Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Looks like Pillars of Eternity 2 is going to be officially announced soon

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I understand man believe me this is the last place where you want to be touchy about your likes or dislikes in games; I came here because of Grimoire and there is that....

:whatho:

Sizzle

Arcane
This teaser confirms Pallegina (which we already knew will be in the game).

Eagerly waiting the next one - where they'll (hopefully) show us something new :)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually me too think BG better than BG2 in some fields - in short it is game about adventures, while BG2 is a game about claustrophobic adventures on rails without actual spirit of adventures.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm you guys think we will get a whole new protagonist or a Throne of Baal like continuation where you get all medieval with the gods to become the biggest baddest one? I would actually prefer a new protagonist

Fever

Educated
I would prefer a new protagonist as well, and also to meet my previous MC as the famous lord/lady of Caed Nua. This way, the imported savegame would still make sense, but I'm not sure how the returning companions could be tied to the new protagonist.
I suppose that Eder/Aloth/Pallegina coming back and the fact that a war against the gods is already hinted mean that we'll get to play with our old, powerful MC.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Talking about Pillars 2 I have to be honest here, I think I like the combat in Tyranny especially for spellcaster; it makes you feel like you actually have something to do in the battlefield.
In Pillars I feel most spellcasters are there to do a couple of abilities and then hang back while everyone else does the hard work, this is even harder since there are no prebuffs so you never feel you have a role either before or in combat.
Say what you will but I truly feel that the combat in Tyranny is an true evolution of a computer based system on the same way Dragon Age did, since there are no "rounds" the combat has to have a stopgap from becoming a clickfest and in reality the cooldowns work very well here since it also applies to melee and ranged attack so everybody feels like the are on the same page
Maybe limiting the number of enemy encounters actually helped them to finetune that aspect of the game
From Sawyers shit eating grin and his overall response to Tyranny he will balance the shit out of everything again and suck up any fun for the sake of parity

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
When I was putting in hundreds of hours on repeated playthroughs of F: NV, I used to read Sawyer's formspring religiously and looked up to him.

Now I view him with disdain.

lol, even Sawyer's greatest fan (Roguey) doesn't like Sawyer's games anymore.

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain"
- Michael Chris Avellone

aratuk

Cipher
It's gonna be a Figstarter, right? Didn't Obsidian commit to launching a crowdfunding project on Fig when they put Feargus on the board-of-whatever at Fig, or something?

Quillon

Arcane
It's gonna be a Figstarter, right? Didn't Obsidian commit to launching a crowdfunding project on Fig when they put Feargus on the board-of-whatever at Fig, or something?

Yep. They even asked backers to record themselves telling why they backed PoE about 2 months ago, prolly to be used in the figstarter video for PoE 2.

Prime Junta

lol, even Sawyer's greatest fan (Roguey) doesn't like Sawyer's games anymore.

Hu?

How I Believe Pillars of Eternity Stacks Up to Other RPGs

The Worthy Successor: It blows both Icewind Dale games out of the water (though I admit I think Isair and Madae are more interesting antagonists than Thaos), and I enjoyed it more than the first Baldur's Gate (which I did like once it got going in chapter 3). I expect and hope Pillars 2 will make BG2 look quaint by comparison.

The Best Combat of Obsidian's Catalogue: It knocks Dungeon Siege III off its perch. Obviously it doesn't have the best role-playing or writing, but it's decent enough and far more ambitious than DS3 and South Park while retaining their level of polish. I believe Sawyer made the right call with his priorities; it just took over a year of refinement to make it right.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
because they want money. it's not complicated, brah.

no, wait, you're right. they're literally evil.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It blows both Icewind Dale games out of the water

lul

IWD2 was pretty crap on account of Sawyer's involvement, but it's still miles ahead if only because it's not using a crap system like PoE.
Never even going to get close to IWD1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IWD2 was pretty crap on account of Sawyer's involvement

What do you believe he did wrong that someone else would have done right? I'd argue that he saved the project, considering he interrupted his lead design duties on The Black Hound to work on it after IWD2's initial lead designer quit because he thought it'd be a black mark on his record.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
How I Believe Pillars of Eternity Stacks Up to Other RPGs

The Worthy Successor: It blows both Icewind Dale games out of the water (though I admit I think Isair and Madae are more interesting antagonists than Thaos), and I enjoyed it more than the first Baldur's Gate (which I did like once it got going in chapter 3). I expect and hope Pillars 2 will make BG2 look quaint by comparison.

The Best Combat of Obsidian's Catalogue: It knocks Dungeon Siege III off its perch. Obviously it doesn't have the best role-playing or writing, but it's decent enough and far more ambitious than DS3 and South Park while retaining their level of polish. I believe Sawyer made the right call with his priorities; it just took over a year of refinement to make it right.

I noticed among the young men, the lack of criteria and sense.

Beware of the preachers of decline!

They like to make comparisons about mediocre works, and be greeted with respect for quoting irrelevant statements about obscure celebrities!

For such men are false apostles, deceitful developers, disguising themselves as apostles of incline.

Woe to you when you speak well of these obscure celebrities. Sorrow awaits you in the form of decline.

For the one who sows to his own mind with these false idols are slaves of corruption.

Be faithful to the old-school classics for only in the classics you may have peace and not going astray.

Seek first the kingdom of grognards and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He means like Christian saved.

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

From the tittilating influences of 'fun'

http://aok.heavengames.com/gameinfo/ask-sandyman/ask-sandy-xiii/

Q) What is the worst game you have ever taken part in making? Why was it bad?

A) Darklands. It had two big strikes against it; the lead designer had no idea of what makes a game fun, and management insisted on releasing it in a pre-alpha stage.

the lead designer had no idea of what makes a game fun

:abyssgazer:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
wiat, sawyer shitting on darklands?

That's Sandy Petersen. He also made some of the least-polished levels for Doom and Quake so he better watch where he throws those stones. :M

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sorry, my mistake.

Say, roguey, by any chance (aside from darklands) has sawyer ever mentioned what his favorite RPGs are? I'm genuinely curious. especially since he went on record dismissing Wizardry games as non-RPGs. Don't worry, I won't start on that topic again, no use begrudging sawyer his opinions.

but now i wanna know what he does consider "real rpgs".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sorry, my mistake.

Say, roguey, by any chance (aside from darklands) has sawyer ever mentioned what his favorite RPGs are? I'm genuinely curious. especially since he went on record dismissing Wizardry games as non-RPGs. Don't worry, I won't start on that topic again, no use begrudging sawyer his opinions.

but now i wanna know what he does consider "real rpgs".

His top three are Fallout, Pool of Radiance, and Darklands.

He's not dismissing Wizardry-likes, he's just saying things that were once called role playing games that don't have what he considers role playing are not role playing games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom