Darklands and Heroes of a Broken Land, which are somewhat similar, but I can't think of anything else. I guess, you could say Dragon Age: ORigins also uses it, but there really aren't many locations to discover there.

lorn

Educated
Expeditions: Conquistador

Played that, too. I didn't think of it, as I always felt it is more like Heroes of Might & Magic, Etherlords or King's Bounty with it's overland movement and tactical combats. But you are right, you could add it to the category I'm looking for as well, due to the very strong RPG elements, expedition party instead of an army and camping mechanic.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Darklands is the closest I can think of, and you've played it already. Every other game is a stretch.

And you are not very specific either. Judging by your op-post, a lot of games can technically fit the bill.

Sunless Sea
- exploration and long trips
- sustaining party, managing resources
- stats and inventory (RPG!)

What? You never said a word about setting.
Etherlords
Are you fucking kidding me? You should go to your local church and ask Padre
Holy Father
Batushka
Whoever you meet there to cleanse your soul. Never speak of that game again. Better yet - never speak of any russian rpg again.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Recently I've been thinking about how much I liked the mechanics of those games, i.e. travelling on an overland map, taking several days to reach your chosen location or even better, just select a path to follow and see where it leads; encountering events on the way, making camp and sustaining your party. Then play those locations in a different style, in the case of RoA first person grid based dungeons and cities as well as isometric combat.

I've been wondering are there any other games using a mechanic like this out there? I've played Darklands and Heroes of a Broken Land, which are somewhat similar, but I can't think of anything else. I guess, you could say Dragon Age: ORigins also uses it, but there really aren't many locations to discover there.

SoZ has a lot of problems but it has a lot of mechanics in common with what you're describing, and is at least worth a playthrough, in my opinion. I still need to play RoA: the whole series is sitting untouched in GOG account. D:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Albion and Ambermoon are somewhat similar presentation-wise.
But what makes the RoA series unique isn't just the different perspectives/game modes but also the intertwining of every aspect of gameplay with your party's skills, i.e. the deep simulation behind it.
There aren't many if any party based RPGs that can match it in that regard, especially when it comes to more situational or non/combat abilities.
I also loved the little text encounters in dungeons and on the world map, also quite unique or reminiscent of old text adventures.

lorn

Educated
Grimwulf
I wouldn't say Sunless Sea fits the bill, as combat is resolved on the map directly and the only other gameplay element are the decisions made in the logbook. Sid Meier's Pirates would certainly be a better fit than Sunless sea.
I also wouldn't say I wasn't specific, I asked in the title for games similar to RoA 1 and 2, the post only described the mechanics of those games, so people who haven't played RoA have an idea what I mean.
Etherlords isn't really an rpg, it's a card game with a tacked on campaign.

ScottishMartialArts
SoZ as in Storm of Zehir? I have NWN2 on gog, but never played more than the original and mask, I know it won't be that to similar to RoA, but I should give it a try, thank you.

NotAGolfer
True, those are also great aspects of RoA. But it makes me wonder, why seemingly nobody tried to adopt the overland game mechanics of RoA, they provide such a great atmosphere and possibility for exploration, but most games with an overland map only use it as an option to go from A to B with maybe a random battle in between.
Ambermoon is a game, I should look at, I love Albion and Ambermoon is basically the predecessor.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You still did not pinpoint the main criterias you liked in RoA.

Anyway, I remembered a game that has quiet a lot in common with RoA. It's called Vengeance of Excalibur.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You still did not pinpoint the main criterias you liked in RoA.

Anyway, I remembered a game that has quiet a lot in common with RoA. It's called Vengeance of Excalibur.
First I thought wtf but then I saw the map exploration part.
Nice find. :thumbsup:

I'd also recommend Oregon Trail for the map exploration part, dunno which version, didn't try them out myself, but the videos I found look like fun.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Spirit of Adventure - the precursor to the Realms of Arkania games is quite similar and not bad, though the UI is quite clunky by today's standards.

The Gold Box games have overland travel, isometric combat and grid-based movement.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
SoZ as in Storm of Zehir? I have NWN2 on gog, but never played more than the original and mask, I know it won't be that to similar to RoA, but I should give it a try, thank you.

Yup. It uses a completely different world map system from what's in the OC and MotB. The game has a lot of weaknesses, but if you like overland travel and exploration, it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Spirit of Adventure - the precursor to the Realms of Arkania games is quite similar and not bad, though the UI is quite clunky by today's standards.
The ending though could easily win The Most Stupid RPG Ending of All Time award.

I don't even remember its ending - or whether I finished it. What was so bad about it?

V_K

Arcane
The ending though could easily win The Most Stupid RPG Ending of All Time award.

I don't even remember its ending - or whether I finished it. What was so bad about it?
In a magnificent plot twist the lady, who hired you to investigate the drug, turns out to be the alien monster, who's behind the drug. Why did she hire you in the first place? In her own words - "to fail".

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

In a magnificent plot twist the lady, who hired you to investigate the drug, turns out to be the alien monster, who's behind the drug. Why did she hire you in the first place? In her own words - "to fail".

Still better than Mass Effect 3.

lorn

Educated
Thank you all, you posted some interesting games I'll certainly check out.

I also found a more recent game: Tales of Illyria. It is an android game, lacks character creation, has no location exploration beyond textboxes and is very lightweight, when it comes to the combat system; but the overland mechanics are very similar to RoA.

V_K

Arcane
For the first couple of hours it does remind RoA/Darklands a bit but then you realise just how much more simplistic it is and it starts getting really repetitive.
There is some location exploration in fact - I've been to a couple of dungeons, but you have to get them as random events, which is rather inconvenient.
Also, everything-but-the-kichen-sink setting doesn't really work well with that kind of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom