Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Looks like Pillars of Eternity 2 is going to be officially announced soon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Even though Josh Sawyer has been dropping hints about it since December 2015 and Feargus Urquhart outright revealed that it was in development back in May, Obsidian have pretended that the existence of Pillars of Eternity 2 is a big secret. Now it looks like they might be ready to drop the charade. Today, their official website began redirecting to a teaser page featuring an obviously Eder-ish symbol and quote. See the page's URL? That's 'LA' for Louisiana, as in Project Louisiana, which is also the name of a mysterious board they opened on their forums today. But we on the Codex know the truth. Here's the image on the teaser page:

If you look carefully, you'll see a spiral shape to the upper right of the Eder quote. That's a Vailian letter A, according to the Vailian alphabet Josh Sawyer posted on Twitter and Instagram earlier this month. But wait, there's more! A clever user on the Obsidian forums dug into the teaser page's innards and found an additional seven symbols, presumably timed to be revealed over the next week. These symbols too are letters, some of which are from the Engwithan and Aumaua alphabets posted by Josh last year.

Together, these letters look like they're meant to spell DEADFIRE, as in the Deadfire Archipelago, the hazardous island region to the south of the Dyrwood that has been strongly hinted to be the setting for Pillars of Eternity 2 over the past few months. It looks like we're bound for a nautical adventure. Perhaps we'll learn more in today's Pillars of Eternity director's commentary stream, and if not today, then in a week for sure.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Don't bet on it. But then again I've been out of the woodwork for long enough not to know the latest bits og gossip.

Will the codex approve of this game or, based on previous one, rank it sub :outrage:.

AMG

Arbiter
So it's a direct sequel?
Weird, the companions got pretty conclusive ending slides at the end of the first one.
Not to mention you already killed an avatar of god, some super ancient dragon powered by adra and a last member of the pregenitor civilization that created everything, who lived a hundred lives. Also probably something in the expansion, which I didn't play.
What's left to do in the gameworld? Killing gods themselves? Looks like they're set up for some really silly lvl 20 noob syndrome. But maybe I'm reading too much into this and returning companions will be just NPCs.

AMG

Arbiter
Josh Sawyer conveniently answered this in his interview with the Codex.
I just read it and his answer doesn't really explain anything. It's easy to say "we'll manage", but a lot harder to actually pull it off. I don't think it's a problem you can solve frankly. Since they used BG2 as the reference point, they had to cram all the EPIC stuff in the first game already, or people would have complained about killing kobolds and skeletons all game. You just have to roll with the silliness at this point, because it's quite difficult to imagine designing more powerful enemies, without ending up with something resembling "Coldsteel the hedgheg".
But it's not like inconsistency between in-lore powerlevels is a dealbreaker or even that important.
I guess we'll be dealing with even secreter cults and ancienter undead.

Old school Bioware was way more forward thinking about this, in BG1 you are essentially dealing with just some asshole in edgy armor and his friends. And a bunch of spiders. For shame Sawyer :smug:.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If they can deliver White March tier content even the Codex will have to swallow its bile with this. The question is whether their worst areas can match up to Pillars of Eternity's DLC areas from the last game.

More worryingly on the financial front, Tyranny has sold 130k copies on Steam and is looking financially unsuccessful barring a sale and a big tail, and without a Kickstarter Pillars of Eternity 2 is almost certain to undersell its predecessor. Banner Saga guys recently made comments along the lines of "why the fuck didn't we Kickstart banner saga 2 FUCK" because of the extreme lack of marketing Banner Saga 2 had. If this is reflected in PoE2 as well, with no Kickstarter and a Tyranny style marketing delivering really poorly for the company, then they might be in trouble and undersell, even with the increased attention to a flagship title.

Last edited:

Lexxx20

Learned
My guess that it's referring to St. Waidwen who was working in the field when he met God and caused all events of Saint's War including the killing of god Eothas with a bomb "Godhammer". I hope that means PoE2 will be a prequel - Saint's War is amazing period lore-wise and story-wise.

Tigranes

Arcane
Volcanic islands / Faux Renaissance Italian dudes is a Good Choice in terms of spicing the setting up. Let's see if they can up their game.

Re: how to make a sequel, every time there's a fucking sequel people wring their hands about oh no how do they continue the story oh no what level will i start at oh no what about save game compatibility it is so inconsequential to whether you get a good game that delivers the same kind of qualities the first game did. Who the fuck cares if it's a prequel or a sequel or a sidequel or up your ass quel, all they have to do is make a good story in some relation and that's best done by not pigeonholing them because oh no you had an emoshunal connection with Aeris and you gotta see her again. Mechanics wise POE will need a huge revamp anyway since the original system was really only built for levels 1-12, but I don't care whether I start at level 1 or 6 as long as people butthurting about their precious experience points from a different game forces it into epic levels stupidity. Save game compatibility is nice to carry over C&C but you can do it in other ways, and let's not kid ourselves POE wasn't exactly nonlinear.

(That said, yes, Saint's War would be a cool time to set it. Mostly ranting at past experience here.)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i wish the entire backstory of the godhammer bomb would've been an actual scenario played through in the actual fucking game.

it's easily the most interesting part of any narrative bit in PoE, and the scenario itself would've made for FANTASTIC opportunities for the player to engage in codex beloeved "C and C".

Prime Junta

Naasitaq is in the Deadfire Archipelago. Wonder if Sagani and her mess of (grown-up) babies will show up after all?

ArchAngel

Arcane
So it's a direct sequel?
Weird, the companions got pretty conclusive ending slides at the end of the first one.
Not to mention you already killed an avatar of god, some super ancient dragon powered by adra and a last member of the pregenitor civilization that created everything, who lived a hundred lives. Also probably something in the expansion, which I didn't play.
What's left to do in the gameworld? Killing gods themselves? Looks like they're set up for some really silly lvl 20 noob syndrome. But maybe I'm reading too much into this and returning companions will be just NPCs.
Maybe they will pull Kotor 2 trick for PoE 2.
And I can guess how. You lose your memories, have to regain them all game and at end you find out the essence of the dead God Eothas entered your body and you become a new God with his portfolio by the end of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom